Default Re: Texans-Colts

Colts- 28
    Texans- 21

Colts 27
    Texans 24

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, how do the Colts, entrenched at No. 5, approach it? Full bore? Rest some of the front-line starters?

That was a line of questioning inappropriate for coach Chuck Pagano's emotional Monday news conference. He'll likely address the topic Wednesday.

Reggie Wayne saw no reason to delay the debate.

"We're too young to rest," the veteran receiver said. "We probably need to put everybody out there and have them continue to play. I don't think we can afford (to rest).

"I can't speak for everybody, but I'm built to play."

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/12/...-and-hes-right

As BBS points out, the Texans have still never won a game in Indy. We even beat them here last year with our pathetic team.

Reggie's points echo what I and others were saying immediately after the Chiefs game on Sunday. This team simply is not good enough to rest players and completely blow off a game against a quality opponent like Houston. The experience we get by playing Houston again is superior to anything we could possibly do in practice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...xans/#comments

Colts won’t rest starters against Texans

Posted by Josh Alper on December 26, 2012, 2:03 PM EST

AP
    Earlier this week, Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne said he thought the team was too young to rest starters in Week 17 against the Texans.

Coach Chuck Pagano agrees with him. Even though the Colts are locked into the fifth seed in the playoffs, Pagano said Wednesday that they will be approaching the game the same way they’ve approached all their other contests this season.

“It’s not in our DNA,’’ Pagano said, via the Indianapolis Star. “You want to win. You want to win at home. You want to go into the playoffs with momentum. We want to keep the momentum going.”

Not every Colt will be part of the effort. Center Samson Satele and running back Delone Carter have been ruled out for injuries, but it will be all hands on deck otherwise for Indy.

It’s hard to disagree with the Colts’ decision. They don’t have much to gain by taking the week off, especially when you factor Pagano’s return to work into the equation, and the bonus of beating the Texans to keep them from getting the first overall seed in the AFC makes going full speed all the more appealing.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

“It’s not in our DNA...You want to win"

there you have it

the un-Polian / un-Dungy
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Love it. This Grigson/Pagano/Arians crew would have never laid down against the Jets three years ago with a perfect season on the line. It wouldn't have even been discussed.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I never want to rest our starters again. Even if a key player gets hurt, of course I will feel terrible for our team and that player but I won't regret the decision. Past experience for the Colts demonstrates that there is a small chance a key player will get hurt, but a 100% chance that our team will be rusty next time the starters play.

If the Bungles beat the Ravens we get Cincy in the first round. Who would you guys rather have? Baltimore or Cincy? I honestly think I might choose Baltimore. Cincy is a really talented team that has come alive the past 8 weeks or so and also has a defense that has really been praying on offensive mistakes the past few weeks. Baltimore is the more experienced team, but they are also pretty old.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the Ravens won the division already.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

You're correct, Suave. The Ravens have already won the division.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...division-title

Indy and Cincy are the two wildcard teams and therefore cannot play each other in wildcard weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the Ravens won the division already.
    Ah you're right. I guess that's what I get for trusting an ESPN graphic.

Funny enough, 5 and 6 are secure, while 1-4 are still up in the air. And a lot of it will be decided by our game with Hou.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Ya, you gotta think Houston is a little peeved. I'm sure they never thought they would be facing off against a 10 win team who is refusing to rest their starters in this last game with their home field on the line. Pretty funny. You just can't kill this Colts franchise is what they have to be thinking at this point.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Ya, you gotta think Houston is a little peeved. I'm sure they never thought they would be facing off against a 10 win team who is refusing to rest their starters in this last game with their home field on the line. Pretty funny. You just can't kill this Colts franchise is what they have to be thinking at this point.
    I really want to extend Houston's record in Indy to 0-11. It's pretty funny that they couldn't even beat our miserable team here last year.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I really want to extend Houston's record in Indy to 0-11. It's pretty funny that they couldn't even beat our miserable team here last year.
    Just for that record, it's a sound choice not to rest our starters. Don't care if they are young or old, tired or fresh, that record should be extended!

Guys, I've only read about that decision to rest players in 2009 when we were 14-0. Please tell me how you felt at the moment, if you were in favor or against. That team, despite that decision, reached the Super Bowl. Do you think they really lost momentum or are you pissed off cause you missed the chance for the perfect record?

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Do you think they really lost momentum or are you pissed off cause you missed the chance for the perfect record?
    Both.

...altho momentum might be the wrong word or at least was negated. So let's say 'mojo'.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Guys, I've only read about that decision to rest players in 2009 when we were 14-0. Please tell me how you felt at the moment, if you were in favor or against. That team, despite that decision, reached the Super Bowl. Do you think they really lost momentum or are you pissed off cause you missed the chance for the perfect record?
    No one in their right mind could have been in favor, even if we had won the Super Bowl. I can't think of any other team that rested starters when they were unbeaten and I seriously doubt another team ever will. We had a once in a lifetime opportunity and Polian's ego squashed it.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    No one in their right mind could have been in favor, even if we had won the Super Bowl. I can't think of any other team that rested starters when they were unbeaten and I seriously doubt another team ever will. We had a once in a lifetime opportunity and Polian's ego squashed it.
    Yeah, I can say with 99.99999999999% certainty that a Bill Polian run team is the only team that would have done that. It wouldn't have crossed anyone else's mind. No other team would have been pompous enough to spit in the face of thousand of paying hometown fans, many of whom probably got those tickets as very expensive Christmas presents. If we had a coach with stones like Arians or Pagano instead of a puppet like Caldwell, then I'm guessing the situation would have been very contentious between them and Polian because they seem like they believe that NFL teams should always try to win games. Then Polian made the situation 1000 times worse when he was extremely condescending and abrasive to the paying customers who called into his radio show seeking an explanation as to why the team cowered at the idea of perfection.

We were the laughing stock of the entire NFL after that. Sure we ended up going to the Super Bowl, but that doesn't change the fact that at that moment, it was a terrible decision. Not to mention the fact that we dishonored our hall of fame quarterback by denying him that opportunity. Manning built that palace of a stadium and is the main reason that the franchise is still here. He deserved the opportunity play for a perfect season since we were so close. You could see it on his face that he was extremely disappointed. I read not too long ago in the Star that Saturday still gets fire in his eyes when its brought up.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Polian's hijinx not only hurt the morale of the team but of the city as well. Hallelujah for playing the starters!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

No score prediction, but I will predict a fight.... I believe tempers will be on edge and JJ Watt will do one of his half@ss celebation salutes to stir the pot.

On a side note, I've never been a fan of rub it in your face celebrations and that includes when the Colts do it too.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Corry Redding is out. That of course is not good but if he is to get some extra rest and time to heal for the playoffs, then I'm good with that. Needless to say how important he is for the DL.

http://www.colts.com/team/injury-report.html

Good gravy, do any of our remaining D-lineman legitimately belong on the NFL?

I suppose I could have asked the same ? early in the year too beyond Redding.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tevaseu maybe?
    I am reaching here, am I not?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Two things I want to see. I want to see a Colts win obviously. The other thing I want to see is JJ Watt denied the sacks record.