Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 100

Thread: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

  1. #1

    Default Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    It can be college or pro, and please elaborate on your pick. I go with Larry Brown for his ability to rebuild teams from crap to champ with such consistency. He is the only coach to win at the NCAA and NBA level, and I saw his work first hand with the Pacers.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

  2. #2
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,604

    Default

    Mike Krzyzewski in my opinion.

    Always seems like a real class act and an excellent coach.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Coach K is solid.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

  4. #4
    Member Miller_time04's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Martinsville
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,341
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Bob knight.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It can be college or pro, and please elaborate on your pick. I go with Larry Brown for his ability to rebuild teams from crap to champ with such consistency. He is the only coach to win at the NCAA and NBA level, and I saw his work first hand with the Pacers.
    Robert Montgomery Knight and he taught Coach K everything he knows.......

  6. #6
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,214
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Bobby "Slick" Leonard! (However Bobby Knight changed the way basketball is played. Before him few teams played "in your face" defense, now it's a staple.") Slick constantly overachieved with the teams he had.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobby "Slick" Leonard! (However Bobby Knight changed the way basketball is played. Before him few teams played "in your face" defense, now it's a staple.") Slick constantly overachieved with the teams he had.
    I love Bobby Leonard but he isn't nearly the best NBA coach. I think that is between Auerbach and Phil Jackson. Knight stands alone in college basketball in my mind. Wooden ran a dirty program so I won't even consider him.

  8. #8
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,473
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Bobby Leonard but he isn't nearly the best NBA coach. I think that is between Auerbach and Phil Jackson. Knight stands alone in college basketball in my mind. Wooden ran a dirty program so I won't even consider him.
    Wooden ran a dirty program? Umm ok.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wooden ran a dirty program? Umm ok.
    At the very least he turned his back on boosters making payments to his players. At worst, he condoned it. That is the reason that Knight never had any respect for Wooden and he rated many coaches like Iba ahead of him.......

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the very least he turned his back on boosters making payments to his players. At worst, he condoned it. That is the reason that Knight never had any respect for Wooden and he rated many coaches like Iba ahead of him.......
    As I am gonna go ahead and say the resident John wooden expert, the reason knight didn't like him had nothing to do with the hillarious excuse you came up with there...Wooden was from Indiana (coached at Indiana state in fact) and many Alumni tried to compare Knight to Wooden, would get annoying after a while.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I am gonna go ahead and say the resident John wooden expert, the reason knight didn't like him had nothing to do with the hillarious excuse you came up with there...Wooden was from Indiana (coached at Indiana state in fact) and many Alumni tried to compare Knight to Wooden, would get annoying after a while.
    What I said is quite true and Knight has commented on it in the past. There was a reason why Wooden got every great center, Walton, Alcindor and many more from all over the country. UCLA boosters made cash payments and gave gifts to these players. I suppose you don't want to hear that Rick Mount had a job checking coats at alumni events at Purdue and he received $100 tips. He worked a few nights per year and made thousands of dollars..... I don't suppose you would believe that either. I never said Wooden wasn't a great coach. Adolph Rupp was a great coach. Do you want to talk about the things that bigot and crook did?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    How do you evaluate this? X's and O's, recruiting? How do you factor Red's work as a GM giving himself great players to work with? I honestly have no idea.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:


  14. #13
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,637

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I said is quite true and Knight has commented on it in the past. There was a reason why Wooden got every great center, Walton, Alcindor and many more from all over the country. UCLA boosters made cash payments and gave gifts to these players. I suppose you don't want to hear that Rick Mount had a job checking coats at alumni events at Purdue and he received $100 tips. He worked a few nights per year and made thousands of dollars..... I don't suppose you would believe that either. I never said Wooden wasn't a great coach. Adolph Rupp was a great coach. Do you want to talk about the things that bigot and crook did?
    I'm just confused why you seem to take moral cues from the NCAA.

    If your opinion is certain coaches shouldn't be mentioned because they had unfair advantages that weren't available to others, I suppose I can understand that. It's a grey area that'd be impossible to really define, but I get it. But I don't get why in other threads you seem to think the NCAA's word makes people deplorable. I'm all for an even playing field, but seriously, screw the NCAA, their only interest is their financial gain.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  16. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just confused why you seem to take moral cues from the NCAA.

    If your opinion is certain coaches shouldn't be mentioned because they had unfair advantages that weren't available to others, I suppose I can understand that. It's a grey area that'd be impossible to really define, but I get it. But I don't get why in other threads you seem to think the NCAA's word makes people deplorable. I'm all for an even playing field, but seriously, screw the NCAA, their only interest is their financial gain.
    I agree with all of that.....

  17. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you evaluate this? X's and O's, recruiting? How do you factor Red's work as a GM giving himself great players to work with? I honestly have no idea.

    I think it is a pretty good bet that Red got by the best out of most of his moves. Like the one that led to him getting Robert Parish and Kevin McHale and the move he made to get Bird.....

  18. #16
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,473
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    I will throw an out of the box name out there: Bob Hurley. He is a winner and teaches kids discipline while helping many get out of bad situations.
    Last edited by joew8302; 12-29-2012 at 08:47 PM.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  20. #17
    Member GeniusJMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    83
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Pat Riley

  21. #18

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    I remember hearing that Eric Anderson had a job, while at IU, of basically turning on the sprinklers when he was at IU. So though no sanctions followed Knight, I'm sure his players got taken care of, it is the nature of having alumni who appreciate great teams. But hey, not all of the greatest talent won a championship. I can think of UNLV and the Fab 4 for starters. And I didn't give specific criteria, b/c everybody will have their own.

    I personally think taking a team from loser to champ is a much greater difficult of dive, which is what Brown did, when contrasting with people like Phil Jackson. Jackson took great to champion teams over and over again. He's still a great coach, I just would love to see what he would do with a lesser quality of team.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

  22. #19
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,637

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember hearing that Eric Anderson had a job, while at IU, of basically turning on the sprinklers when he was at IU. So though no sanctions followed Knight, I'm sure his players got taken care of, it is the nature of having alumni who appreciate great teams. But hey, not all of the greatest talent won a championship. I can think of UNLV and the Fab 4 for starters. And I didn't give specific criteria, b/c everybody will have their own.

    I personally think taking a team from loser to champ is a much greater difficult of dive, which is what Brown did, when contrasting with people like Phil Jackson. Jackson took great to champion teams over and over again. He's still a great coach, I just would love to see what he would do with a lesser quality of team.
    You talking about Johnson, Augmon, Anthony, and Hunt? They won a title.

  23. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,243

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bob knight.

    That would be my choice. Like him or hate him, he took true student athletes to championship status.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  25. #21
    Member sam kaiserblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    College: Bob Knight
    Pro: Gregg Popovich

  26. #22
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,473
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember hearing that Eric Anderson had a job, while at IU, of basically turning on the sprinklers when he was at IU. So though no sanctions followed Knight, I'm sure his players got taken care of, it is the nature of having alumni who appreciate great teams. But hey, not all of the greatest talent won a championship. I can think of UNLV and the Fab 4 for starters. And I didn't give specific criteria, b/c everybody will have their own.

    I personally think taking a team from loser to champ is a much greater difficult of dive, which is what Brown did, when contrasting with people like Phil Jackson. Jackson took great to champion teams over and over again. He's still a great coach, I just would love to see what he would do with a lesser quality of team.

    For what it is worth a lot of these "champions" do not have rings with any other coach. Jackson is great.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  28. #23
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Bobby Knight, then probably Wooden and Coach K. However, Coach K has some serious coaching talent managing amateurs as well as he manages the most egotistical teams ever assembled, the US national team. So probably Knight, Krzyzewski, Wooden.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  30. #24

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wooden ran a dirty program? Umm ok.
    $$$

    Thought it was common knowledge that UCLA was about as dirty as it got.

  31. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    238

    Default Re: Who is the best basketball coach of all time?

    I think red auerbach. He is the tree that has many branches.

    A good coach should result in a good student.


    ****************


    http://clnsradio.com/2011/04/21/red-auerbach-asked-bobby-knight-to-coach-the-celtics/

    http://clnsradio.com/shows/clns-radi...ch-bob-knight/

    Red Auerbach Asked Bobby Knight to Coach the Celtics

    In our exclusive interview last night with Hall of Fame legend Bobby Knight, Knight shared with CLNS Radio that at one point in their relationship, Red Auerbach asked Coach Bobby Knight to take over the helm of the Boston Celtics. It was done with the knowledge that Coach Knight never had any real interest in coaching any NBA team. But it was a gesture which showed just how much respect each man had for the other.

    In response to the request from Red, Knight told Auerbach that he did not want to jeopardize one of the best friendships he ever had by accepting the position. To which Red answered, “who the hell would that be?” But all joking aside, Knight referred to Red as one of the greatest in terms of how to compete and approach the game of basketball. Their discussions included numerous dinners where student and teacher would exchange ideas and advice.


    Knight was also quick to praise Red for the commitment he had to the Celtics. Even when, by all external measures, Red was suppose to be in the background, Knight inferred that Red’s influence was always strong throughout the Celtics organization. Though there are no contemporary comparisons to Red, Knight pointed to other personalities like Lombardi, and Paul Brown when he talked about Red’s impact on the Celtics and their legacy.


    Truth be told, Bobby Knight has never been one to hold back about his feelings. And that theme rang unquestioned when he attributed to Red the significant influence he had over the Celtics and the game of basketball. To hear the Bobby Knight interview in its entirety,

    Thanks to CLNS Radio’s Dr. John Naranja, CLNS Radio had a one-on-one exclusive interview with coach Bob Knight! Bob talked about his outdoor lifestyle, his relationship with Red Auerbach, and why he thinks Bill Russell is the most valuable player to ever play the game of basketball!

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edc For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 11:54 PM
  2. The most hyped HS basketball recruits of all time
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM
  3. Rafer Alston to become HS Basketball Coach
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 08:39 PM
  4. Alabama Basketball Coach Resigns
    By Jonathan in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •