Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

  1. #1
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...2_a8&eref=sihp

    Not sure this makes Nike look great exactly.

  2. #2
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    So this is the second time? They're just letting him know they're watching. I would bet that eventually RGIII is going to make them fine him a TON of money. I'm sure the 10g fine doesn't even come close to making a dent in what Adidas is paying him to wear their apparel. They'll have to make it unprofitable for him to stop running the risk.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Nike's not the one that fined him. They are the ones that paid the NFL billions of dollars to be their official outfitter though. The league gets billions to wear Nike, RG3 gets millions to to wear adidas. Don't blame either side really, just the league protecting their sponsors.

  4. #4
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    RG3 is revealing that he's all about the money. And Nike isn't fining him; the NFL is. They have the deal with Nike.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    RG3 is revealing that he's all about the money. And Nike isn't fining him; the NFL is. They have the deal with Nike.


    And for all we know, like Nike did back for Jordan, maybe Adidas is paying his fine.

    It's all a marketing game.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Honestly, this is stupid on both sides. I hated when NBA players got all up in arms about the dress code when it was enforced a few years ago, every other job has a dress code pretty much why not you?

    The brand doesn't so much bother me, so that is my issue here with the NFL. I don't know. Don't blame RGIII, blame the corporations involved.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, this is stupid on both sides. I hated when NBA players got all up in arms about the dress code when it was enforced a few years ago, every other job has a dress code pretty much why not you?

    The brand doesn't so much bother me, so that is my issue here with the NFL. I don't know. Don't blame RGIII, blame the corporations involved.

    I blame RG3 for not just taking the damn jacket off for one day while you are at work.

    That said, the NBA only stopped Jordan by threatening to suspend him 1 game per indicent. Because Nike was paying all of his fines

    Make no mistake, this has nothing to do with maturity or "only caring about money", though if you reach far enough I guess anything makes sense.

  10. #8
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,335

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Both sides are right and I get it. At the end of the day though fining someone about what he's wearing, and we're talking about a sports environment here, because it's not the brand of the League (but another one) is somewhat ridiculous. At least it sounds so.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    And for all we know, like Nike did back for Jordan, maybe Adidas is paying his fine.

    It's all a marketing game.
    Tons of players have marketing deals with companies. You don't see them breaking the dress code to plug their sponsor.

    It isn't the first time he's had an apparel incident. He's obviously conscious of what he's doing; you don't put tape over the Nike swoosh on accident. To say he's not about the money is pretty naive --- just look at these incidents in conjunction with his many commercials. He's striking while the RG3 iron is hot, makin' dat $$$.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-20-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,335

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    It all gets to be a confusing mess. Example... for a couple of years Peyton would tell me he wouldn't sign Sports Illustrated magazines and that it was part of my job to let fans know. Told many disappointed people this who wanted him to sign an SI Cover... Then the next year I start out with the no SI autograph routine and he says it's ok and signs them all. Never did know if some kind of contract expired to allow him to do this or if he simply changed his mind.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,044

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It all gets to be a confusing mess. Example... for a couple of years Peyton would tell me he wouldn't sign Sports Illustrated magazines and that it was part of my job to let fans know. Told many disappointed people this who wanted him to sign an SI Cover... Then the next year I start out with the no SI autograph routine and he says it's ok and signs them all. Never did know if some kind of contract expired to allow him to do this or if he simply changed his mind.
    Love these little stories. Thanks.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tons of players have marketing deals with companies. You don't see them breaking the dress code to plug their sponsor.

    It isn't the first time he's had an apparel incident. He's obviously conscious of what he's doing; you don't put tape over the Nike swoosh on accident. To say he's not about the money is pretty naive --- just look at these incidents in conjunction with his many commercials. He's striking while the RG3 iron is hot, makin' dat $$$.
    Actually. Tons have. I gave one example when the legendary Michael Jordan did it.

    But your right. Satan.....I mean RG3 is the only one to ever do it. Hes the only one who tres to "make dat money".

    There is plenty if naivety goin on in this thread, but it syre as hell isnt coming from me

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,312

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    RG3 is revealing that he's all about the money. And Nike isn't fining him; the NFL is. They have the deal with Nike.
    Because there aren't enough eye rolling faces in the world for this statement and vapacersfan only put 3, I feel like I should at least double it.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  22. #14

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I blame RG3 for not just taking the damn jacket off for one day while you are at work.
    There ya go.

    He KNOWS that he'll get fined if he doesn't wear NFL approved stuff. Plain and simple. Pretending to ignore the system is just a bit ........... well .......... you put your own word in. And that's what he is.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because there aren't enough eye rolling faces in the world for this statement and vapacersfan only put 3, I feel like I should at least double it.
    What part of that statement is incorrect?

    Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  25. #16
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,430

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    While it bothers me that RGIII or any other athlete cannot wear what they want...I suspect he signed a contract with the NFL and that was one of the terms. Only because of this reason would I side with the NFL. Honestly, I don't like the idea of the NFL controlling the cash like that. But I suppose it is their league. Kind of mixed emotions here...

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  27. #17

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While it bothers me that RGIII or any other athlete cannot wear what they want...I suspect he signed a contract with the NFL and that was one of the terms. Only because of this reason would I side with the NFL. Honestly, I don't like the idea of the NFL controlling the cash like that. But I suppose it is their league. Kind of mixed emotions here...
    That's not how it works though. Nike pays the NFL millions of millions of dollars to be the official apparel of the NFL. Other sponsors pay millions of dollars every year. The tv deals for CBS, FOX, and NBC alone pay the NFL $3 billion dollars a year to show these games because companies are willing to pay hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars for ads.

