Thread: Netflix

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Netflix

Anyone have Netflix? Is it worth it? My wife wants to get it

Default Re: Netflix

I don't have it but you can try it for free for a month. I know a lot of people who have it and love it.

You need to have a fast enough internet connection to stream movies and shows. Keep that in mind. You might also consider Hulu. Netflix is for more of watching movies while Hulu seems to have a more in-depth, up-to-date selection of TV shows/series.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I subscribed to Netflix for several years before everything changed. I don't subscribe anymore, but I suppose it still has its uses for a lot of people.
    When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed -MM

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

We've been subscribers for years. Started streaming-only last year. Come to think of it, we havent used it in about a month. And really haven't used it much lately. It is nice to have, so we won't getting rid of it anytime soon. It's worth the small fee. I've watched (and enjoyed) movies & documenteries that I normally wouldn't try just because it's pre-paid and I can turn them off without feeling guilty. I recommend Family Video if there is one near you. We pay the $10 per month and get movies half off. It's nice to get bluray movies and PS3 games for $1.50-$2 and Netflix can take a minute to get the newer stuff. But yes, try Netflix.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikD. For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was a Netflix user for a year/year and a half before they split up the disk services and the streaming only. However, for the price that you pay, it's a pretty good deal. I used it more for TV shows than anything, you can plow through stuff on there in no time and it saves you from buying entire seasons on DVD. Once they split the services, we cancelled but I've thought about going back in the future, especially once the new Arrested Development episodes are released on there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Have had Netflix for over a year now.

If you like watching tv shows, then it's perfect. They have a lot of shows available to stream. If you want to watch the latest movies, it's a pain waiting for those DVDs.

Thinking about cancelling until they start streaming new movies. I hate having to do DVD and streaming. I just want to stream. What a pain.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would definitely suggest trying HULU or HULU plus as well as netflix.

If you have (or know someone who has) an .edu email account I think HULU even does 1 month free.

I used to love netflix, and even swore by it in college. Netflix really soured me with many things, the biggest being the total lack of communication and the stupid attempt to split netflix into two companies.

That said, I loved it when I had it. My big suggestion would be to make sure you have time, otherwise you are wasting money hard core. If time is a problem, (at one time I was on the 5 DVD at a time, and when I first got into Sopranos I was going through almost 15-20 a month) then I would suggest going another route, maybe redbox. When I stopped netflix I was on the 3 unlimited plus streaming, and normally 3 sat for a whole month where the last couple of days I would try to watch one movie.

Lastly, when I left streaming sucked. I have friends who tell me it has gotten better, but I really had high hopes for netflix streaming. Clearly netflix lost out on some kind of contract, because to be blunt the content has sucked

Netflix lost the Starz streaming contract in February I think, but even then, it's still got a good selection of old school tv shows. I'd like to see maybe a contract with Showtime for Dexter and Homeland, but even so, I like what I have with their streaming service.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

I think Netflix just got Disney movies.

Anyway, I've had Netflix for many years now with only brief suspensions of my account when I knew I wasn't going to use it.

For the last few years I've been streaming-only for $8 a month, and I think at that price it's worth having even when I don't use it much. It's the same reason I keep Hulu Plus (also $8 a month). Between the two, when I do find free time it makes my Apple TV pretty versatile; I can look for content on Netflix and Hulu, or if I want to check out something more recent I can opt to pay to rent through iTunes a new release.

Anyway, speaking specifically of Netflix, the content continues to be spotty or lacking, but at the same time there are still plenty of gems in there as well with regards to movies and television shows. I think the more you are into mature shows (like Breaking Bad) the more likely you will find things you like.

I recently got my sister to try it, but she's in mommy mode and doesn't want to watch anything dark, and on the family and kid front it appears to be more dearth in selections. Although, again, they just recently made a deal with Disney, so that could be different now.

On the whole, I definitely recommend at least trying it. If nothing else, that will let you decide for yourself if there's enough content to satisfy you and to also see how well your Internet connection can handle the streaming video.

Fortunately, I have a fiber optic ISP and it's solid as a rock 95% of the time, and the times it is not I believe are either router issues or server-side issues, meaning it's them, not me.

But usually it's great and looks very good.

It's getting to the point where I think in another decade we won't use optical discs for our movies anymore. If everyone goes high-speed fiber, eventually the infrastructure will be there to where we can just quickly download or just stream movies that are 100% bluray quality (or 4K or whatever is the trend by then) without the need for a storage medium. That's starting to come into existence on a more primitive level via iTunes; I pay $25 a year for iTunes Match, and now any song or video I buy or redeem though iTunes, I have the right to re-download it to any capable device as many times as needed. Eventually, the quality will go up to where it's the same quality as a blu-ray.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Netflix lost the Starz streaming contract in February I think, but even then, it's still got a good selection of old school tv shows. I'd like to see maybe a contract with Showtime for Dexter and Homeland, but even so, I like what I have with their streaming service.
    My wifes and I love it for Law and Order SVU, and I agree it has a decent selection.

I guess I just had higher hopes

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    My wifes and I love it for Law and Order SVU, and I agree it has a decent selection.

I guess I just had higher hopes

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

It's the best deal on the internet. The British TV drama and documentary selection is really good. I get the $7.99 streaming deal and I love it.

If I understand the Netflix deal with Disney (which doesn't start immediately but whenever Disney's current contracts expire) is that they will be exclusive content to Netflix for not just streaming but Pay TV channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc). Pay channels will not have them. IOW, if you want to see the latest Disney release you'll have to have a Netflix subscription... just having a premium subscription for your cable won't be enough. I would assume PPV won't be affected though...
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

I know they have at least some of the Disney stuff already in there because I watched a little bit of the Fox and the Hound last week.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    I know they have at least some of the Disney stuff already in there because I watched a little bit of the Fox and the Hound last week.
    I think the key here is 'exclusive' as well as the fact they will be getting the Disney stuff and not Pay TV like HBO or Showtime, etc...

IOW, they've changed the game from the way we've always known it - PPV release, then DVD release, then Pay TV release, then Broadcast and/or Standard Cable TV release. So, if I understand the deal correctly, even if you subscribe to all Pay TV movie channels, to watch Disney you're going to need a Netflix subscription.

Personally, I don't like these kind of deals. I didn't like it when the movie channels all started making deals with the studios and content became exclusive to one network or the other. The consumer doesn't win in these deals.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    That's from an old deal. The new deal is for first run Disney movies and isn't in effect until 2016.