Thread: interesting stat on Darius Butler

Default interesting stat on Darius Butler

when QB's throw at him they have an average passer rating of 37.7, second lowest in the NFL. Should we re-sign him? I say yes

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Default Re: interesting stat on Darius Butler

I'd probably resign him if it's to an economical deal. We may have rescued his NFL career, so I don't think he's in a position to command too much and he should feel some loyalty.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah I think he is okay, but he gambles a LOTTTT, and he played in games where where did not have to face top level QB's. I say Powers is gone, so yeah I offer butler a contract, I could see him being a 3rd CB with a chance to play 2nd in some situations. I think we will grab someone in the draft and free agency who we feel can challenge for the #2 spot. We still have some young guys with some talent and who knows with the help of Pagano maybe they turn out to be a lot more consistent.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Free agent CB's capable of starting get franchised a lot. Teams like to hang onto those guys if they can, so it's not real easy to add a CB via free agency.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-29-2012 at 07:12 PM.

I dont know if he's a playmaker or if the ball just seems to find him, but ya lets get him back here. I half expect him to make a huge play in the playoffs.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Free agent CB's capable of starting get franchised a lot. Teams like to hang onto those guys if they can, so it's not real easy to add a CB via free agency.
    Seems like that would be the case, but just think about last year William Gay, Jason Allen, Brandon Carr, Tracy Porter, Aaron Ross, Richard Marshall, Joselio Hansen, Cortland Finnegan, Eric Wright, Cedric Griffin and just think a few years back Carlos Rogers, it happens all of the time.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    I dont know if he's a playmaker or if the ball just seems to find him, but ya lets get him back here. I half expect him to make a huge play in the playoffs.
    He is a playmaker, but yeah, not an efficient play-maker in my eyes, if he can learn when to gamble and when not to gamble more efficiently then he will be a pretty good 2nd CB.
    Why so SERIOUS

Unless someone over values him I think the Colts have to sign him. There are too many holes to fill on the O-Line and Defense to let him walk. CB looked like a wasteland when training camp broke but between Davis, Butler and Vaughn (who has surprised in the 2nd of the season also) the position has some promise and upside.

I almost think they need to bring Powers back to camp too. Keeping the depth at that position allows the Colts to fill other needs when the opportunities arise. Again this assumes some Cover 2 team doesn't bid up his price.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Unless someone over values him I think the Colts have to sign him. There are too many holes to fill on the O-Line and Defense to let him walk. CB looked like a wasteland when training camp broke but between Davis, Butler and Vaughn (who has surprised in the 2nd of the season also) the position has some promise and upside.

I almost think they need to bring Powers back to camp too. Keeping the depth at that position allows the Colts to fill other needs when the opportunities arise. Again this assumes some Cover 2 team doesn't bid up his price.
    I mean, Powers doesn't really fit the system, and how do you pay decent money for a guy who does not fit your system when you have other needs, especially if the guy is coming off of injury, I just don't see it happening.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I mean, Powers doesn't really fit the system, and how do you pay decent money for a guy who does not fit your system when you have other needs, especially if the guy is coming off of injury, I just don't see it happening.
    Because he has been a legit starter in the league, could certainly contribute in nickel & dime packages, good in run support etc. etc. Powers is a known commodity and second tier free agents CB's or late round CB draft picks are a complete crapshoot. For every Darius Butler there are five Josh Gordy's or Jacob Laceys.

Depth and value will rule for the Colts this offseason. Obviously if Powers has lingering injury issues or another teams offers a lot of guaranteed money you pass but if he can play near his 2009/2010 levels you take that even if he has to adjust to the system.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Because he has been a legit starter in the league, could certainly contribute in nickel & dime packages, good in run support etc. etc. Powers is a known commodity and second tier free agents CB's or late round CB draft picks are a complete crapshoot. For every Darius Butler there are five Josh Gordy's or Jacob Laceys.

Depth and value will rule for the Colts this offseason. Obviously if Powers has lingering injury issues or another teams offers a lot of guaranteed money you pass but if he can play near his 2009/2010 levels you take that even if he has to adjust to the system.
    Powers is legit starter in a zone scheme, not in a man scheme. You mentioned him contributing in nickel and dime packages, and that is fine, but you don't pay a nickel and dime guy the money that it will require to keep him around, especially when you have many holes on your team.

This thinking also goes for him adjusting to the system, you can't put a lot of money on a gamble that he will make the change, when just for instance you can pay a guy like Tracy Porter, who can play man just as good as Powers can play zone, the same amount of money.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Here is a list of top FA CB's that we could look into if we would like:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/fa/db.html

2013 NFL Free Agent Defensive Backs
    By: Roshan Bhagat

Top Cornerbacks:

Brent Grimes (ATL) - After a couple of All-Pro caliber seasons under his belt, Grimes was unable to reach a long-term extension with the Falcons. A season-ending injury such as this often gives merit to camp holdouts, but with an increased importance at the position and diminishing number of true top flight corners, Grimes should still hold value this offseason. His contract situation with the Falcons may depend on the team’s season unfolds and Grimes’ contract ballpark may depend on how fast he heals.

Tracy Porter (DEN) - After being unable to find a long-term home for himself, Porter accepted a 1 year, $4 million deal to start opposite a waning Champ Bailey on the other side. Through the early stretch of the season, Porter has played well. If only he can stay healthy, an issue that haunted him in New Orleans, Porter should be able to cash in after a successful “prove it” season.

Sean Smith (MIA) - After trading another up-and-coming corner and former first round pick in Vontae Davis, the Dolphins showed confidence and placed a lot of stock in their long corner Sean Smith. If there's anything his career has shown so far, it's been inconsistency. If Smith gets everything to click for an entire season, he surely has Pro Bowl capability. Miami seems almost a lock to retain Smith, but the quality and consistency of his 2012 season will go a long way in determining the size and length of his contract.

Quentin Jammer (SD) - For the past 7+ years, Quentin Jammer has been among the most underrated defensive backs in the league. As one of the most consistent cover corners, he's hardly gotten so much as a Pro Bowl mention to his name. Now with a contract expiring, Jammer will be 34 as the 2013 season begins. He's signed his last big contract, but despite struggling a bit last year, there is still quality play in front of Jammer.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (PHI) - After trading for him in the infamous Kevin Kolb trade (which is now being re-evaluated), the Eagles traded their Pro Bowl corner Asante Samuel, propelling DRC into a start boundary corner position. He has the length and speed to challenge top receivers downfield, but has struggled consistently covering more polished receivers. He's hardly a top flight corner, but he's the only starting corner the Eagles have opposite Nnamdi Asomugha.

Derek Cox (JAC) - Though struggling to stay over a full 16-game schedule, Cox has been a strong starter when on the field. Averaging just 6.4 YPA against him over the past two years, allowing completions against him less than 50% of the time, the Jaguars will definitely look to re-sign him to maintain continuity in a middling, but improving defense.

Aqib Talib (TB) - Besides finishing among league leaders in boneheaded decisions and off-field incidents, Talib has turned in seasons as one of the better corners in the league. With size, athletic ability, and ball skills, he's brings tremendous value to a defensive backfield in today's game. However, Coach Schiano and the new regime may be less tolerant of Talib's off-field distractions.

Safeties:

Ed Reed (BAL) - Will he re-sign with Baltimore or will he retire? Even a 35 year old Ed Reed will excite the Ravens organization if he chooses to continue his professional career. Though he's agentless, Reed's mentioned to the media in the past that his heart is entirely in the Ravens organization and he's looking to play beyond this year. The odds of him suiting up in a different jersey next year is minimal.

William Moore (ATL) - Through the first three games of the regular season, there have been few safeties better than Williams Moore. He's an imposing safety with good speed, consistent tackling, great hitting power, and natural instincts. However, through his first three seasons, he's struggled through injuries and will need to prove he can play a 16-game season before seeing that sizeable contract his on-field play suggests.

Dashon Goldson (SF) - Goldson had the best season of his career for the opportunistic 49ers defense. Reeling in 6 interceptions and a fumble recovery of his own, Goldson not only provided the Niners with much needed turnovers, but helped prevent big plays in the backend with strong discipline. With the amount of volatility and up-and-down play at the safety position in the league, it's hard to fault the Niners for not coming to some sort of compromise after last year. However, with Goldson coming strong out of the gates again, it seems that's he'll earn an extension after this year.

LaRon Landry (WAS) - Signing a 1 year, $3.5 million deal with the Jets coming off an Achilles injury, Landry received the quintessential "prove it" contract. Now losing Darrelle Revis to injury, the Jets safeties will again be truly tested and Landry will have to help hold the secondary together. If he can make it through the year in the good graces of the team, he'll be in position to earn a bigger payday. Still, with his history of injury and inconsistency, another long-term lucrative payday does not appear to be forthcoming from New York or anywhere else.

Jairus Byrd (BUF) - After a rookie season littered with fortunate passes thrown directly his way, Byrd's interception totals have normalized. Whereas the interceptions are no longer coming in bunches, Byrd has improved his game in other areas to become one of the league's better safeties. With great range and anticipatory skills in center field, Byrd is reliable free safety capable of forcing quarterbacks to hold the ball and double check his position on the field before throwing the deep ball. In a pass-heavy league, one of the best young safeties in the game should be high on the Bills' priority list this season.

Louis Delmas (DET) - Though Delmas has never broken free into the top tier of safeties, his absence has left the Lions reeling and pining for his return to the field where his reliability and hard-hitting ability has helped minimize the bleeding in the secondary. As the Lions look to find areas where they can improve, the secondary will be at the top of their list and within that priority list, retaining their own starting safety will be high up.
    Why so SERIOUS