Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA's top trade candidates

Default Re: NBA's top trade candidates

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Superstars carry their teams to the playoffs. Your definition is different than mine.
    Superstars also win championships about 95% of the time. Not that Love is at that level. IMO, he's a great player but not even top 10 in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by pathil275 View Post
    Really? No way. Pekovic is a good backup and Williams is a project. You would give up Hibbert, West, Granger, Hill, and/or 1st round picks for these two?
    By the way, I don't think it would take a whole lot to nab Williams since his value is at an all time low.
    Did I say I'd give up that kind of package for those 2? No. You took my post out of context. Saying everybody is on the table, doesn't mean I'd include our entire team in the deal... You're dead wrong about Pekovic. Pekovic is a legit starting 4 or 5, and has proven that over the last 2 years. To think otherwise is being ignorant.

How exactly is Williams a project? I'd love a "project" who can come in right away and put up 9pts and 5rbs. He hasn't lived up to the hype nor his draft status to this point, but does that make him a project? I seem to recall people trashing Mayo 1-2 years ago as though he was a bust and not somebody who could come in and contribute. Shoot, same could be said for JO in Portland. Sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery and an opportunity for players to take off. Plus, Granger isn't getting any younger and who knows if he'll ever come back to be a productive player. Having a 22 year old drenched in talent to grow alongside George can only be beneficial to this team's long term outlook. But of course, our organization will stand pat and continue to mire in mediocrity.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    Aah... Augustin's contract takes care of itself at the end of the season. Perhaps we can use Green instead?

But you do realize this would be a very short-term rental? Thus we would lose Tyler without anything to show for it heading into next season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I doubt they'd want Green's contract. DJ as an expiring contract is more valuable than Green as a player, I think.

All we really have to offer are a few expiring contracts, I don't see us making any deals this year.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    It is good that you want to keep the team you have because they would not take what you offer. Love is a superstar. It would take most of the Pacers starters to land him if then...... ...
    Kevin Love is NOT a superstar. He's very good, don't get me wrong. But there's only a handful of superstar players, and he is not one of them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Kevin Love is NOT a superstar. He's very good, don't get me wrong. But there's only a handful of superstar players, and he is not one of them.
    Lol, good luck arguing with him about superstar players.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Let's take our bad bench players and trade them for someone else's bad bench players and hope the "change of scenery" thing works out for everyone.
    Tyler Hansbrough and DJ Augustin for Derrick Williams.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I just feel sorry for whatever teams GM thinks that we should be playing Tyler more...has he been watching the same games as we have? Any guesses on which GM said that? lol

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I just feel sorry for whatever teams GM thinks that we should be playing Tyler more...has he been watching the same games as we have? Any guesses on which GM said that? lol
    I will bet there are more of those GMs than you think.... ...

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    You don't think they will get a better offer than that for Williams? I do. ...

Sports Logo

You guys are overvaluing our Players. The cost to get a prospect and/or Starter like Derrick Williams is well beyond what the Pacers would be willing to pay.

Aim lower since the only real value that our tradable Players are that they are Expiring Contracts.

I'm surprised that no one has brought it up yet....but a real easy trade that could make some sense for both Teams is Tyler Hansbrough for Gerald Henderson. Both are coming off of their Rookie Contracts...so making Salaries work isn't going to be hard.

We need a more consistent Bench Wing Player that is smart and Hansbrough could offer something that the rest of the Frontcourt doesn't ( at a cheap price ) for the Bobcats...while adding in that whole North Carolina State following in Charlotte.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    That's a fantastic trade for us when looking at value. But positionally it makes even more problems.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The Hans for Henderson trade sounds good, but who backs up West? Do you think Miles or Pendy are ready to step up? I'm sure Ian could take some of those minutes, but he IS a foul magnet. We could go small and use Granger at 4 when/if he comes back healthy enough to play.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    The Hans for Henderson trade sounds good, but who backs up West? Do you think Miles or Pendy are ready to step up? I'm sure Ian could take some of those minutes, but he IS a foul magnet. We could go small and use Granger at 4 when/if he comes back healthy enough to play.
    I'm inclined to think that Mahinmi can pick up any scoring slack that would be lost with Hansbrough and Plumlee would just move up one rung in the frontcourt ladder. Mahinmi can't be any slower defending athletic big men that Hansbrough is....so I don't think that Hansbrough is irreplaceable.

If anything....I think that Mahinmi has a more consistent offensive game and mid range jumpshot than Hansbrough does. To me...although I think that Hansbrough has a decent knack for getting to the ft line....Mahinmi isn't that bad at doing the same.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-16-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Pekovic is a legit starting 4 or 5, and has proven that over the last 2 years.
    I absolutely agree with this. Pekovic is a proven starter. If you watched him in Europe, you always knew that he was going to be a legit starter in the NBA. And he proved himself. Just like Shved will. He was another case of an extremely safe pick-up that is guaranteed to yield good to great results.

D-Will has not proved a lot yet, though. He may pan out but he may fall flat. I agree that a change of scenery would do him good. But he's still a risk. However, he could be worth it

Banned
    Mood

I didn't realize just how lousy Derrick Williams has been during his short career. His numbers are cringe-worthy. Look beyond where he was drafted, and I don't see the Wolves getting much out of him at all.

For comparison's sake, former #2 pick Hasheem Thabeet was traded midway through his second season. The deal? Thabeet, DeMarre Carrol, and a future 1st for a declining Shane Battier and Ishmael Smith.

Yeah, the Wolves aren't getting much at all for Williams. I might give them Hansbrough, Augustine, and a lottery-protected 1st, but I'd be hesitant to move the pick.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Superstars carry their teams to the playoffs. Your definition is different than mine.
    Seriously, who is the best teammate Love has played with? Pekovic, who didn't come on until last year? Rubio, who has played fewer than 50 career games? He has had no help​ up until last year, and when that team was healthy they were competing for a playoff spot. Get a clue.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    For comparison's sake, former #2 pick Hasheem Thabeet was traded midway through his second season. The deal? Thabeet, DeMarre Carrol, and a future 1st for a declining Shane Battier and Ishmael Smith.

Yeah, the Wolves aren't getting much at all for Williams. I might give them Hansbrough, Augustine, and a lottery-protected 1st, but I'd be hesitant to move the pick.

Why in the world would the Timberwolves trade one player who isn't getting minutes so they can add two worse players who also won't get minutes, especially if they're only going to get a crummy pick out of the deal? They have tons of PG depth with Rubio back on the floor and nothing about Hans screams "Adelman player" to me. I agree that they would trade Williams if it helped them add parts that got them into the playoffs this year, but DJ/Hans are not​ those parts.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Like Wes Johnson. lol Could probably get him for a 2nd round pick.
    I think you could get Wes for a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by trey View Post
    I'm in the same group of you guys that do not want Kevin Love on this team. Every since the game against us, and also that game against the rockets when he stomped Scola's face while he was on the ground, I've greatly disliked that guy and probably always will.

I think Calderon would be an amazing pick up. That guy is just a great scorer/creator/passer, he's exactly what we need.
    My issue with Love is the fact he is constantly in the media *****ing about his team/contract.

He's a stat-whore that rarely changes a game significantly. Look at their production with him out, then in the games he's played in.

He's very good and produces numbers, but so does David Lee. Anyone calling him a superstar?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    Hahaha, I was actually very interested in how this worked, until I saw we had to give up our 2nd and 3rd PF.

Could you imagine the 2nd unit?

Calderon/Lance/Green/Young/Ian OR Cal/Lance/Green/Miles/Ian OR Cal/Lance/Young/Miles/Ian

Regardless, you'd be looking at significant minutes for Young or Miles at the 4. I will say, Calderon and Lance make for a very nice backcourt, and in theory would mesh well with Green at the 3. Of course, Green sucks...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Why in the world would the Timberwolves trade one player who isn't getting minutes so they can add two worse players who also won't get minutes, especially if they're only going to get a crummy pick out of the deal? They have tons of PG depth with Rubio back on the floor and nothing about Hans screams "Adelman player" to me. I agree that they would trade Williams if it helped them add parts that got them into the playoffs this year, but DJ/Hans are not​ those parts.
    It's debatable that either of Hansbrough or Augustin are worse than Williams, let alone both. Please, do look at how Williams has performed, not simply his draft position, lest I'll not be able to take your arguments seriously. Hansbrough and Augustin have at least had periods of being productive NBA players in their past. Derrick Williams has not, and with him now falling behind Bobcats' reject Dante Cunningham on the depth chart, it doesn't look like he will any time soon. Also, the Pacers first-round pick is currently in the late teens, I believe. I'd hardly qualify that as crummy. Given how awful Derrick Williams has been thus far, the pick, itself, may be more valuable. Williams is worse than Thabeet was at this same point in their respective careers.

You think Minny would give us D. Williams for Augustin and Hansbrough, I would even throw in a 2nd or 1st rounder, I think Williams needs a change of scenery then he can be a productive bench player

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's debatable that either of Hansbrough or Augustin are worse than Williams, let alone both. Please, do look at how Williams has performed, not simply his draft position, lest I'll not be able to take your arguments seriously. Hansbrough and Augustin have at least had periods of being productive NBA players in their past. Derrick Williams has not, and with him now falling behind Bobcats' reject Dante Cunningham on the depth chart, it doesn't look like he will any time soon. Also, the Pacers first-round pick is currently in the late teens, I believe. I'd hardly qualify that as crummy. Given how awful Derrick Williams has been thus far, the pick, itself, may be more valuable. Williams is worse than Thabeet was at this same point in their respective careers.
    For one thing, that sentence makes no sense at all. And for another, I would ask that you consider factors outside of current on-court performance when evaluating the value of a player as an asset. If you would do that, you would see that the pu pu platter of Hans/DJ (even with a non-lottery pick) isn't going to land you last year's #2 pick that has played only 50 games so far. Are you seriously comparing Williams with freaking Hasheem Thabeet? That is laughably preposterous.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Thabeet: 1.1 pts, 1.6 rebs, .3 blks in his second yr
    Williams: 8.8 pts, 4.7 rebs, .7 blks.

As disappointing as Williams is he isn't anywhere close to being a bust of historical proportions that Thabeet was..and really still is.

I think a change of scenery would benefit Williams big time. He definitely has some talent IMO. I'd love the Pacers to acquire him.