89 62.68%
  • Maybe, I don't know yet

51 35.92%
  • No, he will go back to the timid Paul

2 1.41%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Paul George becoming a star?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is Paul George becoming a star?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Granger injury might be a blessing in disguise for this team. It started off horribly, but now Paul George looks like he's stepping up his game and the team is learning to play without him. I think we are starting to hit our stride and if we can make a move to even marginally upgrade the bench, we could be very dangerous once Granger returns.

As for the topic at hand--I'm still in wait and see mode. I like how he's been playing but I want to see him sustain this level of play for an extended period of time before making any proclamations.
    you know i thought this at the start of the season when we found out granger was gonna miss 3+ months. this would give PG the room to just do what he needed to do. then he started off rough and it seemed like he wasnt ready for that step yet. but now its back to, hey its PGs time.

because of that, i want to see him keep it up for the rest of the season. that doesnt mean averaging 25 for the rest of the year. but it means keeping up his shooting and being aggressive like he is now. Even when Danny returns. I want him to hover around that 20ppg mark for the rest of the year. He is a good enough shooter to, especially if he stays aggressive.

edit: as for the all star game, that would be tough. it really depends on how the other coaches look at Indiana. They know we are without Granger and struggled earlier. Will they overlook that, see that we are playing better as of late and see that PG is playing some phenomenal basketball? I mean if he keeps up the 20+ppg, he could make it. It would be hard to keep him off actually. Especially if we are pushing our record past .500 and have the division lead.
    Last edited by ilive4sports; 12-15-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CreekShow View Post
    The fans only vote on the starters though
    I guess what I was trying to say was that no matter how well a Pacer plays this year we won't get one in the ASG. Last year we had one of the best records in the league around the ASG so Roy was the representative for the whole team. This year we've struggled a bit as a team and if Danny's poor start last year kept him out I don't see why suddenly things would be different for Paul.

I could see him making the ASG if he came out flying right off the bat. He didn't and I think it's gonna hold him out come January. That's not to say he's not deserving, just that looking at the fan vote thus far I don't think George is going to get a real fair shake.

I am very excited for what Paul is doing, but to be a star you need to average over 20 ppg for a whole season and be a leader of your team. PG's star status is still a work on progress.

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    I guess what I was trying to say was that no matter how well a Pacer plays this year we won't get one in the ASG. Last year we had one of the best records in the league around the ASG so Roy was the representative for the whole team. This year we've struggled a bit as a team and if Danny's poor start last year kept him out I don't see why suddenly things would be different for Paul.
    Wasn't Danny shooting under 40% last year at the break? I remember thinking he might of made the team had he not shot so poorly. Paul's playing so much better than Danny was at this point last year even with his early struggles. I think he can make it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    I am very excited for what Paul is doing, but to be a star you need to average over 20 ppg for a whole season and be a leader of your team. PG's star status is still a work on progress.
    neither Deng or Iggy averaged 20 and made the team...

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    neither Deng or Iggy averaged 20 and made the team...
    Not a all-star, a true NBA star. Many guys have made the all-star game who are not stars.

Wasn't Danny shooting under 40% last year at the break? I remember thinking he might of made the team had he not shot so poorly. Paul's playing so much better than Danny was at this point last year even with his early struggles. I think he can make it.
    Maybe I'm misremembering it, but I felt like he had a few week stretch prior to the ASG where he had really turned the corner.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone found a video of his nearly dunk of the year over Hawes??

Saying PG is becoming a star after 7 games is as premature as saying the Pacers weren't gonna make the playoffs after the first 10 games.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I tend to say yea, he is averaging 16.5 ppg for the year, and nearly 25 ppg in his last 7, plus he is a great defender.

A star doesn't put up zero point games....... ...

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    A star doesn't put up zero point games....... ...
    Yeah they sit on the bench in Philadelphia in a suit with a size able afro.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    Yeah they sit on the bench in Philadelphia in a suit with a size able afro.

When he is healthy enough to play, he will be easily the best center in the east....... ...

It's not just his stats and his play, but even the way he's carrying himself and communicating with teammates. He is becoming the leader of this team!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

He is oozing with confidence and converting drives he used to miss...along with more consistent perimeter shooting. It's all about confidence right now. Superstar? Not yet.

Except the question isn't "Is George already a star," it's "is he becoming one?"

Doesn't the word "becoming" imply "work in progress?"
    Last edited by Anthem; 12-15-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Was Harden a star last year? Most people seem to have considered him a star. Was Reggie only a star during the few years he averaged 20+ppg, and stopped being a star when he consistently averaged 18ppg?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I think we need to take it a day at a time. Didn't Rush have a strong series of games? I know he never had this strong of showing, so I am encouraged. But this is a seven game stretch. I did not think the Pacers were as bad as they were at the start of the year, and I cannot believe that what we have seen the last 7 games is to be expected.

If Paul George needs to score 20ppg for now on he will have to get to the line more. He is still averaging 3.5 Fta a game. His hot shooting will simmer down. So getting to the line will help. And I don't know if he can consistently. That is why I don't think he is going to be a star like many think.

I could see PG getting a lot of votes fro the 2nd (coaches)team. And yes, Iggy spot would be open this year. However, with the change in the "big" man balloting, there are a lot of entries after LeBron and Melo get the first 2 spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Saying PG is becoming a star after 7 games is as premature as saying the Pacers weren't gonna make the playoffs after the first 10 games.
    I thought he'd be a star (all-star) long before this streak. This just confirms he's capable for me. If he can find some consistency he'll be a star. Maybe not a super star, but a star nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I could see PG getting a lot of votes fro the 2nd (coaches)team. And yes, Iggy spot would be open this year. However, with the change in the "big" man balloting, there are a lot of entries after LeBron and Melo get the first 2 spots?
    how does the change in the ballot affect him though? I wasn't paying attention when it was being discussed.

I thought he'd be a star (all-star) long before this streak. This just confirms he's capable for me. If he can find some consistency he'll be a star. Maybe not a super star, but a star nonetheless.
    Iggy level?
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

I should have known who would vote 3rd option /rolls eyes

"No, he will go back to the timid Paul " ..... OlBlu, tora tora 3.23%
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

I think he is becoming a star. In order to become a star, he only needs to consistently play like he has the last 6 or so games. I think this is his floor as he becomes a vet and he could get considerably better. For him to be Granger level or better, he will need to be extremely reliable when left open. He has yet to prove that to me. If he drains shots at about 80% when left open...then he should be moving toward the top of the league because he can D up with the best of them already.

Banned
    Mood

[QUOTE=Kemo;1546800]I should have known who would vote 3rd option /rolls eyes

I didn't bother to explain but since you made fun of my vote, I will. I think PG is a very good player. I don't think he is a star and I don't think he will ever become one. He has had the opportunity to show just about all that he has and that is very good indeed. I think he will move back when Granger returns because Granger is a ball dominant player who won't let PG get the touches he is getting now. If you have been reading other threads, you will find that I suggest bringing Granger in off of the bench for just this reason and because I want to see what Lance can become playing with that first unit. If they do that, PG may indeed develop even more. If they do not, he will slide back to being the second, third or fourth option on offense. ...

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

[QUOTE=OlBlu;1547227]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I should have known who would vote 3rd option /rolls eyes

I didn't bother to explain but since you made fun of my vote, I will. I think PG is a very good player. I don't think he is a star and I don't think he will ever become one. He has had the opportunity to show just about all that he has and that is very good indeed. I think he will move back when Granger returns because Granger is a ball dominant player who won't let PG get the touches he is getting now. If you have been reading other threads, you will find that I suggest bringing Granger in off of the bench for just this reason and because I want to see what Lance can become playing with that first unit. If they do that, PG may indeed develop even more. If they do not, he will slide back to being the second, third or fourth option on offense. ...
    I don't hear what you are saying anywhere in the world...You might try to get out of your tunnel vision as the world thinks very highly of Paul and you may miss out in a lot of fun during Paul's career.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."