Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 72

Thread: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

  1. #26
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,989

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Would love for JO to come back for a final year and then retire.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Butler U Area
    Posts
    44
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would love for JO to come back for a final year and then retire.
    Yup, Last night he blocked hibbert easy and made him alter his next attempt, I would love that kind of presence under the basket again!

  3. #28
    Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,465

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by panthro_1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup, Last night he blocked hibbert easy and made him alter his next attempt, I would love that kind of presence under the basket again!
    With all due respect to JO, Roy hasn't exactly been tearing it up on offense.
    LeWade are going down.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  5. #29

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can imagine us being interested in him if/once he gets bought out (in March). A healthy JO certainly could help us in the playoffs.

    No reason for the Suns to buy out JO. He's an expiring at 1.35 mil, and their team salary is 57 mil. BUT if it happened, I'd be happy to pick him up for the rest of the season and possibly for next season. He can still reb, play some "D", and score a little. What Mahinmi is suppose to be doing at 3 times the cost. Oh yeah, JO isn't Mr. Butterfingers when having the ball passed to him.

    Personally, I think JO as a bench player could be good for the Pacers. He can play both the 4 & 5 positions and would be added insurance at a cheap cost.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  7. #30
    Member jrwannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Noblesville
    Posts
    234

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Jeff P. for JO sounds like a good trade to me

  8. #31

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No reason for the Suns to buy out JO. He's an expiring at 1.35 mil, and their team salary is 57 mil. BUT if it happened, I'd be happy to pick him up for the rest of the season and possibly for next season. He can still reb, play some "D", and score a little. What Mahinmi is suppose to be doing at 3 times the cost. Oh yeah, JO isn't Mr. Butterfingers when having the ball passed to him.

    Personally, I think JO as a bench player could be good for the Pacers. He can play both the 4 & 5 positions and would be added insurance at a cheap cost.
    If we really wanted to do something like that, could we trade Pendergraft for JO and give them both a chance to accomplish something? JO could play for us for the renainder of the season(with the agreement to retire, of course) and Pendy could take the few minutes JO gets with the Suns.

  9. #32
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,606

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Obviously the FO doesnt want him as he has been a cheap FA and he isn't here. It's all about him as always, thinking of himself after basketball. Pacers is his only chance and he has been saying this for like 2-3 yrs. now. I'm tired of hearing the same BS. As bad as the brawl and Ron and Jack doing their thing. The one thing I will never forget is JO at 6'11" cold cockin that dude on the floor. Yea, I know, he had the right, but seriously, he didn't have to turn into ALI. That will always be with me. I personally will never ever be a Pacers fan if JO gets his Jersey hung...just not good.

    I don't hate JO, I actually like to see him back the last 2 yrs. And maybe he could've changed the way people see him as. Make up for his bad contract and all, if you will. Just don't see it happening, the ship has sailed.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  10. #33
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,064

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I've always been very outspoken about JO. I love the guys currently on our roster, but JO remains my 2nd favorite Pacer of all time pretty comfortably.

    I would be THRILLED if we either acquired him for legitimate use, or even just allowed him to retire here ceremonially.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  12. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,882

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Arrow Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously the FO doesnt want him as he has been a cheap FA and he isn't here. It's all about him as always, thinking of himself after basketball. Pacers is his only chance and he has been saying this for like 2-3 yrs. now. I'm tired of hearing the same BS. As bad as the brawl and Ron and Jack doing their thing. The one thing I will never forget is JO at 6'11" cold cockin that dude on the floor. Yea, I know, he had the right, but seriously, he didn't have to turn into ALI. That will always be with me. I personally will never ever be a Pacers fan if JO gets his Jersey hung...just not good.

    I don't hate JO, I actually like to see him back the last 2 yrs. And maybe he could've changed the way people see him as. Make up for his bad contract and all, if you will. Just don't see it happening, the ship has sailed.
    i saw NOTHING wrong with what he did then, and saw nothing wrong with it now.

    Lord forbid turtle had a knife or gun when he ran on the court that night....

    you enter the playing field (in any sport) you are fair game.... Simple solution if you dont like it. Stay the **** off the court and in your seat

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  14. #35
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He asked to be traded. Now I am eternally gratefull to him for asking but at the end of the day Reggie Miller stayed through a rebuilding process at a far later stage of his career than J.O. did. He didn't want to have the hassle of rebuilding here. So that, among many other reasons IMO, means you don't get to retire a Pacer
    Reggie never dealt with the fan base hating his horrible contract and blaming him for everything. Him leaving was the best for both sides. I would like him to retire here. His contract and health hurt this team. Jo was always a good guy.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by spazzxb; 12-29-2012 at 05:10 PM.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  16. #36
    Member Phree Refill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Age
    26
    Posts
    519

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JO was one of my favorites. I have his bobble head. There is no way his jersey gets retired.
    This was a very Stephen A Smith like put down.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:


  18. #37
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    I know JO finished third in MVP voting, but I think Artest was really the MVP of that 03-04 team. I don't think it's a coincidence that the best year that group had together was the one year Artest managed to largely stay out of trouble. Every other year of the JO era had inferior success to that 03-04 team because they didn't have a mostly sane Artest playing at his full potential.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  20. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,160

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think maybe you're splitting a few hairs.
    I don't know. Maybe it is the way I worded it. Let me put it this way. How many NBA players, other than the very top tier guys, would be recognized if they walked down a street in London, or Berlin or Moscow or wherever? The same question could be asked as how many people in Europe, Asia or wherever would recognize the names of players, other than the top tier players?

    That is the question I was trying to get to. Is it an exaggeration to believe that the majority of NBA players would be known by sight or name in other countries?

  21. #39
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,341

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know. Maybe it is the way I worded it. Let me put it this way. How many NBA players, other than the very top tier guys, would be recognized if they walked down a street in London, or Berlin or Moscow or wherever? The same question could be asked as how many people in Europe, Asia or wherever would recognize the names of players, other than the top tier players?

    That is the question I was trying to get to. Is it an exaggeration to believe that the majority of NBA players would be known by sight or name in other countries?
    At one point he was one of those top tier players though. You're right that only basketball fans will know him, but in the US you would have to be a sports fan to know who the top tier guys are still. He's kind of an odd looking guy, and he's a 250 pound 7 foot man lol. If they were ever NBA fans they would recognize him.

    That said, you and I are both just speculating. I'd have to believe that since he mentions being recognized around the world, it is because he has in fact been recognized around the world. He's very wealthy, and you'd have to think he travels in the offseason.

  22. #40
    Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,465

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd have to believe that since he mentions being recognized around the world, it is because he has in fact been recognized around the world.
    Big JO fan here, but consider the source. He also said he was going to dominate.
    LeWade are going down.

  23. #41
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He asked to be traded. Now I am eternally gratefull to him for asking but at the end of the day Reggie Miller stayed through a rebuilding process at a far later stage of his career than J.O. did. He didn't want to have the hassle of rebuilding here. So that, among many other reasons IMO, means you don't get to retire a Pacer
    Wait, what? You have a link for that? I don't think I've ever heard that before.

    EDIT: Best I can find is this SI link that quotes Jermaine as saying trade rumors are hard on families, because kids are hearing they might have to leave school.

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...amily-(SI-com)
    Last edited by Anthem; 12-29-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  25. #42
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh, he made himself do that. Do you not remember when Rick spent the offseason talking about a new offense that wasn't going to be so JO-heavy, and then after 9 games JO had a fit and cried to get the old offense back
    Nope, I don't remember that at all.

    I know what you're talking about, but that's not what went down. It's been debated on this board about a billion times, and I'm sure I won't change your mind with this post. But for the record, I disagree.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  26. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,882

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope, I don't remember that at all.

    I know what you're talking about, but that's not what went down. It's been debated on this board about a billion times, and I'm sure I won't change your mind with this post. But for the record, I disagree.
    Not being a smart ***. What is tour take on what happened?

  27. #44
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not being a smart ***. What is tour take on what happened?
    We don't know, fully. I wasn't there. But what we do know is what DIDN'T happen. Jermaine's touches didn't go up. Go back and look at the game logs. Carlisle didn't de-emphasize Jermaine on offense. Actually Jermaine's shots per game went (slightly) down after this supposed blow-up.

    When you look at the shot charts, Jermaine did end up shooting slightly fewer long jumpers after the "confrontation," and slightly more inside shots. But nothing drastic changed with our offense. We still went to Jermaine, just like we already did. My guess is that it was (multiple) guys blowing off steam in the locker room after a bad loss.

    As for what wore down Jermaine's body, it's no secret. Jermaine's injury problems came from two things: Carrying too much weight (he felt he had to bulk up after Brad Miller left), and playing all summer long for multiple summers in a row (representing the USA in at least three different World Championships). Heck, you can even hear Peck talk about it here:

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...-O-Neal-theory

    Jermaine's biggest sin was that he wasn't enough of a leader to keep Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, and Jamaal Tinsley in line. It's hard for me to hate the guy for that.
    Last edited by Anthem; 12-29-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  29. #45
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, what? You have a link for that? I don't think I've ever heard that before.

    EDIT: Best I can find is this SI link that quotes Jermaine as saying trade rumors are hard on families, because kids are hearing they might have to leave school.

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...amily-(SI-com)
    EDIT 2: What I *DO* find when I look for Jermaine O'Neal trade demands is people ripping Jermaine O'Neal for going to management and demanding that they trade Ron Artest, Ron Mercer, and Jamaal Tinsley. At the time, I thought (even though I liked Jermaine) that was a primadonna thing to do. In retrospect, he had it exactly right.

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...ng-from-Vescey
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...iah-JO-Tinsley
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...ers-background
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  31. #46
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,010
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    I'd love to have JO back. We won't retire his jersey, but I'd buy one. He's right behind Reggie and Mark Jackson for me.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  32. #47
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,808

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously the FO doesnt want him as he has been a cheap FA and he isn't here.
    Could be. But I'll suggest that JO to the Pacers didn't happen (yet) because of a combo of 2 things: 1) we actually had money to spend for a long term backup C, so we were looking at more expensive options (i.e. Mahinmi at 4 years $16m). And 2) prior to this season, JO looked done. He's having a nice comeback season though, maybe due to Phoenix's miracle medical staff.

    Next year when we're looking to fill the bench (seems doubtful that we'd re-sign both THans and Pendy), you'd think we'd give JO another look. He's cheap, he wants to be here, and he'll have proven that he still has some gas left in the tank.

  33. #48
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,267
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    I would love to see JO retire a Pacer. I'd much rather have him on the bench than Pendy. To me JO will always be a Pacer.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:


  35. #49
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,725

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    Seeing JO back here as a shell of a shell of his former self would just be really weird for me. He'd get plenty of DNPCD's. Assuming the money's right I'd welcome it with open arms, but I don't hold any sentimentality towards him. I wish him well and everything, happy to see him doing well in Phoenix, but I've never understood this "sign a 1 day contract [which don't exist in the NBA] and retire an X." Who cares? Edgerrin James will always be remembered as a Colt, both Davises will always be remembered as Pacers. I just honestly don't get it, business is business, maybe it's callous I guess but you can't let sentimentality play into front office decisions.

  36. #50
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Larry and Frank -- Birds of a Feather!
    Posts
    3,437
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

    There was an ongoing story line of Kobe and JO conspiring to get him traded to LA over one summer when he still was the second best player on the Pacers despite having come in 3rd in the MVP voting. I suspect that the bad taste that would have left in the mouths of the powers that were (who were upset at the time) is ultimately why there may still be little interest in having him come back here even at this point. It got quite a bit of press at the time, too, and fans were upset about it and told their ticket reps about it from what I was told at the time by my ticket rep, Eddie Bird.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 98
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 04:39 PM
  2. Jermaine O'Neal wants to retire as a Pacer
    By SMosley21 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 07:19 PM
  3. Jermaine O'Neal: Pacers Leader???
    By Kaufman in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 10:15 AM
  4. Pacers Mailbox: Jermaine O’Neal
    By TheSauceMaster in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 09:29 PM
  5. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •