Thread: NFL.com: Greg Jennings doesn't see a Packers return in 2013

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL.com: Greg Jennings doesn't see a Packers return in 2013

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...return-in-2013

When Greg Jennings went down with a groin injury early this season, the Green Bay Packers quickly and efficiently moved on without him.

Randall Cobb took the next step in his career, while James Jones emerged as a touchdown machine. When healthy, Jordy Nelson has been as productive as ever. Once Aaron Rodgers' favorite target, Jennings returned to a lineup that didn't necessarily miss him.

Jennings is a free agent after the season, putting his Packers future in serious doubt. Jennings was asked if he believed he'd be back in Green Bay during a Tuesday appearance on the "Double Coverage" podcast with Steve Wyche and Mark Kriegel.

"An educated guess? ... I'm gonna lean to the 'no' side of it," Jennings said. "That's my educated guess, my personal educated guess."

Given the opportunity, Jennings would like to stay with the Packers.

"Absolutely. I definitely, if I had a choice, me, if it was just my decision, my decision only, absolutely I would be here in a heartbeat," he said. "Wouldn't want to leave at all, but obviously it's two sides, so the Packers are gonna do what's best for them and hopefully I'm what's best.

Relive every game this season online and on-demand with enhanced viewing features, including the "All-22" coaches film. Get NFL Game Rewind.
    "But, if not, then I have 31 other teams that hopefully I can show them my résumé and then walk into the door and start back over."

Jennings said earlier Tuesday on "NFLAM" that he didn't want to return to Green Bay on the franchise tag. Given the Packers' embarrassment of riches at wideout, it's difficult to imagine the team going down that road.

I think this could be a great target to add to the Colts stable of receivers. Jennings, Wayne, Hilton, and two athletic tight ends? Sounds pretty good to me.

Mood

Default Re: NFL.com: Greg Jennings doesn't see a Packers return in 2013

If we could somehow steal him away from Green Bay we would have one heck of a receiver unit. I think I am more excited about next year's free agency and our freed up cap space. We should be able to add several impact players to both sides of the ball.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I dunno, based on past signings adding FA WRs over 30 way more often than not ends up a bad thing. Free agency in general often times doesn't work out at all. Football's just a system specific sport it's so much easier/better to draft a guy that fits and coach him up in your specific system. I'm sure the Colts'll drop money on guys this offseason but I hope people don't get their hopes up too much.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Rather use the funds on O-line or defense
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rather use the funds on O-line or defense
    The OL has to be a priority by first looking at the free agency and then if they don't find someone they are interested in,the draft.But a good established wide receiver will be greatly welcomed and Jennings might be a good case for us.Right now we mostly rely on Wayne and Hilton and Reggie isn't getting any younger.It all depends of course on the money he will ask.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    The OL has to be a priority by first looking at the free agency and then if they don't find someone they are interested in,the draft.But a good established wide receiver will be greatly welcomed and Jennings might be a good case for us.Right now we mostly rely on Wayne and Hilton and Reggie isn't getting any younger.It all depends of course on the money he will ask.
    The money he will command is important. I don't really know much about market value for NFL players, it's a lot harder for me to gauge than with NBA players. But wheher it be Jennings or another wide receiver, I think a second solid receiver would be good to add in if he's at the right place. The NFL is a sport I try to just watch and enjoy, and I tend to not get so caught up in the roster workings as much. But Jennings caught my eye and I think an established receiver to line up opposite Wayne would be nice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Me personally i think we are fine with Receivers Reggie, Hilton, Avery is an above average starting 3 so no idea why people want us to spend money on something that's not really a need when we have much other pressing needs like fixing the O-Line and D-Line.
    Last edited by Hypnotiq; 12-21-2012 at 04:29 AM.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

I also like what I've seen out of Brazill.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

13. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Me personally i think we are fine with Receivers Reggie, Hilton, Avery is an above average starting 3 so no idea why people want us to spend money on something that's not really a need when we have much other pressing needs like fixing the O-Line and D-Line.
    Don't think many people want to spend heavy and primarily on a wide receiver. Yes The OL IS a priority. But when a good player like Jennings is available and if you can get him in a good price without creating cap hell, is it not worth it?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want to spend a ton of money on a receiver right now. I think that would be a terrible decision. We have plenty of WR talent to succeed in the next couple of years and there are far more pressing needs. The number 1, 2, and 3 priority needs to be fixing that O-Line. Luck as a young guy was able to make a lot of plays on his feet this year and compensate, but sometimes the bad line is just too much for him to overcome. He needs more security next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I don't want to spend a ton of money on a receiver right now. I think that would be a terrible decision. We have plenty of WR talent to succeed in the next couple of years and there are far more pressing needs. The number 1, 2, and 3 priority needs to be fixing that O-Line. Luck as a young guy was able to make a lot of plays on his feet this year and compensate, but sometimes the bad line is just too much for him to overcome. He needs more security next year.
    Why not both?

This isn't a either or decision since the COlts will have roughly 43 million in cap room. The Colts FA's for next year that you would want to possibly keep are all going to be marginal salary cap hits. Butler, Vaughn and Powers being the DB's and Powers is probably the odd man out. On the O-line you have McGlynn which should be resigned and Reitz should be as well just for depth if anything else. Justice would be the guy I would replace if he doesn't he have a cheap contract in comparision to whats available.

The D-line your looking at paying for another OLB to replace Freeney and that is where I see a BIG contract. You also have Antonio Johnson and Moala which are both marginal players that won't get a huge contract.

The question becomes what should Greg Jennings get? This always comes down to the value of the market and the demand. Bowe is probably the best wr that will be on the market and he will want Vincent Jackson money with one less year. Thats roughly a 11 million dollar cap hit. Now compare that to what Reggie Wayne got which was 17.5 over 3 years. Obviously Reggie took a home discount but he also out performed his contract. Greg Jennings value would be around 4 years 34 million which is around 8.5 million per year. Garcon type money essentially and given his health concerns and the market I could see him finding a rough market for his services.

Now you said we have plenty of WR talent and we really don't IMO. Avery is a FA and really the second best guy is a rookie. The Colts are 3 deep and 2 are rookies and only one I marginally trust will pan out as a number 2 (Hilton). Now say if the Colts face injuries and we would be thined out quickly which is something the COlts are fortunate it didn't happen this year.

Greg Jennings stock is low and Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowes are not. They will set the market but Jennings is really a value veteran in the mold of Wayne and this is really important to keeping Luck upright and confident in his decisions.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is if Arians will leave for a head coaching gig. IF he does then this will make it more important to sign a WR like Jennings.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.

The colts will have to spend a lot of FA money next year but the focus should be on value and depth. Too many holes to fill for this team to go trophy hunting. Andrew Luck is your playmaker so improve the offensive line enough that he can stay upright and also so you can run the ball in short yardage. Improve the defense enough that you can get other teams off the field on third down & give Luck maximum opportunities to make a play. Do this and we may not see the backslide that often happens for teams when they have to play a tougher schedule.

In my mind the priority has to go like this. Interior offensive line. Nose Tackle. Pass rusher. Safety. Right tackle. Skill positions.

Obviously if you can get a smoking deal on a guy like Jennings you probably do it but I don't see that happening. Value guys I like for the skill positions next year are Domenik Hixon from the Giants, Johnny Knox from the Bears & Chris Ivory from the Saints.

I seriously hope Arians gets a head coaching offer next year because his play calling is atrocious and I want him gone. Why all the vertical throws that require Luck to set in the pocket behind that abomination of an o-line? Why did did the Colts draft tight ends in the 2nd & 3rd round and then barely make them part of the offense? I didn't like Arians when he was here before and he has done nothing to change that opinion this season.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

jake long