Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building my new PC - help needed!

Mood

Default Re: Building my new PC - help needed!

Okay, so let's start with the Chipset update.

1) What exactly is that updating? It's not the BIOS, so then what is it/what does it do? I just noticed the "Intel" part of the description, so I'm guessing this has to do with how the mobo communicates/functions with the CPU?

2) Am I correct that I should be downloading "Version 9.3.0.1021"?

3) Presumably I just open/execute whatever the download is and let it do its thing?

Regarding WinXP and an old hard drive... I'm sure it exists... somewhere (maybe), but the short answer is essentially "no". I think if my copy still exists its buried somewhere in the basement (which, with my basement, means its basically unaccessible without a lot of work and searching).

I'd probably just install all of the updates myself to be up to date if nothing else... but that 'firmware' update they mention would be a priority if I was having an issue like your's. I'm a little curious about that one...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Regarding the Firmware update, I'm intrigued as well because it mentions better Windows 8 compatibility. But it also says to, before updating, make sure the Intel Management Interface Driver is installed. Well, I don't recall doing that, so I'm assuming it is/was NOT installed by default out of the box? I'll look at the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, so let's start with the Chipset update.

1) What exactly is that updating? It's not the BIOS, so then what is it/what does it do? I just noticed the "Intel" part of the description, so I'm guessing this has to do with how the mobo communicates/functions with the CPU?
    Never ask how the sausage is made...

2) Am I correct that I should be downloading "Version 9.3.0.1021"?
    Yes

3) Presumably I just open/execute whatever the download is and let it do its thing?
    Yes

Regarding WinXP and an old hard drive... I'm sure it exists... somewhere (maybe), but the short answer is essentially "no". I think if my copy still exists its buried somewhere in the basement (which, with my basement, means its basically unaccessible without a lot of work and searching).
    Pretty sure what Sandman was cooking up was you booting into WinXP and updating the BIOS from the Win loader program (since you said there was a Win program for flashing BIOS but not a 64bit version...

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Regarding the Firmware update, I'm intrigued as well because it mentions better Windows 8 compatibility. But it also says to, before updating, make sure the Intel Management Interface Driver is installed. Well, I don't recall doing that, so I'm assuming it is/was NOT installed by default out of the box? I'll look at the manual.
    I'm thinking that drivers might install with the installer and will give you that option. It's just telling you to chose the driver install before the firmware install.

------

-John Wooden

Mood

I updated the chipset. No effect on boot up time.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'm thinking that drivers might install with the installer and will give you that option. It's just telling you to chose the driver install before the firmware install.
    Are you saying that if I run this update, it will scan or otherwise check to see if I have the earlier version installed first?

I'm saying the drivers are (likely) in the install package and it will ask if you want to install the drivers, or simply have a box to click to install drivers and you need to do so.

I can't imagine it would install without giving you an option to stop... or a link to DL the drivers... or simply already have the drivers in the pkg and you just need to chose to install them.

------

-John Wooden

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I updated the chipset. No effect on boot up time.
    That I'm not surprised by. The chipsets are for improved compatibility once you get into the OS.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

I'm saying the drivers are (likely) in the install package and it will ask if you want to install the drivers, or simply have a box to click to install drivers and you need to do so.

I can't imagine it would install without giving you an option to stop... or a link to DL the drivers... or simply already have the drivers in the pkg and you just need to chose to install them.
    When you say "the install package", are you referring to this update that I can download from the ASUS site, or are you referring to something else?

When you say "the install package", are you referring to this update that I can download from the ASUS site, or are you referring to something else?
    The update you DL and install from ASUS

------

-John Wooden

Mood

The update you DL and install from ASUS
    Okay. Well, in that case, why would they warn me to make sure I have the earlier version installed first if/when the update also includes the earlier version? Makes me think it will NOT do that, you know?

Any alternative means to finding out if I already have it installed or not? I didn't see a reference to it in the Table of Contents of my mobo manual.

Mood

In the meantime, I'm running through and updating the other stuff like audio drivers, VGA, LAN, etc.

In the meantime, I'm running through and updating the other stuff like audio drivers, VGA, LAN, etc.
    Skip the VGA driver. YOu don't need it since you are using a discrete graphics card.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I'm thinking it will have an -option- to install those drivers. So if this is your first firmware update then you will need to take that option and install them. OTOH, if you've installed a previous firmware update then you can skip the driver install and just do the firmware install.

In either case, I don't think it would bulldoze right thru the install without you either seeing you need to cancel or seeing a tick box to install the drivers, or a link to go DL them...

------

-John Wooden

------

-John Wooden

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not trying to be rude or anything, but why didn't you just buy a PC? Some of these questions are easy answers and you are building your own.

@Pacers24Colts12

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    Not trying to be rude or anything, but why didn't you just buy a PC? Some of these questions are easy answers and you are building your own.
    Buying a PC is honestly no fun. Building on the other hand, gives a sense of accomplishment when you get it all stabilized. Plus you save some money and theres no preloaded crapware.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Skip the VGA driver. YOu don't need it since you are using a discrete graphics card.
    Yeah, I was going to. Actually, I later changed my mind and tried, but it didn't work anyway. Oh well.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    They may be easy answers to someone with more experience, but I like to be extra sure of something when there's risk involved, so rather than just guess I ask. Now I know, and next time I won't have to ask again. That's how one learns and grows.

Why did I build it? Because I wanted to save money, I wanted to try, and I felt like I had enough knowledge/experience to do it with (as needed) the aid of the Internet filling in the gaps, which is proving to be the case, and in the end I now have my assembled, working PC weeks earlier than I would have gotten it had I waited for a more expensive assembly. That's why.

And in some cases, I think I know the answers to the questions, but I'd be a fool to just move forward on assumptions and risk screwing things up when I could be double checking and asking people who clearly know more than me, and they have been generous enough to answer. I'm being cautious and I'm trying to learn.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

That appears to be version 8.1, same as listed on the ASUS site. What am I missing?

Mood

In the meantime, I resolved getting this old laser printer to get detected and to function. It's actually two cables in between the printer and the PC; a parallel-to-USB running out of the printer, then a USB extension cable to run the needed length of the room because they're not that close together. At first I was just plugging in the extension cord, but Windows just recognized the cord and the adapter. But once I left it plugged in, then unplugged where the two cables meet, then plugged them back together, it seemed to 'extend its search' on to the printer itself, and immediately recognized it. I also had the generic HP drivers still installed from the other day, so that may have helped in recognizing it so quickly as well.

Mood

By the way, after installing a couple of the SATA updates, Windows booted but quickly crashed due to error 'DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL'. Each time, Windows seemed to collect some error information (which took a few seconds, and it included a percentage of progress that quickly ran up to 100%), then the PC would restart, and then it would be fine. But I thought it was strange that drivers straight from ASUS would do this. But it seems to be fine now.

Mood

Well, I had a moment of boldness and decided "let's do it".

I updated the BIOS to the most recent version using EZ Flash 2. Formatted an old thumb drive (128MB - a mammoth, I know ) in FAT32, put the CAP file on it, rebooted, went into BIOS, ran EZ Flash 2, it found it right away, and it worked.

Better yet? My PC booted much, much faster than before.

Possibly important note for anyone who may use this thread as reference for their own adventures: While googling about updating the BIOS, someone mentioned that you should right click the BIOS update file and click properties, and see if you need to have Windows unblock the file, which in my case I did do before attempting to use this file for the update. Had I not done that, it's quite possible this would not have worked, so be on the lookout for that!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

------

-John Wooden