Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not getting overly belligerent about this as you are. Not sure "holier than thou" and ignorant are really great responses to what I said. And wearing a different sock color is completely different than blatantly plugging your sponsor and violating a league policy multiple times.

Are you saying it's okay to break policy if he's getting paid more money by his sponsor to break the policy??? That would only further PROVE he's 'bout the $$$!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    no. Your the only one saying he only cares about "dat money". Therefore implying he is getting more to wear adidas over nike.

And actually, along with te color codes i know other guys have been fied for not wearing reebok or whoever the sposor was back then

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    Well that's not even an issue. Of course the players all agree to in their contracts to wear the apparel of whatever company the NFL decides. This isn't the NBA dress code where players can decide to wear Armani suits or Brooks Brothers or whatever.

And the point of my post is exactly the issue: Nike isn't paying hundreds of millions of dollars to the NFL if the biggest stars are allowed to wear whatever they want to post game news conferences or on the field during warmups or the game.

There's a reason why when the NFL switched from Reebok to Nike, you didn't see some teams still running around in Reebok.
    I have a thorough understanding of contract law. It doesn't matter if Nike paid the NFL a trillion dollars. If the NFL doesn't have an agreement with RGIII barring him from wearing non-Nike apparel, he can wear whatever he pleases and they cannot fine him.

But the fact is, they can fine him so they have an agreement that RGIII signed and therefore should be adhering to. This is nothing more than business and RGIII is breaching an agreement...and the NFL is exercising its legal right to fine him.

Edit: The real point has nothing to do with the amount of money Nike is giving the NFL. If the NFL simply wanted all its players to wear Nike for its image, they could put that clause in the contract with a penalty for breach. That's the only thing at issue here. RGIII chose to breach a contract with the NFL and there was a penalty clause they exercised. Nothing more to it.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 12-22-2012 at 05:08 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    no. Your the only one saying he only cares about "dat money". Therefore implying he is getting more to wear adidas over nike.

And actually, along with te color codes i know other guys have been fied for not wearing reebok or whoever the sposor was back then
    Most care about "dat money", so RGIII is no different. Also, there's nothing wrong with breaching a contract. If he in fact makes more money wearing Adidas...which may be true since he breached, good for him. If the NFL wanted to stop him from doing that, they should have written something else harsher into the contract. For example, expulsion from the league. This stuff really isn't all that hard.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I miss contract law.

I still dread those "When is the contract technically enforced" if it is sent by party A at 5:01 via fax and received by party 5 via fax at 5:54

That was back when I wanted to be a sports agent and I dreamed of contract law. I was never normal

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I have a thorough understanding of contract law. It doesn't matter if Nike paid the NFL a trillion dollars. If the NFL doesn't have an agreement with RGIII barring him from wearing non-Nike apparel, he can wear whatever he pleases and they cannot fine him.

But the fact is, they can fine him so they have an agreement that RGIII signed and therefore should be adhering to. This is nothing more than business and RGIII is breaching an agreement...and the NFL is exercising its legal right to fine him.

Edit: The real point has nothing to do with the amount of money Nike is giving the NFL. If the NFL simply wanted all its players to wear Nike for its image, they could put that clause in the contract with a penalty for breach. That's the only thing at issue here. RGIII chose to breach a contract with the NFL and there was a penalty clause they exercised. Nothing more to it.
    I agree with this completely. My only point was whichever posters were questioning if in fact there was something in the players' contracts regarding this. I didn't have an actual contract to point to or an article spelling it out as a source, hence my "proof" being the millions of dollars Nike pays the NFL. There's obviously repercussions players face whether its covering up the swoosh or a player wearing orange gloves. And it's up to the NFL to decide when and how to punish.

so basically RGIII is supposed to hate money. Sounds reasonable.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post: