Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Game tonight CANCELLED

In the end, it was the right call.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think anyone disputes it was the right call, I think the problem everyone has is regarding how long the league office dilly-dallyed to make the decision and waiting until people were already downtown.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've just never seen the city react like this in my admittedly short life time compared to some. This doesn't seem any worse than most snow storms we've had. And the whole city basically shut down. The entire Clay Terrace shopping center in Carmel shut down and the roads weren't even that bad here. Just seemed weird. I wonder if the city thought it was going to be worse or something.
    I think part of the issue was that it was the first snowfall of the year, so it got more attention. If we'd had a few 5"-6" snowfalls before this, the news wouldn't have hyped it up so much.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    I think part of the issue was that it was the first snowfall of the year, so it got more attention. If we'd had a few 5"-6" snowfalls before this, the news wouldn't have hyped it up so much.
    Well, considering we had 10" or more out here, I think it still would have gotten a little play.

I don't know about you but this still would have been a county closer when I was a kid. Between the blowing snow cutting off visibility and the fact the roads were about 10 times worse back then, this would easily have taken over every TV and radio station. "Not as bad as 1978" does not automatically mean "not bad at all" - '78 is a pretty high bar.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Well, considering we had 10" or more out here, I think it still would have gotten a little play.

I don't know about you but this still would have been a county closer when I was a kid. Between the blowing snow cutting off visibility and the fact the roads were about 10 times worse back then, this would easily have taken over every TV and radio station. "Not as bad as 1978" does not automatically mean "not bad at all" - '78 is a pretty high bar.
    I wish I was alive in 78 to know what it was like to be in such a blizzard. Personally I find having a blizzard that basically closes everything down relaxing. Not to the point where people lose power, but just so people have to go to work or do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I wish I was alive in 78 to know what it was like to be in such a blizzard. Personally I find having a blizzard that basically closes everything down relaxing. Not to the point where people lose power, but just so people have to go to work or do anything.
    As a kid I woulda loved it, now I have to make up my hours or use vacation. I HATE that. I wish I got the day off like a lot of other people here in the WMA do

This. Thank you X 1000

If something horrible happened after the game, should it have been played, I could just see a thread blowing up about how stupid the NBA and Pacers were to play it.

Sometimes its better to be safe then sorry.

EDIT: and like above poster said, DC is stupid about storms. But in 2010 I left work and it took me 45 minutes to get home (only 4 miles, normally takes 12-15 minutes). The guy after me left, usually takes him an hour to go home (roughly 20 miles) and it took him TWELVE hours to get home.

We have had massive freakout since then, and I hate them all. But bad things happened in 2010, and no one took that storm seriously

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I work from home, so unless there is a power outage I have to work no matter how bad things are.

Of course, it also means I really don't have to shovel snow until my wife has to go to work, which is a bit of a bonus
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This. Thank you X 1000

If something horrible happened after the game, should it have been played, I could just see a thread blowing up about how stupid the NBA and Pacers were to play it.

Sometimes its better to be safe then sorry.

EDIT: and like above poster said, DC is stupid about storms. But in 2010 I left work and it took me 45 minutes to get home (only 4 miles, normally takes 12-15 minutes). The guy after me left, usually takes him an hour to go home (roughly 20 miles) and it took him TWELVE hours to get home.

We have had massive freakout since then, and I hate them all. But bad things happened in 2010, and no one took that storm seriously
    The point being missed is that the ice storm 2 years ago was MUCH MUCH more dangerous than what we had WED. These are not even remotely comparable. As I said before, I chose to walk to the game and even the sidewalks had 1-2 inches of ice on them and it was very tricky just walking.

I realize in the outlying areas conditions varied, but they certainly weren't better when we got the ice and I can say firsthand that downtown on WED was 10 times better than it was by gametime of the ice storm.

This whole "yes but what if..." game can be played all the time. In Houston the traffic snarls weren't from snow but from rain. You'd get a good tropical storm and you couldn't get home. I punted just trying to get to the inner loop (couldn't get within a mile of it) and finally just turned around and went to a movie to wait a storm out one time, that's how bad it can get there. And yet "we aren't playing the game due to rain" doesn't exactly sound legit unless it's an actual hurricane or serious flooding (in the case mentioned neither was true). But god forbid someone gets in a rainy wreck after a game..."why did they risk it".

I did live through 78 and of course it's a high benchmark. But as UB points out, that's part of the problem. What they are trying to label as disaster now would have qualified as "finally some good weather" back then. No, I'm serious. Just having it be as slushy as it was. Just having cars able to be on the road. Those were signs that maybe it was finally over, not signs that the city was being crushed.

Heck, I drove my buddy up to Lafayette in 2002 in a white out/snow storm much worse than this and a few hours later the city was back to rolling along per usual.

IF the storm had rolled in around 3pm, then okay. For a few hours driving would be impossible. But in this case the storm was done and all the major roads were mostly clear. I spent the day at work and by the time I left it was hard to know what the hype was about. Heck, we had pizza delivered for lunch. But what if I or the pizza guy had been killed...would it all have been worth it?!? See, that hyperbole ends up sounding silly when its applied to a very low risk situation.

Again if they'd called the game at 10 AM that's one thing. At that point why risk it. But once the risk is over and the conditions have reached a point of certainty, and its clearn that all the major roads local to the arena (ie, inside 465, slightly outside of it) are fundamentally clear (certainly clearer than the ice game), why would you then cancel the game?

Living far enough out of the city that roads might not get cleared within a few hours of a major snowfall is part of the risk of living out there, just as there are the benefits you feel from being so far out (prop taxes, space per dollar, noise, crime). It's a trade-off. I don't think that's reason to cancel a game, especially when the team was willing to let people trade-in tickets for another game.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The point being missed is that the ice storm 2 years ago was MUCH MUCH more dangerous than what we had WED. These are not even remotely comparable. As I said before, I chose to walk to the game and even the sidewalks had 1-2 inches of ice on them and it was very tricky just walking.
    :
    :
    Living far enough out of the city that roads might not get cleared within a few hours of a major snowfall is part of the risk of living out there, just as there are the benefits you feel from being so far out (prop taxes, space per dollar, noise, crime). It's a trade-off. I don't think that's reason to cancel a game, especially when the team was willing to let people trade-in tickets for another game.
    City boys. Bah.

We drove in for the ice storm game, and it was bad but not as bad for me as the little bit of time I spent out in the blowing snow on Wednesday morning - for one thing, the car I had that was big enough to handle the ice driving would have been blown around like crazy by the winds Wednesday, never mind the visibility.

Of course, as often happens, by the time of the Pacer game the conditions weren't nearly as bad and the NBA was going on older information.

In any event, though, I think the mistake was in NOT canceling the ice storm game rather than in canceling Wednesday's game.
    BillS

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One has to consider the fact that the Bulls were already in town and had gone through a morning shootaround. We do realize they got the shaft more than anyone, including local fans?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to special ed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    NOVEL
    Look, I get the timing sucked. The [whoever] sucked in waiting so long to make an annoucement.

But sorry, I refuse to say it was a bad decision. If one accident happens after the game (when the roads freeze up) people here are outraged.

Sure you can play my what if game and say nothing bad would happen and you got your pizza fine, but we both know driving conditions/conditions in general both are diffrent for events like this for everyone. You have the perk of being in the city and close to Conseco. Just because you get home fine does not mean they should play a game with 10 fans IMO

FWIW, I am always surprised when the Pacers have played games in the past and the house had 10 peopel in it. Call me a girly man, but I would rather be safe then sorry

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by special ed View Post
    One has to consider the fact that the Bulls were already in town and had gone through a morning shootaround. We do realize they got the shaft more than anyone, including local fans?
    Eh, wouldn't say that. I'd bet this game will be rescheduled for the end of the regular season, meaning DRose will be back - I doubt that an extra day of rest for Deng and a chance to play the Pacers at full strength will count as "the shaft" when all is said and done.
    BillS

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

City boys. Bah.

We drove in for the ice storm game, and it was bad but not as bad for me as the little bit of time I spent out in the blowing snow on Wednesday morning - for one thing, the car I had that was big enough to handle the ice driving would have been blown around like crazy by the winds Wednesday, never mind the visibility.

Of course, as often happens, by the time of the Pacer game the conditions weren't nearly as bad and the NBA was going on older information.

In any event, though, I think the mistake was in NOT canceling the ice storm game rather than in canceling Wednesday's game.
    That and announcing it so late.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    The ice storm a couple years ago was worse. The snowstorm in 2007 or 08 that had about 5 inches on the ground by morning rush hour was way more brutal. The game didnt need to be canceled last night. I feel like this was a money decision.
    I agree and I'm pissed. I'm in town from LA to see my team and bought 12 tickets for family and friends. I definitely won't be around for the reschedule, and most of them won't either. We've got a much-reduced posse going to the Suns game tonight instead...but I had been looking forward to seeing a rivalry game in person with a large crew.

To make it worse, I had made about 75% of the drive when this was announced...from West Lafayette to Zionsville...and the roads were not bad AT ALL. Considering we left plenty early due to the weather, it would have been no problem to make it the rest of the way into downtown even if the conditions got way worse.

I think a lot of people were freaking out about this storm because it was all the skeleton crew news teams had to talk about the day after xmas, and many people were at home watching instead of being at work. My parents kept talking about the road conditions and all the accidents...they were glued to the "blizzard" coverage...too bad the news doesn't report the thousands of people who were travelling safely and know how to handle driving in a little snow.
    '

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Lurkster For This Useful Post:

The only mistake was waiting as long as they did to cancel it. Whether or not they should have cancelled it is a worthless debate, as it doesn't really matter all that much.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

As if I didn't need any more reasons to hate David Stern... It'd be nice if the league office would take the blame for the ball that THEY dropped in postponing the game 2.5 hours before the tip when the Pacers informed them of conditions 24 hours in advance... but nope, letting the Pacers take the heat from fans when it wasn't their fault that the idiots in New York dilly-dallied all day!

I can't wait until Stern is deposed.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

The ice storm 2 years ago in Feb was worse than this storm and everything was closed down... everything! The dog needed immediate veternarian attention. The vet made it to their clinic, and opened up the clinic for the emergency. I drove 15 miles of ice roads to get the dog to the clinic. It was far worse than this blizzard was.

I've gone to county sectionals out in the boondocks on 2 lane highways in far worse storms than this, and the games weren't cancelled. BB in rural areas was community against community with pride and bragging rights on the line. Excitement was high with tensions at a peak. Snow storms be darned.

To be honest in today's society, we've gotten soft, and call things differently than what we use to. Back then you'd throw a blanket in the backseat, then put a couple buckets of ashes, a shovel, some burlap bags, cement blocks in the trunk plus a tow chain just in case and you would go anywhere anytime.

ITT: really old people