Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Coming to Fox Sports Midwest

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers Coming to Fox Sports Midwest

This absolutely made my morning. I almost plopped down $160 a few days ago for League Pass. Glad I waited.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/other...b6dd52285.html

The St. Louis Pacers, anyone?

The NBA’s Indiana Pacers aren’t making the move from Indianapolis to Missouri’s largest market, but they are going to have a major television presence here for the rest of their season.

Fox Sports Midwest has struck a deal to televise 38 of Indiana’s 50 remaining games, starting tonight when they play in Boston at 7 (St. Louis time) and followed at 6 p.m. Saturday with their meeting with Milwaukee.

Fox Sports Midwest general manager Jack Donovan said live sports telecasts are a priority, that the goal is to have “games on every night of the week’’ whether it be the Cardinals, Blues, colleges or high schools. He said the absence of Blues games because of the NHL lockout had no impact on adding the Pacers.

“We wanted to get this up and running at the start of the NBA season,’’ he said, but it took a while to get the deal done. And although the schedule could change a bit if the NHL labor stalemate is broken, it probably would not be major revision.

The games tonight and Saturday will appear on Fox Sports Plus, the outlet to which spillover programming is sent when another event airs on the “main’’ channel. The location of FSM-Plus varies by programming provider, and most of the Pacers’ telecasts will be there — only eight of the 38 games on the schedule are set for the primary FSM channel. The first of those is at 6 p.m. Tuesday when Indiana faces defending NBA champ Miami.

On the surface it appears that the Pacers, who lead the NBA Central Division, are a low priority for FSM’s main outlet — a women’s basketball game between Northern Iowa and Illinois State is set for tonight while the NBA goes to the secondary option. But Donovan said it’s a complex scheduling situation.

“There are a lot of different contracts and promises we’ve made to teams and leagues,’’ he said. “We’re trying to find the right balance.’’

Donovan said FSM-Plus is “widely available’’ in most cases. However, DirecTV and Dish Network are not on board yet for the Pacers telecasts on either outlet because of a technical issue that is being addressed.

St. Louis is in a bit of a no-man’s land for pro basketball, with the Pacers, Chicago Bulls and Memphis Grizzlies all being within about 250-300 miles of St. Louis. FSM had been considering airing a mix of Pacers, Grizzlies and Oklahoma City Thunder telecasts (they all are properties of a Fox regional outlet) but it will show only the Pacers for now.

“This is a start,’’ Donovan said. “Maybe that’s something we can do at another time.’’

Nonetheless, the fact an NBA team is going to be shown on a regular basis in this market is a breakthrough. FSM will pick up Fox Sports Indiana’s telecasts. Chris Denari does play-by-play with either Quinn Buckner or Austin Croshere on commentary. Quinn has the call tonight.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great exposure for the team and great news for you! I used to live in Springfield, Missouri back in the late 90's and they would advertise Pacers games on FSMW but never show them! Used to drive me crazy!!

Default Re: Pacers Coming to Fox Sports Midwest

Maybe we can get some of that money back that we have been giving to their defunct ABA team.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Mood

I guess it's actually kind of a return moreso than "coming to" Fox Sports Midwest.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Hopefully this will help the financial situation of the Pacers too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thank you NHL for being just as greedy as the NBA??

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you NHL for being just as greedy as the NBA??
    Just as? The NHL is about to lose its second full season in 6 years or something like that to a lockout. Even the NBA players union and owners aren't THAT crazy.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Just as? The NHL is about to lose its second full season in 6 years or something like that to a lockout. Even the NBA players union and owners aren't THAT crazy.

As an NHL fan, it's a sore subject and Gary Bettman is the worst commissioner on the planet. But from the quotes there, it sounds like something Fox Sports Midwest may try to do moving forward--airing more NBA games (regardless of whether the NHL is playing or not). In my initial excitement, I glossed over the fact that only 8 games are going to be on the primary FSMW channel. I went to set my DVR, saw the game wasn't listed tonight and then saw in the article about the FSM-Plus channel, which I don't get because I have Directv. I may give them a call after work today to see what's up. Hopefully that situation will be resolved soon enough.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I guess it's actually kind of a return moreso than "coming to" Fox Sports Midwest.
    Really? When were the Pacers originally on FS Midwest?

When they first came onboard in 1997. It wasn't until FS got the exclusive rights to all of the games that FSI came online.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Yeah, to me FSI is still the oddity. Every now and then I'll stop at FSMW and wonder where the Pacers game is.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

The Pacers started their cable package on Prime Sports Midwest, based out of St. Louis in the late 80s or early 90s. They then got into a territory battle with SportsChannel Ohio (Cincinnatti) over the Indianapolis region. Back in college, I could get Prime Sports Midwest in Upland and Marion and watched the Pacers home games, while my parents in Greenwood did not have it as an option and could only watch the road games on Channel 4/59.

Prime Sports was acquied by Fox in the mid 1990s. For about a decade the Pacers were on the "Fox Sports Midwest" alternate channel, which was a subfeed. This subfeed may not have been available in the St. Louis market even though "parent company" was there. Fox Sports Indianapolis was a relatively new entity when the Pacers moved exclusively to cable.

There would typically be a signficant scheduling conflict with the Blues. Back when both were on FSMW, I don't think we got the Blues games here and I don't think they got the Pacers games there.

History here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Sports_Midwest#History

There used to be a weekly NBA highlights show that appeared only on the Prime Sports networks and only showed highlights of teams that were broadcast on Prime affiliatles nationally. So the top 10 plays of the week usually consisted of two plays by the Nuggets, a couple of Reggie Miller three-pointers, any spectacular dunks that the Jazz or Sonics might have made, and four plays from Run-TMC. That was the NBA according to Prime Sports. And if it kept the Bulls, Pistons, Celtics and Lakers off (all of them were on SportsChannel affiliates), it was fine by me...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

From the way people are talking about it, it seems that FSI and FSMW doesn't work the same for everyone. As for me I only get FSMW, but when there is a Pacer game it switches over to FSI. From what others are saying it sounds like some of you have a sole FSI channel along side FSMW, unless I am just interpreting what you guys are saying wrongly.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    From the way people are talking about it, it seems that FSI and FSMW doesn't work the same for everyone. As for me I only get FSMW, but when there is a Pacer game it switches over to FSI. From what others are saying it sounds like some of you have a sole FSI channel along side FSMW, unless I am just interpreting what you guys are saying wrongly.
    That's the way it seems to work on Comcast. On DirecTV and Dish it creates a side channel.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Whoa wait a minute...does that mean FSIndiana won't be airing the Pacers games now???

No. FSI will continue airing the games as if nothing happened. This is just putting some Pacers games on the FSMW mothership for the St Louis area.

Mood

I am a little confused on this as well....I live in Illinois, just on the border, 7 miles from Terre Haute. Since I live in Illinois, I am listed as being in the Bulls market which gives me Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD for all the Cubs/White Sox/Bulls/BlackHawks games, and FS MidWest HD for all Cardinals/Blues games. That being said, I currently get FoxMW, but no FSI through Dish. My FoxMW is on channel 418, but I also have channel 443 that shows as Alt, and states it is "Sports Alternate: This channel is provided for additional sports programming. (Programming subject to blackouts)". Channel 443 shows all the Pacers games, but I am blacked out from all of them. The info for the Pacers games shown on that channel is "FOXMW Alt" which a little digging on the internet shows is actually FSI....Will I now get the Pacers games on my FoxMW, will the Alt channel now be available to me, will FoxMW give me a blackout?? I am so confused....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    I am a little confused on this as well....I live in Illinois, just on the border, 7 miles from Terre Haute. Since I live in Illinois, I am listed as being in the Bulls market which gives me Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD for all the Cubs/White Sox/Bulls/BlackHawks games, and FS MidWest HD for all Cardinals/Blues games. That being said, I currently get FoxMW, but no FSI through Dish. My FoxMW is on channel 418, but I also have channel 443 that shows as Alt, and states it is "Sports Alternate: This channel is provided for additional sports programming. (Programming subject to blackouts)". Channel 443 shows all the Pacers games, but I am blacked out from all of them. The info for the Pacers games shown on that channel is "FOXMW Alt" which a little digging on the internet shows is actually FSI....Will I now get the Pacers games on my FoxMW, will the Alt channel now be available to me, will FoxMW give me a blackout?? I am so confused....
    I would think that this now indicates the Pacers are the "home" NBA team in the StL market, and you seem to be included in the StL market, so you will hopefully start getting them on FSMW. Good luck!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Will I now get the Pacers games on my FoxMW, will the Alt channel now be available to me, will FoxMW give me a blackout?? I am so confused....
    Since it sounds like you are in the Blues FSMW area affected, you might very well get the Pacer games on FSMW.

The only kicker would be some Fox exclusivity contract for those covered by a different alt channel.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I'm in the same boat. I live about an hour west of Terre Haute/Indiana border. From what I understand, 8 of the games are going to be on FSMidwest, the main channel (418 for you, 671 for me on Directv). There is a Fox Sports Midwest-Plus channel that right now isn't listed on Directv (and per the article, isn't on Dish either). That's a channel I've watched the Blues on when the Cardinals were playing and vice versa. So I'm not sure why that it is not available at this time. I did email both Directv and Fox Sports Midwest to get more information on it. But my understanding is that those of us in the Bulls 'market' will now have access to Pacers game through FS Midwest, as long as we get that Plus channel. So it's up in the air. I've set my DVR for FSIndiana feed tonight just in case I might get it. I'm intrigued to see what happens.

Here is a quote from the article I linked to earlier. Hopefully it will lend a bit of clarity:

The games tonight and Saturday will appear on Fox Sports Plus, the outlet to which spillover programming is sent when another event airs on the “main’’ channel. The location of FSM-Plus varies by programming provider, and most of the Pacers’ telecasts will be there — only eight of the 38 games on the schedule are set for the primary FSM channel. The first of those is at 6 p.m. Tuesday when Indiana faces defending NBA champ Miami.

On the surface it appears that the Pacers, who lead the NBA Central Division, are a low priority for FSM’s main outlet — a women’s basketball game between Northern Iowa and Illinois State is set for tonight while the NBA goes to the secondary option. But Donovan said it’s a complex scheduling situation.

“There are a lot of different contracts and promises we’ve made to teams and leagues,’’ he said. “We’re trying to find the right balance.’’

Donovan said FSM-Plus is “widely available’’ in most cases. However, DirecTV and Dish Network are not on board yet for the Pacers telecasts on either outlet because of a technical issue that is being addressed.
    Last edited by TheRyanExpress; 01-04-2013 at 12:37 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I would think that this now indicates the Pacers are the "home" NBA team in the StL market, and you seem to be included in the StL market, so you will hopefully start getting them on FSMW. Good luck!
    Well, I just got done "chatting" with Dish support....Pointless to say the least, but they did confirm that as far as Regional Sports Networks go, the Indiana Pacers are now considered the Home NBA team in the STL market, and will not be blacked out when they air on FoxMW.....As for FoxMW+ the agent had no clue what I was talking about.....so guess we sit back and wait to see what happens....

Where's my cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Now, that said, this is great news for the Pacers. I wonder if Fox Sports Midwest (St. Louis) would be interested in a similar deal since there's no hockey.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Here's more info:

http://blogs.pacers.com/pacers-games...-and-illinois/

Good news for Pacers fans residing in downstate Illinois and eastern and central Missouri: according to FOXSportsMidwest.com, 38 of the Pacers’ remaining 50 games this season can now be seen on FOX Sports Midwest and FOX Sports Midwest Plus in those areas, for the first time ever.

Eight of those games will air on FOX Sports Midwest with the remaining 30 on Fox Sports Midwest Plus. At this time, DirecTV and Dish won’t have the 30 games on their Plus channel because of technical seasons. However, the eight games on the primary network — starting with the Pacers-Heat game on Jan. 8 — can be seen DirecTV channel 671 and Dish 418.

Beginning tonight, with the Pacers game in Boston (8 PM EST), FOX Sports Midwest will have the game in an area that lacks an NBA presence. This expansion comes as the Pacers are atop the Central Division standings (after having the fifth-best NBA record last season) and helps fill a void of pro basketball in the market.

[Click here for a full list of what Pacers games will be shown and where.]

This isn’t the first new market picking up Pacers telecasts. Just before the regular season tipped in October, FOX Sports South in Kentucky announced they would show 26 games this season.

As usual, the broadcast crew of Chris Denari (play-by-play), Brooke Olzendam (sideline reporter/host) and analysts Quinn Buckner or Austin Croshere will be on the call.
    Fox Sports Midwest just tweeted in response to my tweet to them:

Glad to hear it. DirecTV usually carries our FSM-Plus events, but tech. implementation hasn't been made yet for Pacers games.

Mood

I wish their response to me was as good as yours.....

Joe Wallace ‏@NotTawd
    @FSMidwest Why won't Dish Network subscribers get to watch the #Pacers on FoxMW-Plus?? When can we expect to be able to??
    Expand Reply Delete Favorite

FOX Sports Midwest ‏@FSMidwest
    @nottawd Don't know when. Hopefully in near future. It's a technical implementation that must be made. We'll do our best to keep fans posted

Mood

The Reds do a similar thing with FSI. Their flagship station is Fox Sports Ohio (1732 for us U-Verse users), but some games are also simulcast(ed?) on Fox Sports Indiana (1749 on U-Verse).
    Last edited by Day-V; 01-04-2013 at 04:35 PM.