Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Grizzlies Postgame Thread 12/31/12

Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Grizzlies Postgame Thread 12/31/12

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll give you a head start. Gasol looked real good. He does need to be more careful of his play around Scott Wall though. Wall did a better job with Gasol than the Pacers did. He called almost all of Gasol's fouls. If Gasol doesn't get his 5th foul, the Pacers lose big. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.
    Ah, I see. It's just that the box score didn't seem right. 13 points on 6/10 shooting is good but other than he only had 2 boards and 1 block. Nothing else.

I have to check the game, regardless.

Ty for the info, though
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gay wanted NOTHING to do with Area 55 and G2 in the second half. He was AWFUL from the foul line.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo Sports Logo

How close is PG to that Iggy/Deng/Gay level? Dude has lit them all up this year.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    How close is PG to that Iggy/Deng/Gay level? Dude has lit them all up this year.
    Over the past month he is at that level or even slightly above. He has been getting it done.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Groin issue
    Actually Boyle said his thigh bruise was very stiff and sore during warm ups and he just couldn't go.

I know we won at LA and Chi. but this has to be the best win of the season, right?

I have been harder on DJ than anyone by far. He did a hell of a job today. Didn't know he would be starting until right before game time. Maybe that was the key. Just go out and play like you're capable. If he's been pouting and pressing because he isn't starting he'd better get over that. He isn't good enough to start in this league but he could be an important player on a good team.
    I don't know what to say about Roy that hasn't been said. Just sad.
    Last edited by greyhound80; 12-31-2012 at 09:59 PM.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

If you told me that, in order to win this game, we would need a clutch three and four huge free throws from DJ Augustine to finish out, I would have laughed and then cried. But dammit, dude got it done, and good on him.

The whole game was such a fierce battle with both teams nearly killing each other for loose balls and rebounds. Very playoff-like. For the first half of the fourth quarter, I think the only points scored were Ben's two threes. Great defense and very tense down the stretch. Great win to end the year on.

I'm still frightfully worried about what is becoming a groin epidemic in Indy. Absolutely terrifying.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacers have the best last 10 record in the East at the moment.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Just something I've been thinking about, and I know it won't happen, but why not play DJ at the point, move Hill to the 2, and send Lance to the sixth man role? I know Vogel doesn't see Lance as a point guard, but it would help with our bench scoring.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

DJ played well but Paul George played us back into this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Just something I've been thinking about, and I know it won't happen, but why not play DJ at the point, move Hill to the 2, and send Lance to the sixth man role? I know Vogel doesn't see Lance as a point guard, but it would help with our bench scoring.
    It would also decrease the defensive intensity of our starting unit. No thank you.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I also saw the Grizzlies broadcast and at one point they showed a graphic where Z-bo is averaging. 116 ppg. Why isn't this guy a perennial all-star?

Anyway, I'm glad that DJ played better today. It improves his value around the league and we are gonna need him to be a salary throw-in at worst, so I'm glad he may now be viable. First time I've seen him play for us and he wasn't pouting the whole time. When he moves back to the bench I'm sure he will be back to his old ways.

There is also no doubt in my mind that his handles are worse than PGs. He had a decent game where some 3s and some freethrows went down, but paint me unimpressed. His play mirrored that of our teams play today. Yeah, it can win you a game, but it isn't sustainable.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    It would also decrease the defensive intensity of our starting unit. No thank you.
    Yeah, I remember a point in the game when he got mowed over in the p-n-r, the play where tony Allen Gerald Green'd himself into deserving a Fathead.

Then he took his 6' and 13 inch vert into the land of trees and got his mess swatted... Still can't stand watching him and Sam Young on the court

19. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    Actually Boyle said his thigh bruise was very stiff and sore during warm ups and he just couldn't go.

I know we won at LA and Chi. but this has to be the best win of the season, right?

I have been harder on DJ than anyone by far. He did a hell of a job today. Didn't know he would be starting until right before game time. Maybe that was the key. Just go out and play like you're capable. If he's been pouting and pressing because he isn't starting he'd better get over that. He isn't good enough to start in this league but he could be an important player on a good team.
    I don't know what to say about Roy that hasn't been said. Just sad.
    I've always wondered if DJ wouldn't look like a completely different player if he had more time with our starters... His offense is improved with far less attention being drawn to him for scoring and his passing prowess is better received with better scorers around him... On D Hibbert cleans up a lot more of his messes...

I'm not saying start him... But I am saying I think you squeeze more juice from that particular orange by starting him... Moreso than anyone else on our team...

And does anyone else not find it just the slightest bit refreshing that for once we demoted a PG and it didn't turn into a giant drawn out drama?

And Roy...

I don't understand why he doesn't just focus on D and rebounding for a while... And get his points within the flow of the game... We shouldn't be forcing ANY offense through him until his wrist heals... Just have him take open looks and garbage point opportunities until then...

And I haven't been able to watch the game yet so someone please tell me that it was PG that primarily guarded Gay and held him to 3/17 shooting... To go along with him getting 21 pts, 6 reb, and 5 ast... PG is becoming what I had always hoped... A "stat sheet stuffer" and real impact player on both sides of the ball...
    Last edited by J7F; 01-01-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm currently reading the Grizzlies' game thread (http://boards.grizzliesonline.com/in...c=14768&st=100) and they make some valid points about their team.

Lionel Hollins elected to give minutes to Darrel Arthur due to Gasol's foul trouble. Darrel had 6 points, 4 rebounds and 2 blocks but also had 4 turnovers and according to them was not good at D either.

And they make this legit question. Why didn't they use Haddadi? Do you feel that the game would turn in their favor if they played another 7 footer?

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I'm currently reading the Grizzlies' game thread (http://boards.grizzliesonline.com/in...c=14768&st=100) and they make some valid points about their team.

Lionel Hollins elected to give minutes to Darrel Arthur due to Gasol's foul trouble. Darrel had 6 points, 4 rebounds and 2 blocks but also had 4 turnovers and according to them was not good at D either.

And they make this legit question. Why didn't they use Haddadi? Do you feel that the game would turn in their favor if they played another 7 footer?
    I could be wrong, but I never thought Haddidi was that good. Even if they threw Haddidi at us, I'm pretty sure Mahinmi would be able to outplay Haddidi. Yes, it would be nice for them to have a bigman to throw at us, but we also have our own to throw at them.

On a side note, I noticed some comments about Augustin pouting. I was under the impression that he took it professionally and was working hard during practices?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lol wow some salty Memphis fans.....after reading that thread you'd think the sky was falling on this Memphis team.
    Great win by the Pacers, really loved PG's effort defensively on Gay and 4 of 10 from 3pt. land.....man it is semi-frustrating seeing how confidently he shoots from behind the arc at home and then how
    shell-shocked he looks from distance away. So odd can't think of any other Pacer's who have had this problem, gotta assume he discontinues this trend at some point but it really is odd that when I watch
    him shoot at home I am shocked when he misses and when I watch him shoot 3s on the road I'm shocked when it goes in lol.
    Huge game for DJ really hope this performance sparks him, I was one of the people that really loved this signing and thought he would be a better fit than DC was and man has he made me look bad for
    that thought. I hope he does salvage his season in the latter half though and at least be a decent back up point.
    Liked seeing the boost from B. Hans I was starting to think (and am still on the fence) he didn't belong on this roster and he may need to be cut, and we find another 3rd point, but he made some
    plays tonight. I root for the guy watched a lot of his ND games and loved watching him play in college but the recent stretch for him seemed like his ball handling just wasn't good enough to keep him in
    NBA, hope I'm wrong but just may be the facts. But again great win and please Roy get the offense together it is crazy how amazingly accurate his hook shot was last year and how wildly inaccurate it is this
    year, I don't want to be one of those people that blames his big contract etc. for it but man I'm running out of answers on that issue, I mean advance stats show he shot the hook shot at a clip above 50%
    last season and haven't looked in a while but last time I looked it was in the low 30s just really confusing.
    Last edited by VideoVandal; 01-01-2013 at 04:33 AM.

If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    Lol wow some salty Memphis fans.....after reading that thread you'd think the sky was falling on this Memphis team.
    Well, in fairness, they'd say the same about us after a loss.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I could be wrong, but I never thought Haddidi was that good. Even if they threw Haddidi at us, I'm pretty sure Mahinmi would be able to outplay Haddidi. Yes, it would be nice for them to have a bigman to throw at us, but we also have our own to throw at them.
    I'm not saying that Haddadi is that good. But he is a 7 footer that can play good defense. Since Arthur was killing them on offense, Haddadi could have been the better option for a team equally big as theirs.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Well, in fairness, they'd say the same about us after a loss.
    It's exactly the same, actually. I tend to read the game thread's of our opposing teams as well in game days and it's always the same. When those boards are team specific (like ours or that Memphis one), you will always see "the sky is falling" comments. You will always see posters undervaluing their players. For example, in Clutch Fans (Rockets board) they believe that Patrick Patterson's trade value is so low that they cannot even take a 2nd round pick for him.

That's the reason why I take some comments here with a grain of salt

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I'm not saying that Haddadi is that good. But he is a 7 footer that can play good defense. Since Arthur was killing them on offense, Haddadi could have been the better option for a team equally big as theirs.
    Haddadi should have signed elsewhere in the off-season. Memphis really hasn't given him enough playing time to develop him into a quality backup, but I think he has the skills and, more importantly, the desire to play 15-20 minutes a night.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacers shot 20-24 from the line...83%. Around .800 FT shooting would be a nice thing to retain.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Mood

DJs demeanor always appears uninterested and pouty to me. He never provides a spark. (doesn't appear to play hard) But yesterday I saw a bright eyed kid who was competing and motivated, though I only felt like he played adequately. I'm sorry, if you can play that way when you are starting, you can play with that same attitude coming off the bench.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Grizz Fan View Post
    well we are losing to a team who's PGs are DJ Augustin and Ben Hansbrough. Amazing, amazing

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Haddadi should have signed elsewhere in the off-season. Memphis really hasn't given him enough playing time to develop him into a quality backup, but I think he has the skills and, more importantly, the desire to play 15-20 minutes a night.
    I'm inclined to agree. I haven't watched Haddadi enough to make an accurate evaluation of his skills and talents but there's no reason not to develop a 7'2 265 lbs Center, especially when he can play good D. Haddadi is a quite good post defender and they could use him in several occassions.

For instance, the Grizzlies used Haddadi in a game agains the Lakers last March. He played almost 13 mins and contributed 10 points, 6 rebounds and 3 blocks. He can contribute defensively and on the boards but Memphis has only used him 5 games this season.

It makes sense for them since they want to develop Darrell Arthur in order to be their PF of the future but Darrell can lose them some games. He absolutely contributed to our comeback with his turnovers early in the game. But I understand that coaches need to build confidence and trust with the players that consider part of their future core. It's apparent that Haddadi is not in their long-term plans. Which is a shame, really.

I had a similar opinion last year on Vogel's lack of usage of Fesenko. I feel that both Kyrylo and Hamed can be solid back-up bigs, if given the opportunity.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post: