Thread: List of top 25 point guards in the NBA, the League of Point Guards

Default List of top 25 point guards in the NBA, the League of Point Guards

PLEASE REMIND ME IF I FORGOT SOMEONE. I'M NOT JOHN HOLLINGER/ZACH LOWE.

I came up with this list because while I was having fun researching the Indy point guards I was astonished at how many talented point guards the league has. It really is amazing. Brandon Jennings would be considered one of the worst on this entire list, and he can explode for 40 at any point...

Notes:

I was harsh when it came to Nash. His recent injuries, his old age, and his god awful defense. Later in the season he may establish himself once again as a top 10 PG, but right now I don't think it is honest, and given the choice I would not take him. I can't stand players that cant defend and he's so slow at this point he's just terrible on D.

Couple guys I added at the bottom of the list because they were injured and we don't really know where they should be until they finish a whole season in the future. (rubio, lowry)

Also, so many of the all stars are nearly interchangeable. So don't give me to much grief if you think Tony is so much better than Kyrie or something. The point of the list is to see the sheer number of talented points. I tried to be objective as possible. I mean this is based off my opinions, but also numbers.. I woul change some things if we were all in a backroom and I could give my opinion without getting laughed at.. lol

Everyone one of these point guards is bringing a lot to the game. Just amazing. No other position has half as much talent.

1. CP3
    2. Derrick Rose (I have to add him)
    3. Rajon Rondo
    4. Kyrie Irving (he may be my favorite PG in the league, I love his game)
    5. Russell Westbrook (shutup about "pure PG" there's nothing pure about RW's game, but he's top 5 in the game)
    6. Tony Parker
    7. Stephen Curry (too high? maybe, I love what he's doing...also best pure shooter in the game??)
    8. Deron Williams (low? ****, maybe not low enough. I've always been a HUGE fan, but he hasn't played well since he's been a Net! Maybe the Pacers dodged a bullet?)
    9. Jrue Holliday
    10. Mike Conley Jr (I think he's better than Jrue but, but Jrue's numbers are much better, have to give Jrue the nod)
    11. Damian Lillard A favorite of this board this past draft, but of course we really had no way of obtaining that pick unfortunately
    12. George Hill
    13. Steve Nash
    14. John Wall
    15. Kemba Walker
    16. Ty Lawson (I know a lot of people would have him higher, but I'm not the biggest fan, plus he's having a horrible start shooting so far this season.)
    17. Goran Dragic (another favorite of this board, but do not include me in that list. Again, I'm not a fan of players that don't do defense)
    18. Greivis Vasquez (He's having a great season)
    19. Brandon Knight
    20. Jeff Teague
    21. Jose Calderon (this is another guy that most would have much higher. I am not a fan at all. Sue me)
    22. Brandon Jennings
    23. Mo Williams
    24. Kyle Lowry
    25. Ricky Rubio
    Last edited by mattie; 12-26-2012 at 04:37 AM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: List of top 25 point guards in the NBA, the League of Point Guards

You've got Rubio tragically low.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You've got Rubio tragically low.
    Check the notes. Both Rubio and Lowry are low. But until they actually perform for a whole season we can't really know. Rubio has played 41 games. That's it. Lowry has been injured the last two seasons. I put them on the list to note they are two more talented guards but I'm not going to try to rank them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Okay, well, I'd have to say that my top 3 point guards (in no order) are CP3, Rondo, and Williams. Able scorers with incredible passing abilities, which is a trait that defines the point guard. For that reason, I would put Derrick Rose 4th, maybe 5th depending on how Irving performs next year. Also, Rubio is top-15 already, and has potential to be top-10, even top-5 in years to come. I wouldn't put him anywhere below Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, or Mo Williams, simply because Rubio already has talent that shines. Knight and Walker are Rose-esque PG's, and that will only get them so far.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

My definition of a PG is a lot different then most. Hell I would still have Jason Kidd high on that list just because of his ability to make his team better. I disagree that that position has the most talent. I see very few that play that position correctly and make their teams win because of their skill set. Instead I see a lot of guys that want to drop 40 and are okay with 6 assists.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure he deserves to be on the list now, but I fully expect Eric Bledsoe to move up that list in the next few years once he's out of Chris Paul's shadow. He's so athletic. The key is if he continues to develop an all around game. He could probably be starting for some teams right now.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

I don't know about Hill being ranked before Nash, Wall and Lawson
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Jeremy Lin #1

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Both Rubio and Lowry are low. But until they actually perform for a whole season we can't really know.
    Lowry had consecutive seasons of 82, 77, 68, and 75 games played before a freakish abdominal infection last year and a torn triceps this year. Not exactly the type of china doll-type injuries that earn a player the reputation you suggest
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm glad you put in a note that Deron Williams has been awful since the trade to the Nets. He really hasn't been very good for them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't think Hill should be ranked over Nash, Wall, Lawson, Rubio, Lowry... And I still need to think about Jennings, Kemba and Dragic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hill is in the top 15
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    Okay, well, I'd have to say that my top 3 point guards (in no order) are CP3, Rondo, and Williams. Able scorers with incredible passing abilities, which is a trait that defines the point guard. For that reason, I would put Derrick Rose 4th, maybe 5th depending on how Irving performs next year. Also, Rubio is top-15 already, and has potential to be top-10, even top-5 in years to come. I wouldn't put him anywhere below Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, or Mo Williams, simply because Rubio already has talent that shines. Knight and Walker are Rose-esque PG's, and that will only get them so far.
    It's so frustrating when you start a thread and make notes only to have them ignored. I clearly explained why I had Rubio and Lowry at the bottom of the list. I wanted to note their talent but make NO ATTEMPT at ranking them. Can you not read? I believe there are 4 comments overall complaining about one of the two's "ranking."

Also, some food for thought: Rubio averaged 10 points on 35% shooting and 8 assists per game. Not saying he sucks because he doesn't, but that isn't exactly a stunning performance. Now, we all KNOW he's going to be a big time star as I CLEARLY noted. But we have no idea how to truly rank him as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    My definition of a PG is a lot different then most. Hell I would still have Jason Kidd high on that list just because of his ability to make his team better. I disagree that that position has the most talent. I see very few that play that position correctly and make their teams win because of their skill set. Instead I see a lot of guys that want to drop 40 and are okay with 6 assists.
    Jason Kidd is averaging 4.7 assists per 36 minutes. He's such a great point guard right now!

By the way, according to your definition of how a point guard should play, Westbrook doesn't make his team better (HAHA), and Derrick Rose, who's team has the best record in the East as long as he's playing, doesn't make his team better. You can talk about your definition of a "true point guard" and making the team better, blah blah blah, but reality shows a different story. Players such as Westbrook, Stephen, Rose, Parker, Lillard, and Hill are all making there teams MUCH better.

This idealistic view PD members have of what a point guard should do is ridiculous. It is simply wrong, and the W/L totals of many of the good teams in the NBA prove this.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I don't know about Hill being ranked before Nash, Wall and Lawson
    I noted why I had Lawson and Nash so low. I think Lawson is nothing more than Jeff Teague in a perfect system, while I personally do not prefer Nash's current level of play. Even then, I noted that here in a few weeks after a bunch more 17/11 performances I'll have to note that Nash is once again among the better PG's in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Lowry had consecutive seasons of 82, 77, 68, and 75 games played before a freakish abdominal infection last year and a torn triceps this year. Not exactly the type of china doll-type injuries that earn a player the reputation you suggest
    It's still tough at this point to exactly pin point his abilities. Say what you want, but once he again puts forth a large sample of performances we'll better know how to rank him. That's just my reasoning. I'd rather not rank him. I noticed he's one of the many talented guards, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    I don't think Hill should be ranked over Nash, Wall, Lawson, Rubio, Lowry... And I still need to think about Jennings, Kemba and Dragic...
    Once again, I noted Lawson, Nash, Rubio and Lowry in the first post. Some how you missed this...

I know people like Jennings. I do too actually. I love watching him play. The truth is though, Jennings is one of the worst point guards on this list. People see his performances on S/C and they miss out on his many bad games. He cannot score efficiently. He has lots of games were he is simply not a factor in any way. He cannot defend anyone, at times he stalls the offense because he's looking for his own shot. Jennings actually might be the worst point guard out of all 25 on this list. He definitely has talent though.

Kemba right now is scoring 18 points on a shitbag team while playing poor defense. It is a fair argument that he should be ranked higher for sure, but until he truly proves that he is much better Im fine with where he's at.

Wall is a player that has talent but needs to make much more improvement. He has good numbers for sure, but if you watch the games you'll be unimpressed with his game. He's an inefficient scorer, he's an average defender, and he is a good passer tho his lack of range on his J hinders his options. Wall will get there, but I'm betting it takes longer for him to totally realize his game.

Check the notes. Both Rubio and Lowry are low. But until they actually perform for a whole season we can't really know. Rubio has played 41 games. That's it. Lowry has been injured the last two seasons. I put them on the list to note they are two more talented guards but I'm not going to try to rank them.
    It makes sense, but it applies to Lillard and some 5 other guys on that list too.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    It makes sense, but it applies to Lillard and some 5 other guys on that list too.
    Rubio has only played 41 games. We have no idea.

The rest of the guys are all currently playing at a level they will most likely sustain. So it isn't that hard to rank them.

Lowry accordint to TOR may have LOST his starting job. Again, I just don't know where to rank him.

Every other guy on that list besides the two mentioned, can be reasonably ranked by any NBA fan.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

If this is a point guard power ranking then I agree with most of these projections. If this is your favorite players and what you think their value is then I don't have a problem. If this is a group of players that is an exhaustive list of talent, value, and career then it is clearly up for debate.

I think this year Dragic and Hill are closer than you have. I think Kyrie has been injured too much to be higher than Deron. If Lowry is suspect then so should Irving.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

I'd have Rubio higher as well. If you're going to lower him for injury, you have to do it for Kyrie as well.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Everyone has their opinion, but when you look at the top teams in the league recently, only one or 2 have a true "traditional" PG as their starter (CP3, Rondo) to go further, when you look at successful teams in the history of the league, there are very few teams that have that "traditional" PG (Magic, Isaiah, were champs while Nash, Kidd and CP3 have had their teams play deeply into the finals)

There's nothing wrong with having a PG that looks to score. As the game has evolved, it's only fitting to have the guy with the ball in his hands the most to be a threat to put up 16-22 PPG consistently. The whole making your teammates better is nice and all, but I don't think it's as vital to a teams success as many here on PD.

Nash has always excelled within a high octane, wide open system. But his terrible defense and insbility to adjust to the tupe of gameplan that works in the playoffs, may be one of the reasona hes never played in an NBA finals. He looked good on offense for the Lakers the last two games, but if he were on the Pacers (at this point in his career) we would be a lil worse than what we are IMO. His defense is that bad--and we don't have the personnel to run the type of system that makes him great.

John Wall hasn't done anything to make the Wiz a good team. Yes he's had knuckleheads around him, but when you're the number one pick you at least make your team have positive signs for the future. ESP as a PG (even though their record sucks K. Irving has the cavs looking like they could be good In the future if he stays there)

I love Rubio's game and his confidence. The t wolves went from 7th in the West to out of the playoffs without him. But he's not a consistent scorer just yet. It'll be interesting to see how he comes back from the torn ACL

Lawson is coming down to earth a bit as teams dare him to shoot from the outside now. Smaller quicker PG's that lack size and shooting ability are great to watch but normally have short shelf lives in the league. I think he's better than he's shown but he's gotta become a consistent shooter to be effective.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I like Rubio's game, but until he proves he can be a threat scoring the ball I have him ranked in the 15-20 range. He's easily a potential top 10 guy though.

Mood

PLEASE REMIND ME IF I FORGOT SOMEONE. I'M NOT JOHN HOLLINGER/ZACH LOWE.

I came up with this list because while I was having fun researching the Indy point guards I was astonished at how many talented point guards the league has. It really is amazing. Brandon Jennings would be considered one of the worst on this entire list, and he can explode for 40 at any point...

Notes:

I was harsh when it came to Nash. His recent injuries, his old age, and his god awful defense. Later in the season he may establish himself once again as a top 10 PG, but right now I don't think it is honest, and given the choice I would not take him. I can't stand players that cant defend and he's so slow at this point he's just terrible on D.

Couple guys I added at the bottom of the list because they were injured and we don't really know where they should be until they finish a whole season in the future. (rubio, lowry)

Also, so many of the all stars are nearly interchangeable. So don't give me to much grief if you think Tony is so much better than Kyrie or something. The point of the list is to see the sheer number of talented points. I tried to be objective as possible. I mean this is based off my opinions, but also numbers.. I woul change some things if we were all in a backroom and I could give my opinion without getting laughed at.. lol

Everyone one of these point guards is bringing a lot to the game. Just amazing. No other position has half as much talent.

1. CP3
    2. Derrick Rose (I have to add him)
    3. Rajon Rondo
    4. Kyrie Irving (he may be my favorite PG in the league, I love his game)
    5. Russell Westbrook (shutup about "pure PG" there's nothing pure about RW's game, but he's top 5 in the game)
    6. Tony Parker
    7. Stephen Curry (too high? maybe, I love what he's doing...also best pure shooter in the game??)
    8. Deron Williams (low? ****, maybe not low enough. I've always been a HUGE fan, but he hasn't played well since he's been a Net! Maybe the Pacers dodged a bullet?)
    9. Jrue Holliday
    10. Mike Conley Jr (I think he's better than Jrue but, but Jrue's numbers are much better, have to give Jrue the nod)
    11. Damian Lillard A favorite of this board this past draft, but of course we really had no way of obtaining that pick unfortunately
    12. George Hill
    13. Steve Nash
    14. John Wall
    15. Kemba Walker
    16. Ty Lawson (I know a lot of people would have him higher, but I'm not the biggest fan, plus he's having a horrible start shooting so far this season.)
    17. Goran Dragic (another favorite of this board, but do not include me in that list. Again, I'm not a fan of players that don't do defense)
    18. Greivis Vasquez (He's having a great season)
    19. Brandon Knight
    20. Jeff Teague
    21. Jose Calderon (this is another guy that most would have much higher. I am not a fan at all. Sue me)
    22. Brandon Jennings
    23. Mo Williams
    24. Kyle Lowry
    25. Ricky Rubio
    Imo Russell Westbrook is the number 1 or 2

GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to oz_pacer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Conley top 10 PG?
    "He's too little! He's too little! Hook his @ss he's too little!!" - David West

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan