Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Johnson

Default Orlando Johnson

Ok, in garbage minutes from the Boston game, Orlando Johnson came in and looked good, he was 2-3 from the field and 2-2 from the free throw line for 7 points, he looked good and I know he had been looking very good in the D-league, so my point is, we have a home game against Milwaukee and Sam Young is probably out, should we give Orlando Johnson a shot? Maybe he can be a decent bench scorer for us. With Gerald Green obviously not being our bench scorer and Lance Stephenson starting why not see what he has. If he does not do well he probably wouldn't effect the game too much and we could just bench him again

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Orlando Johnson

I liked what he showed against Boston. He looked a lot more assertive with the ball than I'd seen from him before. If he can make simple post entry passes and play in a pick and roll he has two big pluses over Gerald Green whose only skills seem to be dunking and creating low percentage turnaround jump shots.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We shouldn't ever be digging that low IMO. he's not ready for this. And do I have any reasons or facts to back up my claim? Can't say I do.. Didn't watch too much of him in the D-league, UCSB, or any of his garbage mins tonight. Btw, that's the joke.. I don't think ANYONE has.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I don't see why not, especially if Gerald isn't having a good night. If he doesn't look ready they can just take him right out.

Mood

Wouldn't offend me to give him a little bit of time each night to see how he does. It's not as if Gerald Green is often playing well.

Mood

Sports Logo

I like OJ and I'd enjoy seeing him make a bigger impact on the season. I would also like to see Plumlee do some exciting things, garbage time or not. I'd hate to see our first rounder get dropped into Josh McRoberts status for the rest of his career.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Mood

I think that he should be swapped for Green for a few games to see how he does. I honestly think he could be that spark off the bench we have been missing.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    I don't see why not, especially if Gerald isn't having a good night. If he doesn't look ready they can just take him right out.
    So almost any night then. Seriously, I'd like to give the kid a chance, I doubt if he could do any worse.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    We shouldn't ever be digging that low IMO. he's not ready for this. And do I have any reasons or facts to back up my claim? Can't say I do.. Didn't watch too much of him in the D-league, UCSB, or any of his garbage mins tonight. Btw, that's the joke.. I don't think ANYONE has.
    I watched all his games on ESPN3 last year about 10 and I know thunderbird watched him too. To say no one has seen him play is inaccurate. He is a hell of a lot better than he played in SL. I liked him in the draft process and figured he would be able to play a sam young type role this year. However the way he played in preseason and SL was nothing like him and his skillset I saw in college unselfish playmaker ect. But that is the NBA some guys need time to adjust. Come next year he should be ready for a rotation role. His skill set that he has will transfer to the NBA I am pretty sure of that he just needs time and get comfortable.

I missed on him being NBA ready but I like the way we are developing him the dleague to get him NBA ready, It is good for him, a big jump up from the talent he played in college.

EDIT:

I didn't watch his garbage minutes last night but I hope he is moving the ball more like he did in college not SL. That is my biggest gripe he went from a guy who made great basketball decisions in college and unselfish to looking clueless and selfish.

EDIT: also digging that low? We signed him to a 3 year contract for a reason the kid can play and saying playing him is beneath the Pacers is lol he is in the NBA for a reason he can play.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-05-2013 at 09:36 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I didn't watch his garbage minutes last night but I hope he is moving the ball more like he did in college not SL. That is my biggest gripe he went from a guy who made great basketball decisions in college and unselfish to looking clueless and selfish.
    Do you think maybe the things the Pacers asked him to do in summer league were by design? Like maybe they were comfortable with what they saw him do in college and asked him to try something else for summer league?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Do you think maybe the things the Pacers asked him to do in summer league were by design? Like maybe they were comfortable with what they saw him do in college and asked him to try something else for summer league?
    I mean something like moving the ball should be a given all the time in basketball. You cant win if you dont move the ball the way it should be moved. He was a ball stopper in summer league which he never was in college and in college he could of been a ball stopper and no one would of blamed him. I just was confused and cant put a finger on it. He just didn't play good basketball and in every game in college he would play good team ball. I mean I saw games in college where he shot terrible like 8-20 , but in though games he still moved the ball in his SL game he just didn't look like the same player.

It could of been just due to the fact he had never played with any of those guys before. But I dont know it looked more than that he just looked awful.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The issue is 2 fold to me.

1. You don't really make decisions based on how a team/players play(s) when they are missing 2 starters. And not only 2 starters, but possibly the 2 most important starters.
    2. Like has been said before, how could he be worse than Green? Let's see...Gerald turns the ball over, doesn't make shots, plays poor defense...yeah, it isn't getting any worse if you give Orlando some limited run (say, 10-12 mpg?).

The benching helped with DJ, maybe it'd light a fire under Gerald.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I don't think he's yet showing the skill set to get free and get his shots against regular NBA defenses (not garbage time). He's clearly not the athlete that Green is, he's just a better shooter.

To me the Pacers are developing him perfectly. Lots of scoring reps in the D-League where he gets to be more of the focus and is pushed to beat people to get his shots. Hopefully this will develop an expanded library of moves and tricks, as well as keeping his in-game scoring touch fresh. Then have him available for short dips into real NBA games to begin translating his skills from D-League level to NBA level. That's a solid, steady learning process that gives him a mix of supportive successes and challenged "failures". Show him where he needs to get to, but keep his confidence up and show him the smaller steps to get there.

He seems mature enough to take advantage of it.

It doesn't hurt that he's very likeable.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I don't think he's yet showing the skill set to get free and get his shots against regular NBA defenses (not garbage time). He's clearly not the athlete that Green is, he's just a better shooter.

To me the Pacers are developing him perfectly. Lots of scoring reps in the D-League where he gets to be more of the focus and is pushed to beat people to get his shots. Hopefully this will develop an expanded library of moves and tricks, as well as keeping his in-game scoring touch fresh. Then have him available for short dips into real NBA games to begin translating his skills from D-League level to NBA level. That's a solid, steady learning process that gives him a mix of supportive successes and challenged "failures". Show him where he needs to get to, but keep his confidence up and show him the smaller steps to get there.

The thing is even in college he was a much better shooter when guarded than open he is a very good tough shot maker. He is never gonna separate like a John Jenkins or Kyle Korver. He is built thick and uses that to his advantage in creating just enough to not get blocked. The thing is he doesnt need to separate like the players I mentioned his high release doesn't get effected by much . He makes the shots regardless he was a weird case separation was a gripe I had with his game when I started watching him play but over time it became clear he didn't really need separation like most to make shots.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

This exactly. I'm fine if we don't see a single minute of non-garbage time for the kid all year. Let him be part of the rotation next year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    I saw him several times live at UCSB. But it wouldn't surprise me if I'm the only one on the board that could say that!
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

looks like a poor man's version of Jamal Crawford so no i hope he stays on the bench
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

He's getting first half rotation minutes tonight, per Wells twitter.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    The benching helped with DJ, maybe it'd light a fire under Gerald.
    It was starting that helped DJ not the benching. He was pretty much the exact same player as before, until he was forced into the starting position.

Anyways, I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on Orlando, but if they wanted to bench Green to give him a shot I would be supportive of the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    It was starting that helped DJ not the benching. He was pretty much the exact same player as before, until he was forced into the starting position.
    I think he's playing quite differently. He's already pushed more in transition in three games than he had all season combined.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I think he's playing quite differently. He's already pushed more in transition in three games than he had all season combined.
    I don't want to derail the thread to much. So I will not comment on the subject after this post.

All of that came after he was given the starting role. The prior three games when he was still coming off the bench he was the same DJ as he was prior to the benching.

He will be a solid player in the NBA; he needs to develop. He is very raw, but I think he is ahead of where Lance Stephenson was at this stage. One thing good teams have in common? They frequently make good use of second round draft picks. Fortunately for the Pacers we have been able to draft multiple players in the second round who are serviceable or better, from A.J. Price to Lance Stephenson, and to Orlando Johnson.

Good pick by the management, well done.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

He played quite well tonight I thought. He missed some shots early on, but they were all good looks within the offense. Continued to be aggressive in the 2nd half and ends up with 7pts again. He seems to have pretty good body control when he drives to the basket.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skyfire For This Useful Post:

Mood

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUICE!

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

He has a nice strong move to the basket. I like what I see . . . except it seems like he hasn't made a single outside shot.

I would write him off except for the fact I've seen Danny Granger look just as bad at the start of several seasons.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

36. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post: