Thread: Grading the Vontae Davis trade so far

Default Grading the Vontae Davis trade so far

I would give it a B+, He has been hurt and had some good games and some bad games, really good game today and his first interception of the season, I like it

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Grading the Vontae Davis trade so far

He shoulda had two picks today.

I like the trade, I think he's a good CB, I think we'll see more out of him next year. Just gotta stay healthy.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Considering the Bears got Brandon Marshall from the same team for a 3rd and 4th rounders, I still think we could've done better. Its not the worst trade in the world though, he definitely showed what he is capable of doing today. He's also been pretty good at tackling RBs

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Considering the Bears got Brandon Marshall from the same team for a 3rd and 4th rounders, I still think we could've done better. Its not the worst trade in the world though, he definitely showed what he is capable of doing today. He's also been pretty good at tackling RBs
    did you watch the hard knocks on it? We tried getting him for cheaper from Miami but they wouldn't budge, so we ended up giving them our 2nd round pick, it is also harder to find a lock down corner than a stud receiver

Very good cornerback. We needed one of those. Probably better immediately than any CB we would have taken in the 2nd round. Since we will be picking no earlier than 21st in the 2nd, it was a great trade.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Very good cornerback. We needed one of those. Probably better immediately than any CB we would have taken in the 2nd round. Since we will be picking no earlier than 21st in the 2nd, it was a great trade.
    exactly how I look at it, especially we got Vontae for a 2nd round pick, and he has the potential to be a top 10 corner

Mood

I think we got very lucky in the trade and he will be solid for years to come. Better than any corner that we could have gotten through the draft pick.

To me the jury is still out on whether this trade will work out long-term. Injuries and inconsistent play against the better receivers in the league are concerns. The Colts won't be playing a cupcake schedule next year and Davis will need to step up and stay on the field if the defense is going to progress. I do like his size and ability to contribute in run support.

For the short-term (2012) needs I did understand the trade and it looks more palatable in hindsight with the pick being in the 20's vs. early in the second round. That said the Colts likely still need to pick up corner depth somewhere in the draft. Powers may never adjust to playing in a man scheme and there are concerns with Vaughn & Butler as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

With the exception of getting burned a few times in Houston, he's been outstanding the last 4 or 5 games. No clue how that second pick got called a PI. That was such a horrible call.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    did you watch the hard knocks on it? We tried getting him for cheaper from Miami but they wouldn't budge, so we ended up giving them our 2nd round pick, it is also harder to find a lock down corner than a stud receiver
    Oh I didn't know that...

but I wouldn't exactly call Davis a lock down corner yet. He's played some good games but its too early for that distinction. Also Marshall is not your ordinary quality receiver, he's probably the 2nd best WR in the league. Nobody can cover him

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    Oh I didn't know that...

but I wouldn't exactly call Davis a lock down corner yet. He's played some good games but its too early for that distinction. Also Marshall is not your ordinary quality receiver, he's probably the 2nd best WR in the league. Nobody can cover him
    I know he is not a lockdown corner, I meant to say that he has the potential to be a lockdown corner, but I believe we offered a 5th round pick and a 6th round pick for Vontae first, and Miami did not even respond to that offer, then we offered them a 3rd round pick and a 6th and they said they wanted more, and we ended up giving them a 2nd round pick and a conditional 6th rounder, and we get the 6th rounder back

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He seems to be getting more and more comfortable within his role. I like the fact that he plays tough against the run, and is a pretty physical DB. He's gotten burned a few times deep (Houston), but he's also been right there on a few throws and the receiver (Calvin and Andre Johnson) just made impossible catches. If we're able to get another playmaking CB in the offseason, moving Vaughn to the nickle and Butler to the dime, I think we will have quite the CB core.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd like to think it's not a form thing but that he is really accustomed to the team now. It's at least some games now that he has been, all in all, very good. I hope he continues to play like that.
    Tbh, I wasn't impressed by him at the start and was questioning the fact we gave up a 2nd round pick for him.