Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Pacers/Wizards Postgame Thread 1/2/13

Default Re: Pacers/Wizards Postgame Thread 1/2/13

I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt Big Baby is 6'9" with anything less than platforms on, but fine, we'll give him 6'9". There's no reason to go to a matchup in the post with a 5 inch height advantage? I'm glad you're not a coach, of course you should go to that advantage. You abuse the fact that a 6'9" inch man should not be able to guard your 7'2" man and force them to sub him out, removing his scoring from the game.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The stats prove what? He scored 50% less than a guy he is 8 inches taller than. He couldn't get good position down low, he got bullied, he didn't score for **** in a match up where he should score 30 every time. He grabbed 10 rebounds a game against a 6'6" guy. If I was 7'2" and didn't put up 30/15 with them playing a 6'6" guy on me, someone should put me on suicide watch. I got too much pride to think 10 points and 11 boards against an undersized power forward is any good. You are straight delusional if you think they are good numbers in that matchup. He averaged less points than his season average... against a super short power forward! What a joke.
    I don't have time for a full answer as I'm watching the game currently.

But let me ask you a simple question. Do you know what leverage is?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

I'm done with this conversation if you're going to resort to condescension, guy...and I say guy because it's a public forum with rules, the word I'd use to your face is much worse.

Of course I know what leverage is, that's why all the NBA teams try to sign 6'8" thick guys to play center and not 7 footers, duh.

Sports Logo

I'm done with this conversation if you're going to resort to condescension, guy...and I say guy because it's a public forum with rules, the word I'd use to your face is much worse.

Of course I know what leverage is, that's why all the NBA teams try to sign 6'8" thick guys to play center and not 7 footers, duh.
    If you want to swear at me, you're free to do so. You can always swear at me in a PM if you want to avoid a potential ban. I'm not going to report you.

It wasn't condescension, though. It was an honest question. I'm just wondering if you know how important leverage is when fighting for post position.

There's a reason why 7'7 Gheorghe Mursan only averaged 6.4 RPG in 21.9 MPG for his career and never had a single 10 RPG season. There's a reason why 7'6 Yao Ming (who's a HoF lock) didn't average 10 RPG for his career despite playing 32.5 MPG. There's a reason why he only had 2 seasons in which he averaged more than 10 RPG.

Leverage is important.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    If you want to swear at me, you're free to do so. You can always swear at me in a PM if you want to avoid a potential ban. I'm not going to report you.

It wasn't condescension, though. It was an honest question. I'm just wondering if you know how important leverage is when fighting for post position.

There's a reason why 7'7 Gheorghe Mursan only averaged 6.4 RPG in 21.9 MPG for his career and never had a single 10 RPG season. There's a reason why 7'6 Yao Ming (who's a HoF lock) didn't average 10 RPG for his career despite playing 32.5 MPG. There's a reason why he only had 2 seasons in which he averaged more than 10 RPG.

Leverage is important.
    Alright, I apologize, I took your question wrong. Leverage is a very simple concept that I'd be surprised of any adult not having an understanding of.

How many points do you think Yao would hang on Glen Davis? 50? Definitely at least 40. Well. Realistically he'd abuse him really bad for a quarter and then the opposing coach would never try that matchup again.

The answer around the NBA to teams with good 7 footers isn't to put in a short stocky guy to stop them. There's a reason for that.

The answer around the NBA to teams with good 7 footers isn't to put in a short stocky guy to stop them.
    It frequently is, actually. But that's neither here nor there.

The stats for the Orlando series are misleading. The team was built around 3-point shooting, so our defensive plan was to lock down the perimeter even if it meant Davis getting his points. We never doubled him all series long.

Orlando, however, knew that the middle was our point of attack, so they focused on packing the lane and stopping our big men. Both West and Hibbert saw frequent double-teams, so they consistently moved the ball to our perimeter players.

Both teams' defensive strategies worked; we just had more horses than they did. That got us the win.

Stats don't tell the whole story.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

How many points do you think Yao would hang on Glen Davis? 50? Definitely at least 40. Well. Realistically he'd abuse him really bad for a quarter and then the opposing coach would never try that matchup again.
    Yao Ming would probably put up tons of points against Glen Davis. But Yao Ming is a lock for the Hall of Fame. He was an amazing offensive player when he was healthy and able to play. He could do anything he wanted with the ball. He could easily finish at the rim since he was 7'6. He had a great mid range shot. He had a great back to the basket game. He could pass the ball. Hell, he could even put the ball to the floor when it was needed.

Yao Ming was an amazing offensive player when he played. Roy Hibbert is only an acceptable offensive player. You simply cannot expect similar production.

It's like saying "hey, since Tim Duncan can do it why Roy cannot?" Well, the answer is that Roy isn't Tim Duncan. He isn't Yao Ming either.

The answer around the NBA to teams with good 7 footers isn't to put in a short stocky guy to stop them. There's a reason for that.

Chuck Hayes is 6'6.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Chuck Hayes is 6'6.
    Back in the day when Jermaine O'Neal was a post-up beast, the guy who gave him the most trouble was Corliss Williamson. He's listed at 6'7", but was probably more like 6'5".
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Back in the day when Jermaine O'Neal was a post-up beast, the guy who gave him the most trouble was Corliss Williamson. He's listed at 6'7", but was probably more like 6'5".
    Chuck is a beast on his own right. He is only 6'6 but he was the starting Center for the Rockets in the 10 - 11 season. He was also the starting Center in Houston's 09 playoff run due to Yao's and Dikembe's injuries. He was a part of the team that went to 7 games against the eventual champs (Lakers) in the 2nd round of the Western playoffs.

I just admire the guy. He is 6'6. 6' ****ing 6. He cannot shot the ball. He is not terribly quick. He does not have a high vertical. He is not athletic, in general. And yet he plays Center in the NBA.

How can he do that? Well, he's strong as an ax and he's also smart. He is a lock down defender and a good passer. He's also an excellent rebounder despite his size. And that's pretty much it.

He is definately one of my favorite players.

Ok, my rant is over

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014