Thread: Odd Thoughts: Welcome to the G2 zone

Default Odd Thoughts: Welcome to the G2 zone

Weíre going to open tonightís odd thoughts with an important update. Our rookie Miles Plumlee tonight had 10 points on 5-10 shooting and 17 rebounds with 4 blocks, sadly these were not his statistics from a Pacers game but it was his stat line from his game with the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants. So hopefully he is getting valuable experience and he is really showing that at least in the D league he can really rebound the ball.

Now onto the Pacers game.

Oddly enough it seemed as though David West & Roy Hibbert changed bodies tonight as David had what was easily his worst game of the season and Roy had one of his best. Iím not sweating the West bad game btw as this is truly an anomaly and I have zero expectations that he will repeat this. I mean he was missing 5 foot layups and open jumpers that he normally splashes not to mention the 4 missed free throw attempts. Whatís even more weird is that while this was his worst game he still scored 14 points and grabbed 6 rebounds, so in other words his worst game would probably be Tylerís best game stat wise this season.

You really have to give Doug Collins a lot of credit as a coach, that roster he is working with is really not that talented and he has them playing at a very high level. We won but at no point in time until the very end did I ever feel like this was in the bag. They play hard every possession and never seem to give up. Kudos to both the coach and the team.

But letís not take a thing away from Frank Vogel either. I think this season we are seeing him coach at a very high level and he has shown that he is adaptable. While he has driven me crazy at times with his usage of the bench we have seen more and more over the past few games that he will even change that up as he almost always had a starter on the floor with the bench tonight and has really limited the time he uses them. Not something that he probably wants to do but the bench being horrific has made this necessary.

But it goes beyond that, think about where our offense was at the beginning of the season and even most of last season. We were a power post offense that was going to pound it down your throat no matter what. Well Roy has struggled and Tyler has been ineffective (thatís being polite btw) so now you will notice the ball in George Hillís hands much more and we now run more plays where Paul George initiates the offense. This not only has opened up the floor for more scoring from them but since they are now drawing double teams tonight it allowed Roy a couple of times to get easy baskets off of feeds and a couple of easy tip ins because his man left to guard the penetration.

Our defense is still top notch.

What Iím saying is we have a very good coach and man does it feel good to say that after about 4 years of hell.

Is Paul George playing at an all-star level? Without a doubt he is playing at an all-star level. He wonít make it this year unless he manages to do this almost every game until the all star break but without a doubt had he been doing this all year he would have had a great chance.

As it stands weíll just have to settle for having an all-star level player (which truth be told West also fits that bill as well) playing at a very high level.

To say he is a two way player is a massive understatement. He not only put that block on Hawes at the end but prior to that he was assigned to shut down Turner who had been hitting prior to that. Not only did it work Evan didnít even get a shot up in the last 4 possessions of the game.

This is now 6 games in a row that he has been superb. A+ type games every single one of them but there is a down side to that as well. Now it is known he can do this so nights like he was having earlier in the year, in other words just 7 games ago, are not acceptable. Sure he can have an off night just like anyone but never again can we accept him just standing planted at the three point line and settling for contested fade away jumpers. He has to be aggressive and he has to attack the rim.

On another note he was just inches away from the dunk of the year, probably honestly the best dunk ever laid down by a Pacer and from baptizing Spencer Hawes into the religion of Paul George. Iím pretty sure I heard people in my section speaking in tongues after that dunk attempt anyway. Had he hit that Iím not sure the east end of the field house wouldnít have collapsed from the after boom and Nick Youngís afro wouldnít have parted into dreadlocks.

Speaking of which Andrew Bynum must now be officially listed as 7í8Ē tall as that hair is rising like the mushroom cloud over bikini island.

Great game, great win and if the fates favor us we might actually have a three game win streak if we can pull this off tomorrow.

Letís do some grades.

David West: B-

Couldnít hit water from a boat tonight and Thad Young is not really a matchup defensively that favors him. Also he was one half of the duo that botched the end of the first half debacle. He made two bad passes that ended up costing us 4 points but he wasnít 100% to blame. However he kept working on the glass and he is such a threat that the opposition can not leave him to double away from him so he still helps even when his shot is not dropping. He has carried us all season; we can forgive him this one off game. Nobody btw was more upset by his shots not dropping than he was; he looked constipated after every missed shot.

Paul George: A+

Simply amazing. There is not a lot to add to what everybody else is saying about him over the past few games but the one thing Iíll say is that at one point he split a double team to get to the basket that was frankly reminiscent of none other than Kobe Bryant, it was that good.

Roy Hibbert: A

Hit his shots, grabbed a lot of boards and while he didnít have multiple blocked shots I can tell you he certainly affected a lot of shots (as he does every game). Kwame (I canít believe itís not butter) Brown attempted to use his sizeable girth to push Roy off the blocks and just body him up all game long. It didnít have the impact he was hoping for. Roy was able to work around him all night and each of their backups had no hope of stopping Roy, Hawes was able to hit his face up jumpers but on defense Roy just killed him.

Gerald Green: D

No they werenít all happy days. I knew his night was going to be off when in the layup line he went 1-11 at one point and missed 3 shots within 5 feet with no one guarding him. Naptown Seth keeps telling me to believe but I just donít see it. Honestly he is the wing player on our team that I trust the least. I donít think Sam Young is all that great either but Iíll take him any day over Green at this point. Maybe heíll turn it around but I just wonder when.

George Hill: A+

The G2 connection had it going tonight for sure. How do you not give an A+ to a triple double and a big game clinching three point shot? You know no matter how he shoots all game long I always trust him at the end of the game with the ball his hands, he is just an ice cold killer.

Tyler Hansbrough: B

Started off like a ball of fire collecting physical rebounds immediately upon entering the game. Still canít hit that face up jumper (unless itís fed to him by Ben I guess) but did his usual one handed flailing sort of hook shot and both of them actually dropped tonight. Good activity when he was in, it was a little surprising that he didnít get some more time but once again Frank is leaning on the starters more each game. Not sure how long he can do that to West but weíll take the win and run with it.

Sam Young: C+

Other than his George Gervin type 8í finger roll attempt that rolled out he played within himself not trying to do anything he shouldnít be doing. Even that finger roll looked good till it rolled out. Honestly in the grand scheme of things I never feel good talking about salaries because itís so subjective in terms of value but I think that Sam is a very good bargain for what he is being paid.

Ben Hansbrough: I (incomplete)

Circumstances dictated that he get very few min. on the floor tonight and the few min he was on were mostly non consequential because while they were pressuring him with on the dribble he effectively passed off a couple of times to a player who botched the pass. I guess I just donít feel right judging him based on tonightís game.

Ian Mahinmi: D

Remember above when I said ďhe effectively passed off a couple of times to a player who botched the passĒ well meet the player who botched the passes. Catch the damn ball when itís right in your hand Ian. Not really one of his better games just couldnít seem to find a flow at all. But when we look at his games over the past 10 or so you have to be pretty pleased with him.

On to Detroit and hopefully another win.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Welcome to the G2 zone

Man, except for a healthy Danny and productive Roy, PG putting that dunk down might be my #1 wish for the season. It was halfway down.

Anyway, pretty good game. Sucks that Lance can't play and Gerald did nothing but otherwise I really can't complain.

I wouldnt write Paul out of the All Star lineup yet. If he gets his averages too 19, 7, 4, 2stls and he's shooting 45% or so ( which at the rate he's shooting it right now, seems possible ) and considering he's arguably a top 5 defender in the league right now, he could sneak in as a reserve for sure.

His last 6 games he's putting up 25ppg 7 reb 3.5 assist and a steal and a block a game. I havent done the exact math, but he's shooting over 50% both FG and 3FG. But the thing i'm most impressive with is the fact that he's doing it against decent teams. Cleveland had the worst record, but I think they're a lot better than 5-19 and Portland is really close to a .500 team. He's showing up for sure. It's impressive. I think he can keep this up. I wouldnt be shocked if he lays 30 on Detroit. I'm curious to see what he does with Prince. That should be a really good indicator of what kind of level PG is on right now. If he torches Prince then look out. I know Prince isnt what he used to be, but he's still long and annoying. If they defend him with Singler, he's dropping 40 tonight. No doubt in my mind.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His last 6 games he's putting up 25ppg 7 reb 3.5 assist and a steal and a block a game. I havent done the exact math, but he's shooting over 50% both FG and 3FG. But the thing i'm most impressive with is the fact that he's doing it against decent teams. Cleveland had the worst record, but I think they're a lot better than 5-19 and Portland is really close to a .500 team. He's showing up for sure. It's impressive. I think he can keep this up. I wouldnt be shocked if he lays 30 on Detroit. I'm curious to see what he does with Prince. That should be a really good indicator of what kind of level PG is on right now. If he torches Prince then look out. I know Prince isnt what he used to be, but he's still long and annoying. If they defend him with Singler, he's dropping 40 tonight. No doubt in my mind.
    i did the math and posted in the post game thread, PGs last 6 games:
    25ppg, 7.3rpg, 3.5apg, 1.2bpg, 1.3spg, shooting 51% from the field and 57% from 3. He's also getting to the line 5 times per game and hitting his free throws at 88%.

very very impressive numbers
    Last edited by ilive4sports; 12-15-2012 at 04:08 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Just read that. Was gunna copy it here. Yah those numbers are sensational. If Melo wasnt blowing up right now, PG might win a monthly or weekly award or something. Melo has been fantastic offensivley but an argument can be made that PG has been way more valuable and his defense has been superb.

p.s. I think that assist average is a bit off, but i could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Just read that. Was gunna copy it here. Yah those numbers are sensational. If Melo wasnt blowing up right now, PG might win a monthly or weekly award or something. Melo has been fantastic offensivley but an argument can be made that PG has been way more valuable and his defense has been superb.

p.s. I think that assist average is a bit off, but i could be wrong.
    ah yeah the assists are off, it is 3.5. added the GSW game in there on accident. will edit.

so I figured out how to do screen recordings just for PG's oh so close dunk-of-the-year :P

...gahhhh...SO. CLOSE.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What could Hawes be possibly running his mouth about after getting nearly immortalized on a poster? By the way I think George put the league on notice with that play, next time that's going down.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

West scoring 14 points after that horrid time he had offensively speaks volume for his value.May not be his fairest critic cause i love him to bits but he is really a complete power forward and not the one we most thought were getting last year(just a player with a good mid range shot).
    Last edited by Johanvil; 12-15-2012 at 08:37 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

George Hill was fantastic. Yes, he is an ice cold killer at the end of games. I think he is our most valuable player.

I was impressed with Spencer Hawes. Maybe the Sixers should have given away the store for a different position.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

17. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    What could Hawes be possibly running his mouth about after getting nearly immortalized on a poster? By the way I think George put the league on notice with that play, next time that's going down.
    Maybe because PG was giving him the stare down? The dunk didn't go down & the foul was not out of line.

I love the fact PG was aggresive and tried to flush it over a bigger player but guess I'm not seeing the dunk as "just miss immortal". This wasn't Pippen over Ewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    .....he looked constipated after every missed shot.
    That is one of the greatest quotes ever. Seriously, it should be bronzed.

I'm wondering if part of David's problem tonight might be a result of how many minutes he has been playing. Do you suppose he is simply a bit tired?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I'm wondering if part of David's problem tonight might be a result of how many minutes he has been playing. Do you suppose he is simply a bit tired?
    He is averaging five more minutes per game than last year, so you may be right. However, he also played higher per game minutes in his last five seasons in New Orleans, so maybe not. I guess we'll find out tonight.

My guess is he just had an off night. He had a lot of misses in the 2nd quarter - and he shouldn't have been too fatigued at that point in the game.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 12-15-2012 at 09:19 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    George Hill was fantastic. Yes, he is an ice cold killer at the end of games. I think he is our most valuable player.

I was impressed with Spencer Hawes. Maybe the Sixers should have given away the store for a different position.
    Hawes is not a bad player, he is kind of soft but for two years a 6.5mil a year his value is not that bad, I don't know why Collins doesn't like him that much.

Who cares if PG missed the dunk, make that a poster anyway!

And yes, if it had gone down, that entire end of the Fieldhouse would been GONE.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Hawes is not a bad player, he is kind of soft but for two years a 6.5mil a year his value is not that bad, I don't know why Collins doesn't like him that much.
    Are three points and two rebounds worth 2.5million dollars?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    On another note he was just inches away from the dunk of the year, probably honestly the best dunk ever laid down by a Pacer and from baptizing Spencer Hawes into the religion of Paul George. I’m pretty sure I heard people in my section speaking in tongues after that dunk attempt anyway. Had he hit that I’m not sure the east end of the field house wouldn’t have collapsed from the after boom and Nick Young’s afro wouldn’t have parted into dreadlocks.

Speaking of which Andrew Bynum must now be officially listed as 7’8” tall as that hair is rising like the mushroom cloud over bikini island.
    Simply brillant. LOLed for real at this. Bill Simmonsique my friend. Keep it coming.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Toad Bynum?