Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building my new PC - help needed!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Building my new PC - help needed!

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Operating system installed successfully!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What GPU do you have?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man, reading your install process reminds me why I had my buddy do mine haha. You got the same ssd as me buy you got the larger one. Its ridiculous at how much faster everything boots up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What GPU do you have?
    EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 FTW edition (pre-overclocked) 2GB

God that was scary!

I ran Windows update, and then it install the updates and restarted the computer. When it restarted the computer, it display the initial Asus screen and just sat there stuck. I restarted the computer, same deal. I start to write a post about it.... It loads Windows.

What the hell?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Windows 8 lol

nah, seriously ive had that happen a couple times. if it goes away after reboot, dont worry.

ram issue you will want to look in your BIOS for a setting that will allow to change your RAM. DO NOT screw with any voltage settings or timings unless you are crazy or consult overclockers in advance.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Yeah, I have no interest in overclocking, so that's not a problem for me. What specifically should I be looking for? Something to specify its clockspeed as 1600 or something? Could it be that one of my RAM sticks is bad or something? For what it's worth, Windows sees all 16GB of it.

Check with Overclockers for sure on this one, but from what I've read on Asus boards, look for something called "DRAM Frequency".

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I'd seen a couple of search results like this so far when searching:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32...ing-1333-p8z77

Saying I have to go into BIOS and find the Ai overclock tuner and select "XMP". I guess doing that lets the motherboard read from the memory itself what the proper speed is?

I'll try that before too long; after my last PC reset I'm a little scared to reset my computer again right now after everything that happened today.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. considering you're not overclocking, ultimately there is extremely little difference between 1600 and 1333.

2. i had a similar issue in my previous build (with an asus mobo), i'm not sure what it would be on your mobo but i had to manually set the DRAM frequency in the bios to 1600 to get my 1600 ram to be recognised as such.

3. don't worry about failed boots, i get them sometimes too. don't be afraid to hit the reset button.

I went ahead and set it to XMP, and it got the ram to 1600 and apparently (?) is overclocking the processor a little bit as well. It's an i5-3570K 3.4 and I think this bumps it to 3.8. I'm a complete noobie when it comes to overclocking, but I seemed to read enthusiasts overclocking their i5's well into the 4.x ghz range, so I'm assuming this is perfectly safe and not going to cause heating issues?

Here's my complete setup:

Corsair Obsidian 550D "mid" tower (I put it in quotes because I think it's pretty big for a mid tower)
    Corsair AX850 PSU
    Asus P8Z7-V Deluxe motherboard
    Intel i5-3570K CPU
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler
    16GB Corsair Vengeance low profile 1600 DDR3 RAM
    Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 256GB
    (not installed yet, coming next week) WD Black 2TB HDD
    EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2GB graphics card
    Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray drive/burner
    Windows 8 64bit

Sticking around from my previous PC are two 24" Samsung PX2370 monitors and a decent Logitech/THX 2.1 speaker set. Suffice it to say I'm more than satisfied with my current setup. I'd been itching to upgrade for the last 6-12 months, my last PC was from 2007, and I finally decided to take the plunge.

It was an occasionally very stressful journey the past 48 hours, but since it seems to have all worked out (*knocks on wood*), I'm pretty happy with my build moving forward.

My only issue left at this point: I've reset the PC a couple of times since I last talked about it, and each time it's the same thing: PC starts, shows the Asus splash screen where you can allegedly hit DEL to enter the BIOS, only that doesn't work if you try and it sits there frozen for a good 2 minutes or so. Then it seems to reboot, you see the Asus screen again, but this time only for a couple of seconds before Windows 8 boots up pretty quickly.

I have no idea why it does this. Any thoughts?

I can get into BIOS the second time where it's there very briefly, so I'm not locked out of that. I just wish it did all of that the first time and got up and running super quick without this odd 2-ish-minute wait each time.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I went ahead and set it to XMP, and it got the ram to 1600 and apparently (?) is overclocking the processor a little bit as well. It's an i5-3570K 3.4 and I think this bumps it to 3.8. I'm a complete noobie when it comes to overclocking, but I seemed to read enthusiasts overclocking their i5's well into the 4.x ghz range, so I'm assuming this is perfectly safe and not going to cause heating issues?
    With that Hyper 212, you'll be fine. Anymore the danger with overclocking is mostly overheating and cooking the components that way, but I use its little brother the TX2 for my AMD rig and I've had no complaints.

