Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Wild Card: Colts-Ravens

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wild Card: Colts-Ravens

Yes, the offensive line, defensive line, and secondary need help, be it through the draft and/or free agency. It'll get done. One of the best things to come from this season is a new-found confidence in the team to actually address deficiencies and do it right. Thank you, Ryan Grigson, and thank you, Chuck Pagano.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

Personally, thought Luck was mediocre in this game, but I like his long - term prospects no doubt. I thought we played like an inexperienced playoff team. There's obviously flaws to work on in OL and throughout the D.

Bottom line is you can't win with FGs. We had opportunities, we got some turnovers, but we just couldn't punch it in.

Great season after last year and initial expectations. Let's learn our lessons from this one, shore up weaknesses, and come back and work toward getting back to playoffs and then learn how to win in the playoffs.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

4. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, thought Luck was mediocre in this game, but I like his long - term prospects no doubt. I thought we played like an inexperienced playoff team. There's obviously flaws to work on in OL and throughout the D.

Bottom line is you can't win with FGs. We had opportunities, we got some turnovers, but we just couldn't punch it in.

Great season after last year and initial expectations. Let's learn our lessons from this one, shore up weaknesses, and come back and work toward getting back to playoffs and then learn how to win in the playoffs.
    Our o-line and receivers were mediocre. Not Luck
    "We want Miami"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Only in this forum can two turnovers and 3fg be deemed as a "good game" by our QB.

Yes our o-line struggled in pass protection, but we ran the ball effectively too. I don't recall too many throws into the end zone with the exception of the overthrow to Brazil in garbage time.

We have to improve of we want to compete with GOOD teams, this includes Luck as well.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't be disappointed with this game... The Colts moved the ball well and generally played defense well enough to keep the team within striking distance through 3 quarters. The offense relapsed a bit in their inability to finish off drives with touchdowns instead of field goal attempts and the secondary reminded us just how patchwork it was, but I looked at this the same way overachieving college teams look at bowl births: A chance for more practice and a taste of playoff caliber football in building for next year.

Now on to the off season. Ryan Grigson is either very good or very lucky. Last year they drafted at QB, WR, TE, and RB and arguably hit home runs (or at least extra base hits) at all 4 positions. That bodes well, allowing the team to focus almost exclusively on the lines and the secondary in free agency and the draft.
    Last edited by PocketwatchFox; 01-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Only in this forum can two turnovers and 3fg be deemed as a "good game" by our QB.

Yes our o-line struggled in pass protection, but we ran the ball effectively too. I don't recall too many throws into the end zone with the exception of the overthrow to Brazil in garbage time.

We have to improve of we want to compete with GOOD teams, this includes Luck as well.
    Hes's fine. Where was Manning this time in his rookie season? Sitting at home waiting for the draft at 3-13. Luck just gained valuable playoff experience in his rookie season.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

It was still a heck of a year. No one expected us to be in this position. There's a lot to be proud of, but there's also quite a bit to still improve on as we saw.

I thought Luck tried putting the team on his back, and as a rookie, he played about as well as you could ask against a smart, battle tested Ravens' defense in a hostile environment. His line was garbage for the majority of the afternoon. His receivers dropped a lot of balls late. He'll be the first to take the blame, but this one really wasn't his fault at all.

I'm hoping with the cap space and another strong draft, we can continue to build on what was about as special of a non-championship season that you can have. There's a lot of holes on the offensive line and defensive secondary that need to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Hes's fine. Where was Manning this time in his rookie season? Sitting at home waiting for the draft at 3-13. Luck just gained valuable playoff experience in his rookie season.

He doesn't need to constantly be compared to 18. Yes he's good, but he does need to improve as well. I'm glad we gained some good playoff experience, just wish we all had played better; Luck included

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Penalties, turnovers, dropped easy INTs... not really a pretty game to watch as I don't think that either team played on a level close to the top teams.

IMO the Ravens that will lose by 3 TDs in Mile High next weekend.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

A game we could have won, but in the end this is a team peppered with some elite talent surrounded by a bunch of guys who don't deserve to be in the league. The o-line, Vaughn, Donnie Avery, Zbikowski, it was the usual suspects who made the key mistakes today really.

I thought Luck was great personally. The second and third quarters were as good as he has looked individually all season in a lot of ways, not his fault when every single blitz was able to get through and you have dropped passes on every drive.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    If Luck wanted to murder everyone on the offense except for Wayne, Allen and Ballard, I would understand.
    Vontae Davis was great. The front seven got good pressure for most of the game too. Defense played well except for two specific guys for the most part and they gave up most of the big plays (Z and Vaughn)

And also I don't mean to be a dick to Redskins fans cause I love RGIII and watching him play and I think he is a tremendous athlete, but there are going to cut his career well short if they don't adjust their offense. He is way too slight to take the hits he does and you can say he needs to learn to slide and I agree with that but Shanahan has a boner for this offense and I don't think he's going to let RGIII evolve unless the Skins get a new coach.

You just watch the way Luck absorbs a hit, all in his core, and then watch the way RGIII absorbs a hit (usually his extremities take the force) and it's not even comparable.

I was really surprised by how well Luck played. Drops and a crappy O-line really let him down, but I was impressed by his play, and more than anything his confidence. This guy is a natural-born killer. Peyton sort of had to evolve into being a killer, IMO, but Luck is simply fearless. I couldn't believe the gutsiness of some of the throws he was making later in the game.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post

The NFL was totally different back then and the Colts were pretty irrelevant till Manning came along sure we had a brief period with Harbaugh but still the Colts were the doormat of the NFL for the most part. Colleges have NFL offenses already built into the team these days there's not much of a learning period.

I don't get really comparing them at this point now when both their careers are over I can see it. Luck is good has the potential to be great but this team has a long way to go.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Lot of dropped balls and zilch as far as protection, but Luck missed some key throws as well that were also missed opportunities.

He did what he could given the circumstances, but within the context of the offense and this game, he was mediocre.

The last pass to Ballard and a obviously off target 3rd and 5ish slant to Avery that would have been a 1st a goal in the first half come to mind.

My feeling going in to the playoffs was right, not up to the level of legitimately competing with elite in playoff situations. Hopefully yesterday was part of that process.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Pollard's kind of a douchebag.
    He's a Boilermaker. And I still hate him, dude's dirty as hell.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't mind the defeat in a way that i would 3 years ago for example. I expected coming into playoffs that the ceiling of this team would be reaching the divisional round. Hope they got experience and more importantly learned from their mistakes.

PS: Still can't believe the play calling in the second half towards the end when we had 3rd-4th down and 1 and we never run the ball. Instead of that, we went for the pass and i think it was on the 4th down when they intercepted the ball ( feel free to correct me if I'm wrong cause i don't remember it well).
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

I saw the dropped balls everyone is talking about, but I also saw Ray Lewis drop a gift-wrapped pick-6, two other possible INTs dropped, Ray Rice making uncharacteristic fumbles...

I think the Ravens played every bit as poorly as the Colts and will just get blasted next week if they play anything like that in Mile High.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Vontae Davis didn't drop 2 picks as well?

He sure did, which was the main point, neither team really played very well. Since the Ravens survived to move on, their ineptitude displayed yesterday has to concern their fans. You're right in that the ineptitude extends to Flacco as well.

I think Denver wins 35-10 next weekend.

For me it's simple, both teams played pretty poorly yesterday, the Ravens got a few more big plays on offense. The Colts had the best offensive player individually though in Luck IMO. Though Rice and Boldin were certainly pretty good for Baltimore.

It is what it is. I just hope Flacco gets a big fat contract from Baltimore.