Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Royce White refuses D league

Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

lol what in the world?

Doesn't seem like the Rockets are handling Royce correctly. I highly doubt Royce is being so difficult to work with just for the fun of it.

I'd love for Royce to be a Pacers. Fo sho!

Royce does need to suck it up and figure out how HE can control his own anxiety instead of letting it own him. People on this board suffer from it. My wife suffers from it, and she continually tries to beat it. It also helps that I'm there for her. Maybe Royce needs to have a family member travel with him. Either way, he needs to figure it more than Houston does. I know that sounds a little contradictory, but it isn't. Houston doesn't seem to be handling the situation well, but at the same time Royce needs to work on his anxiety too. It's not all just Houston. Just can't let a disease/whatever dictate who you are.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    White can get his contract voided for insubordination. The thing isn't written in stone.
    I'm wondering if that's why they're trying to send him to the D-League; to make the insubordination clear.

I wonder how he will pay a lawyer if he is suspended without pay and chooses to fight the suspension. Will the union pick up the tab?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

If it was just easy to cut/waive White, it probably would have happened. It seems to me there must be federal issues on health that apply that the Rockets have to abide by, not to mention the PR aspect concerning how they handle it. Plus it's not like NBA teams weren't aware of White's problem, and the Rockets went ahead and drafted White knowing about his problem. There might be a legal problem that is keeping the Rockets from just cutting White. It will be interesting how this situation plays out, AND IT'S NOT THE PACERS PROBLEM!

I bet the Rockets wish they had a re-do on that draft where they could have drafted someone else instead of what looks like a possible wasted #16 draft pick. I wonder if they had drafted Miles Plumlee who Bird would have drafted then... hopefully not Royce White. Whoever it would have been, they probably wouldn't be playing anymore than Plumjam is.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Royce White is a headcase, and I'm not referring to his anxiety disorder. He's incredibly immature and is taking advantage of the media's new-ish sensitivity to personality disorders to try and gain leverage, have his cake and eat it too and generally hijack an organization in the name of discrimination and ignorance. He's not doing any favors to future players who may have anxiety or personality issues. He's not doing any favors to the people and organizations that have looked out for him and given him help. He's not doing any favors to the NBA, the Rockets or the fans. This is the only draft pick worse than a bust: the bad apple you can't get rid of.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

I have an anxiety, too. My anxiety is that the Pacers will give a center $50+ million dollars and he goes out and has a game in which he gets 0 points and 1 rebound.

I guess I just don't get it. RW has fought and refused to try every option that the Rockets have made to him, if the stories we've seen are true. He wanted to travel in a bus with his assistants around him. Did that happen? He refused to play in the D league, then showed up late there. Wonder what it is he wants the Rockets and the NBA to do to help him be able to play? Don't like to jump to conclusions(although that is the main excerise for some of us), but we don't seem to get any information about this situation that doesn't come from a rambling statement from RW. Sad story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I guess I just don't get it. RW has fought and refused to try every option that the Rockets have made to him, if the stories we've seen are true. He wanted to travel in a bus with his assistants around him. Did that happen? He refused to play in the D league, then showed up late there. Wonder what it is he wants the Rockets and the NBA to do to help him be able to play? Don't like to jump to conclusions(although that is the main excerise for some of us), but we don't seem to get any information about this situation that doesn't come from a rambling statement from RW. Sad story.
    According to Wikipedia

White missed the opening of NBA camp on Monday October 1, due to a desire to have a contractual plan with the Rockets for addressing his obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety disorder. After sessions with his own long-time doctor, White requested permission to purchase a bus in order to diminish his flight schedule and the impact his fear of flying has on his own mental health. The Rockets and White came to an agreement regarding eliminating as many triggers as possible for his anxiety disorder, including allowing White extensive travel by personal bus rather than flying (which is a trigger). White missed the first week of training camp before this agreement was put in place.

1. It's funny that when his mental health issues were first discussed on this board there was a lot of support from commenters. Now that he starts acting like someone with mental health issues, everyone turns on him. People with mental problems act in ways that are frustrating and hard to understand for people who don't have them. That's why it's a problem.

2. I want the Pacers to trade for him and tell him he can just play 41 home games but he has to also spend the rest of the time doing office work and general maintenance around Bankers Life Fieldhouse when the rest of the team is on the road.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    1. It's funny that when his mental health issues were first discussed on this board there was a lot of support from commenters. Now that he starts acting like someone with mental health issues, everyone turns on him. People with mental problems act in ways that are frustrating and hard to understand for people who don't have them. That's why it's a problem.

2. I want the Pacers to trade for him and tell him he can just play 41 home games but he has to also spend the rest of the time doing office work and general maintenance around Bankers Life Fieldhouse when the rest of the team is on the road.
    thing is though- he is getting paid to play all the games. and of course there are the playoffs too. his frequent lack of availability is far too troublesome to be acceptable in my book. his refusal to do D league says to me he also feels he is too good for certain things.
    way too much trouble for too little reward.
    he can just fade away for all i care.
    maybe a year or 2 working a regular job with no guaranteed contract and a boss who can fire him for pretty much anything and for less than 1/10th his current pay would force him to re-evaluate his perspective.
    Last edited by clownskull; 12-31-2012 at 04:26 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    thing is though- he is getting paid to play all the games. and of course there are the playoffs too. his frequent lack of availability is far too troublesome to be acceptable in my book. his refusal to do D league says to me he also heels he is too good for certain things.
    way too much trouble for too little reward.
    he can just fade away for all i care.
    maybe a year or 2 working a regular job with no guaranteed contract and a boss who can fire him for pretty much anything and for less than 1/10th his current pay would force him to re-evaluate his perspective.
    If that was how it worked it wouldn't be a mental illness, it would be a bad attitude. The point is that you can't just decide "ya know what, I'll just be normal now."

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

his refusal to do D league work already shows a bad attitude. so he has that along with the mental issues. i can't remember a player who refused to do it.
    at the end of the day- i think he isn't worth bringing on board.
    long before he was even born- every major sports pro knows perfectly well there will be plenty of traveling involved. if flying is such an issue for him- he needs to find a way to get over it or quit and get a regular job.

He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar

What gets me is that White hasn't even played in a HOME game. No travel needed there.

I wonder if $$ is involved? For example, if Houston has a back-to-back but it would mean White leaves game#1, goes through an 10-12 hour bus ride, then arriving in the 2nd city with 6 hours before tipoff? That would be rough. I would bet White is asking for an excused absense in those games, but Houston is adamant that he would get fined if he no-shows. I'm wildly speculating, but I could totally see this happening.

Houston had plenty of indicators that this wasn't going to work out well and so picking him at the 16 made little sense.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm just not sure how Royce expects to have an NBA career if he's afraid of flying. I'm not holding anything against him, but it's like being a chef who is afraid of scalding himself...it comes with the territory. He's not good enough like a Kobe to demand his own private bus at this point in his career. Either suck it up or find another career.

If that was how it worked it wouldn't be a mental illness, it would be a bad attitude. The point is that you can't just decide "ya know what, I'll just be normal now."
    We're a long ways from actually knowing what's going on but I seriously doubt it's the Rockets who are 100% in the wrong while White is completely innocent. Maybe it's 75%-25% or even 50%-50%. But just because someone has an illness or disorder doesn't give them free passes like this.

From a distance it seems like White is refusing to make any concessions while publicly placing all the blame on the Rockets. Meanwhile the Rockets are probably limited on what they can even say by Hippa.

The guy was able to play 34 games last year without any public incidents, but I guess that was before he had a NBA contract.

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    We're a long ways from actually knowing what's going on but I seriously doubt it's the Rockets who are 100% in the wrong while White is completely innocent. Maybe it's 75%-25% or even 50%-50%. But just because someone has an illness or disorder doesn't give them free passes like this.

From a distance it seems like White is refusing to make any concessions while publicly placing all the blame on the Rockets. Meanwhile the Rockets are probably limited on what they can even say by Hippa.

The guy was able to play 34 games last year without any public incidents, but I guess that was before he had a NBA contract.
    I don't think anybody is right or wrong in this situation. It's just unfortunate. What's truly tragic is that I'm sure Royce White thought he could overcome this and play in the NBA. It looks like he can't, but he surely didn't know that beforehand. I also doubt that he's taking it easy and chilling cause he's got an NBA contract in his pocket now. Remember that he went to college in the middle of nowhere and had relatively no pressure. I can see why the NBA, and NBA schedule, is bringing out more panic in him.

I also don't blame the Rockets at all. They seem to be doing everything they can to help him along, but there's only so much you can do to help someone with problems like that. I dated a girl once who had pretty bad depression. She would have severe mood swings and I would often catch myself thinking "*****, get over it." But of course people like that can't, that's why it's a disease. It's like telling Stephen Hawking to get out of the wheelchair and stop being lazy.

Edit: "J e s u s" is censored! It looks like I'm saying something much worse there.

My point was that there's a lot of sympathy for people with mental illnesses, until they start acting like they have a mental illness.
    Last edited by King Tuts Tomb; 01-01-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Edit: "J e s u s" is censored! It looks like I'm saying something much worse there.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Ugh, and I read it as something worse before I arrived at this sentence.

I don't think anybody is right or wrong in this situation. It's just unfortunate. What's truly tragic is that I'm sure Royce White thought he could overcome this and play in the NBA. It looks like he can't, but he surely didn't know that beforehand. I also doubt that he's taking it easy and chilling cause he's got an NBA contract in his pocket now. Remember that he went to college in the middle of nowhere and had relatively no pressure. I can see why the NBA, and NBA schedule, is bringing out more panic in him.

I also don't blame the Rockets at all. They seem to be doing everything they can to help him along, but there's only so much you can do to help someone with problems like that. I dated a girl once who had pretty bad depression. She would have severe mood swings and I would often catch myself thinking "*****, get over it." But of course people like that can't, that's why it's a disease. It's like telling Stephen Hawking to get out of the wheelchair and stop being lazy.

My point was that there's a lot of sympathy for people with mental illnesses, until they start acting like they have a mental illness.
    He doesn't seem to be acting like a person with a mental illness to me. Instead he is acting like a person who believes he is a victim, and deserves special treatment. Not like someone who has a problem, and is trying to get over it or keep it under control but failing to do so. If he seemed like he wanted to get over his problems instead of just using them as an excuse people would be much more willing to empathize with him. Because he seems to be more interested in using it as an excuse he isn't going to find much sympathy from people, even if he has a legitimate disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Wow, that statement he issued is scary. It sounds like a threat. This part in particular.

"In hindsight of the recent tragedies in this country, that had mental illness variables, you would think it would encourage people to act more proactively in that arena. You would think that decision makers who are not well informed about mental health, would take the consultation and recommendation of those who are. You would think we would start to do everything possible to not let the tragic consequences befall us first, before we ask the logical question, “why?”, “who knew?” “how could we have helped?."

I don't know much about this guy, but there are like 6 billion people in this world that wish they had an opportunity to play in the NBA. He probably just shut the door on his personal opportunity.

and this statement, what does this even mean?

"I have chosen to not play, because the doctors and I believe it to be unsafe for unqualified Rockets front office personnel to make medical decisions, as they are not mental health professionals.”
    The last statement is a derivative argument based on a very common argument made in the legal profession. For example, its an argument on appeal from a judge when they deny somebody something like malpractice damages - they'll argue that the judge isn't qualified to make these "medical judgments" because they aren't medical professionals and instead are just enforcers of law. However, this argument OFTEN fails because its generally a finding based off of actual medical diagnosis from qualified medical personnel. In this case, I think its safe to assume the Rockets have qualified personnel to determine whether White is capable of making said decisions. (Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now)
    Last edited by BornReady; 01-01-2013 at 03:12 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

He's acting like someone who doesn't want to be held accountable for his problems, which is mostly separate from the mental disorder. There's a stark difference between someone with a problem who's actively trying to get better and a person who welcomes his hell and is content to drag the rest of the world down with him. I used to see it all the time. A person who recognizes their disorder, but will sit in front of you and rant for an hour about how their meds have failed them, their doctors have failed them, their family, their employers . . . and you know, sometimes that's all true. Things fail, and people often suck. But their emphasis is always on who or what failed them, and not on how they choose to react to it. They never get better until they stop thinking in that way. (Not to say though that making that change is a guarantee of getting better . . . there are those who fight hard and still lose.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    He doesn't seem to be acting like a person with a mental illness to me. Instead he is acting like a person who believes he is a victim, and deserves special treatment. Not like someone who has a problem, and is trying to get over it or keep it under control but failing to do so. If he seemed like he wanted to get over his problems instead of just using them as an excuse people would be much more willing to empathize with him. Because he seems to be more interested in using it as an excuse he isn't going to find much sympathy from people, even if he has a legitimate disorder.
    That's a pretty good way to put it. To call his behavior "acting like a person with mental illness" is an insult to a lot of people with mental illness. There are additional problems here.

At this point I think he should leave the NBA and find a situation where his mental progress doesn't play out in the national media. Come back when he's ready. I imagine even mentally stable people struggle the with media attention than an NBA player can get. I don't see the point in trying to treat his disorder in an environment like that. Someone close to him needs to just step in, take him away from everything, and make sure he stays safe while he seeks treatment.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 01-01-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally, I'd love to be diagnosed with a mental health issue so I'd have a catchall excuse for everything I've ever said or done that was considered wrong. It must be nice to be able to absolve yourself of any blame for virtually every situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Personally, I'd love to be diagnosed with a mental health issue
    No you wouldn't.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

That's a pretty good way to put it. To call his behavior "acting like a person with mental illness" is an insult to a lot of people with mental illness. There are additional problems here.
    What's the additional problem?

I find it hard to believe that it's because he has a bad attitude. You don't throw about millions of dollars, and the chance for tens of millions because you have a bad attitude.