My only issue left at this point: I've reset the PC a couple of times since I last talked about it, and each time it's the same thing: PC starts, shows the Asus splash screen where you can allegedly hit DEL to enter the BIOS, only that doesn't work if you try and it sits there frozen for a good 2 minutes or so. Then it seems to reboot, you see the Asus screen again, but this time only for a couple of seconds before Windows 8 boots up pretty quickly.

I have no idea why it does this. Any thoughts?

I can get into BIOS the second time where it's there very briefly, so I'm not locked out of that. I just wish it did all of that the first time and got up and running super quick without this odd 2-ish-minute wait each time.
    Stupid question: Do you have any USB devices connected when it does that? Also, try turning off the splash screen in the BIOS. There should be a setting to do that there, that way you can see where its hanging up a little easier.

To test if a drive is hanging you at boot up (before OS loads) you can disconnect power from the drive(s) one at a time so the mobo won't see the faulty drive and see if that makes a difference. Obviously the system will hang when it tries to load the OS and the drive is disconnected but it sounds like you're hanging before you get to that point.

Power down, disconnect, boot up... rinse and repeat.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    To test if a drive is hanging you at boot up (before OS loads) you can disconnect power from the drive(s) one at a time so the mobo won't see the faulty drive and see if that makes a difference. Obviously the system will hang when it tries to load the OS and the drive is disconnected but it sounds like you're hanging before you get to that point.

Power down, disconnect, boot up... rinse and repeat.
    I'm not sure I see the point in that. I only have the SSD and the optical drive in play here, and boot order is set for the SSD drive as first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Stupid question: Do you have any USB devices connected when it does that? Also, try turning off the splash screen in the BIOS. There should be a setting to do that there, that way you can see where its hanging up a little easier.
    Actually, yeah. I've plugged in a scanner and a webcam along with mouse and keyboard.

Matter of fact, I also plugged in a USB that isn't connected to anything; I've done it that way for a long time on my old PC for when i needed to transfer audio files. Maybe it's the same issue as I had with my SATA cable that wasn't connected to a drive but was plugged into the mother board? Seems like a good place to start at least.

Also, there's a USB plugged in that converts to an old parallel cable for the older laser printer I use, which I leave off when I'm not using. Maybe that could be it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I'm not sure I see the point in that. I only have the SSD and the optical drive in play here, and boot order is set for the SSD drive as first priority.
    Because the motherboard looks at all that and sorts thru what's there long before it tries to boot up. Basically look at it as the mobo doing an inventory of things and pre test before it ever thinks about checking your boot order and booting the OS.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Unplugged the non-used USB, still hanged.

Unplugged the printer, scanner, and webcam too, hanged again.

Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Because the motherboard looks at all that and sorts thru what's there long before it tries to boot up. Basically look at it as the mobo doing an inventory of things and pre test before it ever thinks about checking your boot order and booting the OS.
    Right, you're talking about the POST.

The thing is, the only thing that changed between when it was hanging up and not hanging up is the installation of Windows 8. Besides the USB devices already discussed, no other hardware has changed since that point in time. So I don't see why it would be either the SSD or the OD.

Maybe the OS install and subsequent hang were just coincidences?

Anyway, you can load "failsafe" settings in BIOS can't you? Have you tried that?

------

-John Wooden

The way I was reading you it doesn't sound like your hang is at the OS loading portion of the bootup. Maybe I read you wrong.

------

-John Wooden

As far as I can tell it's prior to the OS, but after the hangup ends it goes black (perhaps a reset, perhaps not?), comes back to the same screen (Asus) again, then quickly skips ahead to loading Windows 8. But it wasn't doing that when I was still installing the OS or trying to before that.

Separate question that may solve the other one: BIOS updates. How does one do this, and does it in any way jeopardize your OS installation/setup? I believe the answer to the latter question is "No," but obviously I want to be sure. Getting back to the former question, it's just something I never had to do (or at least that I can recall doing in the last 15 years) so I'm not sure how to do it.

I don't suppose it can be done while in Windows, can it?