Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Royce White refuses D league

Default Royce White refuses D league

It's a shame and I really hoped this kid could figure out a way to work with the tough nba travel schedule and make it. I think the team should let him take a bus to any game that he can and not force him to travel with the team even if it meant missing some practices. It looks like he just wants to put the entire burden of the situation on the Rockets and dictate the terms. Refusing an assignment to the D league is unreasonable. I could understand if the Rockets voided his contract, I'd think they'd be within their rights to do it.
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocket...medium=twitter A day after the Rockets assigned rookie forward Royce White to the NBA Development League affiliate, a move they considered the next step in bringing him back to the team, White has refused to accept the assignment.
    White was to report to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Monday, after the team returned from a game in Bakersfield, Calif.
    A person with knowledge of the team’s thinking said that the assignment was the second part of a plan to bring him back to the team that began with White working out with a basketball staff intern last week at Toyota Center.
    White, however, issued a statement indicating that the Rockets have not followed the recommendations of medical professionals working with White to manage his generalized anxiety disorder. White, the 16th player taken in the draft, has not played this season.
    White issued a statement to explain his position.
    “We say there is such an unknown element to mental health in this country, due to the number of people who are not diagnosed. This element also makes it a tough demographic to support.
    I agree.
    However, it saddens and frightens me to know that in this situation all the decision makers involved have been informed of all the medical dynamics, and yet still refuse to adhere to medical sensibility. In hindsight of the recent tragedies in this country, that had mental illness variables, you would think it would encourage people to act more proactively in that arena. You would think that decision makers who are not well informed about mental health, would take the consultation and recommendation of those who are. You would think we would start to do everything possible to not let the tragic consequences befall us first, before we ask the logical question, “why?”, “who knew?” “how could we have helped?. Why not take a proactive approach of “who knows?” “how can we listen?”, “how can we support now?” I do wish to play, but I only intend to do so with the collaboration and recommendation of trained professionals. The purpose of a doctor’s confirmation is to ensure that health decisions are made in the sole interest of health and not conflicted with business. My only hope is that decision makers involved realize that doctors are the only logical source to decide action.
    There is an admitted lack of knowledge on behalf of the Rockets and the NBA, it becomes transparent as they choose to forego the knowledge of trained professionals and make independent decisions for something as complex as mental health without consulting any doctors. The Rockets have told me in recent conversations that it is their right to decline even their own doctors’ recommendations. The concept of not listening to medical consultants in medical situations is alarming. It is also alarming that a player is susceptible to fines for simply adhering to the recommendation of doctors.
    It is true that accommodating mental health can be very tough and complex, however, sometimes the only reasonable solution to doing what is right is doing what is tough. To portray that the Rockets have been supportive to me is fundamentally incorrect.
    The information that the Houston Rockets have publicly presented about this situation has been extremely misleading and a lot of times totally inaccurate. An image of support has been presented by the Rockets, but the only logical support here would be listening to the recommendation of the medical professionals involved. That has not totally happened here. I have chosen to not play, because the doctors and I believe it to be unsafe for unqualified Rockets front office personnel to make medical decisions, as they are not mental health professionals.”

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Royce White refuses D league

Lord I am sick of this saga. It is time for Royce to "poop" or get off the pot in reference to his career.

Bust.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you can't fly, the NBA just isn't for you. If he has decided that the NBDL is not for him, either, then he should simply become a former NBA player who has game in his local rec league.

Does he expect to only play games in Houston and San Antonio (Dallas is quite a drive)?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We all have our issues. I have generalized anxiety. At some point in time he has to get over himself. I had to. This kid is obnoxious in how he goes about it... as if he expects this and that or he's not gonna budge.

Royce, switch me places -- we have the same anxieties, so you can run my piddly little life while I go play in the NBA for tons of money.

Gotta be kiddin' me. He has a son --- time to wake up and start doin' what he needs to get done.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-30-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Can they fine him for his comments?

RLeWorm

he needs to stop being a little girl, scared to fly on a plane lol

If he has an abnormally intense fear of flying, how the hell did he play college ball?
    And, if true, he just cannot play in the NBA. They must travel by plane for over 40 of their games. It's like being deathly afraid of water but wanting the Navy to accommodate you. I believe the guy has a problem. It needs to get fixed or he can't play in the league and it isn't totally the responsibility of the Rockets.

This isn't about fear of flying, he's said so himself multiple times. He's asking the Rockets to be "sensitive" and "proactive" and establish a "protocol". He never explains what specifically that means, though.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I have anxiety issues--this dude is just crazy. Sorry.

This isn't really about his anxiety problems anymore. It's just about him being a spoiled brat.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. Everyone certainly has problems but they tend to get over those for the greater good. He should think about his future man, its there for the taking. All those chances and potential he has are about to go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't really about his anxiety problems anymore. It's just about him being a spoiled brat.
    Yes it seems that he has an agenda which i think is to get paid for nothing for as long as possible.
    Last edited by speakout4; 12-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Yup, fear of flying isn't the issue anymore, and maybe never was really. If that's the problem, White should welcome a D-League assignment, since D-League teams travel by bus.

Cynics won't fail to notice that White's outbursts seem to coincide with his lack of playing time/demotion to D-League. In which case, it would appear that aside from his genuine anxiety issues, White also suffers from entitled athlete syndrome.

It's really too bad, because the D-League is probably the best environment to gradually accustom White to NBA life. Not to mention a good environment to develop his skills - for all the talk of his supposed talent, he's still raw in a lot of ways. Plus if there's a team where there's no stigma attached to being sent to the D-League, it's the Rockets, since they regularly send their first round picks down there. Shame, but it seems like White is throwing away his best chance at a pro career.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Wow, that statement he issued is scary. It sounds like a threat. This part in particular.

"In hindsight of the recent tragedies in this country, that had mental illness variables, you would think it would encourage people to act more proactively in that arena. You would think that decision makers who are not well informed about mental health, would take the consultation and recommendation of those who are. You would think we would start to do everything possible to not let the tragic consequences befall us first, before we ask the logical question, “why?”, “who knew?” “how could we have helped?."

I don't know much about this guy, but there are like 6 billion people in this world that wish they had an opportunity to play in the NBA. He probably just shut the door on his personal opportunity.

and this statement, what does this even mean?

"I have chosen to not play, because the doctors and I believe it to be unsafe for unqualified Rockets front office personnel to make medical decisions, as they are not mental health professionals.”

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The most irritating thing about Royce White is that he uses a lot of words but fails to say anything substantive. He never describes what he thinks the Rockets should do to help him deal with his mental health issues. He keeps saying over and over again that the Rockets and NBA have failed to come up with a protocol to outline what they are going to do to accomodate his anxiety disorder.

General Anxiety disorders are a serious issue to deal with. However he needs to take ownership of this issue himself. He shouldn't expect his employer to resolve his problems for him. He's going to have to deal with his disorder with or without the Rockets help. If he keeps shifting all the blame on the Rockets and the NBA, he'll find himself dealing with it on his own.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you especially when that hand is attached to David Stern's arm.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

I believe that he has a very serious issue to deal with and I doubt if it's something that he can just suck it up and get over. I do think the team should accommodate him within reason but he's just being unreasonable. He wouldn't have to fly to 40 games but he would have to for back to back games. He wants to dictate all the terms of his employment with the team and it seems like he wants to world to change for him instead of trying to adapt. If the D league does travel by bus, I don't see where he has a leg to stand on with his argument.
    He's basically being the ultimate prima donna gifted athlete who's used to having the world revolve around him. I hope he's not getting paid through all of this.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont get why people talk about this dude. He is a tool it has been about not getting guaranteed playing time from day one(reason he throw a fit and didnt go to camp) with this guy and it's laughable at the **** he makes up.

The Rockets have done things no organaztion would do for this guy and he keeps spiting in their face. I would cut him let him play in Europe and figure out what real anxiety would be like. It would especially be funny if he only gets offers from the teams that don't pay their players half the time.

The other funny thing is he would probably be out of the dleague by now if he would of just showed up and played but now the kid shited on his chance. I just dont get why he thinks he is better than every body just bad taste for me.

Does he have an agent? If he does his agent needed to get a grip on him months ago.

I read up a little on Mr. White, and his history. From what I read, and is current actions, it really does sound like his issues are just about sucking it up. It seems he learned that he can take advantage of issues he had responding to a traumatic event, and has been using it to get things he wants. Maybe he still has problems, but it sure as hell doesn't seem to be as bad as he is playing it up to be. Someone with anxiety disorder as bad as he makes it out to be, he sure did a lot of things at Minnesota that I have a hard time believing someone with anxiety disorder would do. (i.e. theft x2, assault, trespassing)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

White can get his contract voided for insubordination. The thing isn't written in stone.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    White can get his contract voided for insubordination. The thing isn't written in stone.
    He has broken so many CBA rules I wouldn't be surprised if he has to pay back the money he has been paid of his contract. It wouldn't be the first time a professional athlete would be in breach of contract and have to pay his money back.

What the hell kind of statement is that? Referencing recent tragedies? Good god is that stupid. What a horrible, tone-deaf thing to say.

The Rockets this, mental health professionals that . . . He still sees it all as external happenings that only tangentially involve him. He won't get better until his statements start with I need to . . . I will . . . .
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

I try to never wish bad things on somebody, but if anybody deserves it it's him for even putting himself in the same sentence with the tragedies that have transpired recently. I hope he never receives another paycheck and has to pay back what he's already "earned."

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

The Rockets knew they were taking a big gamble on this guy from the get-go.
    He is proving to them that they made a mistake, so they need to just cut him
    and move on.

It's a hard life to live when you are your own worst enemy.