Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Danny Granger (Non-) Update from Pacers.com

Default A Danny Granger (Non-) Update from Pacers.com

Mostly just a recap of stuff we already knew (although it's as good a recap as I've seen yet), but there was this:

When asked whether we may see Granger on the floor in their rescheduled game against the Chicago Bulls on Feb. 4, Vogel said, “Yeah, we might. That’s right around the time that we’re hoping to get him back but we’ll see.”
    http://blogs.pacers.com/no-news-is-g...s-for-granger/
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: A Danny Granger (Non-) Update from Pacers.com

This has probably been discussed, but I haven't really seen much in detail, so I will ask this question here.

When Danny returns, how does this offense adjust? Paul George had reached a point that none of us want to see him regress from. West will always get his shots. Hill and Roy don't necessarily need to be a focus on offense to be effective. And Danny will always be a big part of our plans.

So, how do we make the pieces fit?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would love to see the starting line-up stay with Danny coming off the bench. I think the added offense to the second unit will be great for all the players especially DJA

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would love to see the starting line-up stay with Danny coming off the bench. I think the added offense to the second unit will be great for all the players especially DJA
    To ease him back after an injury I could agree. But our starting unit without Granger hasn't proven to be any better than average offensively, so I'm not sure what you'd gain.

All of our scorers can score without dominating the ball, without filling the exact same space. It's not like we've got an Amare situation where the better PnR partner is Chandler and the better 1 on 1 PF is Carmelo. Granger and George can both score by creating or by spotting up.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This has probably been discussed, but I haven't really seen much in detail, so I will ask this question here.

When Danny returns, how does this offense adjust? Paul George had reached a point that none of us want to see him regress from. West will always get his shots. Hill and Roy don't necessarily need to be a focus on offense to be effective. And Danny will always be a big part of our plans.

So, how do we make the pieces fit?
    If it were up to me, I would run the offense through PG, DG, and DW and let Hill and Hibbert pick up the offensive scraps. Let them focus on defense (and in Hill's case also on getting those 3 going). Obvious stuff, and I think Vogel will essentially try to do this, but I think he'll keep throwing Hibbert a little bit too many bones in the post. I'm fine with going to Roy if he can regain his usual FG%, but right now he's just not dependable on that end of the floor.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Danny, Paul, George, David and Roy will keep defenses more honest then ever because of Paul, David and George growth this year. Less double teams on Danny and Roy. More team domination. It should get really fun once Danny gets back to game shape.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    I'm good with that for a game or two, as he gets his legs under him and gets into game shape. I'm also in favor of limiting his minutes in the first few games, and going easy on his minutes (30-ish) for the first month.

But keeping him on the bench long-term? No way. There's no way you bench Danny Granger for Lance Stephenson if they're both healthy. Danny will make the starting unit so much more dangerous it's not funny. And the second unit will work great for Lance. He and Tyler play well together, and he'll get to be more of a gunner than he will with the first unit.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    If it were up to me, I would run the offense through PG, DG, and DW and let Hill and Hibbert pick up the offensive scraps. Let them focus on defense (and in Hill's case also on getting those 3 going). Obvious stuff, and I think Vogel will essentially try to do this, but I think he'll keep throwing Hibbert a little bit too many bones in the post. I'm fine with going to Roy if he can regain his usual FG%, but right now he's just not dependable on that end of the floor.
    I think the attempts for Roy and Hill will go down, as will Lance and Tyler. But I want the ball in Hill's or West's hands in the 4th quarter. They have proven they can handle it. So while Hill might not get the attempts in the first 3 quarters, the 4th should be where he explodes.

As much as this will improve our starting unit, it will also improve our 2nd unit. There are now 7 bench players that have gotten regular playing time with us at some point this season. And because of the players we roll with, we have a lot of flexibility. If one of Augustin, Lance, or Green are playing badly you can always swap him out for Young. At least you will get strong defense and anything he does offensively is a bonus. Conversely, if one of them is playing well in a particular game you can keep one in the game an extended period of time without playing guys out of position.

Our injuries have shown that our new bench isn't strong to be sure. But it's also given them a lot of playing time to improve.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Mood

I am really interested to see what Danny's return will do for our inside game....With PG24 stepping up and becoming the player we've been expecting him to be, and the threat that Danny has posed for so many years, teams will not be able to disregard either of them. You have to play both of them straight up or get burnt....This will unclog the inside allowing Roy and West more room to move and attack. No more saggy defense to help double down in the post....I am VERY excited for Danny to return....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Interesting ideas here. Putting Granger in as a six-man would be a great way to let him work his way up to consistent starter-level minutes and is very compatible with continuing to heal his tendinosis. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen for more than 2-3 games in Feb.

After reading that piece from Agness I would say it leaves me feeling less optimistic about the likely hood of a symptom free knee for Danny. I guess I was under the impression he had surgery, not just some type of injection. Due to the extent of the pain and reduced mobility Danny was having I fail to see how an injection and rest will fix the issue. It's like Dunleavy's knee all over again. I think we'll see Danny for a week or two in February before they decide to shut him down for the year.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    After reading that piece from Agness I would say it leaves me feeling less optimistic about the likely hood of a symptom free knee for Danny. I guess I was under the impression he had surgery, not just some type of injection. Due to the extent of the pain and reduced mobility Danny was having I fail to see how an injection and rest will fix the issue. It's like Dunleavy's knee all over again. I think we'll see Danny for a week or two in February before they decide to shut him down for the year.
    I'm pretty sure the pain and reduced mobility was actually due to the injection. He had his sharp pain during the preseason, but aside from a lack of confidence in it his mobility was fine. Then they decided to treat the issue rather than let him try to play through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    After reading that piece from Agness I would say it leaves me feeling less optimistic about the likely hood of a symptom free knee for Danny. I guess I was under the impression he had surgery, not just some type of injection. Due to the extent of the pain and reduced mobility Danny was having I fail to see how an injection and rest will fix the issue.
    Well, here's a writeup:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...0150270290322X

"Platelets are rich in growth factors that may contribute to an accelerated tissue regeneration process."

Right now, it's too soon to say. But other guys have had this and come back better, so it's at least possible.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Well, there's no way that Danny is used to bolster the bench long term.

Personally, the fact that we'd now have 3 excellent perimeter defenders (Hill/PG/Danny) is going to bolster our defense even more, and Danny should significantly help on the offensive end. Adds another shooter, he can get to the rim etc.

It'll really be a pick your poison situation for defenses. If you double West/Roy, you're leaving 3 excellent shooters/finishers open. All three can drive and finish, pull up, or take the 3. If you don't double, you'll end up with West going for his usual 8/12 shooting and 18 points.

I'm excited.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

when danny comes back, i think paul still needs to take the lead. hes more of the playmaker between the two. i really dont think it will be a problem though. its not like our offense is blazing and danny is gonna screw it all up. its quite the opposite. there will be plenty of shots to go around.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'm good with that for a game or two, as he gets his legs under him and gets into game shape. I'm also in favor of limiting his minutes in the first few games, and going easy on his minutes (30-ish) for the first month.

But keeping him on the bench long-term? No way. There's no way you bench Danny Granger for Lance Stephenson if they're both healthy. Danny will make the starting unit so much more dangerous it's not funny. And the second unit will work great for Lance. He and Tyler play well together, and he'll get to be more of a gunner than he will with the first unit.
    I'll put a big ditto under that. Seems like the obvious plan, pretty standard for teams in this situation. My only concern is how his recovery has impacted his ability to upkeep some level of cardio. Having legs under his 3PAs might be the biggest hurdle for his return. But the idea of Danny joining this group while up to speed should really ramp up expectations for this team's playoff chances. All the spacing his added jumper can bring, plus he's still a solid defender and moderately good at going toward the rim with or without the ball.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

As long as Danny is in condition I don't see a big adjustment period, same lineup that started the entire playoffs for us. I think they will snap together nicely. Getting Danny back in shape will be the bigger task and hopefully that is what January is all about in practice.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Two Robins with no Batman when Granger comes back, if he returns with good lateral movement and overall mobility.

If he is actually healthy when he comes back, hopefully he has enough elasticity left in his healed tendon to be able to take the pounding of the NBA without either being more susceptible to tendon tears, or worse yet, microfractures happening due to less shock absorption with a less elastic tendon.

I am skeptical that we see him this year, but I really hope I am wrong.

Banned

http://www.nba.com/pacers/#/story/ne...-danny-granger

Catching Up With Danny Granger GameTime Magazine – Pacers v Bucks
    January 5, 2013

Danny Granger is in his eighth season with the Pacers and with the exception of two preseason games, has not played due to left patellar tendinosis. He underwent a procedure shortly after the preseason and has been rehabbing ever since. The Pacers hope to have him back soon as he has been the team’s leading scorer the last five seasons.

How is your knee?

Granger: It’s coming along. I’m feeling better, starting to do more things. I’m just listening to the medical staff and rehabbing at their direction.

What has been the hardest part of the injury?

Granger: Patience. You want in the worst way to speed things up and get back out there, but you can’t risk any setbacks. I miss the games, the competition, helping the team.

You became a father last summer to twins (a boy, Jaxon, and a girl, Jade). What has that been like?

Granger: Awesome, really incredible. It’s hard to put into words to see yourself in this little person. My wife and I love it.

How has it changed you?

Granger: My life is now devoted to my children. It has made me more responsible.

What music are you listening to these days?

2 Chains.

You watch a lot of videos and movies. What have you seen lately and what do you recommend?

Granger: Django Unchained, it just came out, and for a DVD, Spartacus.

Q:‘DannyOke’ is a very popular in-game feature. What do you think of it?

Granger: I have a lot of fun with it. I think I sound very good.

You know you can't sing worth a darn?

Granger: Except that I can sing. Everybody thinks they can sing.

So you think you can be the next American Idol?

Granger: I know I can be the next American Idol!

Single-Game Tickets » Single-game tickets through January 31, 2013 now on sale

Hmm. So the first time Danny's talked to the press, and it's another non-update. Give us some beef, Danny! Three-quarters of this is human interest stuff, which is well and good but the question I wanted was "Do you feel like you're on-schedule with your rehab?"

Enjoy your time at PD!

I fully expect us to lose a couple games when Danny comes back (and for some people to freak out and demand we dump him). I think that's pretty normal. It happens all the time when a team has to re-integrate their best player when he has been out for awhile and the team has learned to play without him.

But damn I cant wait for him to return!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He misspelled 2 Chainz.. (or correctly spelled it I guess). And I find it equally hilarious that Danny listens to him.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to PritchSlap For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PritchSlap View Post
    He misspelled 2 Chainz.. (or correctly spelled it I guess). And I find it equally hilarious that Danny listens to him.
    Danny spoke it, the (unnamed) reporter wrote it down.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Hmm ... Consider the possibility that Danny will be restricted to modest minutes for the rest of the season. In that event, would you rather see Frank play him with the 2nd group or just brief minutes (and end of game) with the starters?
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel