Thread: OT: 'Angel' CANCELED!!

Mood

Default OT: 'Angel' CANCELED!!

Season 5 is it for a great TV series. God this sucks.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...7C1%7C,00.html

It's Over in Five for 'Angel'
    (Friday, February 13 04:53 PM)
    By Kate O'Hare

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Early Friday (Feb. 13) an announcement was made to the cast and crew at The WB's "Angel" that this season, the show's fifth, will be its last.
    "It's official enough to know it's real," David Greenwalt, who co-created the series with Joss Whedon, tells Zap2it.com, "but I haven't talked to anybody at the network or the studio. I can tell you that it's real, that it makes Mr. Whedon and myself very sad, that we wish it had kept going and we thought it was only getting better.

"Joss and [executive producer]Jeff Bell told the cast and crew today. We have no understanding of the inner workings of the corporate world, but we've had a long and fruitful relationship with [producing studio] 20th Century Fox and The WB, for which we are grateful. We just wish it could have gone on forever. Apparently, it's not going to.

"Joss literally called me this morning; so it's very new."
    This news comes on the heels of airing the 100th episode of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" spin-off, the taping of which was marked by a party on the show's sets last November.

At that time, the WB's entertainment chief, Jordan Levin, said, "The work that you all do, I cannot thank you enough. This is something that will last. You can see it in the DVD sales. You see it in the fans. They give an incredible amount of attention to almost everything.

"You've created a cult here, and it's pretty wonderful to be a part of it. So thank you and congratulations."

It's the network's regard for the show that prompted it to give the producers an early enough heads up for a proper send-off at the end of the season.

"Like some of the great series that are leaving the air this year, including 'Frasier' and 'Friends,' the cast, crew, writers and producers of 'Angel' deserve to be able to wrap up the series in a way befitting a classic television series, and that is why we went to Joss to let him know that this would be the last year of the series on The WB," the network says in a statement. "We have discussed continuing the Angel legacy with special movie events next year, which is still on the table. "

Next week, on Wednesday, Feb. 18, "Angel" airs one of its most innovative episodes, called "Smile Time." Written and directed by Ben Edlund ("The Tick"), and based on an idea by Whedon, it sees the show's title character, a crusading vampire with a soul, forced to fight evil after being transformed into a walking puppet (with voice by series star David Boreanaz).

"It's so brilliant," Greenwalt says. "I just love it. It's one of the finest pieces of filmmaking I've ever seen. It just cracked me up. It's so ridiculous and silly, and yet there's all this heartfelt stuff in it. It's just quintessential Whedon.

"But wait until you see the episode that follows it in terms of abject heartbreak. It's just searing."

Greenwalt stepped away from "Angel" a few years ago but has remained a consulting producer. Since then, he's worked on two short-lived but critically acclaimed series, ABC's "Miracles" and UPN's "Jake 2.0." But he's contemplating a possible return to his old stomping ground.

"I might just go direct episode 20 [of 'Angel']," he says, "so I can say my farewell to everybody. That's something that might happen."

As to the future of the show's star, The WB says, "David Boreanaz continues to be one of the finest, classiest and friendliest actors we have had the pleasure to work with and we hope that the relationship furthers from here.

"The same can be said for all the actors and producers on the show. "

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: OT: 'Angel' CANCELED!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

First Buffy goes away and now Angel too! I took solace in the fact that Angel would be here for a few more years when Buffy went away but now its going away too. This sucks ***. Stupid corporate big wigs. Maybe a cable station will pick it up or something or UPN or anybody! Please.

Mood

First Buffy goes away and now Angel too! I took solace in the fact that Angel would be here for a few more years when Buffy went away but now its going away too. This sucks ***. Stupid corporate big wigs. Maybe a cable station will pick it up or something or UPN or anybody! Please.
    My feelings exactly.

C'mon UPN, swoop in!

I doubt it, though.

Mood

Here's a petition for it. Not gonna do much, but "every little bit..." , ya know?

Mood

thanks, i signed it. I sent it to my friend. I'm 10994. you?

Buffy deserved to die after the last two seasons. I started to watch it at the beginning of season 3 and loved it but the scriptwriters for those last two seasons should be shot.

Angel's another story though I don't have any feel for a progression among the characters - this season they're wallowing. Who knows - maybe another network will pick it up. Since the announcement came after the last episode was shot, it doesn't look like there'll be an obvious close to the show.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Buffy deserved to die after the last two seasons. I started to watch it at the beginning of season 3 and loved it but the scriptwriters for those last two seasons should be shot.

Angel's another story though I don't have any feel for a progression among the characters - this season they're wallowing. Who knows - maybe another network will pick it up. Since the announcement came after the last episode was shot, it doesn't look like there'll be an obvious close to the show.
    Agreed on Buffy. As for wrapping up Angel, Whedon has stated he usually makes a concerted effort to wrap things up in case a show is cancelled (Buffy season 6 and Angel season 3 being the exceptions.)

Buffy really should have ended with The Gift. The musical was the only thing the last couple years that was top notch, and the few other bright spots didn't make up for the rest of it.

As for Angel, I've felt like I'm the only one who seriously doesn't like this year. I'd say the only eps I've really enjoyed were Wes's "dad" and of course the Cordelia ep (quite possibly the best Angel ep ever.) I was never a fan of Spike after they neutered him, and the tone of the show has suffered due to Angel's disconnect. I understand it's purposeful, just like Buffy's season 6 being so damn depressing, but it doesn't make for enjoyable television. I'll miss the show, but I still feel it's probably the right thing to pull the plug.

To change subjects, the real crime was the cancellation of Firefly. After getting the dvd's and watching them in order, I was surprised how strongly I felt that it could very well have been the best of Whedon's shows. Hopefully the movie will come through.

(Speaking of Firefly, in case people don't know, a certain cast member is joining the ranks of Mal and Zoe crossing over to the Buffyverse. I won't spoil it, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Should be very cool.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Buffy really should have ended with The Gift. The musical was the only thing the last couple years that was top notch, and the few other bright spots didn't make up for the rest of it.
    I thought the musical was their chance to turn that season around. It had been dark and depressing for what - 6-7 episodes? And for a ton of reasons, beginning (but not ending) with Buffy's reincarnation.

So you have this musical where about 5 episodes worth of crap gets aired in one. It's all out there - we don't need multiple episodes to resolve those things before we can turn to the new evil that threatens the world. As soon as that episode was ending I thought that was its purpose - a quick turnaround that viewers wouldn't find totally ridiculous. But instead of working those things out and finding an evil fiend to battle they keep going down the same dark road with their new archenemies - The Inane Geeks.

I had hopes that season 7 would rescue it but it didn't - it was better but the wit and humor was gone from the show.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Can we please not turn this into a Buffy-kicking thread? I posted this to spread the word on Angel's untimely demise.

Sorry, it's just I love those shows and to see nothing but the (debatable, but not right now for me) negatives pointed out.......

Can we please not turn this into a Buffy-kicking thread? I posted this to spread the word on Angel's untimely demise.

Sorry, it's just I love those shows and to see nothing but the (debatable, but not right now for me) negatives pointed out.......
    I think that's a reasonable request.

How 'bout moving this threat to the Pub. I know you like the show but this is the Pacers forum. Please?
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

Mood

I think that's a reasonable request.

How 'bout moving this threat to the Pub. I know you like the show but this is the Pacers forum. Please?
    There is no "off-topic" forum. OT's can go on either.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

[size=24:1c581a5491]NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!![/size]

Son of a *****. My favorite show, the best show still on television, is coming to an end. This is heartbreaking.

I'll agree with Kegboy that the potentially best Whedon show was going to be Firefly. Easily the best show ever to be cancelled after a mere 14 episodes. Stupid networks!!!!

I'm at a loss for words. I'm going to go cry now.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Here Hicks, maybe this'll cheer you up:

Buffy-Angel Motion Picture???

As long as they don't let Marti Noxon anywhere near it, be fine with me. I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

I didn't like season 6 much the first time I watched it. I've seen it a couple times since and it's grown on me.

As for the movie, I hope it happens.

I didn't think the Firefly one would happen, but it sounds like it's going to. If they can get a show that didn't even have a full season turned into a movie, surely they could get a Buffy/Angel movie going.