Thread: 2012-2013 Butler Basketball

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2012-2013 Butler Basketball

This team is for real
    "We want Miami"

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 Butler Basketball

Someone mentioned that Stevens is a logical successor to Coach K at Duke, I think Stevens has created a new version of Duke in Butler.

IU is the only other school in the nation he should consider leaving for.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone mentioned that Stevens is a logical successor to Coach K at Duke, I think Stevens has created a new version of Duke in Butler.

I fear that at a point, there will be an offer that is both too good for Brad to refuse and too weathy for a school of Butler's size to match.

I think he makes a shade above $1 million a year now. It seems that's about the top of the possible pay scale seeing as the basketball team has to support the entirety of the athletic department but perhaps with the increased corporate dollars from the Hinkle renovation and more importantly conference television dole from whichever conference Butler winds up in, he can get that up to nearly $2 million in the future which is at least in the ballpark with the elite coaches in the NCAA.

If that happens, then I think it could make sense to him to say, "I can stay here, at home, for as long as I please." Because he has as much job security at Butler as Kryzewski has at Duke.

But if it is decided that he can't really get any more from Butler than what he's making now, and a Texas comes in offering a 5 year $25 million or something like that, it's going to be hard to say no.

And if I'm Texas, I'm drawing up that contract offer right now.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I fear that at a point, there will be an offer that is both too good for Brad to refuse and too weathy for a school of Butler's size to match.

I think he makes a shade above $1 million a year now. It seems that's about the top of the possible pay scale seeing as the basketball team has to support the entirety of the athletic department but perhaps with the increased corporate dollars from the Hinkle renovation and more importantly conference television dole from whichever conference Butler winds up in, he can get that up to nearly $2 million in the future which is at least in the ballpark with the elite coaches in the NCAA.

If that happens, then I think it could make sense to him to say, "I can stay here, at home, for as long as I please." Because he has as much job security at Butler as Kryzewski has at Duke.

But if it is decided that he can't really get any more from Butler than what he's making now, and a Texas comes in offering a 5 year $25 million or something like that, it's going to be hard to say no.

I don't think texas is that job...Duke UNC or UCLA (seems goofy but I think it's a better job) and IU seem like better jobs.

If Butler is in the new Big East in a couple of years, hopefully that will be major enough. He has already proven that he can win at Butler. He's turned down a bunch of money to big conference schools. If he leaves it will be Duke (I think they will stay in-house after Coach K retires), Indiana (I think Crean will be there for a long time), UNC, or UCLA. The big advantage is that he's an Indiana person and so is his family. He's also done enough at Butler that he will be the face of the school forever.

#19 in the AP and ridiculously #25 in the coaches poll. In the Coaches Poll Butler is ranked below UNC, who lost to Butler and a team Butler beat. Whatever it makes our win look better.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I don't think he will leave Butler until he wins a championship there
    "We want Miami"

People thought that if Matt Painter left Purdue a couple years back for Missouri, that Stevens will go to Purdue
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    I don't think texas is that job...Duke UNC or UCLA (seems goofy but I think it's a better job) and IU seem like better jobs.
    I was just thinking of schools which could realsitically offer him the most money in college basketball while also potentially needing a new coach. Texas has more money than anybody and Rick Barnes clearly isn't the answer.

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    People thought that if Matt Painter left Purdue a couple years back for Missouri, that Stevens will go to Purdue
    Don't see that happening...he is reminding me more and more of mark few. I hope for gods sake if he does it's for a substantial bump, purdue right now isn't that.

I was just thinking of schools which could realsitically offer him the most money in college basketball while also potentially needing a new coach. Texas has more money than anybody and Rick Barnes clearly isn't the answer.
    I don't think it's all money. I think he wants to win, which you can do at Texas but he knows he can win multiple national titles at these other schools, at a cash cow where basketball is the second option...do you think that's his idea of a bump up?

I really want him to stay at Butler, and go down as like an iconic legend. Apart from how great a coach he is - he's just so likable. And I will forever associate him and those finals teams with my undergrad days.

It will be a very sad day, to me, if/when he leaves.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think it's all money. I think he wants to win, which you can do at Texas but he knows he can win multiple national titles at these other schools, at a cash cow where basketball is the second option...do you think that's his idea of a bump up?
    He has a chance to win multiple national titles at Butler, and nearly already did. I'm sure he thinks he could do that at Texas too.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Don't see that happening...he is reminding me more and more of mark few. I hope for gods sake if he does it's for a substantial bump, purdue right now isn't that.
    Matt Painter makes more than double Brad Stevens.

I think it would take more than that and I don't think Purdue is realistic but it is a substantial bump.

-Lance Stephenson

He has a chance to win multiple national titles at Butler, and nearly already did. I'm sure he thinks he could do that at Texas too.
    Texas is the biggest sleeping giant in basketball in my opinion. You put Brad Stevens in Austin, I'd be stunned if they didn't win a title within a 7 years.

-Lance Stephenson

I don't think it's all about money for him. I hope I wasn't insinuating that. Clearly it isn't. He's already turned down quite a few significant raises from other places. I'm looking at you Oregon, Illinois, Wake Forest, etc. I just believe there is a threshold where the money becomes too much to turn down. Couple that with a place that has the resources to provide a major winner and it's going to be a very, very tough decision.

-Lance Stephenson

What percentage of program revenue is Stevens's salary? Is there somewhere this stuff can be found out?

Any historical cases where a school our size retained a coach on his level for the long haul?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    What percentage of program revenue is Stevens's salary? Is there somewhere this stuff can be found out?

Any historical cases where a school our size retained a coach on his level for the long haul?
    http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/18/news...fits/index.htm

I can't find up to date numbers. In 2010 Butler's reported basketball revenue was $1,729,756. Their reported expenses? $1,729,754. Seriously. Obviously, both numbers have increased pretty substantially since then but I'd guess the revenue is in the $4-5 million area. Gonzaga was a shade above $4 million in 2010 and I'd think they'd be pretty comparable. That would put Brad's salary at about 20-25% of program revenue. I can't imagine it'd be possible to increase that percentage. The best chance of offering him a somewhat competitive salary is to increase revenue. Which is why the eventual move to the Big East-ish conference that is being created, and the TV dollars that go with it, is a no-brainer.

Historical cases? Sure. Coach K at Duke and Mark Few at Gonzaga are the most obvious.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 12-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.

-Lance Stephenson

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    And those people were dumb. I'm sure Purdue would've tried, but it wouldn't have happened.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Prez Danko statement on realignment

http://www.indysportslegends.com/201...erence-rumors/

I greatly respect—and agree with—the collective conviction of the “Catholic 7” to control their own destiny or someone else will. Butler, too, has controlled its destiny proactively, for example, when it made the decision to join the outstanding Atlantic 10 Conference and through its values-based approach to athletics.

The fact that Butler is now being mentioned prominently as a potential candidate to join the “Catholic 7” universities in a new athletic league, is a tribute to the success of our athletic program overall and our men’s basketball team, in particular.

Our team has proven consistently and continuously that it is one of the very best in the nation, and that they are one of the biggest brands in men’s college basketball. This national prestige naturally leads to speculation about Butler’s athletic future.

Our administrators, our coaches, our trustees and our team will continue to do what is right for Butler and its students. Decisions will be made, first and foremost, with the University’s strong values and The Butler Way at heart. Our uncompromising commitments to integrity, to placing one’s team above oneself, and to the academic and personal growth of each of our student-athletes will remain paramount.
    Not exactly a "we're sticking with the A10."

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/18/news...fits/index.htm

I can't find up to date numbers. In 2010 Butler's reported basketball revenue was $1,729,756. Their reported expenses? $1,729,754. Seriously. Obviously, both numbers have increased pretty substantially since then but I'd guess the revenue is in the $4-5 million area. Gonzaga was a shade above $4 million in 2010 and I'd think they'd be pretty comparable. That would put Brad's salary at about 20-25% of program revenue. I can't imagine it'd be possible to increase that percentage. The best chance of offering him a somewhat competitive salary is to increase revenue. Which is why the eventual move to the Big East-ish conference that is being created, and the TV dollars that go with it, is a no-brainer.

Historical cases? Sure. Coach K at Duke and Mark Few at Gonzaga are the most obvious.
    Very nice, thank you.

A google for "Coach K salary" was completely, utterly discouraging.

The Mark Few google was better.

Has Few ever generated the kind of demand Stevens is capable of generating right now? I know Gonzaga is a solid program, but I have no idea how this guy is considered among the ranks of great coaches. Could he leave and land a top 5 salary somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Has Few ever generated the kind of demand Stevens is capable of generating right now? I know Gonzaga is a solid program, but I have no idea how this guy is considered among the ranks of great coaches. Could he leave and land a top 5 salary somewhere?
    Honestly, probably not. But I know he's turned down offers in the $2 million area. And that puts him squarely in the ranks of the elite paid coaches. Of course, Brad has also turned down such offers and I would think he'd be more likely to get an offer that leaps directly into the Cal, Pitino, K, Donovan, Izzo, etc. like mega deals than Few would.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ase/53827374/1

That is the list of coaches last year's tournament and their total pay. It's basically about what you would expect. The only one I was pretty surprised by was Buzz Williams making nearly $3 million at Marquette and Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim making under $2 million at UNC and Syracuse respectively.

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Not exactly a "we're sticking with the A10."
    No kidding. He may as well have come out and say, "of course if this league forms like we expect we're goners." And who could blame him?

While TV dollars for the college basketball regular season may be peanuts compared to football or March Madness, I'd think ESPN would pay a pretty penny for the rights to this league.

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

No kidding. He may as well have come out and say, "of course if this league forms like we expect we're goners." And who could blame him?

While TV dollars for the college basketball regular season may be peanuts compared to football or March Madness, I'd think ESPN would pay a pretty penny for the rights to this league.
    Indeed, wouldn't blame em a bit. Opposite really, I'd blame em if they DIDN'T do it. The A10's a really nice league, but it wouldn't hold a candle to this. Then down the line who knows what happens with UConn and Cincy (and Xavier might be in this league too). If the hoops program really does basically finance the entire athletic department they'd honestly be stupid not to do it.

And I think they're already there as a big time program but if/when Stevens leaves then who knows. But this happens, there's no reason for them to drop off, they'd be in a power conference in the middle of recruiting nirvana playing big time games on the reg. Stevens is getting some pretty nice recruits now, but he'd have the chance to be a player for true top tier guys.

Really, I love it for Butler, but not for Purdue. Last thing we need's another in state power.

On Butler as the new Duke, they have a lot in common, school wise, smaller private school in a basketball rich recruiting crop, but my understanding is that they don't spend nearly as much on their program as Duke. That could be a factor. Close as Butler came to wining it all, he might look at another place as a new challenge and better opportunity. Or not.

I actually think Butler will be fine long term. People forget they had a long line of successful coaches before Stevens.