Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: DJ Augustin being shopped? Marc Stein

Default Re: DJ Augustin being shopped? Marc Stein

Oh man you guys need to follow this link. Hollinger's analysis of Augustin, Rose, and Westbrook.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...over-Westbrook

Trade Augustin to Memphis!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't pay someone to take an expiring contract. We can just let him expire if nobody wants him.
    I think you guys are missing a very important point. The trade deadline approaches day-by-day. We may want to be a player in a trade this season, but we also have to consider that the Pacers are near the tax threshold, but never appear to be willing to go over it. We may want to pick up a player that would be a little more expensive than we are trading back. If so, that may be enough to put us into tax territory and Herb might be unwilling to go there. The only way that type of trade could get done would be if we cut loose a low-end salary like Ben or find a sucker that can be enticed to take Augustin.

Sure, we can just let him expire at the end of the season. But, we may have to sacrifice a possible trade at the trade deadline as a result. Which is better? To get a player we want or perhaps the player on a short rental and the rights to him after the season if he becomes RFA, or to just wait until the end of the year because we didn't want to give up a pick or whatever to dump Augustin?

P.S.... But I have always been of the opinion that DJ is a much better player than he shows here in Indy. He just doesn't fit with our team within our offense.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    He doesn't work as an expiring contract because the Pacers don't want to take back contracts with multiple years left on them. The team has to think that he will help their team this year, or they won't give up anything we would be interested in.
    Good point. Still, I think that there are teams that will give minimum value for DJ.

Fans tend to think a lot that certain players have minimal or even negative value when that's not the case most of the time. It's quite natural because said fans watch these players night in and night out and know their weaknesses (although, often times they blow them way out of proportions).

But anyone else around the league does not watch them as often. So, they'll often try to rationalize why a player struggles. "He doesn't fit the system", they'll say. "He's having a bad stretch of games", they'll say. "The talent around him does not complement him", they'll say. That's also natural as there are several reasons why a player could struggle. Sucking is not the only answer.

Back to the point now. DJ Augustin is a proven NBA player. His years in Charlotte proved that he belongs in this league. He has the talent. For whatever reason, he is sucking here. But don't be fooled. There are still teams that are willing to give him a shot as a back-up PG.

Here are some teams that would be willing to give DJ a shot as their back-up PG:

76ers: Their back-up PG is Maalik Wayns. He is averaging 2.5 PPG and 0.7 APG in 7.2 MPG. With Jrue Holiday out, Maalik only logged in 11 minutes as Evan Turner handled the PG duties for the majority of our game against them. Royal Ivey played more minutes earlier in the season but he went down with strep and has only played 2 minutes this month.

Magic: Ish Smith is averaging 0.8 PPG in 16.7% shooting and 1.5 APG in 10.7 MPG. The Magic are currently using E'Twaun Moore as a back-up point but my guess is that they'd love a real point in order for Moore to slide back at his natural position.

Blazers: Ronnie Price is averaging 2.8 PPG and 1.9 APG in 14.6 MPG. He is shooting 32.6% so he's not terrible. But an upgrade would be nice for them as Ronnie Price has never shown the talent that DJ did when he was in Charlotte.

Personally, I believe that we can certainly deal DJ.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Oh man you guys need to follow this link. Hollinger's analysis of Augustin, Rose, and Westbrook.

Man, reading that article and the subsequent thread was just amazing. Thanks

Too bad that we cannot necro those threads

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Yes it is 3.5 for this year, which is just nauseating considering his 400,000 3rd stringer has now surpassed him in the depth chart.
    I've never been an Augusitin fan, mainly because of his lack of size. But he has to be a better player than he's shown here. If not, then he must have picture of Michael Jordan with farm animals.

There has to be a team with a combo-guard they want to trade for a PG.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    How about sending him to Butler for Clark?

There was a great and long article about Clark in the Star today.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if they are also shopping Green an his horrible contract, I expect to hear rumors of him in the next 3 years.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are also shopping Green an his horrible contract, I expect to hear rumors of him in the next 3 years.
    I wouldn't mind Green back to NJ (probably have to add a pick) for Marshon Brooks, I don't think the Nets use him to his potential while Green did really well for them last season.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Makes me wish Hollinger had landed a job with the Bulls, Lakers or Knicks instead.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I wouldn't mind Green back to NJ (probably have to add a pick) for Marshon Brooks, I don't think the Nets use him to his potential while Green did really well for them last season.
    We're not using Green to his potential either. So, essentially we're flipping up two bench players that we don't use right. I see no reason for a pick to be included there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I'm usually a Hollinger defender, but man that draft analysis was full of fail. He missed on the stars, he missed on the guys he didn't think would be stars, and he missed on the sleepers too! George Hill was mentioned in the "better update that passport" section together with a bunch of no-names...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

As for Augustin being shopped, I'm sue we'll find a taker if we're willing to take back a longer contract. Say one of Minny's extra PGs (Barea or Ridnour).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post

I'd love to have Marshon Brooks, but that trade scenario won't work due to salaries not working. Nets would have to add 2 mil in matching salary in another player. The Pacers taking back 2 players would be over the 15 limit roster. They'd either have to cut Ben or cut the salary filler player.

I looked at trying to create a trade scenario last week where the Pacers could end up with Brooks, but had no luck.

What is Barea paid? Could be a good fit. Haven't followed him much, but it seemed like despite Hus size. He plays pretty decent defense. Wrong?
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    As for Augustin being shopped, I'm sue we'll find a taker if we're willing to take back a longer contract. Say one of Minny's extra PGs (Barea or Ridnour).
    Alexie shved has really impressed me from minny. Hes more of a combo guard, but does have good vision. Wonder if we can pull off a trade for him since Rubio is now back.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like both of these possibilities. It'll cost us something in addition to DJ: cash, a pick, Pendy, that new scoreboard but I feel like either one of those guys would fit in great with our second unit. Especially Ridnour.

I did a check last night and I think there are 3 teams with trade exceptions big enough to take DJ without sending back a player. Denver, Chicago and Orlando. Maybe one of them has draft picks they'd want to send our way.

Andre milker sounds nice
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Haha miller

@LetsTalkPacers

25. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I asked this earlier.....it's been often said that PGs come to Indy to kill their careers. Both Ridnour and Barea seem to be pretty solid in Adelman's offense and one that is more "up tempo"....but how would they do under our "slow it down" offense?

Despite DJ's ineptitude on the offensive end running the point.....you have to wonder if he'd do much better if we were running a much quicker tempo offense.

GH seems to be doing well enough running our half-court offense.....but what PGs that are available are well suited to run a half-court offense?
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-16-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I did a check last night and I think there are 3 teams with trade exceptions big enough to take DJ without sending back a player. Denver, Chicago and Orlando. Maybe one of them has draft picks they'd want to send our way.
    It's cute that you think that DJ has enough value to send us a draft pick ...maybe some 3024 2nd round draft pick if we are lucky.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-16-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Found a trade where we get MarShon Brooks, Nets get D.J. Augustin, and Sam Young plus first round pick Pacers get Brooks, Jerry Stackhouse, and Keith Bogans

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    You don't pay someone to take an expiring contract. We can just let him expire if nobody wants him.
    Exactly. Why are people focused on the output when that's not what the Pacers would be dealing. The reason the Miller deal was discussed here, for example, was because they badly need to cut salary and will just about have to move one of their contracted players before next season. Denver doesn't really have the option of letting an expiring player expire, so to them there is value in moving some contract money out for some expiring deals.

Now they might be able to get more elsewhere, but DJ/Tyler gives them players that they can still use a little and then a healthy cap reduction next year. They might want a pick too, but I wouldn't do that because the Pacers can afford to not deal and just let contracts expire too.

But Ben playing was part of the DJ shopping IMO. Certainly Vogel wanted to shake things up but I also think there was exploration of life without DJ OR an attempt to prevent DJ from getting hurt while shopping him.

One thing with a Denver deal, plenty of teams can look at DJ and think he's having trouble because of the situation. This makes them see DJ as a potential steal when his play improves after leaving Indy, and they might not be wrong about that. If he doesn't work out he's still an expiring and if he does then Indy gets robbed (except they don't because he's clearly not working out here).

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I would think the Spurs would want a more experienced backup and trade Cory Joseph or Nando de Colo.

Then give them Hans for Splitter.

If only for once someone could get the best of Spurs management.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Found a trade where we get MarShon Brooks, Nets get D.J. Augustin, and Sam Young plus first round pick Pacers get Brooks, Jerry Stackhouse, and Keith Bogans
    They aren't throwing Stackhouse in any trade he is there leader. (and no im not kidding)

and he actually isnt playing bad at all a lot better than a lot he would be at this stage of his career. But it's clear that Stackhouse is vital to that team in watching the yes network and the show on NBA tv.

Spurs have much better options in house IMO Patty Mills is much better than DJ. But in the Spurs system I could see DJ playing good but money wise I dont see the fit in terms of trade assets.