Thread: Anybody had a kidney stone?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Anybody had a kidney stone?

Cramping in my back and side. Laying down, especially on my sie, seems to make it worse. Sometimes I can find a different position that makes it feel better and for the most part it hasn't bothered me much during the day. No burning pain or blood in urine yet (I had that on the left side a few months ago.

Thoughts....experiences???

Stones run in my family...if fact my mother has them so bad they had to remove half a kidney once due to adhesions. She, however, never has symptoms until it is life threatening and I'm not joking. She has gone septic once and we nearly lost her.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 12-16-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anybody had a kidney stone?

I've probably passed about 150 kidney stones in the last 10 or 12 years. I get them about once a month, sometimes as many as 4 at a time. They're brutal. Severe cramping sensation around the flank and lower back area, and the only pain medication that works for me (hydrocodone) also basically puts me to sleep. I have had some that linger long enough in my ureter that I have to have them surgically remove (and the only way to do that is through the front door, I'm sorry to have to share). The main way that they remove a single stone is using a scope and fishing it out, but if you either have one that is too big or have multiple that need to be taken care of simultaneously, another expensive option is to have lithotripsy done, but physicians will rarely use that method because I believe there is a heightened probability of damaging the kidneys or bladder.

In a nutshell, they're brutally bad and I don't recommend them. Best of luck to you.

Mood

KIdney stones suck something brutal. I have only had that one time so far and trust me it is very painful. Mine passed after a few days and I already take pain meds for joint problems so they basically told me to stay on it and if it got worse to go to the hospital. I had a little relief with a heating pad, but for the most part little to no effect.

Mood

I actually got a pretty good nights sleep last night...but am still hurting and don't really know if the pain has moved or not...it MIGHT be a little lower. I too take pain meds for the joints so I'm already there with you.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

It's now noon and I have been nearly zero pain for the last hour or so. Is this possible with a KS? When I do have pain it is in lower back (love handle) but a bit higher than that or under my ribs on the side. Can it come and go or is this something else (strained muscle in back....nah) Sorry rambling....just talking to myself more or less.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's now noon and I have been nearly zero pain for the last hour or so. Is this possible with a KS? When I do have pain it is in lower back (love handle) but a bit higher than that or under my ribs on the side. Can it come and go or is this something else (strained muscle in back....nah) Sorry rambling....just talking to myself more or less.
    Geezer, you don't happen to drink a ton of diet coke or diet pepsi do you? I started having dull pain internally in one of my "love handles". After a trip to the doc, and a scan, he asked me to stop drinking diet soda for a few days to see if it went away. Sure enough, it did.

[edit]when I say a "ton" i'm talking 3-5 twelve ounce cans per day. Yes, I needed an intervention....[/edit]
    Last edited by travmil; 12-17-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kidney stones are a little volatile in that they can cause you unbelievable pain one moment (likely caused by clogging up a tube) but can be unnoticeable the next (usually because it shifted slightly, unplugging the tube).

Mood

Nurse practioner said either kidney stone or infection and if I get slammed with pain to go to ER. Thanks. Mom doesnt have pain with hers until hospitalization is needed. Oh well....I don't hurt right now so WTH.

No..MAYBE one diet soda per day. Diet drinks affect my sugar levels just like a real coke would so I'm pretty careful with them. Now....a 16 oz glass of water with about 3 oz of Real Lemon mixed in........3-4/day, that I do.

Kidney stones don't always have to be because of what you consume they CAN be sporadic...

I had them last year. It was horrible. I was in the ER twice. They had to give me moriphine to knock me out. I have Heard of some people not having the horrible pain, so maybe you have them and the pain isn't as bad. My pain was constent. Hopefully if you have them They pass quickly and painlessly.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    Kidney stones don't always have to be because of what you consume they CAN be sporadic...
    Yeah I have overhauled my diet several times over based on what they found in the composition of some of the stones that they've caught, and it hasn't helped. I've had surgery that removed all but 1/2 of one of my parathyroids because I developed tumors that caused my calcium production to go off the charts, and that didn't correct the issue. My issue is genetic (hyperparathyroidism).

Mood

Smoley Hokes what have I gotten myself into? The pain has been gone, or almost so anyway, most of the afternoon and evening. I'm wondering if it's stone(s) moving around within the kidney and not dropping down. My 89 yer old mom has had that too. (she once had 1/2 a kidney removed due to a stone the size of the end of a chicken bone)

Mood

Pain is gone and has been since that last post. False alarm or an awakening?

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Pain is gone and has been since that last post. False alarm or an awakening?
    The calm before the storm.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had a couple when I was in the Air Force, and didn't find out what was going on until after I passed them. Gotta love the military doctors because they didn't know what was going on with me.

In the middle of June I woke up with some of the worst pain of my life in my lower back, and just thought it was my back hurting. Couldn't sleep the rest of the night and realized it wasn't my back and had to be something else. It hurt so bad that I could barely walk so I drove myself to the ER. The ER doctor said it looked like I was passing a stone and (luckily) they gave me a CAT scan anyway. Turned out my ureter was pinched just outside of my kidney and was referred to a Urologist. After all the tests and stents I had to have surgery to correct the problem while my kidney was still salvageable.

Mood

Glad that worked out ok Fliberty

17. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

It may have passed into the bladder and could be close to moving out of you. If it got to your bladder that's potentially a good sign.

Mood

Still no pain (perhaps a suprise Christmas present?)

Mood

I know this thread has been on here for quite some time but I feel like sharing my story. A year ago I was just turning 26 and I remember this sharp pain in my side then this feeling of being kicked in the balls and the pain it wouldnt stop. I try'd taking a shower to calm down, which would work when I had gallbladder attacks(note my gallbladder was taken out when I was 22 doctor said I was born with a bad gallbladder and man was that some serious pain) but not even a shower would calm my pain. So I went to lay down and the most pain I've prolly ever experienced went shooting up my whole body. I turned to my girlfriend in horror and was like "take me to the *****ing ER right now I think my opedics just burst I'm dying". Well then vomiting ensued, they rush me in and fill me with dilaudid and morphine. I felt better almost immediately but my balls still sorta felt like they have still been kicked. They told me that I actually wasn't acting that bad, that most men come in crawling in pain. Anyways they gave me 30 or so norco's(for the pain) for the week and it took me a week or so to pass/**** 7 kidney stones all very'd in size into a funnel type screen thing. I went to my check up doctors for a few months(cost started to add up, couldn't afford it). But they were gonna actually open up one of my kidney's because some were so big but I ended up passing them with little issue. Its just scary has hell, esp when its your first time because I honestly didn't think I'd ever get a kidney stone, they dont run in my family. But Iv'e stopped drinking soda and using salt on every thing. Hope I never have one again. I seriously wanted to shoot my self it hurt that bad.
    Last edited by Bury Your Dead; 12-24-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    Try hard-er or Die hard-er. In this to win it.

Mood

My sympathies. I had my first gall bladder attack at 37. It took the Drs 7 years to realize that it wasn't an ulcer. By then the single stone I had was so big they almost had to open me up to remove it. Dr. said I should have been dead the gallbladder was so infected it was slime. Hope the same doesn't happen with the kidney stone if that is what it is.