Thread: Isiah Thomas is back on your TV as an analyst for NBA TV

Default Isiah Thomas is back on your TV as an analyst for NBA TV

I hope they don't expect Larry Bird to guest appear anytime soon

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...st-for-nba-tv/

Isiah Thomas is back on your TV as analyst for NBA TV

Kurt Helin

Dec 19, 2012, 12:45 PM EST

5 Comments

As you read this story, a lot of you will be testing out the mute button on your remote (something I tend to reserve for the Spurs broadcast team). But hear me out, this may not be a bad thing.

Isiah Thomas is going to be back on your television as a studio analyst for NBA TV, the station (run by Turner Sports) announced Wednesday. He will make his debut Friday night as NBA TV shows the Bulls vs. Knicks.

First off, itís better than giving him a Knicks front office job again.

Thomas had a stint as a television analyst before, working for NBC from 1998-2000, before returning to the coaching ranks. Iíll be honest, I have little to no memory of how he did in that role.

But he has the potential to be good in studio. What are the requirements for that job? First, have good basketball knowledge. And no matter what you want to say about Thomas front office guy he is a Hall of Fame player who coached in the NBA and knows the game. Next, heís charismatic (well, James Dolan thinks so). The question is can he pass that knowledge along ó can he watch Joakim Noahís play Friday night, see something and turn it into an insightful comment that helps us understand what is going on? We shall see.

Thomas has a bad rap online because he was a horrific GM for the Knicks. And ran the CBA into the ground. And was a mess as a college coach. And a few other things. All well deserved, we have certainly had our fun with Isiah here over the years. And will again.

But so long as he isnít given personnel control over studio hosts, he should be fine. Iím willing to give him a chance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Isiah Thomas is back on your TV as an analyst for NBA TV

Oh god. The last time he was a TV talking head, Doug Collins had to prop him up.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I must've blocked that out...

Maybe he's improved I mean it can't be worse than his coaching.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only thing i remember from Thomas' stint as a commentator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTzcVcyJGA

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Why can't this guy just go away. How does he even get jobs still?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

I thought he was decent in the booth; better than he is at his other jobs.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought he was decent in the booth; better than he is at his other jobs.
    Same here. He did all the Pacers games in the Finals too, IIRC. I liked him much better than Bill Walton or Snapper Jones.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

He had no business coaching or managing. This was definitely a better fit. I wish him well.
    LeWade are going down.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Find it interesting that most Pacers fans can't acknowledge the fact that Thomas was a solid coach for us. He may have failed elsewhere, but most of our young players developed extraordinarily well under Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Find it interesting that most Pacers fans can't acknowledge the fact that Thomas was a solid coach for us. He may have failed elsewhere, but most of our young players developed extraordinarily well under Thomas.
    Most Pacer fans (and NBA GM's for that matter) can't acknowledge it, because they're right.

Thomas was blessed with an incredible amount of talent while in Indy...yet he couldn't even beat Jim O'Brien's sad Boston team in the playoffs. Both coaches are former coaches for very good reasons.
    LeWade are going down.

It's true.

Thomas got a lot of flak for his handling of Austin Croshere, but I always attributed those problems to Austin far more than Zeke. Nobody else got anything out of him, either. His numbers actually went DOWN under Carlisle.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Yes, Artest has a massive meltdown under Isiah, then under Rick he stops "developing" and becomes DPOY and makes his only AS appearance. JO takes a run at MVP under Rick after "learning" with Isiah. And Tinsley finally gets his work ethic criticized with a benching for Kenny Anderson.

They freaking LOST ALL STAR CENTER BRAD MILLER and won 13 more games with Rick. You might as well say that Paul, Roy and Danny are all what they are now all due to the great teachings of JOB. And if it weren't for Bob Hill Reggie Miller, Rik Smits and Dale Davis would have sucked.

A player is young, then he gets older. A coach has the HC job of the team that player is on. A player will naturally improve regardless of the HC, or might fail regardless of the HC, so just JO becoming "not 20" anymore doesn't prove Isiah taught him how to be a great player or taught a great brand of ball or did something special with "poor" talent.

Isiah very clearly lucked out when the Pacers pulled off 2 great moves - Dale for JO which gave the team a replacement defender for Dale and a replacement go-to scorer to replace the retired Rik. And they turned Jalen/Best into Artest/Miller with both on the cusp of being all-stars.

So Isiah "magically" got 4 all-star starters to the first round of the playoffs. Dude was totally bad a** at coaching.

No. We just all assumed that with Rik and Mark gone and Dale traded for unknown JO that the team would be in rebuild mode for awhile. But they were putting out Miller, Rose, Harrington and JO that next season. Reggie was still youthful enough to be big time, Rose was in his prime, JO and Al were just getting past their college age era and becoming men in the NBA instead of HS kids on the bench. They still had Best, Foster and Croshere which made for a not shabby bench.

The next year they added "good Tinsley" which filled the one major hole - pass-first PG. You get a 8 APG PG with those other 4 and you win 42 games? Oh wait, not those 5 because with 28 games left you swapped Rose/Best for Miller/Artest which means Isiah stumbled to another 1st round knock-out with a lineup of Good Tins, Reggie, AS level Artest, AS level JO, AS level Brad. I mean it's a miracle he kept that roster afloat. So raw and crap, he honed their games.

If it was only this then maybe, but Rick had similar results in DET and DAL. Meanwhile Isiah's only other result is the worst era ever for NYK basketball. There is no comparison. One is a great coach, the other a horrible coach. It's not a positive quality to waste a brilliant instant talent reload like the Pacers pulled off after the Finals, just like it wasn't a positive for Bob Hill to do the exact same thing before Larry Brown came in, just like JOB wasn't "stuck" with bad players because Vogel went +500 with the exact same roster.

I like to acknowledge ALL THE EVIDENCE, not just "well guys on the team went on to not suck, so I guess that proves Isiah was a good teacher".

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

So the Pacers essentially revamp their entire roster after the Finals run, and you guys were expecting playoff wins right away? Didn't we have one of if not the youngest team in the league by Thomas' second and third year? Yes, it turns out those teams ultimately had several all-star caliber players, but you can't sit here and tell me Thomas didn't have a role in develooping JO, Tinsley, Artest, Harrington, Foster, etc. I disagreed with many of his substitution patterns, but Thomas gets way too much heat for what happened in 2003 with the amount of injuries and personal/family tragedies that hit our team. Yes, Carlisle was able to come in a win right away with this group, but without Isiah developing many of these players like he did, 60 wins doesn't happen IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    If it was only this then maybe, but Rick had similar results in DET and DAL. Meanwhile Isiah's only other result is the worst era ever for NYK basketball. There is no comparison. One is a great coach, the other a horrible coach. It's not a positive quality to waste a brilliant instant talent reload like the Pacers pulled off after the Finals, just like it wasn't a positive for Bob Hill to do the exact same thing before Larry Brown came in, just like JOB wasn't "stuck" with bad players because Vogel went +500 with the exact same roster.

I like to acknowledge ALL THE EVIDENCE, not just "well guys on the team went on to not suck, so I guess that proves Isiah was a good teacher".
    Wow. What a great post. I only quoted my favorite part of it. Zeke is lucky to have a job even associated with the NBA after his performance as a coach and GM.
    LeWade are going down.