Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wes Johnson and Derrick Williams

Default Wes Johnson and Derrick Williams

what happened to these guys? They both had a lot of hype coming out of college. Johnson showed some hope, but now hes buried on PHX's bench. Also, PHX has declined Johnson's option, making him a UFA this offseason.

These are two (2) guys that could have a lot of upside and could be had for very cheap.

I wouldnt mind them coming off our bench. Johnson will definitely be a upgrade over Young and Williams would be better than Plumlee and/or Pendergraph
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wes Johnson and Derrick Williams

As is the case with these proposals I would hesitate.

You would think if either were that good they would be playing more.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Johnson will definitely be a upgrade over Young and Williams would be better than Plumlee and/or Pendergraph
    what makes you think this?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Johnson is complete garbage

Williams might be able to find a niche as a bench role player but thats about it.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

for the price of it and the possible reward, I think its worth it.

Look how Mayo turned out for Dallas. Thabeet is also playing decent as a back up for OKC
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

As a cuse fan I have to say that I'm partial to Wes and I'd welcome him coming to Indy. That being said, Wes really hasn't done much to impress me in the NBA - he's been quite terrible to be honest.
    I do think if we did have the opportunity we should grab Derrick Williams to come off the bench, but at the expense of Pendy and certainly not Young. Young has been great for us, while Pendy is...yikes.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

As stated by someone else, I think if they find the right team/situation then they can become something. Pheonix is a young rebuilding team and have a weird group of players. Minnesota is kinda in the same boat, but has a lot of young talent combined with a few vets. I really wouldn't mind having Williams. He could be our backup SF instead of Young.

You know, when you have to give a first round pick to get a team to take a 3rd year player who was the 4th overall pick, it don't bode well for the player.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Wes Johnson. I thought he could at least provide some defense. Maybe he needs time in the dleague or spend a few years overseas to figure things out. Maybe he doesn't work hard enough. Who knows.

I'd definitely like to get Derrick Williams. Williams is a tweener, which sucks, but I still think he can find a niche. He has talent. Just needs the right situation, right team, etc.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

There are a few reasons I think Williams would be a good fit here:
    -I think he would get along with our young core. Especially Paul George.
    -We would be that much more athletic and exciting. Williams was in the dunk contest last year.
    -He could model his game after Danny. A lot of people compared his game to Danny's coming out of college.
    -Good height for a wing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Williams was stuck in a situation where Love eats most of the playing time at PF. And I don't think he's comfortable playing SF. He really can produce given the opportunity as seen on some of the games without Love. He just needs to be in the team that will give him a lot of minutes to improve his game.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    Williams was stuck in a situation where Love eats most of the playing time at PF. And I don't think he's comfortable playing SF. He really can produce given the opportunity as seen on some of the games without Love. He just needs to be in the team that will give him a lot of minutes to improve his game.

IIRC, Williams when going into the draft felt he was a SF. He's a tweener, and I don't see the Pacers having the minutes to give to Williams to develop him. Develop him for what position, PF or SF? If it's PF, the Pacers don't need an undersized PF. If it's for SF, maybe if Granger was gone, but would he fit into Vogel's system?

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    There are a few reasons I think Williams would be a good fit here:
    -I think he would get along with our young core. Especially Paul George.
    -We would be that much more athletic and exciting. Williams was in the dunk contest last year.
    -He could model his game after Danny. A lot of people compared his game to Danny's coming out of college.
    -Good height for a wing.
    I agree with everything here. His height (+2") and length (+2.75" wingspan) gives him quite an advantage over Young. If he can shape up and prove he's willing to be part of a winning team, then I think the reward would outweigh the risk.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    IIRC, Williams when going into the draft felt he was a SF. He's a tweener, and I don't see the Pacers having the minutes to give to Williams to develop him. Develop him for what position, PF or SF? If it's PF, the Pacers don't need an undersized PF. If it's for SF, maybe if Granger was gone, but would he fit into Vogel's system?
    I agree. I'm not entirely proposing to get him, but I think he needs to be in a team where he will be a focal point in offense. That's how top draft prospects develop if you base it on trends of the last top draft picks who became great players. If the Pacers are to get him, they need to let go of either Granger or West just to give him more playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    I agree. I'm not entirely proposing to get him, but I think he needs to be in a team where he will be a focal point in offense. That's how top draft prospects develop if you base it on trends of the last top draft picks who became great players. If the Pacers are to get him, they need to let go of either Granger or West just to give him more playing time.
    There's no way the Pacers would get rid of Granger and West's consistent, veteran, and positive contribution for the prospect of Williams figuring out his game.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    There's no way the Pacers would get rid of Granger and West's consistent, veteran, and positive contribution for the prospect of Williams figuring out his game.
    Yeah I agree. Just saying that it's not a good idea to actually get him because he won't develop as much if he's playing behind Granger or West (or even PG right now as he's playing SF too) unless one of them is going to be let go.

I think there's still some hope for Derrick Williams, as a change of scenery may do him wonders. However, Wes Johnson wasn't that good to begin with.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

these tweener forwards can be very useful coming off the bench. Take a look at how well Young from Philly is doing.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Marcus Fizer, Stromile Swift, Ike Diogu, and Jonny Flynn were all successful college players that were drafted in the lottery and they turned out to be flops. It happens all the time.

Wesley Johnson is most likely a bust. If he can't score in Phoenix's wide open style of offense I'm not sure he can play in the NBA.

I think Derrick Williams could still be a good and effective player. He's probably better at PF but with Love on the team his playing time and development will be limited.

He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar

Wes Johnson is behind Michael Beasley AND PJ Tucker in the Suns rotation. If we want him, we might be able to pick him up off waivers next season. But why? We already have PG, Granger and Gerald that all play the 3.

I'd be willing to roll the dice on Derrick Williams. He has shown some signs but 21 is too early to write him off. If MIN would take some combination of Hans/DJ/future #1 I would probably do it. If West signs for next season, he isn't getting any younger. It'd be nice to have another PF (with some upside, unlike Hans) waiting in the wings.

Mood

I'm keen on alec Burks from Utah he's in a similar situation

GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oz_pacer For This Useful Post:

Mood

I thought Wes Johnson would be a bust before he was drafted, but that was for the wrong reason, I think a lot has to do with how they have been used by their teams, both guys were do it all guys in college contributing in multiple ways, in the NBA they have not been asked to do that, and become less dimensional, because of this they come of as unproductive especially seeing how high they were drafted.

Only two things I think can save them, better coaching that allows them to uses their skill set and still fit in with the team, or for them to improve in the situations they are in.... Remember this is kind of the same thing that happened to Evan Turner, who was a multidimensional player at the college level as well, just glad that he is starting to become productive.
    Why so SERIOUS

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't write off Williams at this point. After all there is a reason why he went number two overall. The talent is certainly there but for young players to live up to the expectations and reach their ceilings it takes more than talent: work ethic, humility, the right personal environment, the right team, a good coach, a veteran mentor, luck, health, and so on. Williams is on his first team and it doesn't look like it is a good fit up in Minnesota. There is K.Love plugged in at PF and a high fluctuation of player personnel. Minny doesn't have a winning culture and from the outside they seem to lack any kind of hierarchy within the team. So yes, I think a change of scenery would be beneficial and given that the Pacers might move on from Hansbrough after this season, I could see them going after Willaims.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I thought Wes Johnson would be a bust before he was drafted, but that was for the wrong reason, I think a lot has to do with how they have been used by their teams, both guys were do it all guys in college contributing in multiple ways, in the NBA they have not been asked to do that, and become less dimensional, because of this they come of as unproductive especially seeing how high they were drafted.

Only two things I think can save them, better coaching that allows them to uses their skill set and still fit in with the team, or for them to improve in the situations they are in.... Remember this is kind of the same thing that happened to Evan Turner, who was a multidimensional player at the college level as well, just glad that he is starting to become productive.
    I was hoping they'd sell low on him and the Pacers come in and get him. However, I'm glad he's turned it around.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Wes Johnson is finished as a regular NBA player. He could hang around as a 9th or 10th man, but he just isn't really good at any particular thing. I watched almost every game he played during his first two seasons and there were barely flashes of productivity on either end. Seemed lost frequently on defense and couldn't even hit most of his wide open looks. Maybe a coach like Pop could turn him around, but I have very little faith that he'll ever be a 20MPG player.

Also, based on what I've heard from Minnesota fans and reporters, it sounds like the Wolves aren't trading Derrick unless they're getting a bonafide starter/6th man in return. I've heard that they are targeting JJ Redick.
    Last edited by spreedom; 01-02-2013 at 09:47 AM.