    The point is, without these ads and sponsors, the NFL isn't as profitable, the teams aren't as valuable, the owners aren't as rich, and as the trickle down continues, the players don't make as much either.

    The RG3 thing is pretty silly but it's accomplishing one thing, it's getting the Adidas brand talked about and bringing the RG3-Adidas connection together. Think about it, can anyone name Peyton's shoe deal? Tom Brady? Peterson, Rodgers, Vick, etc? Right now a lot of people can put RG3 and Adidas together, and in two months most people will have forgotten it.

  28. #18

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    And this is just silly because I seriously doubt RG3 is getting paid even a dollar more money by Adidas to stick it to Nike and stick it to the NFL. Even the fact that the Adidas brand is being talked about more because of the shenanigans, it still doesn't even move the needle of generating more awareness or sales because we're talking about a multi-billion dollar corporation. And heck, most fans of RG3 are likely buying his Nike jersey rather than an Adidas tshirt.

  29. #19
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,430

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not how it works though. Nike pays the NFL millions of millions of dollars to be the official apparel of the NFL. Other sponsors pay millions of dollars every year. The tv deals for CBS, FOX, and NBC alone pay the NFL $3 billion dollars a year to show these games because companies are willing to pay hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars for ads.

    The point is, without these ads and sponsors, the NFL isn't as profitable, the teams aren't as valuable, the owners aren't as rich, and as the trickle down continues, the players don't make as much either.

    The RG3 thing is pretty silly but it's accomplishing one thing, it's getting the Adidas brand talked about and bringing the RG3-Adidas connection together. Think about it, can anyone name Peyton's shoe deal? Tom Brady? Peterson, Rodgers, Vick, etc? Right now a lot of people can put RG3 and Adidas together, and in two months most people will have forgotten it.
    That's not the issue. The issue is whether RGIII signed an agreement and breached it. If he didn't breach an agreement with the NBA, they wouldn't be able to fine him and get away with it.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  31. #20
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not the issue. The issue is whether RGIII signed an agreement and breached it. If he didn't breach an agreement with the NBA, they wouldn't be able to fine him and get away with it.
    Thank you, and I assume you mean the NFL, but ya, exactly. Which is what I've been getting at. I don't know the agreement, but for them to be able to fine him, he's likely signed a contract. So he's out there just throwing plugs for Adidas and taking the fines. I'm sorry, but I don't see guys get fined for htis often, so to assume that "it happens all the time" is likely not true. I'm not about to go look it up because I really don't care that much, but if someone wants to enlighten me otherwise, feel free.

    Either way, it still shows me he's all about the $$$. Can roll your eyes all ya want; doesn't make it any less true.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  33. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Still an ignorant comment. Especially if we dont know if Adidas is paying him more to do so.

    Of course, what you say is fact, right? How dare anyone contradict your holy opinion. Insert as many eye rolls here as you want

    There used to be a NFL thread on Extremeskins.com that tracked every fine for unathorized apparel. I will give you a hint, RG3 was not the only one on it (he was actually in HS when that thread was created)

    I remember Stephen Davis getting fined for wearing the wrong sock colors, other guys for wearing the wrong gloves, wearing hats that were not approved, among other things.

    But please continue to tell us how RG only cares about the money.

  34. #22
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I'm not getting overly belligerent about this as you are. Not sure "holier than thou" and ignorant are really great responses to what I said. And wearing a different sock color is completely different than blatantly plugging your sponsor and violating a league policy multiple times.

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still an ignorant comment. Especially if we dont know if Adidas is paying him more to do so.
    Are you saying it's okay to break policy if he's getting paid more money by his sponsor to break the policy??? That would only further PROVE he's 'bout the $$$!

    Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-22-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  35. #23

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not the issue. The issue is whether RGIII signed an agreement and breached it. If he didn't breach an agreement with the NBA, they wouldn't be able to fine him and get away with it.
    Well that's not even an issue. Of course the players all agree to in their contracts to wear the apparel of whatever company the NFL decides. This isn't the NBA dress code where players can decide to wear Armani suits or Brooks Brothers or whatever.

    And the point of my post is exactly the issue: Nike isn't paying hundreds of millions of dollars to the NFL if the biggest stars are allowed to wear whatever they want to post game news conferences or on the field during warmups or the game.

    There's a reason why when the NFL switched from Reebok to Nike, you didn't see some teams still running around in Reebok.

  36. #24

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you saying it's okay to break policy if he's getting paid more money by his sponsor to break the policy??? That would only further PROVE he's 'bout the $$$!

    Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    And of course it's about the money, and saying that doesn't make it a bad thing or denigrates RG3 in anyway. Yeah all of these players play the game for the love of the game, but they also get a pretty nice paycheck to go along with it. Do people not think Peyton's doing all those commercials because of the money?? Because he is and there's nothing wrong with it.

    As far as RG3, I seriously doubt he's getting paid anything extra from Adidas. The amount of publicity this gets before it goes away will barely make a dent in the revenue of Adidas. RG3 is doing this as another way to get his name out there, his brand out there(not Adidas), all the while he can claim it as loyalty to his sponsor. Because if he didn't go out of his way to cover of the swoosh, 99% of people wouldn't even notice anyway.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Griffin 3 Fined 10 Grr for "Unauthorized Apparel"

    Nonsense. RG3 is the only pro athlete who is about "dat money".

    Which we know he only cares about "dat money" because he broke a rule many players have broke. I mean Jordan only stopped back in the day because the NBA threatened to suspend him one game per incident
    Last edited by vapacersfan; 12-22-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM
  2. Are Griffin and the Clippers "dirty?"
    By Midcoasted in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
  3. My friend is the "real-life" Peter Griffin ..lolz
    By Kemo in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 05:19 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •