Thread: Smart, bizarre play in the Green Bay-Tennessee game

Default Smart, bizarre play in the Green Bay-Tennessee game

Randall Cobb took advantage of a little-known rule to get the Packers terrific field position at the start of the third quarter Sunday. Tennesseeís Rob Bironas kicked off to Cobb, who waited for the ball near his own end zone.

The kickoff landed shy of the Green Bay goal line and rolled nearly to a stop at about the 4. Rather than pick up the ball and return it, Cobb put one foot on the sideline and fielded it ó meaning that the kickoff, technically, had landed out of bounds, which led to a penalty against the Titans and gave Green Bay possession on its own 40.

The NFLís rule regarding that play is the same as on a fumble: If any part of a playerís body is out of bounds when he makes contact with the football, the ball is considered out of bounds as well.

To his credit, CBS color commentator Dan Dierdorf was all over the bizarre ruling and immediately began praising Cobb for his quick thinking.
    http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/23/randall.../?sct=obinsite

gif of the play:

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: Smart, bizarre play in the Green Bay-Tennessee game

This rule makes no sense at all.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Did he actually know about the rule and realize he was standing out of bounds? Or if he did realize he was standing out of bounds did he realize what that meant as far as the rules go? It doesn't look that intentional on first glance...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This rule makes no sense at all.
    Makes sense on a fumble recovery but no sense on a kickoff when there is a penalty for the ball being out of bounds.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he actually know about the rule and realize he was standing out of bounds? Or if he did realize he was standing out of bounds did he realize what that meant as far as the rules go? It doesn't look that intentional on first glance...
    Look how he sticks his right foot way way out to make sure there's no mistaking it's far out of bounds, and then how he casually flips the ball to the ref. Suggests that he knew exactly what he was doing.

Maybe the Titans kicker has a habit of kicking outside the hash marks and he was coached up on this, but it is still impressive.

I'm guessing that the rule calling for a kickoff out-of-bounds penalty came later and they didn't think to change the definition of an out-of-bounds football.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He definitely knew what he was doing. Look at the way he looks at his foot to make sure it's out of bounds before he touches it. I guarantee every kicker in the league knows that rule now...

This reminds me of a play in the Patriots-Rams Super Bowl, Patriots went up 14-3, with less than a minute to go in the first half.

Marshall Faulk was used as a kickoff returner and Vinatieri's kickoff was near the sidelines. Faulk tried to field it and tiptoe the sidelines to stay in-bounds, but stepped out AFTER fielding it, inside the 10.

At the time I think the analysis was that if Faulk had been the regular kickoff return guy (he wasn't), he might have chosen to let it bounce and go out-of-bounds, perhaps giving his team the ball at the 40. In actuality, maybe all he had to do was step out of bounds and field the ball. That could have made a huge difference.

found the play-by-play; Faulk ran out-of-bounds at the 6 with 31 seconds left.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...bowl-xxxvi.htm

I would not have liked to have seen Kurt Warner at the 40, with 31 seconds and one timeout.