89 62.68%
  • Maybe, I don't know yet

51 35.92%
  • No, he will go back to the timid Paul

2 1.41%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Paul George becoming a star?

Sports Logo

Default Re: Is Paul George becoming a star?

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and if Danny's poor start last year kept him out I don't see why suddenly things would be different for Paul.
    Danny struggled 33 games into the season. Paul only struggled on the first 15 games.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=Pacer Fan;1547234]
    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post

I don't hear what you are saying anywhere in the world...You might try to get out of your tunnel vision as the world thinks very highly of Paul and you may miss out in a lot of fun during Paul's career.
    Hey, I like PG and I enjoy watching him play. I think he is better all around than Danny Granger right now. I just don't see the all star player so many of you seem to see. I see very, very good but not a star. Perhaps that will change but when Granger returns and demands his touches, I don't think so..... ...

Please, my fellow posters, it was bad enough on the other board, but can you all try not to engage with this guy baiting some of you into conversation? He's established himself as a troll, meaning this contrarian act is insincere, so whenever you honor him by responding you're letting him win and encouraging him to continue. Please don't take that as me telling anyone what to do because it is not. But what I am doing is making a sincere plea. I'm 100% sure I'm right about this, but take it or leave it, I'll just hope for the best, and now I'll shut up about it.

As for Paul George, is he becoming a star? I don't know. He's certainly looked like one lately, but it's not been long enough yet to where I'm convinced this is the new normal. When will it be long enough to change my mind? I'm not sure. I suspect if this is what we get, say, 67% of the time between now and whenever we're done for the year, then I might be a believer then. Probably.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Please, my fellow posters, it was bad enough on the other board, but can you all try not to engage with this guy baiting some of you into conversation? He's established himself as a troll, meaning this contrarian act is insincere, so whenever you honor him by responding you're letting him win and encouraging him to continue. Please don't take that as me telling anyone what to do because it is not. But what I am doing is making a sincere plea. I'm 100% sure I'm right about this, but take it or leave it, I'll just hope for the best, and now I'll shut up about it.
    Hear hear! Listen to the man who speaks wisdom.

I'll go one step further: I encourage everyone to use the "Ignore" feature. Click on a name in the top left, view their profile, and select "Add to Ignore List."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

[QUOTE=OlBlu;1547238]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post

Hey, I like PG and I enjoy watching him play. I think he is better all around than Danny Granger right now. I just don't see the all star player so many of you seem to see. I see very, very good but not a star. Perhaps that will change but when Granger returns and demands his touches, I don't think so..... ...
    All-Star, Star, Super Star....their all bundled up into one, just depends where a player plays to be more defined!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Banned
    Mood

[QUOTE=Pacer Fan;1547243]

All-Star, Star, Super Star....their all bundled up into one, just depends where a player plays to be more defined!
    I don't agree with that. Oklahoma City is a small market team but Durant is a super star. The reason that it seems like the big market teams have more of them is because they do. The Super Stars usually wind up in LA, Boston, NY, Philly and Miami........ PG would not be a super star if he were playing in any of those cities. It might be easier for him to make an all star team from there though.... ...

I voted maybe but he's going to have to show a lot more for the remainder of the season. He doesn't stand a chance of getting in this season.
    If he becomes a fringe all star player I hope he doesn't make the team until after he signs his next contract. It would have been better for the team if Hibbert didn't make it last year, the team might have saved money and he'd have that snub to motivate him this year.

Stat-wise I think he's a fringe all-star already. Just look at those averages. Those already include the games where he's on a major slump. You can say he's already like Andre Iguodala that can do it all. His scoring has been better after struggling for so long but you have to notice how good he rebounds the ball, how great he is playing the passing lanes and disrupts plays through deflections, and how he fills up the assists column like he's a point guard. In a way if he continues to do well and if the team returns to contention, we may see his name on the all-star lineup.

Now it's still too early to say he's a star. He's just starting to bloom as a legitimate go-to guy in a starter role. He's on his way, and he'll get there if he continues to improve. He's still young and struggles will come. I really hope the bold prediction long ago that he'll be the best player in his draft class after 5 years comes true.

Draft class thing is looking plausable
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

[QUOTE=Pacer Fan;1547243]

An all-star is a defined title...

What makes someone a star or superstar is up for interpretation by all individual definers...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I voted maybe but he's going to have to show a lot more for the remainder of the season. He doesn't stand a chance of getting in this season.
    If he becomes a fringe all star player I hope he doesn't make the team until after he signs his next contract. It would have been better for the team if Hibbert didn't make it last year, the team might have saved money and he'd have that snub to motivate him this year.
    The numbers are there already and can be improved upon. What makes you think he can't make it?

Mood

Even with his slow start he has better stats than Andre Iguodala, Joe Johnson, Manu Ginobli, basically all of the usual suspects for all-star slots at SG other than Kobeand Wade.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

He's not playing much SG, though. If it comes down to him and Joe for the last spot, will what position they play make a difference (Blu seems to think so)? It seems like last year there were a bunch of SFs on the team.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 12-16-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The telling factor will be when opposing defenses start to key on him and how he adjust/handles it. But right now he looks awesome.
    I liked what I saw in the Detroit game last night, his shot was off from the perimeter, Detroits defense was double teaming him constantly, and he still managed to leave a huge footprint on the game with his playmaking and penetration, not to mention rebounding.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

when defenses start to key in on him, he will find the open man. he can create for others pretty damn well. thats why we see him with gamed where he has 5+ assists.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    The numbers are there already and can be improved upon. What makes you think he can't make it?
    His numbers are there for the past 10 games. I don't think his stats to date would get him in. I guess it's possible if he brought his average up to 20ppg and the team moved into the top 4 by the break he might get in. I don't think it would be best for the team in the long run. Let him make the all star team every year following his next contract. That's a big step and he needs to show what he has for the past 10 games for the rest of the season to convice me, but he might get there.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

If the Pacers are a 6-8 team when the reserves are picked then they will get in one of two guys - West or Paul. Paul is pressing West hard the last 7 games but in that 7th game we saw West restate his own case pretty strongly.

Now if the Pacers were a top 3-4 team in the East they could make a good case for 2 guys.

Regardless Paul is headed to AS caliber status by the end of this season which means he should definitely make the team next season. For me when I see a player have that moment, a game or two or even just a few minutes in one game, where he starts making plays that work and starts to make that connection between the idea and how it physical feels to execute it correctly, then I know he's on his way to the next level. This isn't just hitting a bunch of 3s, Paul has the game "slowing down" for him because he's had that learning moment where it suddenly makes sense to him, like a player that gets a couple of good, clean solid wood hits and can then visualize and repeat that physical process going forward. What that means is that you can't just want to do it, you have to have it happen for the first time ever and feel it, like an X Games skater hitting a new trick for the first time. Once he feels it and starts to lock it in, then it becomes natural and easy.

That's Paul's game lately. That's his cross step drive to the rim with contact, his defensive plays, his switches on defense, his touch for the 3, the whole works. I disagreed with Austin about Paul's attempted steal right before the half the other night because while you couldn't see it on TV, at the game live you could see him reading that moment way before the pass went and he almost/did make that play. I think he got fouled because he'd already tipped the pass away. Regardless it was darn close and representative of a star player who just sees plays unfolding quicker than the guys around him.

Paul is going to be slightly better than Danny, or might already be at the level given his awesome rebounding and defense. Neither he nor Danny are Kobe/Lebron type of players, but they should make a great 1B tandem.

As a sidenote it's also clear that Hill, West and Paul have recognized their new no-Danny, Roy terrible on offense, roles together and taken over the primary offensive action with confidence, and Vogel's adjusted to that as well.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

BTW, for a reality check on this situation, I pulled up a comparison on Pierce, Joe Johnson, Deng, Josh Smith, DeRozen and Paul George.

Paul leads the group in eFG%, 2nd to Pierce in True Shooting, leads in AST%, 2nd to Josh in blocks p36, 3rd in steals p36 to Smith and Pierce, tied for 1st in DEF Rating, tied for 2nd in Offensive rating, leads the group in Win Shares (and WS/48min), 2nd in rebounds p36...and while Smith is better than him in those defensive areas Josh is the worst of the group by far in offensive rating (94 to Paul's 104).

In fact Paul leads by far in Off Rtg vs Def Rtg, where his 104/98 is a +6, Deng is at +2, and the other 4 guys are at 0 or negative (Paul 0, Joe -3, Josh -4, DeRozen -8).

And if he continues something in the range of his recent pace he's going to pull farther ahead than them statistically. He's definitely going to be in the conversation.

http://bkref.com/tiny/C7HQf
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-16-2012 at 10:45 PM.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

From my eyes, the only thing that held this kid back was confidence and killer instinct.

I think he's gotten in touch with these, and is becoming good friends with the both of them.

IMO, he's not going to ever be a "get out of my way team, because I'm going to take over" kind of player. But I'm convinced that he will be a star in a team concept.

There are too many positive signs, between his stroke, his ability to rebound, and his more recent ability to facilitate offense and find the open man?

Imagine what'll happen once he puts 15 more pounds of muscle on his frame, in particular his upper body?

Are you kidding me? This guy is legit, and it's about damn time that he realized it.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Paul George in the month of December so far (yes, even including the 0 point game) are 20.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 2.6 3 pters, 1.5 stls, 1.0 blocks on only 1.9 TOs. Shooting 46.9% from the field, 44.7% from 3, and 82.6% from the line.

I'm not saying he's gonna keep that up for the entire season, but hypothetically if he did, those numbers on a winning team warrant All-NBA 2nd or 3rd team consideration. Just something to think about.

In fact, in my (biased) opinion if there were an All-NBA of December award, PG would be on the 3rd team whether he was considered a guard or a forward. (Kobe, CP3, Tony Parker, Westbook and Steph Curry being the only better guards, tied with James Harden but getting the edge because Indianas record in December is better, and Melo, Durant, Duncan, ZBo and Lebron being the only forwards, though I suppose David Lee and/or Blake Griffin might belong there too)

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SkipperZ View Post
    Paul George in the month of December so far (yes, even including the 0 point game) are 20.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 2.6 3 pters, 1.5 stls, 1.0 blocks on only 1.9 TOs. Shooting 46.9% from the field, 44.7% from 3, and 82.6% from the line.

I'm not saying he's gonna keep that up for the entire season, but hypothetically if he did, those numbers on a winning team warrant All-NBA 2nd or 3rd team consideration. Just something to think about.

In fact, in my (biased) opinion if there were an All-NBA of December award, PG would be on the 3rd team whether he was considered a guard or a forward. (Kobe, CP3, Tony Parker, Westbook and Steph Curry being the only better guards, tied with James Harden but getting the edge because Indianas record in December is better, and Melo, Durant, Duncan, ZBo and Lebron being the only forwards, though I suppose David Lee and/or Blake Griffin might belong there too)
    I could agree with part of this. Yes, you are biased. What about Wade, Pierce, Gay and a host of other players who are ahead of PG? ... reloads the whole page.

Banned

For the Pacers sake I hope he is not an all star this year, Hibbert's all star status is the main reason why the Pacers overpaid I hope it doesn't happen again.

I could agree with part of this. Yes, you are biased. What about Wade, Pierce, Gay and a host of other players who are ahead of PG? ... reloads the whole page.
    Rudy Gay Paul pierce and Dwyane Wade aren't having close to Paul George's December so far

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    For the Pacers sake I hope he is not an all star this year, Hibbert's all star status is the main reason why the Pacers overpaid I hope it doesn't happen again.
    If he plays anywhere close to how he's been playing he'll get the max and deserve it. It would be nice to get him cheaper, but unless he's goes back to being the first 15 game Paul I don't think it's realistic. I could be wrong though.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    BTW, for a reality check on this situation, I pulled up a comparison on Pierce, Joe Johnson, Deng, Josh Smith, DeRozen and Paul George.

Paul leads the group in eFG%, 2nd to Pierce in True Shooting, leads in AST%, 2nd to Josh in blocks p36, 3rd in steals p36 to Smith and Pierce, tied for 1st in DEF Rating, tied for 2nd in Offensive rating, leads the group in Win Shares (and WS/48min), 2nd in rebounds p36...and while Smith is better than him in those defensive areas Josh is the worst of the group by far in offensive rating (94 to Paul's 104).

In fact Paul leads by far in Off Rtg vs Def Rtg, where his 104/98 is a +6, Deng is at +2, and the other 4 guys are at 0 or negative (Paul 0, Joe -3, Josh -4, DeRozen -8).

And if he continues something in the range of his recent pace he's going to pull farther ahead than them statistically. He's definitely going to be in the conversation.

http://bkref.com/tiny/C7HQf
    Paul also puts up his stats on basically the slowest paced team in the NBA.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post: