Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Derek Fisher Waived by his request

Default Re: Derek Fisher Waived by his request

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure, I guess if you use the logic of a contract is only as strong as the paper its writen on.

Me, personally, I would rather be a man of my word and honor my contract. I expect my employer to do so, so I figure I may as well reciprocate.
    But Fisher didn't sign with Houston. He was traded, after being the starting point guard on a team that went to 7 finals and won 5 championships. And that seems to be the time people have an issue with. (Because if he had done this twice, with both times being about his family, I don't think there would have been an issue. Particularly given his family circumstances. Except those grossly assuming he's using his child's cancer to get what he wants.)

So until there is some moral obligation for GM's to be loyal towards players who deserve it (A Fisher, A Ray Allen, A Danny Granger, A Jeff Foster etc...) there is no moral obligation for players to ask out of their contract, provided they are willing to pay for it. (IMO) Because to me, the morality of being a "man of your word" is no greater than the morality of respect and loyalty. As a GM and fan, you can't have it both ways. You can't expect loyalty from players without giving it back (to those who deserve it. There's a difference between wanting to get rid of Granger and wanting to get rid of DJ.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    But Fisher didn't sign with Houston. He was traded, after being the starting point guard on a team that went to 7 finals and won 5 championships. And that seems to be the time people have an issue with. (Because if he had done this twice, with both times being about his family, I don't think there would have been an issue. Particularly given his family circumstances. Except those grossly assuming he's using his child's cancer to get what he wants.)

So until there is some moral obligation for GM's to be loyal towards players who deserve it (A Fisher, A Ray Allen, A Danny Granger, A Jeff Foster etc...) there is no moral obligation for players to ask out of their contract, provided they are willing to pay for it. (IMO) Because to me, the morality of being a "man of your word" is no greater than the morality of respect and loyalty. As a GM and fan, you can't have it both ways. You can't expect loyalty from players without giving it back (to those who deserve it. There's a difference between wanting to get rid of Granger and wanting to get rid of DJ.)
    Unless the player is purposely trying to screw over the team I don't think morality has anything to do with it. Seems more like an ethical issue, than a moral issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We are never going to see eye to eye, so I am going to bow out agreeing to disagree.

I dont see the two as the same.

Being traded is a risk you take in pro sports. You make HUGE money, you get HUGE fame, but with that comes the chance that your team may move on for any number of reasons. The trade off is when your contract is up, you can choose to go anywhere you want, for however long you want.

I do not equate "I am trading you" which is allowed in the CBA but sucks for the player (and the team that you are traded from some time) to "I am not happy, and even though I have a contract with you* I do not want to play here".

It may not be against the rules, but one is the nature of the business (just like my best friend marine has the trade off of a great job but constant travel) and the other is being a whiny baby because you cant have your cake and eat it too. IMO of course

* I know his contract may have been signed with X team, but your contract gets shifted when you get traded. If you dont like that, then you should sign a 1 year contract year after year and play the FA market and risk not having a job for the reward of picking your home.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post

These players get paid millions of dollars to play a fun game. Control over their destiny is one of the few things they cede when they decide to become professional basketball players. If they want to control where they live then they picked the wrong profession. Every player knows they can be traded at any moment. It's one of the few negatives to their otherwise silver spoon lifestyle. When you get paid millions to play a game, control over your own fate is something that you unfortunately have to give up.

No one is arguing that Derek Fisher didn't have the "right" to do what he has done because clearly he did. What we are saying is that his conduct is against the professional norms that most players display when they are traded. Find me another player that has asked for three releases. Everyone gives him the benefit of the doubt for the Utah one and his daughter, but you don't go from Houston to Oklahoma City because of your daughter's situation in Los Angeles. Most players don't do what he's done. Most respect the fact that trades are part of the game. What if every single player did what Fisher did when they were traded? Then what kind of a league would we have? That would severely hamper the business of the league.

Fisher has the right to do what he did, and I have the right to call him out on being extremely egotistical and entitled.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

It looks like Derek no longer wanted to be home. He just signed with the Thunder.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It looks like Derek no longer wanted to be home. He just signed with the Thunder.
    He has to keep a job if he wants to keep his role as union president.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post

"Going home" was code for "Dallas is much worse than I thought they'd be, so I'm going to ask for my release and hope that a playoff team picks me up."

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's kind of a douche move for him to make, but as a Mavs fan I don't really sweat the small stuff. It's been more than a couple of years since he had any use as an NBA player, and he totally sucked as a member of the Mavs.

If we were talking about a relevant NBA player who actually contributes in a meaningful way on the court, I'd be pissed that he abandoned ship on the Mavs, but I really couldn't care less about Fisher. He's useless on the court.

This is no surprise. ha
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

I am shocked. Shocked I tell you.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Pretty much what I said....

What happens when he joins the Lakers or Mavericks or [insert contender here]. I guess we will just have to revisit this thread if/when that happens.

PS. I love the phrase call a spade a spade. I seem to be using that phrase a lot lately.

sometimes history does repeat itself

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

I'm surprised he is welcome back considering the stuff he was part of with the union leadership.

It looks like Fisher's egotistical selfish behavior is finally rubbing a team the wrong way:

Apparently with 26 games left before the start of the playoffs, family concerns are no longer an issue for Fisher, who wore No. 6 for the Mavs because, as he said, he joined them on a quest for a sixth title. “This is not a pit stop,” Fisher told his new Dallas teammates.

Lo and behold, he will also wear No. 6 for the Thunder. He will make his second OKC debut in as many seasons at home Wednesday against the New Orleans Hornets.

So how do the jilted Mavs feel about this turn of events?

Owner Mark Cuban did not reply to multiple emails on Monday, but one league source said the best way to describe the mood of the Dallas front office is “agitated.” The source said that Fisher and his representatives never contacted the Mavs during his decision-making process to discuss a possible return to Dallas, the team that, in good faith, initially signed him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...7170--nba.html
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-26-2013 at 01:07 PM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

cricket cricket cricket

Mood

What a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I think it's kind of a douche move for him to make, but as a Mavs fan I don't really sweat the small stuff. It's been more than a couple of years since he had any use as an NBA player, and he totally sucked as a member of the Mavs.

If we were talking about a relevant NBA player who actually contributes in a meaningful way on the court, I'd be pissed that he abandoned ship on the Mavs, but I really couldn't care less about Fisher. He's useless on the court.

I agree with you that he's an irrelevant washed up scrub on the court. But what ticks people off is that the head of the NBPA is making a complete mockery of the system. Shouldn't he be setting an example? If every player behaved like he did, then the business of the league would be severely hampered.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I guess the Lakers have secret agents disguised as players to screw up their western conference rivals. First they sent Odom to the Mavs who flat out sucked and hurt their chemistry. Then they sent Fisher to OKC where he was average at best. Then he went to the Mavs where he sucked and asked to leave. And Now he goes back to OKC to probably teach the younger guys how to start locker room riots and get their own way against the management and the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

26. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    I guess the Lakers have secret agents disguised as players to screw up their western conference rivals. First they sent Odom to the Mavs who flat out sucked and hurt their chemistry. Then they sent Fisher to OKC where he was average at best. Then he went to the Mavs where he sucked and asked to leave. And Now he goes back to OKC to probably teach the younger guys how to start locker room riots and get their own way against the management and the team.

Odom's embarrassing whinny behavior last year makes Fisher look like the utmost professional.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Is he still being paid by Dallas how does that work?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Just saw this a little while ago. Cuban is really pissed at Fisher.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...ots-at-fisher/

DALLAS — On Derek Fisher‘s first day of practice with the Oklahoma City Thunder, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban didn’t miss an opportunity to fire a few shots at his former short-time employee.

Fisher signed a contract with the Mavs in late November when no other teams showed interest and three weeks later Fisher asked Dallas to release him so he could return to his family in Los Angeles. On Monday, Fisher, the NBPA president, resurfaced, signing a deal with the title-contending Thunder, the team he also joined late last season.

“Look, I understand, completely,” Cuban said Tuesday prior to the Mavs’ home game against Milwaukee. “From the time Derek was here to him signing with OKC, his kids are older, so they can deal with things better. So I understand him having more comfort in being away from them.”

Cuban, obviously, had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek. But the Mavs organization wasn’t laughing when it learned that the 17-year veteran had signed with the team 200 miles to the north two months after Dallas agreed to release him from his contract on Dec. 22.

While Cuban did not respond to multiple email inquiries on Monday, an NBA.com source described the Dallas front office as being “agitated.” Cuban on Tuesday confirmed the source’s statement that Fisher and his representatives did not call Dallas to gauge its interest in bringing Fisher back once he determined he wanted to play.

“They did not come back and say he’s interested in playing again, do you want him back?” Cuban said.

Cuban also denied that Fisher and the Mavs had a prearranged understanding that a family situation could force him to ask to be released from his contract.

“Any time you sign a vet like that, whether it’s Mike James or whatever, you say ‘Look, if something comes up, health, family, whatever, we’ll always work with you,’” Cuban said. “No, there were no preconditions because you’re not allowed to have preconditions, right? But we always talk to our guys and say, look we recognize with age comes different responsibilities, so we try to be, with anybody, you know, that’s why teams let guys go home on personal days and stuff like that. When your wife has a baby, this generation we let you go home even if it means missing a game. The better way to put it is we always try to be considerate of any player’s needs, but there was no side deal.”

The Mavs signed Fisher on Nov. 29 just as starting point guard Darren Collison was benched and the Mavs had cooled to 7-7 after a 4-1 start. Fisher immediately took over as the starting point guard. They wanted his veteran leadership and crunch-time savvy, an element Dallas has sorely lacked during this disappointing season.

Fisher injured his knee in his ninth game and was granted his release just days later.

At the time, Fisher thanked Cuban and the Mavs organization in a prepared statement, and said he was making a decision to put life ahead of basketball. Although he also said he wasn’t ruling out a return to basketball.

And so he joins a Thunder team just 26 games before beginning a championship-or-bust postseason. OKC has a need for a playoff-hardened point guard to back up Russell Westbrook. Second-year guard Reggie Jackson won the job over Eric Maynor, who was traded to Portland at last week’s deadline.

“I knew that I still wanted to play the game. I knew I still had the love, the work ethic, the passion,” Fisher told repoerters in Oklahoma City on Tuesday. “The injury was a setback. The biggest struggle was for me, even after 16 years (in the NBA), playing in a different city, being away from my family. Those are things that I struggled with. But as I was leaving Dallas, I understood the risks that that could possibly be my last game or my last opportunity.”

By Tuesday, all that was really left for the the jilted Mavs owner was to have a little fun at Fisher’s expense.

“Like I said, his kids are older now,” Cuban said. “It’s easier to fly in and out of Oklahoma City than it is to Dallas. I understand that. It’s just a decision a parent has to make.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Maybe fisher learn this from philemon jackson. Opportunist!!!

Wonder what the over under is on him pulling this crap next year?

OH well, at least he got called out for it this time.

Like others have said, damn shame to have the union president pulling this crap

34. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Scumbag Derek strikes again. Nothing shocking here.

Funny how being away from his family is an issue when he's trying to get off a bad Dallas team, yet it's not a big enough deal to prevent him from signing with a great Thunder team. Last I checked, Oklahoma City wasn't anywhere near Los Angeles.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    Scumbag Derek strikes again. Nothing shocking here.
    What is shocking is there were 3 pages of people attempting to defend him, yet very few have come to call him out for pulling the same stunt a lot of us expected.

Oh well, hopefully we beat the Thunder in the Finals. Then we can her where Fisher signs next year....at least until the team sucks and he decides he needs to leave for "personal reasons"

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post: