Thread: Bloody Monday

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bloody Monday

In KC, Romeo is out, Pioli stays.

At the Dumpster Fire known as the Jet's, Tannenbaun is gone and Rex stays?
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Jets announced they fired GM Mike Tannenbaun and are keeping HC Rex Ryan.
    Expand

The House has been cleaned in Cleveland; bye bye Weeden:

Browns general manager Tom Heckert and head coach Pat Shurmur have been fired.
    Details

Arizona next?

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt is scheduled to meet Monday with team president Michael Bidwill.
    Details
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Default Re: Bloody Monday

The Jags fire general manager Gene Smith

Eagles Coach ANdy Reid fired

Chiefs Head coach Romeo Crennel Fired

Browns Head coach Pat Shumur and Gm Tom Heckert fired

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum fired

Jaguars GM Gene Smith fired

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner And GM A.J Smith fired

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

BREAKING: #Bears have fired coach Lovie Smith, I'm told #BlackMonday
    Retweeted by Shawn Crull

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Chan Gailey out in Buffalo just announced on NFLN.

Wow Lovie is out, I didn't see that one coming.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

A FIRE SALE!

I'm very surprised Lovie Smith has been fired. Big things are always expected out of Chicago, but 10-6 is respectable. I guess Minnesota's win decided his fate.

I think a good amount of these coaches will be recycled and get head coaching jobs elsewhere or at least coordinating jobs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Garrett is let go for a guy like Andy Reid.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

I feel bad for Lovie. He is a good coach. I really don't think he is the problem there in Chicago but that's just my opinion. I think Lovie would be a great hire for Buffalo. Granted they need a QB but they have a lot of nice players in place already. I think he would do well there.

Norv Turner and AJ Smith being fired has been long overdue. Some reports are that the Chargers want Bruce Arians as their head coach. Coach Pagano has already said that they can't afford to lose Coach Arians. A part of me wil be surprised if he ends up leaving. I questioned his hiring but he has done a good job with the offense, and great filling in for Chuck Pagano. I don't want to see this revolving door of offensive coordinators come through here. There needs to be some continuity.

I think Trophy makes a good call on Jason Garrett. I can easily see him being fired with a guy like Andy Reid available. It seems the Cowboys hired Garrett because they thought he was another Sean Payton but that has been far from the case.

I'm not surprised Chan Gailey has been fired. I was more surprised he was even hired to begin with.

Arizona really needs to get a legit QB. Ken Whisenhunt has proven to be a good coach. Give the man a decent QB again. The last time he had one he was coaching the Cardinals in the Superbowl.
    Last edited by Young; 12-31-2012 at 08:35 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Arizona really needs to get a legit QB. Ken Whisenhunt has proven to be a good coach. Give the man a decent QB again. The last time he had one he was coaching the Cardinals in the Superbowl.
    Too late!
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...unt-rod-graves

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Yeah I just saw that. They still need to get themselves a legit QB though.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    A FIRE SALE!

I'm very surprised Lovie Smith has been fired. Big things are always expected out of Chicago, but 10-6 is respectable. I guess Minnesota's win decided his fate.

I think a good amount of these coaches will be recycled and get head coaching jobs elsewhere or at least coordinating jobs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Garrett is let go for a guy like Andy Reid.
    Lovie is a great coach loved him and even I realize it's best for both parties to part ways. Lovie will be a HC next year and do well but after so many years it was best for both to move on. Unless a miracle happens the coach next year won't be Lovies caliber. But the team just needs a makeover we are gonna rebuild or retool IMO half the team it seems is free agents and probably are gone. I will miss Lovie #beardown and for cowher Mike Tice better be fired too worst OC in the NFL and they say his contract is still in place WTF?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    A FIRE SALE!
    No, making the playoffs once since their 2006 Super Bowl appearance and starting the last two seasons 7-3 and 7-1 only to miss the playoffs in both is what decided his fate. Last season he didn't have Cutler and this season he mostly did, and the result was the same. I think he's a good coach, but the time was definitely right. That team obviously wasn't buying what Lovie was selling.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post

Norv Turner and AJ Smith being fired has been long overdue. Some reports are that the Chargers want Bruce Arians as their head coach. Coach Pagano has already said that they can't afford to lose Coach Arians. A part of me wil be surprised if he ends up leaving. I questioned his hiring but he has done a good job with the offense, and great filling in for Chuck Pagano. I don't want to see this revolving door of offensive coordinators come through here. There needs to be some continuity.
    The Chargers would have better luck going for Whisenhunt I reckon.

Mood

If teams ask for permission to interview Arians, and he wants to interview with them and wants to be a head coach, as far as I'm concerned he's earned the right. I'd be pretty disappointed if the Colts stood in his way.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lovie Smith's dismissal is not unfair at all imo. Failing to make the playoffs 5 times out of the last 6 is a massive failure and his firing was no surprise. Not a knock on his ability/value (he led the Bears to the Super Bowl but lost to a clearly better team ) but just how things are.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It'll be interesting to see where Lovie Smith ends up as head coach again. I think Buffalo, Cleveland or KC would be very smart to go after him.

Arizona, Chicago, San Diego, and Philly are looking for more offensive coaches.

I think Andy Reid ends up in Chicago and Philly ends up getting someone like Chip Kelly to leave Oregon.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

The thing with Lovie Smith & Andy Reid is that they won with systems that seem to be running their course in the NFL.

As we saw with the Colts Cover 2 getting the right guys and enough depth on the front 4 is critical. With the west coast offense you need a quarteback that can make decisions correctly and let go of the ball accurately the second they hit their back foot. You need receivers who run very precise routes and are willing to catch the ball in traffic. College systems don't produce too many of these type players. Particularly in recent years. In my mind if an organization is going to hire Smith or Reid you better have the right personnel pretty much in place already.

As for Arians am I the only guy who hated his play calling almost all year? It is tough to criticize an interim coach who won 9 games and got a young team in the playoffs but I hated how he used his personnel and the things he asked of Luck. Way too many pass plays that took too long to develop and way too many vertical throws with that awfull offensive line. Rarely moving Luck out of the pocket, rarely using his TE's to play for the chains or as red zone targets. Running countless delay draws. Not going no huddle more often when that was clearly the best way to move the football and keep Luck upright.

The guy clearly has a way with players and gets them to play hard on every down but I'm thinking he would be a better Head Coach somewhere else than an OC for the Colts.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    If teams ask for permission to interview Arians, and he wants to interview with them and wants to be a head coach, as far as I'm concerned he's earned the right. I'd be pretty disappointed if the Colts stood in his way.
    I don't think the Colts would stand in his way. They are grateful for the job he did and know that he has earned the right to interview for some head coaching gigs. He's 60 years old, so if he's ever going to get a head coaching opportunity, it's going to be next season. The Colts won't deny him that once in a lifetime opportunity and will thank him for his services and wish him the best if that's what he chooses to do. Chuck's brother John is still the defensive coordinator of the Chargers, so Chuck probably wouldn't mind if Bruce went there if he chooses to leave, because that would probably ensure that John Pagano would stay on as DC.

I don't want Arians to leave, but there are plenty of good offensive minds out there that would jump at the chance to come here and work with Luck. I'd just prefer that we didn't promote Christensen. It's nothing against him really, but I just don't like how in-house Colts promotions have worked out over the years. I like how our outside hires have worked out this year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    The thing with Lovie Smith & Andy Reid is that they won with systems that seem to be running their course in the NFL.

As we saw with the Colts Cover 2 getting the right guys and enough depth on the front 4 is critical. With the west coast offense you need a quarteback that can make decisions correctly and let go of the ball accurately the second they hit their back foot. You need receivers who run very precise routes and are willing to catch the ball in traffic. College systems don't produce too many of these type players. Particularly in recent years. In my mind if an organization is going to hire Smith or Reid you better have the right personnel pretty much in place already.

As for Arians am I the only guy who hated his play calling almost all year? It is tough to criticize an interim coach who won 9 games and got a young team in the playoffs but I hated how he used his personnel and the things he asked of Luck. Way too many pass plays that took too long to develop and way too many vertical throws with that awfull offensive line. Rarely moving Luck out of the pocket, rarely using his TE's to play for the chains or as red zone targets. Running countless delay draws. Not going no huddle more often when that was clearly the best way to move the football and keep Luck upright.

The guy clearly has a way with players and gets them to play hard on every down but I'm thinking he would be a better Head Coach somewhere else than an OC for the Colts.

Erm I was a bit unhappy with him but I couldn't say anything cause the guy was/is winning. My 2 main problems with him (you mentioned them) is we were passing too much and several of those pass from Luck were deep ones which increased the risk of being picked. The other thing, that i have mentioned here many times, is the criminal under use of Fleener and Allen especially.

I really liked the playcalling in the last game in which Arians was just the offensive coordinator.

I wouldn't mind Norv as an OC. I think when he's just an OC, he does a really good job.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Erm I was a bit unhappy with him but I couldn't say anything cause the guy was/is winning. My 2 main problems with him (you mentioned them) is we were passing too much and several of those pass from Luck were deep ones which increased the risk of being picked. The other thing, that i have mentioned here many times, is the criminal under use of Fleener and Allen especially.

I really liked the playcalling in the last game in which Arians was just the offensive coordinator.
    The play calling against the Texans was much better. No doubt. I just have bad visions of Arians/Luck turning in to Arians/Big Ben where every play goes on forever and Luck takes hit after hit in order to make plays.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Luck surely can run, right? I mean he is not the type of player who can only stay in the pocket and make plays from there? I am not saying Andrew should become Cam Newton but we could use that ability of his a bit more. For some reason I will always remember that game at Jax and Luck's performance.

Andy Reid and Kevin Kolb to be reunited:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...-coach-sources

gotta LOL at that one.

Sports Logo

San Diego given permission to speak with Tom Telesco, Grigson's #2

Boo, stay away from him
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.