Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game tonight CANCELLED (Bulls)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Game tonight CANCELLED

Disappointing, but smart. Nobody should be out in this mess unless it's absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For all you people that went downtown and paid parking, it could be worse. You could be a Bulls fan.
    Fixed. The rest of your post just seemed unnecessary.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    What crap.. This game was in our favor due to scheduling and injuries. Do we still get that advantage with a reschedule.
    That's the first thing that I thought. Everything was in favor of the Pacers going into this game. Who knows how that will be when it's rescheduled.
    7-8" of snow is nothing. I comute 96 miles round trip everyday and have more snow to deal with then that on most days in the winter. Every year I drive in 3-4 snowstorms in excess of 2 feet, snowpack is just no big deal once you're used to it.

My father inlaw drives semi to transport hog feed. They sent everyone home today
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

billbradley

I'm shocked this game was canceled. I was really looking forward to this snow day match. It wasn't that bad out by 5.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I'm shocked this game was canceled. I was really looking forward to this snow day match. It wasn't that bad out by 5.
    I was surprised as well. I think the Bulls were already in town. I think they wanted everyone that was going to the game to not go because of the roads
    "We want Miami"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Try being TRAPPED in "your own home" with a half dozen visiting rug rats yelling and screaming all freaking day!!! The days of children should be seen and not heard is long past. GRRR!

Bah humbug, no Pacers game tonight to help relieve a stressful day.
    Haha yes you are right about this. Years ago I was relegated to the "kids table" during family holidays, which was in a separate room, and afterward went downstairs with my sister to play pool or video games or whatever while the grown ups talk. My cousins (12 years old and under) now sit at the "adult" tables and are constantly interrupting conversations and won't even eat the food my grandma makes (they demand pizza). Times have changed, oh times have changed!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

I've just never seen the city react like this in my admittedly short life time compared to some. This doesn't seem any worse than most snow storms we've had. And the whole city basically shut down. The entire Clay Terrace shopping center in Carmel shut down and the roads weren't even that bad here. Just seemed weird. I wonder if the city thought it was going to be worse or something.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bulls Game 12-26-12 postpomed

Normally the weather people always freak out in Indy, but we usually know how to handle it. I mean I've flown out of the INdy airport in worse weather than we had today (really bad ice storm a couple years ago), and this today pretty much shut down the whole city including the airport. I don't know, I'm not weather expert, but I was out and about today and I honestly didn't feel it was that bad. Certainly no reason to basically shut down the entire city for the day which is pretty much what happened as far as I can tell.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    My brother lives in Milwaukee and said they have already had a **** ton of snow but their road crews know how to handle it properly.
    Barely any snow in Chicago. We got a tiny bit of lake effect snow on Christmas, but nothing since.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    I was in castleton OMW to Scottys for a little pregame action when I got the news, roads were fine to drive on...not great, but not worth cancelling the game. Literally ruined my Christmas.
    It probably wasn't enough to actually cancel it if it was just based on the state of the roads, but I think they were thinking with their pocketbooks. They probably thought not enough people would come, meaning a decrease in concession sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I've just never seen the city react like this in my admittedly short life time compared to some. This doesn't seem any worse than most snow storms we've had. And the whole city basically shut down. The entire Clay Terrace shopping center in Carmel shut down and the roads weren't even that bad here. Just seemed weird. I wonder if the city thought it was going to be worse or something.
    It was the day after Christmas, that is your answer to your question.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    7.5 inches. The wind has made it worse than a normal 7 or 8 inches. But it isn't that bad.
    Just thought I'd point out that this is the total at the Indy airport which is not accurate for ALL of the Indy metro area. Most of the north burbs (Zionsville, Carmel, Westfield, Fishers, Noblesville) reported lower totals than that so any of you from those areas wondering what's up didn't get it as bad as everywhere else. I can assure you that this snowfall total is not the case all over Indy. I live on the far east side and we got MUCH more than that. I measured in a few different places. Some of the drifts in our yard were two feet deep and the regular snowfall was 11 inches. So everyone saying it wasn't that bad, just know that's not the way everyone is seeing it. Another thing to consider, I woke up at 3am on the 26th and looked out and it wasn't snowing yet. I woke up again at 7am and it had started but you could still see pavement and grass. By 1 in the afternoon it had pretty much stopped so that means that the majority of that snow fell in about 6 hours.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Noel Gallagher of Oasis said "keep telling people you're the best band in the world and 50% of people will believe you". Well, yell blizzard enough, like every news station did yesterday, and you'll get enough people to believe it. I'm not saying it wasn't bad but I can think of 5-10 storms that had worse conditions.

