Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Butler Basketball

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 Butler Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a chance Brandon Miller comes back as the assistant head coach. That would be huge for recruiting.
    It's official. Brandon Miller is back. Pretty excited, he knows the Butler culture, and I think he's one of the better young assistants available.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    It's official. Brandon Miller is back. Pretty excited, he knows the Butler culture, and I think he's one of the better young assistants available.
    Brandon is a good dude as well...

He was also supposed to be a great recruiter at OSU. This is a great pickup for the coaching staff. I hope Willie Veasley will be the new DOBO and can be a part of the coaching staff.

I hope we get a center from JUCO or a play right away transfer. That's the one thing I'm really worried about next year.

I hope we get a center from JUCO or a play right away transfer. That's the one thing I'm really worried about next year.
    Size at center is definitely going to be an issue it looks like otherwise.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

didn't one of the assistant take a job down south and took Archey and Nored with him? that any worry? I know Nored wasn't on the staff, but losing 2 assistants isn't ever good.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    didn't one of the assistant take a job down south and took Archey and Nored with him? that any worry? I know Nored wasn't on the staff, but losing 2 assistants isn't ever good.
    Matthew Graves took the job at South Alabama.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...returns-Butler

It'll hurt, but Miller seems like he's more than qualified for one of the lead assistant jobs. I'm wondering if there's someone else that could land Archey's role like a Joel Cornette. We'll see. Veasley and Hahn have been mentioned, but they seem a bit ripe for now.

Didn't really know where to talk about Blueitt, but since most of our discussion about him has been in here, chances that you guys think Schilling going to UCLA could impact his recruitment?

Also, has anyone else seen PJ Thompson from Brebeuf play? Solid quick scoring PG, a little undersized, but I think he could run Butler's system, plus he is the PG on the loaded Spiece AAU team featuring, Lyles, Lyle, Bluiett and Blackmon. I hope Brad offers him.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Didn't really know where to talk about Blueitt, but since most of our discussion about him has been in here, chances that you guys think Schilling going to UCLA could impact his recruitment?

Also, has anyone else seen PJ Thompson from Brebeuf play? Solid quick scoring PG, a little undersized, but I think he could run Butler's system, plus he is the PG on the loaded Spiece AAU team featuring, Lyles, Lyle, Bluiett and Blackmon. I hope Brad offers him.
    Brian Snow from Scout said Schilling won't affect Bluiett. I would have been surprised if Bluiett left the Midwest. I'm still very confident that Butler will end up getting Trevon.

I saw PJ Thompson play when he was a freshman. He's just too small IMO. I doubt he'll get an offer. One, Butler has 2 or 3 spots and are in good shape for Trevon Bluiett and Shane Hall who are both 4 stars, and second I think Chris Chiozza from Tennessee is Stevens' top point guard prospect. He is small as well but has been getting big interest. Offers from VCU, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech, and Missouri. If Butler doesn't end up getting Hall and Bluiett I think he'd be in line to get an offer. Thompson seems like an Aaron Brennan-size prospect. Brennan is a big man from Guerin in Noblesville, and he's very good, but he's not physically a high-major player.

Brian Snow from Scout said Schilling won't affect Bluiett. I would have been surprised if Bluiett left the Midwest. I'm still very confident that Butler will end up getting Trevon.
    It's really hard for me to believe an elite level recruit's high school coach taking an assistant's job at UCLA won't affect that player's recruitment.

I still think Butler has a very good, probably the best, chance to get Bluiett but it's no longer a nearly done deal in my eyes.

-Lance Stephenson

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if incoming walk-on Michael Volovic, ends up playing a bigger role than his status, as a walk-on, would suggest.

You don't lead your team to consecutive 4A state titles in Indiana as a point guard, if you can't play. Especially when you consider the dearth of high level of talent those Carmel squads had around him.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 04-11-2013 at 11:34 AM.

For full disclosure I went to Brebeuf for high school so I've seen PJ several times as I've gone back for games. He is small, but I would say about 5'10" or so. He is stronger than his height though, and has solid handles and a good jumper. I'm not overly concerned with his size especially at the college level, size at the 1 is nice, but not a requirement.

I just think he would be a really great fit at Butler and AFAIK he would like to go there. He had some crazy scoring games this year, 38 of Brebeuf's 60 points against Tech in a win. He put up 40 on a team from Illinois in the Indiana vs Illinois challenge, and he shot above 50% for the season I believe.

Agreed on Volovic though.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 04-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Sandi Marcius has officially requested his release from Purdue. I assume he's going to go overseas to try and make some money but since he's grauated he'll be elgible to play next season if he decides to keep playing here. Butler really ought to at least see if he has any interest in using his 5th year. He'd be a great addition. Not that he's a great, or really even good, player but he's exactly the type of body that is needed with next year's group.

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if incoming walk-on Michael Volovic, ends up playing a bigger role than his status, as a walk-on, would suggest.

You don't lead your team to consecutive 4A state titles in Indiana as a point guard, if you can't play. Especially when you consider the dearth of high level of talent those Carmel squads had around him.
    I'd love to see Volovic contribute but he seems a bit redundant with Alex Barlow's relative emergence.

It's always nice to have those kids on your team who are just pure winners though and clearly Volovic seems to have that in spades. A pretty amazing high school career overall.

-Lance Stephenson

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I'd love to see Volovic contribute but he seems a bit redundant with Alex Barlow's relative emergence.

It's always nice to have those kids on your team who are just pure winners though and clearly Volovic seems to have that in spades. A pretty amazing high school career overall.
    Well Barlow is going to be a junior. It might take a couple years, but I don't think its a given that Volovic will not be a factor at some point just because he isn't getting a scholarship next year. He may be a walk-on, but he's also a 2 time state champion, and an Indiana All-Star.

Really the fact that he would walk-on to Butler, speaks volumes about how far Butler's program has come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Well Barlow is going to be a junior. It might take a couple years, but I don't think its a given that Volovic will not be a factor at some point just because he isn't getting a scholarship next year. He may be a walk-on, but he's also a 2 time state champion, and an Indiana All-Star.

Really the fact that he would walk-on to Butler, speaks volumes about how far Butler's program has come.
    Volovic seems like a winner, I just worry if he can guard anyone. Barlow plays because he defends well. A guy like Smeathers has shined occasionally offensively, but he'll never play consistent minutes until he shows he can guard anyone.

I like how people here think we are one of the frontrunners on Blueitt. I figured we were in the conversation but wasn't as high on our chances.

Volovic seems like a winner, I just worry if he can guard anyone. Barlow plays because he defends well. A guy like Smeathers has shined occasionally offensively, but he'll never play consistent minutes until he shows he can guard anyone.

I like how people here think we are one of the frontrunners on Blueitt. I figured we were in the conversation but wasn't as high on our chances.
    FWIW the guy who first broke that Miller was coming back and Archey & Nored were going to Alabama as well as Alford to UCLA said Butler was in the lead. @G2_Blog on Twitter I think.

I have been more confident since Bluiett talked to Elijah Brown on Twitter about an open gym during Brown's visit.

FWIW the guy who first broke that Miller was coming back and Archey & Nored were going to Alabama as well as Alford to UCLA said Butler was in the lead. @G2_Blog on Twitter I think.

I have been more confident since Bluiett talked to Elijah Brown on Twitter about an open gym during Brown's visit.
    That would be an absolutely huuuuuuuuuge get for the program. I hope Bluiett highly considers it because he could absolutely be "the man" here.

David Woods@DavidWoods0076h
    RT @KyleNeddenriep Butler's Brad Stevens and Michael Lewis out at Park Tudor today for Trevon Bluiett. Northwestern and Cincinnati also in.
    Stevens is on the prowl.

Blueitt is so important, not only for Butler, but also for Stevens. Blueitt will check one of the last boxes on Brad's resume. We already know he is a good talent evaluator and has found some steals, but he needs to land a big fish so to speak. I hope it happens for him especially if it keeps Trevon out of the B1G

http://www.tmnews.com/stories/2013/0...mns.632261.tms
    Brad Stevens’ aim is true
    By BOB BRIDGE bob@tmnews.com
    May 4, 2013

BOB BRIDGE

BEDFORD — Butler coach Brad Stevens spoke in Bedford Friday.

“Five players on the floor functioning as one single unit: team, team, team — no one more important than the other.”

— Norman Dale

It is hardly atypical for a basketball coach to expound on the topic of character.

Heck, it’s pretty much standard operating procedure.

But when Brad Stevens describes, with such honest-to-goodness humility, those commendable qualities that have propelled Butler University’s basketball program to such elite status during his six seasons as head coach of the Bulldogs, you know he means it.

No rhetorical spin here. The honesty resonates.

Not only does Stevens inspire fuzzy thoughts about college basketball, he makes you proud to be a Hoosier.

Stevens was the guest speaker at the Bedford Area Chamber of Commerce’s Friday luncheon at the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence County. The capacity crowd packed into the club’s gymnasium could not have been more attentive, more absorbed in the message Stevens so capably conveyed.

This was the kid who left Eli Lilly to pursue a career in coaching, led the Bulldogs to runner-up finishes in the NCAA Tournament in 2010 and 2011, then rejected a ridiculously generous offer from UCLA to remain here in the Hoosier heartland.

Steve Alford, who had been locked into a long-term contract at New Mexico, leaped at the chance to lead the Bruins, who John Wooden guided to 10 national championships from 1964 through 1975, a year before Stevens was born.

In March, Alford signed a seven-year, $18.2-million contract with UCLA.

Why did Stevens, the Bruins’ first choice, decline such a profitable proposition?

What on Earth could inspire such loyalty to a small school routinely regarded as a mid-major?

Though a self-proclaimed numbers guy, Stevens sticks steadfastly to the core values that ground and guide him.

“I’ve been fortunate to latch onto the right people,” he said. “That’s the most important thing as you start a career.”

Stevens explained his affinity and passion for basketball are deeply rooted in his Hoosier heritage.

“Just watching the people who played and coached in this neck of the woods had a great influence on a kid from Zionsville,” he said. “I can remember when they moved the state championship to the RCA Dome so Damon Bailey and BNL could win the thing there. That was such a cool thing. I’m thankful to all the people and all the moments that helped shape my passion for basketball.”

But passion alone cannot explain Butler’s uncanny success.

“We’ve had really good players,” Stevens explained, “and we’re really connected, and that goes well beyond the kids on the team at the current time.

“Players come back to campus. They are invested in our program. Long before I got here there was a way of doing things, a foundation set in place.”

So, what makes Butler go?

“We have a pyramid by which we make a lot of our decisions,” Stevens said. “It reminds us what we are about.”

Character is at the base of Butler’s four-tiered triangle.

“It is the foundation of our program,” Stevens said. “It’s based on the values on our wall, and they are very Biblical in nature. I’m talking about passion, unity, servitude, humility, thankfulness, and accountability.

“Our guys can recite those. That’s how we analyze ourselves and our team on a daily basis. We don’t expect our students to be perfect, but we do expect the right intent and we expect them to embrace those values.”

Preparation constitutes the second level of the pyramid.

“Tony Dungy has had a huge influence on me,” Stevens said of the former Indianapolis Colts head coach. “He sent me a text message when we were getting ready to play in the Elite Eight. It said: ‘Chance favors the prepared man.’

“I shared that with our guys 24 hours before the game. The hype machine already had kicked in, and there was every reason to be fully distracted. But we knew the right thing to do was to prepare well, and we had the right type of character guys on the bus.”

The third tier of the pyramid is performance under scrutiny.

“Not many guys that age are willing to put themselves completely out there for something they believe in,” Stevens said. “But the people with the courage to lay it all on the line, to give their best even though it may not be good enough ... those are the people who have great success.”

To capitalize fully on courage, Stevens explained, “players must learn to focus on the task at hand. He noted too many people are concerned with what’s next rather than what’s now.

“Do your job well and people will recognize it,” he said.

Results reside at the top of the Butler pyramid.

“We’re all judged based on results,” he explained. “People know Butler has great students who care about each other, who can communicate their visions, and who are excited about being student/athletes at Butler. They know this because our guys won and someone handed them a microphone. They had to win first.

“Unfortunately, that’s how it works. I don’t like it, but then I don’t argue with the salaries they pay coaches.”

As a leader and mentor, Stevens steers clear of long-term aspirations.

“People ask me if I have a goal of where I want to coach someday,” he said. “Are you kidding me? I’m coaching at Butler, and I think it’s hilarious that could happen.”

Stevens encourages his players to focus on being excellent in the pursuit of the big prize.

“Sure, we want to win a national championship,” he explained. “We want to represent the team well, and graduate with as good of grades as we possibly can. We shoot for those goals every day.”

To date, Butler’s aim has been remarkably true. Not only are Stevens and the Bulldogs connected at the very core, their values are stirring others to reconsider their visions of what college basketball could — and should — be.

O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Gordon said he will “more than likely” take a visit to Butler on Tuesday. He said Purdue has also been in contact, although he’s unsure if he’ll visit there.
    “Butler, that whole thing kind of just came about today,” he said Friday night.
    The reason for Gordon’s transfer is to get closer to home, where his family can see him play and he can see his younger brother in high school. His older brother, Eric Gordon, played one season at Indiana and is now in the NBA with New Orleans.

He added that he hasn’t researched Butler well enough yet to know the roster makeup, but plans to in coming days.
    “I think Butler is also another good place to play,” he said.
    Evan Gordon, who average 10 ppg for Arizona State, is looking at IU, Butler, and Purdue as possible transfers to get closer to his younger brother in high school. He's a middle child, and the younger brother of Eric Gordon.

It seems like IU may be the frontrunner, but he wouldn't be a bad guy to have as he can play both guard spots and has some experience. It would probably help take some of the pressure off Castro.
    Last edited by PR07; 05-11-2013 at 12:13 AM.

We would offer an immediate starting spot which IU probably wouldn't. Worth a shot.

Evan Gordon@EvanGordon1029m
    Tough decision ahead can't beat Butler University style of play and the Master Program oh yeah did I forget the Big East hmmmmmm tough

Evan Gordon@EvanGordon107m
    I'm looking for a Masters Program that helps me become a GM, college or NBA coach and or a trainer both schools have a prestigious programs
    Sounds like we're heavily in the running...