Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default IndyStar's Greatest Sports Year

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...rts-year-ever-

I say 2006 because of the Colts' Super Bowl win
    "We want Miami"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: IndyStar's Greatest Sports Year

I agree. It's 2006 because nothing on earth could top seeing the Colts win that Championship with an epic victory against New England in the process. You also had a memorable 500 finish and the hosting of a Final Four. 2012 is definitely second with Super Bowl, Luck, IU, Pacers, BMW, Fever, ND, releasing of Manning (sad but a monumental moment) etc etc. 2010 is third with Colts Super Bowl appearance and Butler championship run with Final Four in Indy. 2000 Fourth with Pacers. You can also make a compelling case for 98 with Pacers-Bulls and drafting of Manning. It gets tough because there have been some fantastic sports years here.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-20-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It gets tough because there have been some fantastic sports years here.
    And when you think of them all.... you really have to question the marketing, or lack thereof, that has went along with these events to put them into historical context. On one hand we almost take these kind of things for granted and on another constantly hear the refrain that we're a small market, fair weather fans, and not even a blip on the sporting radar. Although in fairness I think the Colts have done a much better job of not playing the small market excuse and have instead went about their business.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

2006 is leading the vote so far as it is expected. I voted for that year too because

nothing on earth could top seeing the Colts win that Championship with an epic victory against New England in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    And when you think of them all.... you really have to question the marketing, or lack thereof, that has went along with these events to put them into historical context. On one hand we almost take these kind of things for granted and on another constantly hear the refrain that we're a small market, fair weather fans, and not even a blip on the sporting radar. Although in fairness I think the Colts have done a much better job of not playing the small market excuse and have instead went about their business.

What don't you think was marketed well enough?

Like you said, the Colts marketing has just been tremendous. Never once do you hear them whine about being in a small market or anything like that. They go about their business with the expectation that they are going to be a an elite franchise in the NFL. That's why it's hard for me to ever criticize Irsay too much. It's clear that he wants to be on top.

The entire town revolved around the Super Bowl last year. I think that was marketed well. The BMW championship had great marketing and massive crowds. The 500 is still marketed heavily, though its lost a lot of its lore over the past 17 years.

The only questionable marketing I can think of is the Pacers.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that all of the individual events get marketed pretty well. I could be way off here but I think where Bball is going is that there could be more cooperation. It's like everyone at each of these different events and teams is very protective of their piece of the pie instead of working together to raise the level of everything as high as it could be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I would go with 1973, two championships and a final four appearance for IU. Not too shabby.

Although 2012 is technically almost over, I kind of view sport year differently from a normal year. Where for me a sport year ends when the Pacers season ends. So this year could still has a chance as we already have two championships with the Fever and IU soccer, Notre Dame football and IU men's basketball both could easily win a championship, the Colts could make some noise in the playoffs, and depending on how Granger's return goes the Pacers could be competing for a championship. Then again half of that will actually be happening in the calender year of 2013, so it doesn't really count.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd say 2006 as of now... but 2012 isn't over. You have IU, Notre Dame, the Colts, and the Pacers all capable of doing something special. The Fever already won a ring.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Actually if you want to get super picky, then the Colts Super Bowl run should count for 2007 and not 2006. We won the championship for the 2006 season, but the playoff drama occurred in the calender year 2007. By the time we won the Super Bowl in early February, we were already a month into 2007.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya, but most people regard the sport year, not the calendar year. The year that the season started.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    2006 is leading the vote so far as it is expected. I voted for that year too because
    I saw 1911 as the leader
    "We want Miami"

Like you said, the Colts marketing has just been tremendous. Never once do you hear them whine about being in a small market or anything like that. They go about their business with the expectation that they are going to be a an elite franchise in the NFL. That's why it's hard for me to ever criticize Irsay too much. It's clear that he wants to be on top.

The entire town revolved around the Super Bowl last year. I think that was marketed well. The BMW championship had great marketing and massive crowds. The 500 is still marketed heavily, though its lost a lot of its lore over the past 17 years.

The only questionable marketing I can think of is the Pacers.
    While I think the Pacers marketing in general sucks I was really talking about the city itself. I get the feeling that all these events and happenings are supposed to speak for themselves or get rolled into marketing material sent to prospective clients in some far away place.

Maybe I'm just biased because of the number of Pacers fans I've heard bemoaning fair weather fans, small market, can't compete for FA's, yada yada yada and think of them as more of the voice of the general populace. Maybe the city needs to promote itself and its sports accomplishments internally as well as externally?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I saw 1911 as the leader
    When i posted, it was 2006. Don't know how it progressed afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    When i posted, it was 2006. Don't know how it progressed afterwards.
    I'll go see now
    "We want Miami"