Remember the game where Croshere showed up at halftime, late 05/early 06? The roads were much worse then.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

The ice storm a couple years ago was worse. The snowstorm in 2007 or 08 that had about 5 inches on the ground by morning rush hour was way more brutal. The game didnt need to be canceled last night. I feel like this was a money decision.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I agree. My 15 minute drive home took maybe 20 to 25 max. Compared to the ice game from 2 years ago this was nothing. I chose to walk instead of drive for the ice game, whereas I decided to skip walking last night after seeing how clear the roads were.

And it's got nothing to do with rural counties because they play games all the time after people in outlying areas have seen a chunk of snow that might not have cleared yet.

It's weird that they DIDN'T cancel when things were at their worst. I could see calling it early because you just weren't sure. But to get to the other side of it and see how well things got cleared up, and then cancel. Weird.

The thing that makes these storms worst then years previous. THE INTERNET. Everyone online *****ing about how bad it is.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

I will say the way Indy handles these things is so much better than the way DC does. In DC they hype storms with half as much expected snow twice as much as they do in Indy, and in DC snow storms are always accompanied by widespread power outages. Plus, DC is a city of transients so you have always have a portion of the population that has never driven in snowy conditions before. Although I do think they hyped this one up a lot more in Indy than I remember as a kid.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

It would have looked bad on television to have played the game with Pacer fans in attendance and not a BUNCH of rude, crude Bullies fans in the seats being themselves. NBA annointed teams don't like to play in front of hostile crowds. Our fieldhouse has always been Chicago southside for these games!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Normally the weather people always freak out in Indy, but we usually know how to handle it. I mean I've flown out of the INdy airport in worse weather than we had today (really bad ice storm a couple years ago), and this today pretty much shut down the whole city including the airport. I don't know, I'm not weather expert, but I was out and about today and I honestly didn't feel it was that bad. Certainly no reason to basically shut down the entire city for the day which is pretty much what happened as far as I can tell.
    1) Airport issue was visibility, not amount of snow or ice. Pilots were waving off landings and diverting due to whiteout conditions, some pilots were unable to even see to taxi.

2) Indianapolis itself actually got hit pretty lightly. 3 counties south of Indy were declared "emergency travel only", which may have factored into the decision. Out here on the west side things were still blowing pretty well when the game was canceled - another likely issue would have been re-freeze that would have been hitting after sundown.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

3 counties south of Indy were declared "emergency travel only",

I live in one of those 3 counties, and I've driven to sectional games with worse snow conditions than what was here! The media played a large part in shutting down where I reside. This so called blizzard wasn't even remotely close to the Blizzard of 78, and I was out driving in it the next day in a van!

Granted south of Martinsville near the Monroe/Morgan county line on 37 the highway was closed for awhile b/c vehicles couldn't get up the hills, but that's a hour drive south of BLF. IMO, cancelling the game was a knee jerk reaction due to all the media reporting.

I just returned from being out, and I tip my hat to the Greenwood Street Dept for how clean the streets are. OTOH, driving on "state highway 135" in Greenwood is like driving on a washboard. I drove back home on the better cleaned back streets of Greenwood instead of driving 135. Thanks Greenwood Street Dept!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Mike Wells ‏@MikeWellsNBA

For those upset at the Pacers over the late announcement of the postponed game should look at the NBA. The league postponed the game.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

I wonder if Stern will fine himself $250,000 for not postponing the game in a timely manner.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I drove down from Muncie last night. I left at my usual time 4:30ish I had to pick a buddy up at the airport so I decided to go down any way. It took me 2 hours to get to Indy because the Interstate was not cleared/salted yet and we saw several Semi trucks that had slid off the road. So I can see why the game was called. Besides had they not called the game we would have lost a ton of money due to bulls fans not being able to make it down.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    1) Airport issue was visibility, not amount of snow or ice. Pilots were waving off landings and diverting due to whiteout conditions, some pilots were unable to even see to taxi.

2) Indianapolis itself actually got hit pretty lightly. 3 counties south of Indy were declared "emergency travel only", which may have factored into the decision. Out here on the west side things were still blowing pretty well when the game was canceled - another likely issue would have been re-freeze that would have been hitting after sundown.
    It was pretty lousy here in Henry County as well. I knew all day I wouldn't be driving in for the game even if it had gone on.