Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Building my new PC - help needed!

Default Re: Building my new PC - help needed!

Lingering issues:

1) Apparently my internal bluetooth isn't working or at least not detected when I tried installing the latest BT driver from ASUS. I can tell you that when I was last in BIOS (well, last there before when I went back to update the BIOS just a bit ago), it said bluetooth was enabled.

2) There's a USB that Windows tells me is a problem (yet all my plugged-in devices are accounted for and are working) and when I run Asus's diagnostic software, it says "Enumeration failed" for one of my USB ports. Any thoughts?

In the meantime, my PC now goes from powered off to ready for me to type in my Windows login password in about 27 seconds.

When you loaded the new BIOS it might've (probably did) turn off some things. So if Bluetooth needs to be enabled in BIOS then it's probably been reset. So go in there and check that.

Not sure about the USB. If you know which port is acting up stick a thumb drive in it and see what happens...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sorry, I didn't clarify: The Bluetooth was like this before and after the BIOS update, and it is currently enabled in BIOS.

Try these drivers and see if it fixes your Bluetooth:
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Try these drivers and see if it fixes your Bluetooth:
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php
    Same issue; it's not detecting the device.

This is strange to me because it's one device that provides both 802.11n wifi (which works fine) and the Bluetooth 4.0 (which apparently does not). Odd, no? I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do about it?

The only other thing I can think of mentioning is that when I looked back at the mobo manual, it says at the end "Be sure to install the BT4 driver before installing the Wi-Fi GO! Software'. Well, with the bigger fish I was worried about frying, I didn't even have bluetooth on my mind until after I was installing updated software from ASUS, which in hindsight included Wi-Fi GO! Software, so perhaps that did this? I thought about it, so I uninstalled Wi-Fi GO! Software and then tried again to install the updated bluetooth driver from the ASUS mobo page, and it still didn't work. Surely that wouldn't be what permanently squashed this feature, right?

Tell me if I'm wrong, but this is making me think it's a hardware trouble. Only I do have my doubts just because it's this same little piece that also gives me working Wifi at the moment. You'd think it'd be all or nothing, but then again I didn't design or build that piece of equipment, either...

*edit* By the way, ASUS made this device as obnoxious as possible; after the section that describes how to install the motherboard in the case, THEN it says 'before you install the motherboard, you need to attach the wifi device'. So at the time, I just undid the screws and put it in. The reason it is this way is that you have to screw it securely to the board with a screw on the OTHER side (back side/bottom side) of the motherboard. No big deal then, though at the time it felt that way because I was so skittish about screwing up the motherboard somehow (beginner nerves), yet now if I were to try to re-attach the device or try to swap it with another identical piece if I were able to get ASUS to send me one, I have to uninstall the graphics card, unplug all of the wiring, and then deal with unscrewing the motherboard with the heatsink still attached... bah. I don't think it's worth all that trouble just for stinkin' bluetooth. So I'm hoping it's just a software problem.

I pulled this from the ASUS forum:
    If you installed the bluetooth after installing the WiFi Go, this could lead into potential problems. My suggestion would be to do the following...
    1. Un-install WiFi Go, WiFi Engine
    2. Re-boot
    3. Un-install Bluetooth software
    4. Re-boot

From the Asus supplied support CD that came with the motherboard
    1. Install Bluetooth software
    2. re-boot
    3. Install WiFi engine software
    4. Instal WiFi Go software
    5. Re-Boot

------

-John Wooden

I'm uninstalling Wifi Go and WiFi Engine now, and I'm about to reboot. As far as I know, however, there is no bluetooth software installed. I TRIED to install DRIVERS earlier, but they didn't complete the installation because they didn't detect any bluetooth.

But after the reboot I'll try using the CD again. Previously, it didn't seem to want to work at all (the CD) because (for some stupid reason) they only made it want to work in 32 bit, which is absurd given the newness of this motherboard and the kind of CPU/OS typically being used with it, IMO.

Well, hold on. This time when I got the same "doesn't work with this OS" message, Windows chimed in and offered to make it run in compatibility mode, which it is now doing. Attempting to install the BT driver now...

Didn't install. Finally it gave up and cited compatibility issues. I suspect either it's a 32 bit driver or once again my BT is not being detected. It directed me to Broadcom's website to try to find something better.

Eventually I got to the same link you shared with me yesterday from that site (same thing to download/install). It still can't find my bluetooth device before it attempts the installation, and it's asking me to plug it in (which doesn't apply) or turn it on (which according to BIOS is already enabled).

So... bad chip?

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Didn't install. Finally it gave up and cited compatibility issues. I suspect either it's a 32 bit driver or once again my BT is not being detected. It directed me to Broadcom's website to try to find something better.
    You tried the Broadcom drivers I linked you to earlier, right?

------

-John Wooden

Did you ever do that 'firmware' update?

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Did you ever do that 'firmware' update?
    Not yet. I just started to run it now to get that done, but the first thing it says is make sure the current Intel ME firmware is version 8.0. I just need to figure out how I can confirm that it is or is not installed before I continue, and I'm not entirely sure how to do that since I don't know where to look.

Well, I don't know when/how, but apparently I no only have it, I already have 8.1.

I took another look through the mobo DVD and found what I thought might be it, ran it, and up comes:

"This computer currently contains driver versions newer than the versions you are about to install. Are you sure you want to overwrite the following drivers with the older versions?

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface (8.1.0.1263)"

Go figure. You don't suppose this happened when I updated the BIOS, do you?

I doubt that...
    Might've been on your CDROM... or maybe Win8 had drivers already.

------

-John Wooden

I know it wasn't from the DVDROM because I only used that after I did most of what we've covered in this thread.

In the meantime, I've discovered another issue that for my work I need to try to resolve ASAP.

One of my jobs that I started in 2008 was working for a court reporter, which part of that is typing transcripts here at home based on audio recordings of depositions. She gave me an Olympus RS25 foot switch to use with the Olympus DSS Player Pro 4.9.4 software which is what I use to load the audio files and then control playback via the foot switch. This software appears to be at least as old as 2006.

Now, I've used this stuff just fine with my older PC (running Windows 7 32bit). However, I'm having trouble with Windows 8 64 bit. The DSS Player Pro 4.9.4 actually installed just fine. But the trouble is the foot switch. This was years ago, so I don't remember if I originally had trouble that I had to resolve back then or not, but for years now my pedal has worked just fine with my older Win7x32 PC, but now Windows 8 64 doesn't want to play ball.

The switch has an older serial port but also came with a serial to USB adapter, which I've always used before now.

When I plug the switch into the new PC via USB, Windows does detect it, but it seems to have no clue what it actually is.

I've tried to install it by manually pointing it to the driver that came with the disc, I've tried manually pointing it to the driver I was using on my old machine (I copied that driver over to the new PC from the old PC), and both times it was no-can-do.

I don't know if this is a Windows 8 problem or a 32 vs 64 bit problem.

I'm not sure what else to do. You would think detecting the device at all is half the battle, but from there I just don't know how to get it to work. You'd think such a simple device that's already being detected would be no big deal, yet here I am. It has merely three buttons (a big middle one you press down to play, the right smaller button rewinds, the left smaller button fast forwards). Generically a 3-button input device. Why it's this hard to even manually program it, I don't know.

My other options are to do my work with the old PC (which is okay for the short term, but undesirable and certainly unpalatable moving forward), and/or explore buying a new foot switch that I know will work with the new PC and x64 Win 8. The problem with that is I'm not sure if there are any that are cheap and known to work at this point since it's a new OS.

You would think if it could work in Win7 it could work in the not-that-different Win8, but maybe the rub is being 64 bit.

Since that thing was old to begin with, I decided to throw money at this particular problem; bought a different, newer pedal that I believe will work. If not, I'll return it and try something else.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

My 2TB WD Black drive came in today. Just installed it a little bit ago, seems to be working fine, got it setup with Windows Disk Management (initialized, formatted NTSF, drive label). Transferring files from the old PC (dumped on external HD) to the new internal HD, and while some reviews complained of it being noisy... I barely hear anything. Most of the time nothing sounds different at all, but I can occasionally while it's transferring data hear a hint of it, I think, but that's about it.

And get this: While I had the case open, right before I closed it up after the HDD installation, I decided to push down a little bit on the Wifi/Bluetooth device. It already felt like it was in there, but I figured why not. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe it's not, but for the first time ever Windows is now detecting the bluetooth as well. Slightly amazed by that given that it really did feel like it was already "down" and secure in its place on the motherboard. Weird, but I'll take it!

------

-John Wooden

Thank you guys once again for all of your help and advice. Really, really appreciate it.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

That other foot switch came tonight. It works. Glad to say that, but it sucks to have to spend more money.