Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Butler Basketball

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 Butler Basketball

I am a GW fan, most of our contributors are freshman (Garino, MacDonald, Larsen, Savage) with Kromah being the elder statesman and Armwood the junior transfer from Villanova. Given that the program is rebuilding I thought we played Butler decently and hopefully we're back near the top of the A10 in a couple of years. I'm surprised our press bothered you guys so much. You gotta get that under control or the VCU game will be really rough.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am a GW fan, most of our contributors are freshman (Garino, MacDonald, Larsen, Savage) with Kromah being the elder statesman and Armwood the junior transfer from Villanova. Given that the program is rebuilding I thought we played Butler decently and hopefully we're back near the top of the A10 in a couple of years. I'm surprised our press bothered you guys so much. You gotta get that under control or the VCU game will be really rough.
    We're awful against the press. VCU should be very rough. The only hope is that we have a week off before it and Coach Stevens is historically dominant when given a lot of time off before games.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They need to start winning their road games. They can win at home at will, but they go to VCU which will be a statement game for Butler
    Smothered Chicken!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    They need to start winning their road games. They can win at home at will, but they go to VCU which will be a statement game for Butler
    They've already won at Northwestern, Vanderbilt, St. Joe's, Dayton, and George Washington. Indiana, despite Tom Crean's objections, was for all intents and purposes a road win. I'd say they've already started.

The only road games left are Fordham, VCU, and UMass. Fordham should be a win. If they win out at home and split the VCU and UMass trip, they'll be sitting at 26-5 and likely the regular season A-10 champions.

They've already exceeded expectations both at home and on the road.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    They've already won at Northwestern, Vanderbilt, St. Joe's, Dayton, and George Washington. Indiana, despite Tom Crean's objections, was for all intents and purposes a road win. I'd say they've already started.

The only road games left are Fordham, VCU, and UMass. Fordham should be a win. If they win out at home and split the VCU and UMass trip, they'll be sitting at 26-5 and likely the regular season A-10 champions.

They've already exceeded expectations both at home and on the road.
    At SLU and at La Salle are games that are very winnable games. I know those are both tournament teams but those games were both winnable
    Smothered Chicken!

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    At SLU and at La Salle are games that are very winnable games. I know those are both tournament teams but those games were both winnable
    By your logic, what game is not winnable?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

That was awful.

Dawgs taking a couple on the chin now. Still probably a 4 seed or so though. Would like to be playing better than this with VCU starting to loom though.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Butler seems to play to the level of their competition. They rise to the occasion when they need to. Regular season losses don't concern me a great deal with them--when the chips are down, Stevens will have them prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Butler seems to play to the level of their competition. They rise to the occasion when they need to. Regular season losses don't concern me a great deal with them--when the chips are down, Stevens will have them prepared.
    How well we play correlates with how large the TV audience is. We play our best on CBS or ESPN.

Rotnei Clarke could not buy a basket for the first 37 minutes of the game. And he was missing open shots. Then, for some reason, he turned on a cheat code and couldn't miss. It was really weird.

The biggest issue was that they just couldn't defend inside with Andrew Smith. Charlotte was a big team and his loss was pretty evident last night.

Still, it's one they absolutely should have won.

-Lance Stephenson

Butler is looking like last year's team. Hopefully IU and Gonzaga can keep us in the tournament we don't deserve to be in right now.

You guys are playing in a much better conference. I have been watching A10 basketball for 10 years and this is arguably the best that this conference, which is probably better than the Horizon League is every year, has been since I started. Fordham is the A10 doormat most years but would probably be an average Horizon League team.

The turnovers are still troubling. Late free throw shooting is still troubling. The fact that both Jones and Marshall have been really inconsistent lately is troubling.

On the bright side I'm seeing signs that the defense is coming around. Smith and Clarke are now healthy.

You never know but I still see this team as a legit Sweet 16 group. Just too many solid juniors and seniors with tournament experience. If both Jones and Marshall are playing well and Clark is hitting shots maybe Elite 8.

The tournament is such a crapshoot that any team that is able to get an at-large can make a run, especially this year and ESPECIALLY with Brad Stevens at the helm. However the offense will have to improve greatly for that to happen. I am in favor of starting Dunham over Barlow at this point. The spacing on the floor with Clarke and Dunham gives Smith and Marshall the best chance to score, and I would also have Roosevelt handling the ball and initiating the offense. He's turnover-prone but on this team, who isn't? There needs to be a change and Clarke coming off screens would be a great new wrinkle in the offense.

Stevens won't be afraid to make the necessary changes. He started Vanzant at PG over Nored and that took us to a Final Four. He had Gordon Hayward take the ball up and that took us to a Final Four. I hope Devontae Morgan can get some PT in blowouts to see if he can be a ballhandler.

I like the idea of the offense going through Jones. That was happening early in the season and Clarke was playing off the ball (think IU and Victor chasing him around screens all day) a lot more. It puts lots of pressure on the defense because Jones can get into the lane and create and Clarke can get good looks when the defense collapses.

As for Barlow & Dunham I think the Dawgs need to play the match-ups. If they need to match-up against a really good point or combo guard Barlow and his on the ball defense needs to be on the floor. If the primary ball handler is someone that Clarke can check then by all means put Dunham and his ability to spread the floor out there. Both are really good defensive rebounders and for this team that matters.

I also have a lot of faith in Stevens having this team ready in March. Just hope they win enough games between now and then to maintain that good seed.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Very, very big game tonight for Butler. Basically a must win if they want any chance at the A-10 title. St. Louis is really good. I thought when they blew out Butler at home it was a bit flukish in that they couldn't miss and Butler couldn't buy a bucket. Then they did the same thing to Dayton. And to Richmond. And Charlotte. And VCU. They've got to be one of the hottest teams in the country right now. Even if they lose tonight, they deserve to be in next week's top-25.

-Lance Stephenson

Getting worried about the tournament.

Teams are just making it a point to shut down Rotnei Clarke and force someone else to beat them. Dunham had it going in the first half, but no one else really got going the entire night. Jones was able to get to the line a lot late but he has to make free throws.

SLU is a good team though. Coached well by former University of Evansville's Jimmy Crews. They're big and defend well, and their backcourt's quickness gave us a lot of problems. Wouldn't surprise me if they do some damage in the tournament and should be ranked come the beginning of the week.

We really need to beat VCU next weekend. The pressure is on.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Teams are just making it a point to shut down Rotnei Clarke and force someone else to beat them. Dunham had it going in the first half, but no one else really got going the entire night. Jones was able to get to the line a lot late but he has to make free throws.

SLU is a good team though. Coached well by former University of Evansville's Jimmy Crews. They're big and defend well, and their backcourt's quickness gave us a lot of problems. Wouldn't surprise me if they do some damage in the tournament and should be ranked come the beginning of the week.

We really need to beat VCU next weekend. The pressure is on.
    They have to shoot 40% or better from 3 or they won't win games. Also Jones needs to make free throws because he drives so much, he'll get fouled so much. Missing 12 free throws won't help either
    Smothered Chicken!

Hinkle renovation floor plan and renderings.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I will not miss those wood bleachers. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I will not miss those wood bleachers. At all.
    It will definitely sell more season tickets to have chairbacks instead of crappy benches. That plus the LED signage on the jumbotron and in the corners, this seems like a very good financial move by the university.

Also, cool picture of Hinkle from 1950

Big East next year!