Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Butler Basketball

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 Butler Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't be shocked by anything from a first round exit to an Elite Eight appearance.
    They just have to make inside shots to open up Clarke, Dunham, Stigall on the outside
    Smothered Chicken!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked by anything from a first round exit to an Elite Eight appearance.
    Right now I've got you guys going out against Marquette, but like you I wouldn't be shocked by anything.

Just in general this is probably one of the most, if not the most difficult time I can remember having with predicting a bracket. It has really been a *****.

My final 4 in the bracket I finished is Louisville, Wisconsin, Georgetown, and IU, but I honestly don't even know how I really got there. Especially with Gtown and Wiscy, they were just kind of there. So much inconsistency from teams or I guess you could just spin it as a lot more good teams that a lot of these picks are really tough.

Heck, I had no idea how bad Florida looks when you just draw them up on paper. Terrible rebounding team with no wins on the road or on a neutral court against top opponents. I have them losing in the first round right now just for ***** and giggles.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Butler's statistical secret weapon

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-co..._a10&eref=sihp

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Stuff like this is why this program and staff are so easy to like. They are innovative in their own way but more importantly within the context of being innovative still do the job the right way and treat people the right way.

Sure beats the "lets live on the ragged edge of the recruiting rules and recycle our 5-star kids who likely won't evolve as a human being in the least during their time on campus" way of doing things. AKA "The Kentucky Way" or the "The Syracuse Way".

LETS GO!
    Smothered Chicken!

Good win after shooting so horrendously. Obviously they can't shoot like that against a good team.

Barlow is so good defensively right now. Almost Aaron Craft good. If he could just hit a couple of open threes against Marquette that would open up so much for the Dawgs offense.

Smith was really good as well and will need to be for Butler to keep dancing.

Clarke was huge in the game. Also 25-28 at the line helps too
    Smothered Chicken!

If we don't hit shots like we did against Bucknell, we won't beat Marquette. We have to get Clarke or Dunham going from outside because it makes this team so much better. Defense was outstanding however. I haven't seen anyone rotate that well in years.

Tomorrow's game will come down to the boards. We have a huge advantage against them rebounding-wise. Marshall, Smith, and Woods will be the keys. I'm optimistic because all 3 are playing way better than they did when we played them in November.

You guys will beat Marquette tomorrow. They are dying to be "upset."

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You guys will beat Marquette tomorrow. They are dying to be "upset."
    Good start for a Big East rivalry.

The oustanding team defense and effort on the boards is a must but I also agree that in order to win today and keep dancing someone needs to step-up and hit a high % of perimeter shots. Clarke should be that guy. He is the senior and can figure out how to get open looks when he needs to. Smith could also surprise if the Marquette big men don't follow him out behind the arc. I don't see Dunham getting it done. His confidence is shot right now.

My gut feeling is that if the Dawgs can be within four at the 3-minute mark they will win today.

Defense just wasn't there in the second half and until the last 2-3 minutes it seemed like Marquette got every loose ball. The seniors basically let the team down at the end. Clarke forced things and Smith made mistakes.

In the second half of the year this team has really seemed to play tight against good competition. Probably because the talent wasn't as good as past teams and they felt the need to play perfect basketball.

Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Defense just wasn't there in the second half and until the last 2-3 minutes it seemed like Marquette got every loose ball. The seniors basically let the team down at the end. Clarke forced things and Smith made mistakes.

In the second half of the year this team has really seemed to play tight against good competition. Probably because the talent wasn't as good as past teams and they felt the need to play perfect basketball.
    Seniors didn't let anyone down. That team wouldn't have even been in the game had it not been for Rotnei putting the team on his back in the first half, and Smith's solid play (including some clutch late free throws).

This is one of the tougher losses we've had because we played well enough to win, and it looked like we were with two minutes left to play. Credit Marquette for battling back, but it seemed like the usual breaks that we got in terms of loose balls, fortunate bounces, etc. in prior tourney runs all seemed to go Marquette's way last night.

Despite all that, we still had a chance to tie or take the go-ahead with 2 seconds left, but I don't know what happened on that inbounds play...but it was awful.

Stevens said they switched on defense and they ran the zone play against a man defense. Just a simple misreading. Good job by Marquette.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Seniors didn't let anyone down. That team wouldn't have even been in the game had it not been for Rotnei putting the team on his back in the first half, and Smith's solid play (including some clutch late free throws).

This is one of the tougher losses we've had because we played well enough to win, and it looked like we were with two minutes left to play. Credit Marquette for battling back, but it seemed like the usual breaks that we got in terms of loose balls, fortunate bounces, etc. in prior tourney runs all seemed to go Marquette's way last night.

Despite all that, we still had a chance to tie or take the go-ahead with 2 seconds left, but I don't know what happened on that inbounds play...but it was awful.
    Notice I said at the end. I'm not questioning them as human beings or even basketball players. Overall they both had a good tournament. Problem is the difference between winning and losing a close tournament game for a team with underwhelming depth and talent is usually how well the 4-year type guys keep their poise and execute at the end. It happens. Especially against good, fundamentally sound teams like Marquette.

I thought Hugo Chavez was dead so I was very surprised to see him coaching Marquette last night...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Notice I said at the end. I'm not questioning them as human beings or even basketball players. Overall they both had a good tournament. Problem is the difference between winning and losing a close tournament game for a team with underwhelming depth and talent is usually how well the 4-year type guys keep their poise and execute at the end. It happens. Especially against good, fundamentally sound teams like Marquette.
    Rotnei Clarke was getting double teamed in the second half. He forced the airball shot because he was the only one that was hitting shots. It's just as much on the other guys, as it's on him. Smith also hit some big free throws late and had a huge layup from a Kampen hail mary pass. I'm sorry I'm not buying this. The team won and lost as a team, had nothing to do with the seniors not stepping up late or wilting under crunch time.
    Last edited by PR07; 03-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Stevens is staying put at Butler. Can't say enough about the guy and his loyalty. Loyalty is a forgotten thing in sports these days(all about money for most people) so this shows just how classy he is.

He has a chance to build something great at Butler University. You have one of the best cities in the country, one of the best basketball talent pools to recruit from in the Midwest, and the Fenway Park of College Basketball in Hinkle Fieldhouse to play in. It shows he's not about the money nor the prestige, he's about building something special himself.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    He has a chance to build something great at Butler University. You have one of the best cities in the country, one of the best basketball talent pools to recruit from in the Midwest, and the Fenway Park of College Basketball in Hinkle Fieldhouse to play in. It shows he's not about the money nor the prestige, he's about building something special himself.
    And Butler is no longer a mid major with their impending move to the new Big East. Why leave a major conference job where you are having success?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to FrenchConnection For This Useful Post:

I was never even considering that he might leave for UCLA. If he leaves it will be only for a perfect situation.

There's a chance Brandon Miller comes back as the assistant head coach. That would be huge for recruiting.