Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 97 of 97

Thread: Royce White refuses D league

  1. #76
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alot of you are giving this guy too much benefit. There was one point where he complained that not getting regular PT was causing him to have too much anxiety. He has created and fed this false reality of how things should work, and he expects the Rockets to conform. Yet it seems like he hasn't offered up any real solutions, and is using his disability as a crutch. This guy doesn't want to go to the D league, but the D league travels by bus almost exclusively. Which would be good for him while he develops his game further. Baby steps, but this guy expects some sort of immediate solution from the Rockets. Pretty silly.
    Wait, what? Seriously?

    I'd like to see a link (Not because I don't believe you; but because I'd be interested in reading about that)


    And as far as him jeopardizing his career...I'm sure someone will take a chance with him, even if this gets worse. That's the sick thing, his public insubordination/childish antics are likely to result in him getting his way.

    It'd be interesting to find out where he "wanted" to be drafted. This seems very "Eli and the Chargers" to me.

  2. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This seems very "Eli and the Chargers" to me.
    Or Elway and the Colts. Sorry, I just hate how people knock Eli for that and completely ignore that Elway did it first.

  3. #78

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My biggest gripe with Royce is that he isn't proposing any solutions. He's writing these frequent, vague, rambling statements about how the Rockets need to do more for him but hasn't been willing to meet them halfway or make compromises of any sort. Personally, I think they should be able to void his contract and keep his rights until he decides to make a serious attempt to play in the NBA.
    exactly- he proposes no solutions- only obstacles as to why he can't do this or that and whines about not being treated fairly.
    as i see it- the only apparent solution that would likely appease mr. white is if all rockets games were played in his backyard.
    after a couple of lousy flights, i too developed flying anxiety. so i kind of know the fear he is talking about. however, he knew long ago that life in the nba REQUIRES extensive traveling. that's just the way it is. throw in the refusal to do D-league, and i simply have little to no sympathy for the guy.
    as much as i HATE flying, if i was getting paid his contract- i'd either try to suck it up and deal or quit.
    he needs to do the same.

  4. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Guys, I don't think this is a flying issue. I believe his issue is with what goes on in practice, and other everyday kind of stuff.

  5. #80

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guys, I don't think this is a flying issue. I believe his issue is with what goes on in practice, and other everyday kind of stuff.
    That's where I am, also. My understanding was the pre-flight was the problem for him. The stress of getting ready to face the fear of flying was the worst and the flight was usually easier. This seemed to be what he wanted to deal with first, just as they did at Iowa State. The Rockets agreed with that as far as we've been told with the bus option for games that could be driven to. Then the practice problems, TC problems, not starting, D-League assignment(which he has refused to do twice now) and the need for doctors to determine when it is safe for him to play. But only from Doctors who agree with him that he cannot? Color me confused. I wanted the Pacers to take him, if possible, glad I'm not the GM!!!

  6. #81

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guys, I don't think this is a flying issue. I believe his issue is with what goes on in practice, and other everyday kind of stuff.
    so basically- its everything. at the beginning, middle and end of the day- it boils down to he has a list of reasons as to why he cannot fulfill his obligations and he never lists any solutions as to how he and the rockets can work together and meet them. his demands (whatever the specifics) seem impossible to meet.
    he seems to feel he can get paid for not doing his job.
    i'm glad he isn't getting paid for this-

  7. #82
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or Elway and the Colts. Sorry, I just hate how people knock Eli for that and completely ignore that Elway did it first.
    Main reason for that is Elway did it 29 years ago, Eli did it much more recently when that kind of stuff can blow up online immediately.

    I'm sure if RG3/Luck or someone had done it more recently, people would use them as the example.

  8. #83
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    I think this article is an excellent read on the subject:

    Rockets Suspend White


    Nothing we haven’t heard already from White, who has made a weird point of repeating himself ad infinitum without offering any sort of resolution beyond “let’s let medical professionals make the decisions,” forgetting that the NBA is a business and not a nonprofit daycare.

    While White does have a point and that there does need to be a serious discussion about the handling of the mentally ill in this country, he completely destroys his own integrity in the discussion when you consider that his outspokenness has only taken place after he signed a contract with the Houston Rockets to play basketball.

    Instead, White seems content to chill out, watch movies, and tweet #BeWell to his haters, all while collecting a check from the Houston Rockets for doing nothing.

    To be clear, I agree in principle with White’s stand and sympathize with his plight. But he could not be going about proving his point in a worse way. And ultimately, I think we are only moving closer to the day when he simply is out of the NBA and out of sight and mind, but not before setting his own movement back decades with his behavior.

  9. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so basically- its everything. at the beginning, middle and end of the day- it boils down to he has a list of reasons as to why he cannot fulfill his obligations and he never lists any solutions as to how he and the rockets can work together and meet them. his demands (whatever the specifics) seem impossible to meet.
    he seems to feel he can get paid for not doing his job.
    i'm glad he isn't getting paid for this-
    Just because there are no public solutions doesn't mean he hasn't talked to the Rockets about solutions.

  10. #85

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the paycheck. This had to have been his plan all along. I mean, he can't be surprised by this.
    I highly doubt his plan was to play four years of college basketball and scheme his way into an NBA contract then claim disability. More likely is the fact that he overestimated his own emotional stability and thought he could handle life as an NBA rookie.

  11. #86
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I highly doubt his plan was to play four years of college basketball and scheme his way into an NBA contract then claim disability. More likely is the fact that he overestimated his own emotional stability and thought he could handle life as an NBA rookie.
    That position was addressed in the above linked article, and I tend to agree with the author's sentiments:

    Where was all of this when he was in college? Before the draft? Oh right, he didn’t speak up then because it would have hurt his draft position and cost him a shot at making millions of dollars. No, he didn’t speak up until he signed a contract with the Rockets, and then only after the Rockets decided he needed more time to develop and wouldn’t get the playing time he’s received at every other level of competition.

  12. #87

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That position was addressed in the above linked article, and I tend to agree with the author's sentiments:

    Where was all of this when he was in college? Before the draft? Oh right, he didnít speak up then because it would have hurt his draft position and cost him a shot at making millions of dollars. No, he didnít speak up until he signed a contract with the Rockets, and then only after the Rockets decided he needed more time to develop and wouldnít get the playing time heís received at every other level of competition.
    And I don't buy it. So he's playing up a potentially career ending mental illness because he's not getting enough PT and doesn't want to play in the D League?

    It was pretty obviously there in college, but college isn't the NBA. Again, my guess is that he overestimated what he could handle, and how much leeway he would get. Now he's going on Twitter binges and trying to over-exert control over the situation, I'm guessing partly out of his OCD and anxiety, and partly out of embarrassment and stubbornness.

    I'm not a Royce White fan, I've never even seen him play basketball. I just dislike the way we constantly call for more attention to mental illness in this country and then when someone acts like they have a mental illness they get clubbed over the head.

  13. #88
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again, my guess is that he overestimated what he could handle, and how much leeway he would get.
    I disagree about the first part, totally agree about the second. Overestimated what he could handle? Where do you see any awareness from him that he's part of the problem at all? He's throwing everything at the Rockets.

    I'm guessing partly out of his OCD and anxiety
    Wait, so he's got OCD now? I find that hard to believe, and I haven't read it anywhere. Do you have any verifiable source mentioning OCD, or is that just "well he's mentally ill so he must have OCD?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  14. #89

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree about the first part, totally agree about the second. Overestimated what he could handle? Where do you see any awareness from him that he's part of the problem at all? He's throwing everything at the Rockets.
    This is White, last week:

    The reality is that it is not Houston’s fault. As much as we always want to try and blame one side or the other and try and find the black and white in it, it’s not black and white. It’s gray. And they’ve been thrown into a position now where they’re forced to make things up as they go because a protocol has not been put in place for mental health up until this point. And that’s tough for anybody to do. If there were no safety or health codes on how to construct a building, the people who are going to try to build a building tomorrow are going to be in trouble. That’s just the reality here so I don’t really think going to another team is something that would be better. And it’s not something that I want to do. I want to play for Houston. I love the city of Houston. Since I’ve been here the fans have been nothing but supportive -- that I’ve met in person. Twitter has been different. The fans that I’ve met in person have been supportive. The community here is great. I have a lot of friends that work in the organization, in the building, that aren’t even related to practice or the game, so to speak. So I have no intention or desire to play for another team."


    Originally Posted by Anthem
    Wait, so he's got OCD now? I find that hard to believe, and I haven't read it anywhere. Do you have any verifiable source mentioning OCD, or is that just "well he's mentally ill so he must have OCD?"
    From CNN:

    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/09/living/royce-white-anxiety/index.html



    Of course, the NBA compensation is also far more than a player would have seen in college. And a $1 million-plus contract brings its own set of surprises for White as he grapples with his OCD.

    "I live in a bigger house than I'm used to," White said. "So the toughest thing is going around and seeing that dust has collected in a room you don't use often. And then I've got to spend 30 minutes dusting that thing. That's a new one for me."
    And from True Hoop

    He also explains a key to what's happening now: He's not just a guy with an anxiety disorder, but also one with an obsessive compulsive disorder. What he's asking the Rockets to do is sign off on a plan of attack which reportedly includes ways, including a bus here or there, to minimize his likelihood of freaking out. It also includes talk of regular healthy meals, and all kinds of other stuff his doctors recommend. White's love of that plan is about minimizing anxiety, but it also has roots in the OCD itself. He is an "organizational freak" he says. No small part of what matters to him about having a plan in writing is his profound adoration for plans in writing.
    Last edited by King Tuts Tomb; 01-07-2013 at 04:23 PM.

  15. #90
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is White, last week:
    Ok, so he's not throwing EVERYTHING at the Rockets. Some he's throwing at society in general. It doesn't change my point: where is he owning anything at all in that statement? You said "he overestimated what he could handle" and I can buy that as a possibility, but I haven't seen any place where he's admitted that he's made any wrong choices at all. Have I missed them?

    Quote Originally Posted by KTT
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, I'll concede that he claims to have OCD. But explain to me why the Rockets need to sign off on him eating regular healthy meals? He can hire his own chef, just like everybody else in the NBA. What's the team got to do with it? If he wants to provide his own transportation to D-league games, then that's surely a place where the Rockets would be willing to work with him. Everything about this smacks of a guy who's gotten a diagnosis and is milking it for all it's worth.



    EDIT: And for the record, this:
    If there were no safety or health codes on how to construct a building, the people who are going to try to build a building tomorrow are going to be in trouble.
    is totally untrue. Irrelevant to the current discussion, but completely untrue.
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-07-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  16. #91

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, so he's not throwing EVERYTHING at the Rockets. Some he's throwing at society in general. It doesn't change my point: where is he owning anything at all in that statement? You said "he overestimated what he could handle" and I can buy that as a possibility, but I haven't seen any place where he's admitted that he's made any wrong choices at all. Have I missed them?
    I don't think he considers what he's doing is wrong, so I wouldn't expect him to admit that it's a mistake.

    Personally I don't have an opinion either way on whether he's in the right or wrong. I don't know the guy and I've never watched him play a second of basketball. I'm just kinda sickened with the joy people have taken in mocking someone who is at a pretty low point in his life, and is possibly self destructing and destroying a very lucrative career. Even if he was 100% in the wrong I don't understand the need to gloat over someone else's misfortune.

    Ok, I'll concede that he claims to have OCD. But explain to me why the Rockets need to sign off on him eating regular healthy meals? He can hire his own chef, just like everybody else in the NBA. What's the team got to do with it? If he wants to provide his own transportation to D-league games, then that's surely a place where the Rockets would be willing to work with him. Everything about this smacks of a guy who's gotten a diagnosis and is milking it for all it's worth.
    I'm assuming the healthy meals has to do with road trips and after games when he wouldn't have access to a personal chef. This I'm assuming is part of alleviating the stress of travel by setting a rigorous schedule with patterns he can follow. It's not a surprise that people with OCD are picky about food.

  17. #92
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,248

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have a problem with Royce wanting to put his health before his NBA career. If he's serious about getting his disorders under control, I wish him the best.

    I also don't have a problem with the Rockets suspending him and I think they might've waited too long to do it. He's bordering on insubordination. Why can't he practice with the team? Why can't he practice with the D-League team? If his anxiety is so bad that he can't do those things, he should agree to take an unpaid leave.
    This.

    I'm no student of Royce White, but he appears to have more issues than anxiety. Good luck to him, but an NBA paycheck is not a right anyone was granted from birth.

  18. #93
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think he considers what he's doing is wrong, so I wouldn't expect him to admit that it's a mistake.
    Yep, I agree with you on that. But that's entirely the problem. You and I can agree that he overestimated what he can handle, but he still doesn't see it that way.

    There's more than just anxiety and OCD here. The dude isn't living in reality. If he put it in his contract that a chef must follow him to away games, or even if he asked for the option to ride/drive whenever possible, I'd not have blinked an eye. Good for him. But signing a multi-million-dollar contract, and THEN demanding that the team cater his meals? That's some chutzpah, right there. He had plenty of time to put stuff like that in the contract, and I'd never have batted an eye. Or, since he didn't put that in the contract, he could spend his own money hire a personal assistant to call a chef in each city he plays in and prepare meals while he's there. That would have cost him less than he's going to lose this week in salary.

    Until he can find one piece and say "This part is on me" then he's simply not going to make it. Not as an NBA player, and not even as an adult. He doesn't have to own ALL of it. It's not his fault he's got anxiety issues and OCD. But if he can't own something, then he'll be playing the victim for the rest of his life.

    How does a guy who spends his life playing the passive victim hope to have a successful NBA career?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  20. #94

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    There was a very good interview with White on the Hang Up and Listen podcast today. I think he comes across as intelligent, and more than a little pretentious. Definitely worth listening to how he frames the issue and explains how it all unfolded with the contract situation.

    Starts around the 25 minute mark:

    http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/hang_up_and_listen/2013/01/nfl_playoffs_2013_hang_up_and_listen_on_the_redski ns_mishandling_of_robert.html

  21. #95
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the additional problem?

    I find it hard to believe that it's because he has a bad attitude. You don't throw about millions of dollars, and the chance for tens of millions because you have a bad attitude.
    There are so many would-be professional athletes that beg to differ.
    Grown Man Ball

  22. #96
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    I can't say that I have a definitive stance on Royce but I do have questions. One of them being if his anxiety is that bad, how could he ever think for a second that he can deal with playing in front of 15-20 thousand people? I mean, especially on the road, sports fans are crazy people. Say he does end up playing for the Rockets, the first time he gets booed or heckled by a mob of people, how is he going to handle that? This whole situation makes very little sense to me.
    Grown Man Ball

  23. #97

    Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are so many would-be professional athletes that beg to differ.
    What I meant was guys usually don't voluntarily boycott teams because they have a bad attitude. Usually the bad attitude manifests itself (fighting, being belligerent, lazy, etc) and they're kicked off the team or quit in response. This just doesn't strike me as a typical lazy knucklehead case.

    I can't say that I have a definitive stance on Royce but I do have questions. One of them being if his anxiety is that bad, how could he ever think for a second that he can deal with playing in front of 15-20 thousand people? I mean, especially on the road, sports fans are crazy people. Say he does end up playing for the Rockets, the first time he gets booed or heckled by a mob of people, how is he going to handle that? This whole situation makes very little sense to me.
    I actually wondered the same thing. In the interview he says that being on the basketball court has a calming influence on him, I'm guessing because it's a highly regulated situation where he has a lot of control, relative to the rest of his life. I do wonder if he's underestimating how heavy the stress can be in the NBA, though.

Similar Threads

  1. Tyler for Royce White
    By Hicks in forum Trade Proposals
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM
  2. Rockets' White refuses assignment to D-League (Yahoo! Sports) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 08:40 PM
  3. Royce White says health more important than NBA (Yahoo! Sports) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 09:20 PM
  5. Tbird 2012 NBA draft profile #6: Royce White
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •