Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kravitz just said something that really bothers me

Default Kravitz just said something that really bothers me

Bob Kravitz was on Channel 13 in Indianapolis at 6:20 tonight commenting on
    the whole Pacers thing.

Of course Ron Artest's name came up and Kravitz repeated that he wishes that Artest was traded long ago as he suggested. No big deal, but then he said something that really made me angry.

Paraphrasing, Kravitz said that Artest is giving his teammates who are good fathers, good husbands and good people in the community a bad name.

I took that to mean that Kravitz does not think Artest is a good father a good husband or good in the community. How in the heck does he know. How does he know who is a good father or who is a good husband.

It goes back to something that really bothers me, Artest acts up so that makes him a bad family man or a menace to the city of Indianapolis. Someone does saomething wrong or "bad" and that makes them just a terrible person. I don't buy that for one minute. The said part is Kravitz likely has no idea what he said. Artest might be the best father on the whole team, I don't have the slightest idea.

Kravitz should just stick to what he knows.

Default Re: Kravitz just said something that really bothers me

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Then he wouldn't be writing!

I read everything on the Pacer's, but I quit reading him long ago.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

When does Kravitz NOT say something that bothers you?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Man, I'm relieved. I thought he was referring to how bad it made me look.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Bob Kravitz was on Channel 13 in Indianapolis at 6:20 tonight commenting on
    the whole Pacers thing.

Of course Ron Artest's name came up and Kravitz repeated that he wishes that Artest was traded long ago as he suggested. No big deal, but then he said something that really made me angry.

Paraphrasing, Kravitz said that Artest is giving his teammates who are good fathers, good husbands and good people in the community a bad name.

I took that to mean that Kravitz does not think Artest is a good father a good husband or good in the community. How in the heck does he know. How does he know who is a good father or who is a good husband.

It goes back to something that really bothers me, Artest acts up so that makes him a bad family man or a menace to the city of Indianapolis. Someone does saomething wrong or "bad" and that makes them just a terrible person. I don't buy that for one minute. The said part is Kravitz likely has no idea what he said. Artest might be the best father on the whole team, I don't have the slightest idea.

I was also pretty angry over that comment also

It's pretty clear Kravitz goes outta his way to bash Ron any chance he get's , He better hope Ron stays cause I don't see Kravitz having much to write about if Artest leaves. When Ron does something good you never hear a peep out Kravitz. But when Ron does something bad it's like chicken little screaming "the sky is falling"

Where are the articles when the Pacers do good Kravitz ? What About Austin Croshere's Thanksgiving Meal article ? I mean I think we should fire Kravitz as he has always been down on the Colts and Pacers ever since being with the Star.

Kravitz sounds like typical media. He probably applies everyday for a job at Fox.

UB,
    I didn't take the statement as you did. I agree with Btown's assessment.

As for Kravitz' negativity... I just look at it as balance. If it wasn't for Kravitz almost ALL we would hear is the Pacer PR spin machine regurgitated as news.

-Bball

A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, but I just don't like Kravitz overall. And yes, I feel even more strongly against him after the whole Pistons debacle. We only have so many voices out there to defend the Pacers, which in turn defends the city.

What do we get... "The suspensions are fair."

Hooey.

Although I can agree and appreciate that just hearing one Pacer PR article after another is nauseating, this is a case where he had an opportunity to give a voice for the Pacers. Not having JO, Jax, and Artest hurts the Pacers. The Pacers not doing well is not good for the city. Less people go downtown to buy tickets, food, etc.

We got "The suspensions are fair."

I darn near cancelled my Star subscription over it.

And the way he just beats on Artest gets old after awhile. Play a new song Bob for crying out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    I don't think Kravitz meant it quite how you interpreted it. I think he just meant that Artest's antics give the team and franchise a bad name, no matter how good of people they are. I can't really disagree with that interpretation, but I'm just guessing.
    I agree with that interpretation.

As an Indiana fan who lives elsewhere and has to deal with non-Indiana fans all of the time, I can't tell you how often I've heard the opinion that, since so many Indiana players were involved, that the entire Indiana team is a bunch of "thugs" (I HATE that word, personally) and they are all somehow bad people.

I get tired of defending the whole team, and have long before this incident given up defending Ron for his on-court behavior, so now I just try to draw a distinction between our tempermental 2-year-old and the rest of the players.

Nerd.
    Mood

Does Kravitz answer email? Does he have any email address? I have a question for him.

I am not ashamed of the Indiana Pacers as a group or individually. Some of the young guys do need to better learn the ways of the world, but I think we have a good group of guys and what others think doesn't matter.

What is important now is that when these guys get back together as a team, they need to go on a mission making the team more important than individual success. I think there is a chance that will happen. The best way to get the last laugh is to win and win with class. I think we can and will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    I am not ashamed of the Indiana Pacers as a group or individually. Some of the young guys do need to better learn the ways of the world, but I think we have a good group of guys and what others think doesn't matter.

What is important now is that when these guys get back together as a team, they need to go on a mission making the team more important than individual success. I think there is a chance that will happen. The best way to get the last laugh is to win and win with class. I think we can and will do that.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by brichard
    A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, but I just don't like Kravitz overall. And yes, I feel even more strongly against him after the whole Pistons debacle. We only have so many voices out there to defend the Pacers, which in turn defends the city.

What do we get... "The suspensions are fair."

Hooey.

Although I can agree and appreciate that just hearing one Pacer PR article after another is nauseating, this is a case where he had an opportunity to give a voice for the Pacers. Not having JO, Jax, and Artest hurts the Pacers. The Pacers not doing well is not good for the city. Less people go downtown to buy tickets, food, etc.

We got "The suspensions are fair."

I darn near cancelled my Star subscription over it.

And the way he just beats on Artest gets old after awhile. Play a new song Bob for crying out loud.
    Just to be fair to Bob for a min. the actual editorial board of the star pretty much scorched the Pacers management for the entire episode & also came down on the side of the commisioner on this.

Which goes back to what I was saying in that other thread, around the U.S. (yes Able I'm excluding Europe) Stern is not seen as a tyranical menace that Pacers fans see him as. He is seen as a hero who stuck up for the common man. I'm not saying they are right, I'm just saying that is the way it is. Pacers fans hate this, the general public supported this. Even is the suspension are overturned,reduced or whatever Stern comes off looking good. He looks like an aggresive go getter, except to Pacers fans who (well as you can see) think he's Hitler.

Bob is what Bob is, a bomb thrower. He's not a Pacers fan one way or another he just rights things that he thinks will get the fans talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Just to be fair to Bob for a min. the actual editorial board of the star pretty much scorched the Pacers management for the entire episode & also came down on the side of the commisioner on this.

Which goes back to what I was saying in that other thread, around the U.S. (yes Able I'm excluding Europe) Stern is not seen as a tyranical menace that Pacers fans see him as. He is seen as a hero who stuck up for the common man. I'm not saying they are right, I'm just saying that is the way it is. Pacers fans hate this, the general public supported this. Even is the suspension are overturned,reduced or whatever Stern comes off looking good. He looks like an aggresive go getter, except to Pacers fans who (well as you can see) think he's Hitler.
    Peck I pretty much agree with you BUT I think that Stern steered that opinion with the way the NBA handled the situation. He pretty much framed it as a failing of the Pacers and used the easy scapegoat of Ron Artest. And, if the reports are true, the NBA dictated to ESPN how this should be portrayed (which was vilifying the Pacers).

His Sunday press conference was all about negating mitigating circumstances and letting the fans off the hook. IOW: He made the Pacers the bogeyman and then setout to knock him down.

Subsequent news and reporting showed that to be a success.

I wish I could've heard today's press conference because from what I gather here the prosecutor allowed the blame to be shared between fans and players and clearly stated nothing happens without what the fans did. That is what I hoped Stern would do in the first place.

-Bball

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I wish I could've heard today's press conference because from what I gather here the prosecutor allowed the blame to be shared between fans and players and clearly stated nothing happens without what the fans did. That is what I hoped Stern would do in the first place.

-Bball
    I hope David Stern felt he had to make an immediate tough response and that he could correct injustices later.

Like you, I'm not saying the Pacers and Ron didn't share responsibility for what happened, but any viewing of what actually happened shows the Pistons fans and players also share much of the blame.

It was just a terribly mucked up deal, as the prosecutor said today, with each fan misbehavior accelerating into a new incident.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    I hope David Stern felt he had to make an immediate tough response and that he could correct injustices later.

Like you, I'm not saying the Pacers and Ron didn't share responsibility for what happened, but any viewing of what actually happened shows the Pistons fans and players also share much of the blame.

It was just a terribly mucked up deal, as the prosecutor said today, with each fan misbehavior accelerating into a new incident.
    I think there is some truth to what you are saying. That's why I've said all along that if the suspensions get reduced Stern will still come out looking like he did the right thing to the general public.

Now U.B. has forwarded the theory that Stern wants Ron out of the N.B.A. & there also may be some truth to that, I'm not saying there is but it is in the realm of possibities.

Either way I like your idea of winning with class, that is the best thing that could ever come out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Peck I pretty much agree with you BUT I think that Stern steered that opinion with the way the NBA handled the situation. He pretty much framed it as a failing of the Pacers and used the easy scapegoat of Ron Artest. And, if the reports are true, the NBA dictated to ESPN how this should be portrayed (which was vilifying the Pacers).

His Sunday press conference was all about negating mitigating circumstances and letting the fans off the hook. IOW: He made the Pacers the bogeyman and then setout to knock him down.

Subsequent news and reporting showed that to be a success.

-Bball
    I'm not sure that I agree that Stern steered the P.R. on this. ESPN he obviously did, however by that night & all weekend long the actual news channels (all of them) were putting this in the 24hr run on news & the general concensus & I mean almost universal on this was this was all the players.

This is why I've always felt Stern came down so fast & so hard. He could care less what P.T.I. or T.B.D.S.S.P has to say but when the N.Y. Times hits on it & CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, Fox, etc. start talking that hits him where it counts. The wallet.

Remember he wasn't concerned so much with what Joe Q. Fan wanted (he did consider it but it wasn't the # 1 factor) he cared deeply about every advertizer & sponsor of the NBA thought. Remember even here in Indiana where our team has always had a local sterling reputation they had two large corperate sponsers threaten to leave the team over this episode. Stern may have been looking at something much larger than that if he didn't pull the trigger & fast.

So he acted, is hailed as a hero & then quietly behind the scenes you will see a couple of the suspensions lowered & he won't make a fuss. Remember he put the death sentance on Min. a few years ago with the draft picks then quietly while nobody really cared anymore he gave them back some of their picks.

Please define "winning with class" What does that mean.

Hitting threes and glaring at the opponents bench. Hitting threes and getting into with the courtside fans. Hitting threes and grabbing your crotch. Beating your archrivals and screaming "chokers".

Reggie did all those things in games the Pacers won. So is that winning with class.

Please explain.

My point is before we suggest the Pacers need to go back and win with class "like they used to" lets remember the way it was.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

[So he acted, is hailed as a hero & then quietly behind the scenes you will see a couple of the suspensions lowered & he won't make a fuss. Remember he put the death sentance on Min. a few years ago with the draft picks then quietly while nobody really cared anymore he gave them back some of their picks.

and so is he going to quietly give us back some of our games we would have won? Perhaps in a few months we'll be talking about "Reggies 4-point play" ? or perhaps the Harrison Rules? Quietly lifting suspensions and givng the players back their money is nice but it is STILL the Pacer fans who are paying the lasting penalties here.

Sports Logo

Geez yes he eased up latter but he still hurt them bad for more than a year.

UB I agree screw this winning with class. When the guys get back I want them to win. Not just win it and let the clock run out. I want them to destroy other teams, I want them to run up the score on everyone. I want Jermaine to flex his muscles every time he blocks a shot. I want Ronnie to scowl into the crowd every time he steals the ball.

Heck I am ready for Reggie to spit on a fan. (Detroit would be where I would want him to do this, just not on Kstat)

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Does Kravitz answer email? Does he have any email address? I have a question for him.
    Yes he does. If memory serves me correctly not only does he usually not know what he's talking about he doesn't know how to capitalize, punctuate, or use spell check.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    We're, of course, better than Detroit fans if we supported that because...........?
    Exactly. Wanting Reggie to spit on a Pistons fan? Please.

A word on how Stern is seen around the league (at least as represented on message boards anyway).

I frequent a Piston board, this Pacer board, a Spurs board, and a Kings board and by far this Pacer board sees him the most negatively. The Spur board absolutely loves him, the King and Piston boards are mixed but lean to the positive about him side.

Cool Re: Kravitz just said something that really bothers me

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

Bob is what Bob is, a bomb thrower. He's not a Pacers fan one way or another he just rights things that he thinks will get the fans talking.
    Peck,

We have such different views on fan reaction. The reaction I heard the night of the incident was far and away in defense of Artest by the ESPN guys. Now, I'll admit that everybody jumped on the "Artest is a bad boy" train the next day at a national level.

However, I'd say 75% or greater of the sports call in shows etc. I've heard locally are upset about the suspensions. One would expect that Pacer fans would not be thrilled with the Draconian suspensions b/c even if they thought the suspensions were fair. Let's face it, agree with them or not, it greatly diminsihes your teams ability to win.

Normally, I'm not sure if I care what Kravitz writes. He has a job to do, an opinion to voice, and as a journalist he has the write to express himself. But in this case, I'm of the opinion that he also needs to defend the city.

I think we can all agree that the National Media has not done a good job of showing any balance in viewing the suspensions. Everything has been "pro-suspension" and very little of the other side has been shown. (past suspensions, how fan involvement affects these suspensions etc.) Now, who has any motive to balance out things a bit? Ah, our local sportswriters, they have an opportunity to balance the scales. I mean after all, their salaries are essentially paid by the local folks who buy their paper. Some of those buyers (ie brichard) are Pacer fans!

But... they don't. And when you have a local sports guy applauding the suspensions, it certainly doesn't do anything to help us out in the court of public opinion.

I know Bob isn't a Pacer fan and I don't care if he is. However, he is an Indianapolis journalist and he certainly hasn't done the Pacers or fans (who buy the paper) any favors with his one-sided support of the suspensions.

Honestly, I don't care if people love, hate, or are indifferent to Stern as a person. I just want them to be able to see that the suspensions for this one isolated incident were absurd. I find it interesting that fans of other teams even have an opinion of Stern. Of course other fans will have a slightly different view as their team hasn't been ruined by suspensions. I also don't think he has cast their state in a negative light as he has with Indiana and the Ryan White comments.

I can tell you this, I love the NFL and I can't even tell you who the NFL commisioner is. And before the Pacers incident, I was pretty indifferent to Stern. He's just a suit, and he'll be replaced by a similar suit when he is finished. At least, that is just my opinion...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Exactly. Wanting Reggie to spit on a Pistons fan? Please.
    Turn your sarcasm detector back on Hicks.

I take it you dont remember Reggie spitting on a fan.