4 7.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: How far will the Colts advance in the playoffs

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Poll: How far will the Colts advance in the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We could have fixed the line with the king's ransom of goods we would have received for the Luck pick. I'm not saying that would have been the right thing to do, but we almost certainly would have fixed the line with all of the stuff we would have got for the pick.
    Doubtful, the Rams still haven't gotten the fruits of the trade for RGIII. Teams are built through the draft anyway so it was unlikely that a core of rookies would instantly shore up the line or played to Peyton's expectations.
    Last edited by Natston; 12-26-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    Doubtful, the Rams still haven't gotten the fruits of the trade for RGIII. Teams are built through the draft anyway so it was unlikely that a core of rookies with instantly shore up the line or played to Peyton's expectations.
    You're probably right. I think we could have gotten a lineman or two from a team though. But yes, there's no way the line would have been could enough for Peyton. Luck has survived by making athletic plays on his feet, something that Peyton would be incapable of doing at this point.

It's been a great, fun season. But when it comes down to it we just aren't good enough to get it done in the playoffs yet.

Man next year is going to be one heck of a year though. We have loads of money to go out and sign who we want, if we make the right moves we can be super bowl contenders again as early as next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    It's been a great, fun season. But when it comes down to it we just aren't good enough to get it done in the playoffs yet.
    At this point, you are what your record says you are and 10 and 5 is 10 and 5. We've won twice as many games as we've lost. We certainly aren't going to be favored to win a playoff game, but I don't think it would be the biggest shocker ever given what we've accomplished this season.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Yes, we have ten wins. Yes, there are couple quality wins - GB & Minn - although Vikes have not yet cemented the NFC 6 seed. Our season is impressive given the circumstances and expectations. We deserve credit and it likely bodes well for our future prospects.

Another strand of our overall season narrative is we've feasted on the results of a 2 - 14 mark from last year. Our play in close games has been incredible, but against a division winner on the road, are we capable of maintaining contact and giving ourselves that opportunity? We aren't talking Lions, Titans, and Chiefs here.

Our run defense looked precariously leaky last week and our pass rush has been largely uninspiring most of the year. On the other side of the ball, pass protection has been a consistent nightmare and despite the comebacks and late game composure, Luck has routinely suffered streaks of inaccuracy and turnovers.

So, shocked, if we pull what in my mind would be a massive upset? Maybe not shocked, but let's just say I'm not going into the wildcard game, regardless of our opponent, with any expectation what so ever. I see a team that's spectacular in the sense it has overcome a complete overhaul at all levels, a wealth of inexperience, low expectations, and a challenging situation involving its head coach, yet still was better than roughly 2/3 of the league. Thoroughly enjoyable and much credit deserved.

I do not see, however, a team anywhere near ready to complete with the league's elite, roughly defined as the 8 division winners. We have a slim flicker of massive upset hopes against that group. The only other playoff teams against whom I'd have have even moderate expectations would be the Bengals, Vikes, possibly the NFC East representative.

Now, a win in a legit, meaningful game against the Texans could certainly provide momentum and another quality win, perhaps a confidence that boosts us closer to elite level competition. Don't get me wrong, I'll be ecstatic if we win a playoff game, but the performance last week and the cons of our season - long pro/con list lead me to believe the most realistic conclusion is we just are not good enough against top - tier comp on the road in the post season.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

8. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

I think we may need to be ready to exercise patience next season. Even if we do make all the right moves in drafts, free agency, etc, I think there may still be some growing pains. The biggest one possibly based on the fact that we'll be playing a 10 - 6 or 11 - 5 schedule. Additionally, it's not unusual for teams to hit some plateaus during their development over multiple seasons. We might be able to take the next step and be a legit superbowl contender, but we also might hover around .500 and appear to struggle even though it's just part of the longer - term learning/development curve.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I think we may need to be ready to exercise patience next season. Even if we do make all the right moves in drafts, free agency, etc, I think there may still be some growing pains. The biggest one possibly based on the fact that we'll be playing a 10 - 6 or 11 - 5 schedule. Additionally, it's not unusual for teams to hit some plateaus during their development over multiple seasons. We might be able to take the next step and be a legit superbowl contender, but we also might hover around .500 and appear to struggle even though it's just part of the longer - term learning/development curve.
    True. We play the NFC West next year and unfortunately will have to go to Seattle and San Francisco. Those will be brutal games. Fortunately we will have St. Louis and Arizona at home, both of which should be wins.

We play the AFC West. Denver and Oakland at home, KC and SD on the road. Denver will be tough and SD could be difficult on the road. KC and Oakland should be wins.

We will probably play Miami and the Benglas as both of those teams should finish second in their division like us. We thankfully won't play the Patriots for the first time in forever.

I can't see us doing any worse than .500 in the division. I think we should at least win 10 games next year.

True. We play the NFC West next year and unfortunately will have to go to Seattle and San Francisco. Those will be brutal games. Fortunately we will have St. Louis and Arizona at home, both of which should be wins.

We play the AFC West. Denver and Oakland at home, KC and SD on the road. Denver will be tough and SD could be difficult on the road. KC and Oakland should be wins.

We will probably play Miami and the Benglas as both of those teams should finish second in their division like us. We thankfully won't play the Patriots for the first time in forever.

I can't see us doing any worse than .500 in the division. I think we should at least win 10 games next year.
    IT comes down to the divison and I look at the Texans as very beatable next year given the Colts will have around 48 million dollars to spend. I don't expect Grigson to spend all the money but the Colts will have big upgrades on the defensive and offensive line which should make the Colts the divisional winners next year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    IT comes down to the divison and I look at the Texans as very beatable next year given the Colts will have around 48 million dollars to spend. I don't expect Grigson to spend all the money but the Colts will have big upgrades on the defensive and offensive line which should make the Colts the divisional winners next year.
    True. It's extremely unlikely that they start out 11-1 again.

We have St. L and Seattle at home, SF and Arizona on the road.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    We have St. L and Seattle at home, SF and Arizona on the road.
    No, it's SF and Seattle on the road and St. Louis and Arizona at home. In 2009, we hosted SF and Seattle, and faced Arizona and St. Louis on the road. It will flip next year to the way it was in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_In...s_Colts_season

No, it's SF and Seattle on the road and St. Louis and Arizona at home. In 2009, we hosted SF and Seattle, and faced Arizona and St. Louis on the road. It will flip next year to the way it was in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_In...s_Colts_season
    Weird, I've read multiple places that we have Seattle at home.

But yeah, based on that schedule we do play at Seattle. Too bad.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Weird, I've read multiple places that we have Seattle at home.

But yeah, based on that schedule we do play at Seattle. Too bad.
    I do not claim to know for sure, but I think the Colts do play the Seahawks at home next season. The NFL re-configured home/away rotation following the 2009 season. For example, the Colts played at Oakland in both 2007 and 2010. Like I said, I'm not 100% certain, and I don't know if that re-configuration affected NFC opponents.

I've used this site in the past and it hasn't failed me yet: http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedu...uture_afcs.htm
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    I do not claim to know for sure, but I think the Colts do play the Seahawks at home next season. The NFL re-configured home/away rotation following the 2009 season. For example, the Colts played at Oakland in both 2007 and 2010. Like I said, I'm not 100% certain, and I don't know if that re-configuration affected NFC opponents.

I've used this site in the past and it hasn't failed me yet: http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedu...uture_afcs.htm
    I used that as well, and somewhere on one of the major sports sites I read that we played Sea at home. If they did reconfigure that then it would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I wouldn't be amazed if they win the Super Bowl this team is unpredictable.
    That's a pretty optimistic outlook!

But in any sport/league, the unexpected should always be expected once the playoffs begin because anything can happen.

Regardless, just making it in is huge for this young Colts team to experience and learn from.

I'm feeling confident in beating a Jim Caldwell & Joe Flacco offense. Ray Lewis and Haloti Ngata are very scary though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

But in any sport/league, the unexpected should always be expected once the playoffs begin because anything can happen.
    Except for the NBA. Or may I say, the upsets in that league are really few the last past years.

I wish people would stop saying this team was a 2 win team last year. That may be true, but, this team ( the team that just won 11 games) is not the same team as last year. The only resemblance is maybe 15 players and the mascot.

This team has a good record and has overcome all sorts of adversity. Adversity that would make most veteran teams, currently in this league, crumble.
    -new coaching staff
    -rookie qb that wasn't at OTA's
    -switching to 3-4 def.
    -no secondary to write home about
    -o-line has been bad all season
    -Head coach is out for 12 weeks
    -not having Freeney and Mathis on the field at the same time for much of the season
    -center position has been occupied by 4 to 5 different players
    -had to win in comeback fashion many times

This Colts team is capable of anything. Who would have said before yesterday's game that J.J. Watt would be held without a sack. And that Foster would have less than 100 yards rushing. This team is made up of rookies and throw away players with some key vets sprinkled in, and yet they play like they are suppose to win games. When everyone says they can't, they do. A group like this who has some momentum coming into the postseason definitely has a chance to have a deep run.

It think they'll win the whole damn thing.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MaHa3000 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MaHa3000 View Post
    I wish people would stop saying this team was a 2 win team last year. That may be true, but, this team ( the team that just won 11 games) is not the same team as last year. The only resemblance is maybe 15 players and the mascot.

This team has a good record and has overcome all sorts of adversity. Adversity that would make most veteran teams, currently in this league, crumble.
    -new coaching staff
    -rookie qb that wasn't at OTA's
    -switching to 3-4 def.
    -no secondary to write home about
    -o-line has been bad all season
    -Head coach is out for 12 weeks
    -not having Freeney and Mathis on the field at the same time for much of the season
    -center position has been occupied by 4 to 5 different players
    -had to win in comeback fashion many times

This Colts team is capable of anything. Who would have said before yesterday's game that J.J. Watt would be held without a sack. And that Foster would have less than 100 yards rushing. This team is made up of rookies and throw away players with some key vets sprinkled in, and yet they play like they are suppose to win games. When everyone says they can't, they do. A group like this who has some momentum coming into the postseason definitely has a chance to have a deep run.

It think they'll win the whole damn thing.
    This team was a 2 win team last year, they made changes to improve, that is how you are measured, what your team did last year and what you did to improve, it is what it is.
    Why so SERIOUS

I think any team that qualified for the playoffs has a shot to win it all. Even the WC teams are dangerous.
    Minnesota has proved that AP can carry them to win games.
    Cincy is dangerous if AG Green and Dalton are on.
    Seattle has been smoking everybody as of late.
    Washington is the hottest team in the NFC.
    GB has all the tools and experience to get it done.
    SF, if they show up, can beat anybody.
    Atlanta has a very explosive offense and has home field throughout the playoffs.
    New England is New England and are always a threat to win the SB
    Denver is the hottest team in the AFC and appears unbeatable if Peyton is on
    Houston, if they can get it together, has talent on both sides to beat anybody
    Baltimore can win if their sometimes explosive offense shows up
    Indy has shown all year that if the game is close, Andrew Luck will find ways to win.

This is going to be an awesome post season
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I think any team that qualified for the playoffs has a shot to win it all. Even the WC teams are dangerous.
    Minnesota has proved that AP can carry them to win games.
    Cincy is dangerous if AG Green and Dalton are on.
    Seattle has been smoking everybody as of late.
    Washington is the hottest team in the NFC.
    GB has all the tools and experience to get it done.
    SF, if they show up, can beat anybody.
    Atlanta has a very explosive offense and has home field throughout the playoffs.
    New England is New England and are always a threat to win the SB
    Denver is the hottest team in the AFC and appears unbeatable if Peyton is on
    Houston, if they can get it together, has talent on both sides to beat anybody
    Baltimore can win if their sometimes explosive offense shows up
    Indy has shown all year that if the game is close, Andrew Luck will find ways to win.

This is going to be an awesome post season
    Remember the Giants last year? 9-7 team and won the Super Bowl. It can happen
    "We want Miami"