99. You may not vote on this poll
  • David West

22 22.22%
  • Paul George

77 77.78%
  • George Hill

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: which Pacer will be on the all star team?

Default which Pacer will be on the all star team?

Here is the thread to discuss which Pacer has the best chance at the all star team, The main three with a chance are Paul George, David West, and George Hill (highly unlikely but you never know)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: which Pacer will be on the all star team?

I am saying none.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am saying none.
    if we stay at the 4-6 seed int he Eastern conference one of our players has to go

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

50/50 between West and nobody. I think West's rep with coaches around the conference will get him some votes, and obviously his play, don't know if it'll be enough.

I am going to say nobody since I don't want to inflate David West value this off season.

I think Hibbert has a better chance than Hill.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

J7F

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    if we stay at the 4-6 seed int he Eastern conference one of our players has to go
    That doesn't have to be true. A Pacers best chance is for an injury to one of the members of the All Star team and they get named to take his place. I haven't seen one poll that has a Pacer in the game. ... West is unlikely because they are just voting for big people not centers, PFs and SF. PG has no chance of being named as a SF where he has played all season, there are just too many good people ahead of him. At SG, it might be more likely but that is not where he has been playing..... ... I note that RGIII was named to the pro bowl but Luck was not. However, Luck will likely be added because one of the named QBs (Manning, Brady, Schaub) will be in the Super Bowl. A Pacer may be named if their is an injury to a starter but I don't really think any of them deserve to be an all star..... ...

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What spots are open?

You've got to think at least the following are locks:

Rajon Rondo
    Dwyane Wade
    LeBron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Tyson Chandler
    Chris Bosh
    Paul Pierce
    Joakim Noah
    Kyrie Irving
    Josh Smith
    Jrue Holiday

So that's 11 virtual locks. 7 of them frontcourt and 4 backcourt. If Anderson Verajao is healthy I'd think he would get the last spot off of numbers alone.

David West has certainly has the best case for the Pacers but the frontcourt guys in the East make it tough for him to crack the roster. Especially when you consider guys like Al Horford, Greg Monroe, and Kevin Garnett haven't even been included above.

If Verajao stays injured, I'd say Horford deserves the final spot though I could see Garnett getting it mainly due to reputation among the coaches.

They could also opt for another guard which could possibly open a spot for George or Hill. Though, despite their down years, I couldn't see either of them getting a spot over Deron Williams or Joe Johnson.

Basically I don't see any way a Pacer makes the All-Star team unless somebody is blantantly snubbed to reward the team rather than an individual.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Yea, I really don't think we'll get an all star unless a couple guys get injury replaced.

None of them will be.

I think Paul George is playing at an All-Star level, so I voted for him. However, I don't think a single Pacer we'll be there this year.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure any Pacer will make it, but for the record, PG's numbers are superior to Joe Johnson's across the board. At this point, it would be nearly impossible to suggest Joe Johnson is the better player between the two.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well I put all my thoughts on this subject in the "When will PG become a star" thread. I don't think Rondo or Irving are locks. I understand Rondo's history, but his team is headed down and I don't know if his assists are enough to cover that. Irving is young and dynamic, but the Cavs aren't winning enough and definitely wouldn't put two guys on the squad.

To me what happens is that when it comes to AS time many Pacers fans focus on A) fan vote rankings and B) the star power from other teams. What gets forgotten is that the bench isn't chosen by fans, and that with their wins the Pacers do have some status within the ranks of other teams (coaches, scouts, GMs). And those people in turn recognize HOW the Pacers are winning just like Pacers fans think about how Irving helps CLE or Rondo helps BOS.

You get complacent in seeing what West or Paul do every night, and get amazed by what good players on other teams (or Sportscenter) do in their 10 seconds of highlights.

Even now we have some (not all) posters around the forum (not really in this thread yet, too new and short) that talk up the star power of DWill or Johnson or Irving or Rondo, but forget what stuff like Paul's near monster tomahawk posterization look like to non-Pacers fans. He's had a nice run of very spectacular plays, as well as monster defense and outstanding 3pt shooting. What he is doing since Oakland is what a superstar looks like, period. There isn't really another level other than super-elite HOF stuff like Lebron and Kobe.

And West's offense has been similar. Classic all-star unstoppable scoring machine in the post.

Right now there are Celtics fans that would trade the aging Pierce to get Paul, even with PP scoring better at the moment. They see where things are headed and what PG has become. And I think it's safe to say that a ton of Nets fans would love to swap out Johnson for PG at this point.

We see all the the warts with our own guys and often overlook the same warts on star players from other teams. I'm not saying that the Pacer stars are clearly better and without fault, and I realize that there is another subsection of Pacers fans that overrate the team. I'm just saying that from the inside looking out it's sometimes tough to make a level evaluation.

Anyway, I voted Paul over West just because of the level PG has hit and my belief that he's likely to continue it. I hate to see West not get a spot, but the team needs to be winning more than this to help the cause for pulling 2 guys to the game.

Think about this though - IF IF IF PG24 were to make the AS team, then you'd have 4 players on the roster that had been AS since the 08-09 season. And it's not like the old man of the group is way off that pace since he's one of the 2 guys with the best shot to make it this year. Heck, if Hibbert were making short shots he'd be a shoe-in for this year's team given his insane defensive level.

Hellava starting 5. Really impressive.

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    That doesn't have to be true. A Pacers best chance is for an injury to one of the members of the All Star team and they get named to take his place. I haven't seen one poll that has a Pacer in the game. ... West is unlikely because they are just voting for big people not centers, PFs and SF. PG has no chance of being named as a SF where he has played all season, there are just too many good people ahead of him. At SG, it might be more likely but that is not where he has been playing..... ... I note that RGIII was named to the pro bowl but Luck was not. However, Luck will likely be added because one of the named QBs (Manning, Brady, Schaub) will be in the Super Bowl. A Pacer may be named if their is an injury to a starter but I don't really think any of them deserve to be an all star..... ...
    You keep on saying this, but it isn't true. Last year there were 5 SFs in the game. Paul's got a good case for being the 4th best SF in the East this year, so it's possible he could make it at SF.

If things stay the same and we end up with a 4-5 seed at the break I think we'll get 1. IMO, as of now, Paul's got a better chance than West due to the glut of big men worthy of making the team this year, and not many wings. Paul's got a good case for being the 5th best wing right now, and if he continues playing like he has his numbers will only get better. There's still a long way to go, but I've already put my neck out there... I think Paul makes it.

edit: and there's no way Irving and Verajao make it. One will be snubbed, my guess is Anderson.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    You keep on saying this, but it isn't true. Last year there were 5 SFs in the game. Paul's got a good case for being the 4th best SF in the East this year, so it's possible he could make it at SF.

If things stay the same and we end up with a 4-5 seed at the break I think we'll get 1. IMO, as of now, Paul's got a better chance than West due to the glut of big men worthy of making the team this year, and not many wings. Paul's got a good case for being the 5th best wing right now, and if he continues playing like he has his numbers will only get better. There's still a long way to go, but I've already put my neck out there... I think Paul make

edit: and there's no way Irving and Verajao make it. One will be snubbed, my guess is Anderson.
    Verajao certainly deserves to make it and I think he will. I don't believe that PG gets in and I have seen no articles or suggestions by writers or experts that suggest he will. I still think his only chance is to be named as an injury replacement. ...

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Paul's time will come, but not yet. IMO, no Pacer will be an all-star this year.

West and Paul are close, but there is just too much competition. Mello, Bron and Pierce keep Paul out. West may be closer, but Bosh and Garnett will get more votes. Boozer may even get more votes. Big markets baby.
    LeWade are going down.

IMO, there are 8 locks: Rondo, Wade, LeBron, Melo, Chandler, Bosh, Pierce, and Noah.

There's no way 2 Cavs make it, and if one does it'll be Varejao. Irving was out about 3 to 4 weeks. Plus there record is awful, and coaches don't like to vote in all-stars from bad teams.

I think Smith is a pseudo-lock. Atlanta's been a surprise, and Smith's been snubbed a couple of times, so I think he'll make it.

Holiday has a good chance as well.

But you know what you can do, Pacer fans. Stuff the ballot box for Chris Bosh. Right now, Kevin Garnett is 3rd in the frontcourt voting. And he's taking someone's spot if he gets voted in (the Celtics won't get 3 all-stars). And that spot could be Paul George's or David West's. But Bosh is close enough that a last minute push could get him in the starting lineup.

I do think a Pacer will make it. I think it'll be Paul George, mainly because of position.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Well I put all my thoughts on this subject in the "When will PG become a star" thread. I don't think Rondo or Irving are locks. I understand Rondo's history, but his team is headed down and I don't know if his assists are enough to cover that. Irving is young and dynamic, but the Cavs aren't winning enough and definitely wouldn't put two guys on the squad.

To me what happens is that when it comes to AS time many Pacers fans focus on A) fan vote rankings and B) the star power from other teams. What gets forgotten is that the bench isn't chosen by fans, and that with their wins the Pacers do have some status within the ranks of other teams (coaches, scouts, GMs). And those people in turn recognize HOW the Pacers are winning just like Pacers fans think about how Irving helps CLE or Rondo helps BOS.

You get complacent in seeing what West or Paul do every night, and get amazed by what good players on other teams (or Sportscenter) do in their 10 seconds of highlights.

Even now we have some (not all) posters around the forum (not really in this thread yet, too new and short) that talk up the star power of DWill or Johnson or Irving or Rondo, but forget what stuff like Paul's near monster tomahawk posterization look like to non-Pacers fans. He's had a nice run of very spectacular plays, as well as monster defense and outstanding 3pt shooting. What he is doing since Oakland is what a superstar looks like, period. There isn't really another level other than super-elite HOF stuff like Lebron and Kobe.

And West's offense has been similar. Classic all-star unstoppable scoring machine in the post.

Right now there are Celtics fans that would trade the aging Pierce to get Paul, even with PP scoring better at the moment. They see where things are headed and what PG has become. And I think it's safe to say that a ton of Nets fans would love to swap out Johnson for PG at this point.

We see all the the warts with our own guys and often overlook the same warts on star players from other teams. I'm not saying that the Pacer stars are clearly better and without fault, and I realize that there is another subsection of Pacers fans that overrate the team. I'm just saying that from the inside looking out it's sometimes tough to make a level evaluation.

Anyway, I voted Paul over West just because of the level PG has hit and my belief that he's likely to continue it. I hate to see West not get a spot, but the team needs to be winning more than this to help the cause for pulling 2 guys to the game.

Think about this though - IF IF IF PG24 were to make the AS team, then you'd have 4 players on the roster that had been AS since the 08-09 season. And it's not like the old man of the group is way off that pace since he's one of the 2 guys with the best shot to make it this year. Heck, if Hibbert were making short shots he'd be a shoe-in for this year's team given his insane defensive level.

Hellava starting 5. Really impressive.
    Dallas has one hall of famer and like 5 former all stars plus one future all star in Mayo, does anybody see them winning a championship this year? of course not, the goal is to have all stars hitting their prime together, no the fake prime you always talk about but the true prime, what you are saying sounds nice and all but that doesn't make a team a championship contender.

Sports Logo

That doesn't have to be true. A Pacers best chance is for an injury to one of the members of the All Star team and they get named to take his place. I haven't seen one poll that has a Pacer in the game. ... West is unlikely because they are just voting for big people not centers, PFs and SF. PG has no chance of being named as a SF where he has played all season, there are just too many good people ahead of him. At SG, it might be more likely but that is not where he has been playing.....
    The voting process is only for the starters. The fans vote who they want to start based on their own criteria (team affiliation, hype, marketability, reputation and even ethnicity sometimes). You will rarely see a player from a small market team in this voting unless he is hyped as a superstar.

However, there are also the reserves. Those are named by the coaches and with them it's not a popularity contest. Team performance along with individual performance are the key aspects in order to be voted in by the coaches. That's where someone from our Pacers was voted last year and could be voted again this year.

I don't think that we'll have an All-Star this year, though. I don't think the stats are good enough to back that up. Maybe West has a chance but I don't really see it.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Dallas has one hall of famer and like 5 former all stars plus one future all star in Mayo, does anybody see them winning a championship this year? of course not, the goal is to have all stars hitting their prime together, no the fake prime you always talk about but the true prime, what you are saying sounds nice and all but that doesn't make a team a championship contender.
    And when Dallas won the championship they had 4 "former" all-stars (Kidd, Butler, Peja, and Marion). Terry was 33 and Dirk was 32, both older than any of our starters currently. Was that "fake prime?" What about all the other championship teams of the past decade with starters well in their 30's. Don't underestimate the value of experience and vetern leadership. I've never understood why you are absolutely obsessed with the age of our roster when history proves otherwise.
    Last edited by purdue101; 12-27-2012 at 09:37 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purdue101 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    And when Dallas won the championship they had 4 "former" all-stars (Kidd, Butler, Peja, and Marion). Terry was 33 and Dirk was 32, both older than any of our starters currently. Was that "fake prime?" What about all the other championship teams of the past decade with starters well in their 30's. Don't underestimate the value of experience and vetern leadership. I've never understood why you are absolutely obsessed with the age of our roster when history proves otherwise.
    Dirk and Kidd are hall of famers big difference, not only that but that roster was deep because Cuban didn't care to spend as much as he could to win a championship.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-27-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    We see all the the warts with our own guys and often overlook the same warts on star players from other teams.
    AMEN to that

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Verajao certainly deserves to make it and I think he will.
    So Irving is left out? One of the two has to be left out because there's no way that a 7 - 23 team is going to have 2 All Stars. Even if those players deserve it.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

The factor here is the standings combined with their statistical performance. If just before the all-star break the Pacers are within the 3-5 spots and either one of them ended with some good stats, then chances are we will get at least 1 chosen by coaches. If not then most likely stats will cover for other players to make instead of PG or West, like Varejao for example.

But I hope PG will make it somehow. I think it will be a confidence booster for him to do better and an affirmation on his side that he is doing the right things. His early struggles combined, he's putting up great all-around numbers and the fact that he has led many of the Pacers wins should be a great consideration.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    West and Paul are close, but there is just too much competition. Mello, Bron and Pierce keep Paul out. West may be closer, but Bosh and Garnett will get more votes. Boozer may even get more votes. Big markets baby.
    Votes only matter for starters.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014