Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

Default Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...TS04/121228041

Jermaine O誰eal spent eight seasons playing for the Indiana Pacers. He made the playoffs six times in those eight seasons. He was selected to five All-Star Games and was a Most Valuable Player candidate one year.

That was more than four years ago.

But when he does retire, which could be any year now for the 34-year-old veteran, he wants to retire as a Pacer.

O誰eal was back at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Friday as a backup center with the Phoenix Suns.

的 would be honored if the organization would allow me to (retire with them), the city allowed me to do that, O誰eal said. 的 can go anywhere in the world and people recognize me from my Pacers days. My heart and soul is here, and if I can get an opportunity to retire as a Pacer that would be fantastic.

The only thing O誰eal didn稚 ?accomplish during his time with the Pacers was win an NBA title.

The Pacers reached the Eastern Conference Finals in 2004 where they lost to the Detroit Pistons.

O誰eal was traded to the Toronto Raptors in 2008.

After stops with the Raptors, Miami Heat and Boston Celtics, O誰eal signed with the Suns during the offseason.

He said he doesn稚 know how many more years he plans to play, but the days of signing with title-contending teams are behind him.

的知 taking it year to year, baby, O誰eal said. 的知 not going to chase a championship, that痴 the reason why I signed here. I just want to go somewhere and have fun. The spirit here is great, we池e not where we want to be with the record. It痴 a great atmosphere and makes you feel young all over again.

Young sidelined
    The Pacers were short a player on the wing for the second straight game.

Swingman Sam Young missed Friday痴 game with the flu. It痴 uncertain if he値l play tonight against the Hawks in Atlanta.

The Pacers couldn稚 turn to rookie Orlando Johnson as the fourth wing because he was in Fort Wayne with the Mad Ants, Indiana痴 D-League affiliate.

Vogel elected to go with a three-man wing rotation of Paul George, Lance Stephenson and Gerald Green, who missed last weekend痴 game at New Orleans with a sprained ankle.

Working on things
    The postponement of Wednesday痴 game against the Chicago Bulls gave the Pacers five days in between games and three practice days.

The extra day allowed the Pacers to work on their zone offense ?because the Suns used it and the Hawks will likely play some tonight.

添ou always worry about guys staying sharp and having a little rust, but we haven稚 had a prolonged sequence where we haven稚 been playing, Vogel said.

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053 .

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers notebook: Jermaine O'Neal is a Pacer at heart

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...TS04/121228041

I can go anywhere in the world and people recognize me from my Pacers days.
    How true do you think it is that O'Neal is recognizable around the world? Maybe to basketball fans in the U.S., but around the world? I think maybe he is taking a bit of liberty with that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    How true do you think it is that O'Neal is recognizable around the world? Maybe to basketball fans in the U.S., but around the world? I think maybe he is taking a bit of liberty with that.
    I think maybe you're splitting a few hairs.

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I don't even mean this as a negative (or positive), but you have to think that a big portion of JO being recognized as a Pacer also includes the Brawl. Of all the images of the Pacers from that era that people around the world saw a lot of, #1 has to be replays of the brawl. Ron, Jack and JO are definitely linked to the Pacers through those images foremost.

I'm happy he identifies with the Pacers and pleased (if true) to hear that he purposely avoid title chasing to just sign someplace that would make him happy. But of Ron, JO and Jack, JO has had the fewest moments of fame post-brawl to help make people forget it. Jack has had some bad moments since then, but he's also had the GSW upset and a nice run with Charlotte for one year. Ron, nuts as he continues to be, has had glory moments with the Lakers. JO has just mostly been in the background since Indy.

I'd love to have him back here off our bench. PHX is spinning it's wheels right now, wonder if they would part with JO/Dudley for some cap space, Green, and a pick.

billbradley

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I would love if the Pacers brought him back at the deadline this year. Yes, I loathe his sort of egotistical "I'll dominate again" persona, but it would be cool to see him finnish in a Pacers uni. Maybe even a bit of closure for what could of been. And he looked good last night (I hated when he blocked Hibby). I would only be concerned that JO can only stay healthy in PHX.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

billbradley

If JO comes back here for a few playoff runs, does his jersey get retired?

Next stop June 2015

Never blamed JO for the brawl at all, but yes, he's one of the poster boys for it. In fact, JO is unique in that he is both a Brawler and a JailBlazer. Spending half of the time in a suit the last few years of his Pacer tenure, JO is also known as a very much overpaid player along the same lines as Elton Brand. These are the things the rest of the world sees.

The reality is, even with all that talent, the JO era teams didn't accomplish much. They didn't have good chemistry. They lost in the 1st round 4 times, lost in the 2nd round once and lost in the ECF once. They didn't even make it to the playoffs his last two years as a Pacer, right in his prime. Great player for a few years, but these are his real accomplishments and they pale in comparison to the notoriety he got with the brawl.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    JO was one of my favorites. I have his bobble head. There is no way his jersey gets retired.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JO was an NBA All Star more than any other Pacer so guessing casual fans would know him from that. I'd love to see JO back as a Pacer as an active player' In my opinion his #7 should be retired when he is done playing weither he ever plays as a Pacer again or not.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

I love Jermaine as a player and he's still one of my favorites. I'd be happy if he got to finish his career here as a Pacer and it seems it'd really give him peace of heart as well if he were able to. He's actually being fairly productive for Phoenix all things considered, and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having that off our bench.

But yea, I don't think he's good enough to have his jersey retired, unless we do get him him, and he carries us to win.

No.

We've clearly set a very strict standard for retiring jerseys given that Reggie is the only NBA Pacer with a retired jersey. Smits, Jackson, and D. Davis were far more popular figures than J.O. ever was. I realize JO's six all-star appearances dwarf the combined two that those three had here (1 each for Smits and Davis), but those three guys were vital cogs on teams that went on deep playoff runs and even made the NBA Finals. We really only had one great season with JO, 03-04. We were eliminated in the first round four times (01, 02, 03, 06) and missed the playoffs twice (07, 08). We did make it to the second round in 05, but that year was obviously marred by the brawl. Plus it was Reggie and Stephen Jackson who were really carrying that team down the stretch. JO was hurt in early March and didn't come back until the very end of the season. The Dale Davis addition helped a lot too.

JO was a very good player, but he didn't do enough to warrant having his uni hang with Reggie and the ABA greats, IMHO.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-29-2012 at 01:45 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I don't know about retiring his jersey #, but I don't see why it would be too unreasonable to allow him to sign a one day contract and retire as a Pacer when he eventually calls it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I don't know about retiring his jersey #, but I don't see why it would be too unreasonable to allow him to sign a one day contract and retire as a Pacer when he eventually calls it quits.

How often does that even happen in the NBA? Seems like its more of an NFL thing, if I'm not mistaken.

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    No.

We've clearly set a very strict standard for retiring jerseys given that Reggie is the only NBA Pacer with a retired jersey. Smits, Jackson, and D. Davis were far more popular figures than J.O. ever was. I realize JO's six all-star appearances dwarf the combined two that those three had here (1 each for Smits and Davis), but those three guys were vital cogs on teams that went on deep playoff runs and even made the NBA Finals. We really only had one great season with JO, 03-04. We were eliminated in the first round four times (01, 02, 03, 06) and missed the playoffs twice (07, 08). We did make it to the second round in 05, but that year was obviously marred by the brawl. Plus it was Reggie and Stephen Jackson who were really carrying that team down the stretch. JO was hurt in early March and didn't come back until the very end of the season. The Dale Davis addition helped a lot too.

JO was a very good player, but he didn't do enough to warrant having his uni hang with Reggie and the ABA greats, IMHO.
    I know this is the answer, but that 3rd in MVP voting year and the fact that he was the most popular athlete in the state for awhile makes me think.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

J7F

I know this is the answer, but that 3rd in MVP voting year and the fact that he was the most popular athlete in the state for awhile makes me think.
    Not to split hairs, but I don't think he was ever the most popular athlete in the state. The year he finished third in MVP voting (03-04) was also the year that the Colts took a giant leap forward by winning their first playoff games of the Manning era, eventually losing to the Pats in the AFC Title game. Manning was co-MVP that year with McNair. By that point, Manning was in his sixth season in the NFL and had firmly established himself as one of the game's greats, not to mention the fact that he was marketing gold. I don't think there was ever a point where JO was more popular than Manning. JO's tenure here coincided with the golden Manning years.

EDIT: I will say that in 03-04, JO was definitely on track to having a career here that would warrant a jersey retirement. But everything unfortunately went drastically downhill after that season.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-29-2012 at 01:59 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I would suspect that the casual fan thinks mainly of the brawl and all the other crap from that Pacer era, not what they did on the court. That team, lead by JO, drove the casual fan off the cliff. I'm not so sure you really want that staring down from above.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Very true Sollozzo, I believe at JO's peak Peyton was like the most popular athlete on TV. Still, Jerm was a face in Indy on and off the court. He did a lot for this city while here.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

He asked to be traded. Now I am eternally gratefull to him for asking but at the end of the day Reggie Miller stayed through a rebuilding process at a far later stage of his career than J.O. did. He didn't want to have the hassle of rebuilding here. So that, among many other reasons IMO, means you don't get to retire a Pacer

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I feel like he should come, retire as a Pacer and hang his jersey in the rafters. He was not as blessed of having a good team in his prime and we wore him down and asked him to do everything.

He does seem genuine though when he talks about his fondness of the Pacers and Indy. I don't doubt that he has a special place in his heart for the city and organization.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    I feel like he should come, retire as a Pacer and hang his jersey in the rafters. He was not as blessed of having a good team in his prime and we wore him down and asked him to do everything.
    Uh, he made himself do that. Do you not remember when Rick spent the offseason talking about a new offense that wasn't going to be so JO-heavy, and then after 9 games JO had a fit and cried to get the old offense back?

People used to criticize Rick for his bland offense, when JO was demanding it and acting like a spoiled brat when he didn't get his way.

How many times did we hear "I'm gonna dominate" from him? He demanded it of himself, and made sure everyone around him knew it.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

As long as Bird was in the FO, JO was never ever going to be a Pacer again. With Walsh in charge, it might happen. If JO could play next year in a Pacers uni as well as he has for the Suns for the money he's being paid, I'd have no problem with him returning to the Pacers as a productive player.

As far as his jersey being retired, I could care less one way or the other.

Next stop June 2015

I would like to see JO come back to Indy. He did work very hard while a Pacer and his body failed him. He did not fail the Pacers IMO.

39. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I can imagine us being interested in him if/once he gets bought out (in March). A healthy JO certainly could help us in the playoffs.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel