Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: George Hil a MIP candidate?

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,616

    Default George Hil a MIP candidate?

    http://nba.si.com/2013/01/02/oklahom...?sct=uk_t11_a5

    With the biggest disappointments in the NBA this season already packaged and delivered, itís time that we reflect on a topic more fitting of the new calendar year: self-improvement. Hereís a look at 12 players with pronounced improvements in their games.

    FIRST TEAM

    Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City Thunder: If Kendrick Perkins is to blame for the Thunderís overly conventional lineups with two court-clogging big men, Ibaka could rightly be credited for some of the teamís push-back solvency. If nothing else, Perkinsí very presence has forced Ibaka to stretch his game over the past few seasons, and this season weíve begun to see the considerable payoff from that evolution.

    Such dividends begin with Ibakaís vast improvement as a spot-up shooter ó an area in which he has quietly done solid work for the last few seasons. But the difference between Ibakaís meek effectiveness last season (46 percent on 2.6 long two-point attempts per game, according to Hoopdata) and this seasonís confident hoisting (50 percent on 4.5 attempts) is stark. Those mid-range looks have become shots that both Ibaka and his teammates fully expect him to take and make, to the point that he receives an earful from Russell Westbrook if he shows even the slightest hesitation in pulling the trigger. That consistent vote of confidence has helped Ibaka to become a more dynamic player.

    Thereís nothing sexy about converting long twos, and with how often the Thunder score at the rim, get to the free-throw line and convert their three-point tries, Ibakaís intermediate looks might not seem preferable by comparison. That said, his mid-range attempts ó born of ball reversals and dribble-drive playmaking ó represent the Thunderís capitalization of a slim but useful moment in time. Oklahoma City canít get every shot from the most efficient zones on the floor, just as it canít conclude every possession with a quality attempt for Kevin Durant. But OKC continues to build on its already brilliant offense by turning every advantage into a point of profit. The room offered to Ibaka on the perimeter has become one such advantage, and, given an offense rich with shot creation, an added bit of flexibility.

    (Plus, Ibaka has periodically put the ball on the floor after making a mid-range catch in order to draw a foul or finish emphatically at the rim. Thatís an entirely new wrinkle to his game, and one thatís altogether frightening. Can you imagine what it might ultimately mean for the Thunder offense if those burst drives were to become a more dependable part Ibakaís repertoire?)

    George Hill, Indiana Pacers: On a superficial level, it would be easy to call Hillís improvements (+1.9 points, +1.1 assists per-36 minutes relative to last season) modest. But the fifth-year guard has matured into a calming influence after years of inconsistent play both on and off the ball. Hill has become a lifeline for a Pacers team thatís otherwise starved for competent point guard play, and brought the NBAís 29th-ranked offense to league-average scoring levels whenever heís on the floor. Bolster those credentials with Hillís always solid defense, and he begins to resemble a primordial Chauncey Billups ó flexible defensively, characteristically unafraid and coming into his own as both a spot scorer and low-risk caretaker.

    Kemba Walker, Charlotte Bobcats: Young NBA players are expected to improve, but I wasnít totally convinced that Walker was capable of his current level of performance at all, much less in Year 2. Where many saw a natural leader and a former college standout, I saw only a quick guard who would likely struggle with the size and speed of NBA defenders, and an offense-first player reliant on pull-up jumpers. To me, that seemed to be the rťsumť of a decent backup, but hardly the kind of description befitting a lead guard.

    But Walker has redefined his NBA potential in my mind by improving in so many phases of the game so quickly, a development that can only be attributed to his willingness to work on better understanding this caliber of opponent and the nuances of the game in general. Many have praised Walkerís composure in years past, but the way he now approaches his role and his skill set are fundamentally more intelligent. His quickness is deployed with more control, his shot selection is far more measured and heís already displaying an impressive ability to manipulate defenders in order to create offense. Walker seems likely to always skew toward the score-first mold, but that itself isnít a demerit so much as a stylistic footnote; as long as the Bobcats account for Walkerís style of play in their team construction, his passing limitations neednít hold back the development of their offense.

    Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder: Iíve already discussed Durantís growth at length in this space, but somehow KD has only been better since then. Self-actualization was clearly on Durantís to-do list, and his progress as a defender and ball-handler make that goal seem like a summer project rather than a lifelong endeavor. He was great as a focused scorer, but Durantís dedication to basketball completion has elevated him as a candidate to be the leagueís finest.

    Chandler Parsons, Houston Rockets: A boost in playing time has helped Parsonsí per-game numbers, but beyond those statistical boosts is a fantastic role player who has bettered himself on a per-minute and per-possession level. He passes wonderfully, his cutting instincts are uncanny and heís been a solid defender on and off the ball. He has a complete package of complementary skills, and this season has added a concentrated dose of scoring to his already valuable profile.

    Parsons was a particularly shaky shooter in his rookie season, and though heís increased his accuracy from beyond the three-point line by only about three percentage points (from 33.7 to 36.5), his consistency from that range is markedly improved. Whereas last season his feast-or-famine jumper sent many misses crashing on the far side of the backboard or whiffing the basket entirely, Parsonsí more controlled stroke now holds the potential for even further improvement. One can see a similar refinement across Parsonsí entire offensive game, a development that has enabled the Rockets to thrive behind his dynamic complement to James Hardenís pick-and-roll genius and Jeremy Linís frenzied dribble-driving.


    Jimmer Fredette is boasting impressive per-36 minute averages in his second season (22 points, 3.8 assists). (Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

    RESERVES

    Jason Kidd, New York Knicks: To say that Kidd was washed up a season ago wasnít some premature eulogy for a player in decline ó it was the undeniable truth to anyone who watched him play in Dallas. Kiddís playmaking style has always been a bit risky, but the return on his passing investments grew increasingly meager as the mental errors piled up.

    But Knicks coach Mike Woodson was able to turn one of the greatest point guards of all time into a fascinating standstill shooting guard. As a functional 2, Kidd could benefit from open three-pointers (of which heís making 43 percent) while also using his natural creativity to jazz up New Yorkís swing-passing game. Kidd still participates in the standard side-to-side passing that occurs whenever a defense gets too stretched, but in a split second, the 39-year-old can also read the floor for more interesting alternatives. He might fake the pass and take the shot himself after reading the close-out patterns of the defense. He might thread a feed inside to an inexplicably open Tyson Chandler. He might even put the ball on the floor once in awhile, just for kicks. Kidd has been put in a position where he can read the floor without having the pressure that comes with being a teamís primary creator, and that redistribution of his individual skills has breathed new life into a career that was looking downright funereal.

    Jimmer Fredette, Sacramento Kings: SB Nationís Tom Ziller was all over the Jimmer-as-MIP angle on Monday, and the second-year guard deserves to be in the conversation for the award. Improvement may be assumed for young players, but Fredette has jumped from rookie incompetence into a showing as one of the leagueís most potent bench scorers ó a rare bright spot in Sacramentoís most recent flop of a season, and a leap that was completely unexpected given all that we saw of Jimmer the first time around. Who knows what the future holds for Fredette in terms of his optimal role and consistent defensive concessions, but heís succeeding as an offensive player.

    Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers: Most NBA fans seem to regard Griffinís current season with pessimism, but I see an all-around superior player who is improving each of his greatest weaknesses. Defensive positioning was a big issue for Griffin in his first two seasons, but he and frontcourt mate DeAndre Jordan have been in the right place at the right time more reliably this year. Free-throw shooting is still a bit of an issue, but Griffin has at least jumped to 62 percent from 52 percent a season ago. The expansion of Griffinís mid-range game is a work in progress, but a smoother form and a greater willingness to shoot jumpers has led Griffin to make a career-high 41 percent (nearing David West and Zach Randolph territory) on long two-pointers, per Hoopdata. And thatís coupled with Griffinís still-impressive scoring on a deeper Clippers team, his quality defensive rebounding, elite passing skills for his position and effective-as-ever face-up game. Whereís the alleged regression?

    Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers: A 34-year-old guard in his 17th year is having the best offensive season of his career because of a conscious change in his possession usage. What a wonderful coda for an already outstanding career.

    Corey Brewer, Denver Nuggets: Brewer has always had value as a high-energy cutter and defender, but he had such an inconsistent shot that opponents could disregard him whenever he retreated to the corners. That doesnít theoretically matter much to a high-motor player like Brewer, but it does inconvenience his teamís offense. As much as we praise those who move without the ball, there are times when wing players need to space the floor from the weak side or at least not muddle up the strong-side action with a random baseline cut, and itís in that area of the game that Brewer had previously struggled. His effort and value were obvious, but offenses can only afford so many range-less players while still preserving the necessary driving lanes and post-up space.

    Brewer, 26, is still no marksman, but by converting long-range shots at a league-average rate (a career-high 34.8 percent), he has dramatically improved his utility. As a result, the Nuggets are able to take full advantage of Brewerís scrambling, long-armed defense and open-court sprinting without much concern for what happens when he catches the ball in the corners.

    Eric Bledsoe, Los Angeles Clippers: We knew of the torment that Bledsoe could cause opposing ball-handlers, and we even had a glimpse of his incredible off-ball potential while playing with Chris Paul in the 2012 playoffs. But the 23-year-old has played the part of a fully functional reserve point guard for the most exciting second unit in the league this season, complete with an improving set shot and some slick pick-and-roll play. At some point the Clippers will need to consider whether Bledsoe is a luxury they can really afford, but for now heís a fantastic change-of-pace player with emerging skills as a playmaker.

    J.J. Hickson, Portland Trail Blazers: Hickson doesnít make all that much sense as a part of Portlandís rebuilding core, but that hasnít stopped the fifth-year veteran from having a career year as a center placeholder. Though playing alongside LaMarcus Aldridge apparently yields the opportunity for any eager center to get their fill of rebounds, Hickson has surpassed any reasonable expectation by doing elite-level work on the glass. Reggie Evans and Anderson Varejao are the only players in the league to post a higher total rebounding percentage than Hickson, and itís by his efforts alone that Portland is even remotely passable in any rebounding department. Hickson has had flashes of this kind of productivity before (most notably in 2010-11, in his last season as a Cavalier), but the consistency of this rebounding surge offers his game a new credibility.
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    I love the Billups comparisons. He's absolutely having a similar role on this team. Not sure if I'd give him the MiP. That might have to go to James Harden.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,834

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Hill has become a lifeline for a Pacers team that’s otherwise starved for competent point guard play, and brought the NBA’s 29th-ranked offense to league-average scoring levels whenever he’s on the floor.
    The major supporting evidence for Hill seems to be this. But if you looked it up I'm sure the exact same thing would be true of Stephenson, George and West. If any George on our team should be considered for most improved, it should be Paul. I thought Hill showed a lot of this last season, but when given a stable starting position just felt much more comfortable doing it all the time.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Member Goyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    895

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    He should be getting more attention, but he won't because his numbers aren't that much higher. Leadership and clutch play aren't something award voters take into account for MIP.

    I love the Billups/Hill comparison too, check out 2012 Hill and 2004 Billups, its crazy how similar the numbers are.


  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,161

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He should be getting more attention, but he won't because his numbers aren't that much higher. Leadership and clutch play aren't something award voters take into account for MIP.
    This. They could almost eliminate the vote and just go by pure statistical difference, as that is the only thing the voters seem to look at.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  10. #6
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    I'm not sure Hill is even close to our most improved player. I would say both Lance and PG24 are more improved. Hill has certainly become more consistent though.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love the Billups comparisons. He's absolutely having a similar role on this team. Not sure if I'd give him the MiP. That might have to go to James Harden.
    I don't think Harden has improved much, he just went from 3rd option to 1st option. Of course your numbers will go up. But has his overall play? Ehh.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure Hill is even close to our most improved player. I would say both Lance and PG24 are more improved. Hill has certainly become more consistent though.
    I don't know that Lance is that much improved but the fact is that he has gotten the opportunity to show what he can do......

  15. #9
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know that Lance is that much improved but the fact is that he has gotten the opportunity to show what he can do......
    His defense is 1000x better than it was last year, as well as his decision making. If you say he isn't improved more than just opportunity, you are looking through blinders.

  16. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Cool Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His defense is 1000x better than it was last year, as well as his decision making. If you say he isn't improved more than just opportunity, you are looking through blinders.
    I will take your word for it. I just never saw enough of him before this year to really have an opinion on what he was..... I do know people said he came in and couldn't guard a fence post but he seems to be a pretty good defender now.

  17. #11

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    I dont know that Harden improved as mush as he just got a bigger role. Same talent, IMO.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

    @LetsTalkPacers

  18. #12
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will take your word for it. I just never saw enough of him before this year to really have an opinion on what he was..... I do know people said he came in and couldn't guard a fence post but he seems to be a pretty good defender now.
    I'm sure others will chime in and offer up some stats, but he is no longer a liability on defense nor does he make you cringe (as much) from playground passes. And his shot is much improved as well. I'd say he has improved a lot from last year.

  19. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    I remember when I compared Hill to Billups last year and people ridiculed me for it, I'm glad to be right again

  20. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    If Hill is getting consideration now, I think it will become even more so after Granger returns to the lineup. I think that Hill's assist numbers should increase, maybe even quite a bit, with Granger on the floor. Even if not, the overall team scoring should be much better, which will reflect well on Hill.

  21. #15
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,834

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember when I compared Hill to Billups last year and people ridiculed me for it, I'm glad to be right again
    I remember those comparisons from in the past and though I didn't remember who brought them up I'm pretty sure that lots of people agreed that was a good comparison.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,449

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    No.

    Jrue Holiday is the MIP in the league.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember those comparisons from in the past and though I didn't remember who brought them up I'm pretty sure that lots of people agreed that was a good comparison.
    No when DC was the starter and people thought he was the best thing ever.

  26. #18
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,776

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Paul George is a bigger candidate for MIP. Paul has gone from role player to potential all-star.
    David "And One" West

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  28. #19
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember when I compared Hill to Billups last year and people ridiculed me for it, I'm glad to be right again
    I think I might have found the reason you are ridiculed.

  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:


  30. #20
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,449

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George is a bigger candidate for MIP. Paul has gone from role player to potential all-star.
    I'll give you that. Seems to be a lot of worthy players of getting it this year.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  31. #21
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,834

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No when DC was the starter and people thought he was the best thing ever.
    Then show me where you were ridiculed. I did a search and can't find it. The only thing I can find is this thread of support against your argument: http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...hlight=billups

    But that is fairly recent and you aren't in the conversation.

  32. #22

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    I like the Chauncey Billups comparison. Pretty spot on.

  33. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Butler U Area
    Posts
    44
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will take your word for it. I just never saw enough of him before this year to really have an opinion on what he was..... I do know people said he came in and couldn't guard a fence post but he seems to be a pretty good defender now.
    I agree! When Jermaine O'Neil was in Portland he was on the pine, but he got his opportunity (ala Pacers) and made a huge jump!

  34. #24
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the Chauncey Billups comparison. Pretty spot on.
    I was making that comparison at the last forum party and I think shags had an aneurism. But I'd felt that way since the end of last regular season. Billups was better, but there is some similarity.

  35. #25
    Member VideoVandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coatesville, IN
    Posts
    352

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hil a MIP candidate?

    While it is interesting and nice to see a Pacer actually brought up in some sort of Media outlet, I have to say I just don't see him as even a candidate for this award......When we went on the great run post All-Star break last season, he was a major reason why and his play during that stretch is very similar to this seasons play. We went 13-4 in April last season and that was a major reason we shot up the standing charts at the end of last season and that had a ton to do with George Hill's play during that stretch, so again while I think it's cool he is getting some love in the article. I personally would not consider him for MIP.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 02:35 PM
  2. Sports Guy: MVP candidate breakdown
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-16-2006, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •