Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA's top trade candidates

Default NBA's top trade candidates

NBA's top trade candidates

Former No. 2 pick Derrick Williams isn't getting much playing time in Minnesota. (Getty Images)
    Most NBA players who signed contracts during the past offseason become eligible on Saturday to be traded. What that means: With a much larger pool of players available for deals, NBA general managers will start spending a lot more time on the phone in the coming weeks. "It's about to heat up on Dec. 15," one Eastern Conference general manager said. "Conversations are definitely happening because once Dec. 15 comes, the pool increases. You've heard a lot of rumors about Pau Gasol, Andrea Bargnani. The names are only going to grow on Dec. 15."
    From conversations with several NBA executives, here's a list of players whose names figure to frequently surface in trade talks between now and the league's Feb. 21 deadline for deals.
    Andrea Bargnani (Getty Images)Andrea Bargnani: Toronto Raptors, 27, PF-C
    Contract status: Three years, $33.25 million remaining. Player opt-out in 2014. Due 5 percent bonus if traded.
    Buzz: Bargnani is sidelined with elbow and wrist injuries, tempering his short-term value. He hasn't lived up to the hype and injuries have been a concern throughout his career. Still, the young 7-footer can score and remains a sharp 3-point threat.
    "Toronto definitely wants to move Bargnani," one NBA GM said.
    Marshon Brooks: Brooklyn Nets, 23, SG
    Contract status: Making $1.1 million in second year of rookie contract.
    Buzz: Brooks had a sensational rookie season averaging 12.6 points. But with the addition of Joe Johnson, Brooks has averaged just 6.2 points through his first 14 games this season. Sources said the Nets dangled Brooks in offseason trade talks, but his low contract number makes it difficult to get much of a return for him in a deal.
    "They are one of the rare teams that can afford to keep their team at a championship level financially," an NBA GM said. "For them, the development of young players isn't important because they can overspend."
    Andrew Bynum: Philadelphia 76ers, 25, C
    Contract status: Making $16.1 million in last year of contract.
    Buzz: Bynum is still experiencing left knee pain that has kept him from making his debut with the Sixers, but is hopeful he can return sometime in 2013. He becomes a free agent at the end of the season and was expected to command a five-year contract approaching $100 million. His health problems threaten to substantially reduce that number.
    [Related: Kobe Bryant still sees hope in Lakers' rough start]
    One NBA general manager said the Sixers have been making trade inquiries about adding a starting caliber center.
    "They got to be a little panicked now," one GM said. "They could get a really interesting deal for him. I could see them doing that."
    Jose Calderon: Toronto Raptors, 27, PG
    Contract status: Making $10.5 million in last year of contract. Due a 10 percent bonus if traded.
    Buzz: Calderon has been mentioned as a possible trade candidate for years and has been linked with the Los Angeles Lakers in the past. Raptors starting point guard Kyle Lowry is expected to be sidelined another week with a partial tear to his right triceps muscle, but that shouldn't keep Calderon from being shopped.
    "I believe 100 percent that they're trying to trade him," one GM said.
    Tyreke Evans: Sacramento Kings, G-F, 23
    Contact status: Making $5.2 million in final year of contract year. Will be a restricted free agent at end of the season.
    Buzz: Evans recently had a positive conversation about his future with Kings general manager Geoff Petrie, a source close to the guard said. Evans thinks the franchise could match any offer sheet he potentially signs next offseason and would prefer to return to the Kings to prove he is a franchise player. But can the Kings afford him?
    "If they can't pay him, they'll just move him," one GM said.
    Pau Gasol (Getty Images)Pau Gasol: Los Angeles Lakers, 32, PF
    Contract status: Making $19 million this season and due $19.2 million next season. Due a 15 percent bonus if traded.
    Buzz: Gasol was nearly dealt to the Houston Rockets last year and continued to be the center of trade whispers. The Lakers, however, aren't expected to seriously consider any deals for him until after he returns and gets a chance to play with Steve Nash, who is also currently sidelined. If a move does happen with Gasol, it will likely be much closer to the trade deadline.
    "I believe that the message being conveyed to wait and see with Nash is accurate," one GM said.
    Tyler Hansbrough: Indiana Pacers, 27, PF
    Contract status: Making $3.1 million in final contract year. Will be restricted free agent at end of the season. Buzz: Hansbrough is averaging career-lows of six points, 4.2 rebounds and 16.1 minutes, but could be a good frontcourt addition for needy teams. By moving Hansbrough, the Pacers could potentially add a wing player to help soothe the loss of injured small forward Danny Granger.
    "I'm surprised they haven't been playing him," one GM said of Hansbrough.
    Gerald Henderson: Charlotte Bobcats, G-F, 25
    Contract status: Making $3.1 million in final contract year. Will be a restricted free agent at end of the season.
    Buzz: Henderson averaged 15.1 points last season and seemed to be coming into his own. A foot injury early this season, however, forced him to miss 13 games. The Bobcats have since primarily started rookie Jeff Taylor instead and a league source said the team is open to trading Henderson.
    "If they don't look like they can afford him, they are probably going to move him," one NBA GM said. "They were playing their best basketball when he was hurt."
    Kevin Love: Minnesota Timberwolves, 24, PF
    Contract status: In first year of a four-year, $60 million contract. Can opt out after the 2014-15 season.
    Buzz: In an interview with Yahoo! Sports NBA columnist Adrian Wojnarowski, Love recently questioned the direction of the franchise under owner Glen Taylor and general manager David Kahn. Love isn't happy about not getting a five-year maximum contract, and some teams might try to explore acquiring him from Minnesota.
    "I don't think that's a match that is permanent in Minnesota," a rival assistant GM said. "I'm not saying they're shopping, but if they can get the right deal they would look at it. And I don't think he wants to be there."
    Paul Millsap (AP)Paul Millsap: Utah Jazz, 27, PF
    Contract status: Making $8.6 million in final contract year.
    Buzz: The Utah Jazz are in the playoff hunt and have two starting big men in the last years of their deals in Millsap and Al Jefferson. Utah also has two talented young big men in Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. Any big move by new general manager Dennis Lindsey, however, could disrupt Utah's playoff hopes.
    "I would think they would more likely trade Millsap over Jefferson because he is going to be harder to keep," one GM said. "He's made less money than Jefferson and he will go to the highest bidder."
    Timofey Mozgov: Denver Nuggets, 26, C
    Contract status: Making $3.1 million in last year of contract. Will be a restricted free agent at end of the season.
    Buzz: Of their three centers, the Nuggets are most willing to part with Mozgov, who has proven in his short NBA career and Olympic play that he is a serviceable big man. The Nuggets probably won't try to re-sign him with two other free agents on the horizon: guard Andre Iguodala and reserve swingman Corey Brewer.
    "It's logical because they have three centers and it's hard for [coach George] Karl to play them all," one NBA GM said. "The Nuggets are not a big revenue-generating team and they're not going to pay the tax."
    Anderson Varejao: Cleveland Cavaliers, 30, PF-C
    Contract status: Has $27.1 million remaining over final three years of contract. Due 5 percent bonus if traded.
    [Also: Carmelo Anthony is 'day-to-day' with ankle injury]
    Buzz: Varejao is having an All-Star season, averaging 14.3 points and 14.8 rebounds through 22 games. Cleveland, however, has one of the NBA's worst records so teams will at least ask about the availability of Varejao, whose stock is rising by the day.
    "He is a target for trade, but I don't think Cleveland wants to trade him," one GM said. "There is a distinction between players teams might want to move and players teams want to have."
    Derrick Williams: Minnesota Timberwolves, 21, F
    Contract status: Making $4.8 million in second year of rookie deal.
    Buzz: Williams has had a disappointing career in Minnesota after being selected second overall in the 2011 draft. The highest draft choice in franchise history has been earning DNP-CDs or short-minute stints under coach Rick Adelman. Both sides would be happy with a move.
    "They will move him in a heartbeat if they could," one rival team executive said. "I don't think the coaches are that high on him. You have to get something for him now because the longer he sits, the more people think he can't play."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nb...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Default Re: NBA's top trade candidates

Fo those listed, besides dreaming of Love, could we some how get Brooks out of New Jersey. He would be perfect off of the bench. If not Brooks I would take Calderon. Williams would be okay, but he would cost us too much to get.

Hmmm, West and George for Love works. What I like about it is we would get Love for 4 years, and not have to worry about replacing West at PF, or how much George will make. That seems like a good trade for both teams when you consider each teams situation.

I would rather keep the team we have though.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Am I the only one who wants no part of Kevin Love's hallow stat grabbing, non-defense playing, malcontent whiny @ss? Does anyone fear the mighty Kevin Love when we play the Wolves? I know I sure don't. He is a better version of Troy Murphy. Attitude may actually be worse though.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

However I would love to swap Gerald Green and DJ Augustine for Marshon Brooks and Cap Filler Player whoever that is.

House Sigil:

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm, West and George for Love works. What I like about it is we would get Love for 4 years, and not have to worry about replacing West at PF, or how much George will make. That seems like a good trade for both teams when you consider each teams situation.

This would make us much worse as we'd basically have zero scoring from the wing spot.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    However I would love to swap Gerald Green and DJ Augustine for Marshon Brooks and Cap Filler Player whoever that is.

Sign me up. I would give them our first too, unprotected.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    Never do unprotected immediately, I'd say top 3-5 protected or something, the Clippers found that out the wrong way trading their first round pick to get rid of Baron Davis' contract. They could've had Kyrie Irving if they had simply had a top 3 protection or something year 1.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Never do unprotected immediately, I'd say top 3-5 protected or something, the Clippers found that out the wrong way trading their first round pick to get rid of Baron Davis' contract. They could've had Kyrie Irving if they had simply had a top 3 protection or something year 1.
    Absolutley. That or make it this year's pick only. Essentially no way its anything but a 10-24 pick, and it would be a catastrophic misstep to be a 10-14 lottery pick.

House Sigil:

Maybe top 5 protected then.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's take our bad bench players and trade them for someone else's bad bench players and hope the "change of scenery" thing works out for everyone.
    Last edited by pizza guy; 12-15-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I'd trade just about anybody but George, as well as 2 1sts in order to nab Williams and Pekovic from Minnesota.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    I'd trade just about anybody but George, as well as 2 1sts in order to nab Williams and Pekovic from Minnesota.
    Really? No way. Pekovic is a good backup and Williams is a project. You would give up Hibbert, West, Granger, Hill, and/or 1st round picks for these two?
    By the way, I don't think it would take a whole lot to nab Williams since his value is at an all time low.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pathil275 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Let's take our bad bench players and trade them for someone else's bad bench players and hope the "change of scenery" thing works out for everyone.
    Like Wes Johnson. lol Could probably get him for a 2nd round pick.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

MarShon and Derrick Williams should be on the Pacers radar.

A couple of guys that are not on the list, Reggie Jackson of OKC and Greg Smith of the Rockets.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

trade
    pendergraph for anybody useful, be real fans, he wont play unless its garbage time!!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR-LANCE-ALOT For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

It is good that you want to keep the team you have because they would not take what you offer. Love is a superstar. It would take most of the Pacers starters to land him if then...... ...

Banned

If I was the Pacers I'll be calling Minny for Dwill, I feel that he can be pretty good but is in a bad situation just like Evan Turner last year, I would also call the Clippers about Bledsoe, Brooklyn about Brooks, Maynor?, Calderon? trade anybody but Hill, Paul George or Hibbert.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    No Sir
    Why so SERIOUS

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    No Sir
    Also, there is no reason to trade a first anything for Marshon Brooks, he is a decent corer, but had his ups and downs as well, I wouldn't mind trading Green and Augustine, possibly a second, not no need to give up a first, especially not since we are sitting where we are, we never know how this season will go.
    Why so SERIOUS

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm in the same group of you guys that do not want Kevin Love on this team. Every since the game against us, and also that game against the rockets when he stomped Scola's face while he was on the ground, I've greatly disliked that guy and probably always will.

I think Calderon would be an amazing pick up. That guy is just a great scorer/creator/passer, he's exactly what we need.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to trey For This Useful Post:

Williams would be great to have but you just have to wonder why he isn't playing up there in Minny.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Hibbert and Granger together might land you Love, but we really cannot trade Hibbert. I know he's not playing well, but Love isn't going to provide the defense you need to win in the playoffs. Also, Paul is a rising star who can play D and light it up on offense. I would hang onto him too.

I would trade anyone except those two to get Paul Milsap. If they took Granger, it would be a steal IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    Absolutley. That or make it this year's pick only. Essentially no way its anything but a 10-24 pick, and it would be a catastrophic misstep to be a 10-14 lottery pick.

If the Pacers just made the playoffs and obtained a 15-20 pick that would be ok with me. They get in the playoffs and get a player who can help the team. I just want to see improvement as the season progresses.
    Love certainly seems to be a malcontent. Team chemistry is good on this team despite the mediocre results
    so far this season.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    It is good that you want to keep the team you have because they would not take what you offer. Love is a superstar. It would take most of the Pacers starters to land him if then...... ...
    Superstars carry their teams to the playoffs. Your definition is different than mine.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

37. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post: