Page 99 of 349 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149199 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 8713

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

The Number 23.

It was alright, not quite what I was expecting though.

"Zodiac" - very, very, very good and I highly, highly recommend it. Great acting and even though the movie is 2 hours and 30 minutes long it held my attention throughout. It is a true story - so if you are someone who likes "perfect endings" where the bad guy is killed in some supposedly crowd pleasing kind of way - you won't see that in this movie. It reminded me of "All the Presidents men". The Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman movie about Watergate. It had the same type of tone and pacing as that.

Bball, I really liked "The World's Fastest Indian" - it wasn't great, but I got caught up in the story and it was heartwarming

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I watched Thank You for Smoking again, one of my favorites.

The Quiet

Absolutely unwatchable. I watched is strictly for Elisha Cuthbert who did look very hot though

Irreversible

Very hard to watch. It was pretty graphic and the cinematography made me dizzy but still above average
    "If I tell you its Easter, you'd better hide eggs" - Peyton Manning to Marcus Pollard

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Longest Yard and The Longest Yard

I thought the original was utter garbage, and it had a slapped together feel. Plus I don't think that I found anything funny even though it's supposed to be a comedy. The game itself was boring and had no semblance to an actual game. Some reason the director thought we wanted to see cheerleaders in drag over and over...

The remake had a better feel to it and was better than I expected. It was an okay movie because I accepted for what it was. I even laughed a couple of times, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It would have been much better if they had made the movie more realistic. They really needed to change it up some so there wouldn't be so many identical scenes from the original.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio live concert dvd. Close your eyes, crank the sound, and you'll be very happy. Try to watch this and you'll have nausea and a splitting headache from the constant camera changes. Motion sickness does not create the ultimate experience.
    Which is why Steve Harris should not be allowed to direct. Stick to playing the bass dude. I can't believe the other guys let him get away with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

Bball, I really liked "The World's Fastest Indian" - it wasn't great, but I got caught up in the story and it was heartwarming

And re-reading my review I didn't do a very good job of conveying my feelings. I agree with your review. "It wasn't great, but I got caught up in the story and it was heartwarming" are pretty much my feelings as well.

BTW... Have you watched "Madison"? (Not "Billy Madison" but the movie 'Madison' that was filmed in Madison, IN and centered around the 1972 Regatta). It's along the same lines as "The World's Fastest Indian" as far as heartwarming and some of the underlying things except I thought the movie "Madison" itself was actually even better made.

You don't have to care a thing about boat racing to enjoy the movie. It does have some familiar faces in it. Jim Caviezel is the star. As I understand it, the movie budget was running out and he donated his salary to help see that it was finished.

It goes in the "Hoosiers", "Rudy", and "Breaking Away" mold of movies. No idea why it didn't reach heights closer to those movies. Maybe there's some 'been there, done that' factor at play but I personally enjoyed it. Maybe that is because the movie never made a splash nationally and so when I watched it it was more from curiosity rather than expecting a good movie. But it didn't take long before I was hooked and enjoying the movie on it's own merits.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    The Longest Yard and The Longest Yard

I thought the original was utter garbage, and it had a slapped together feel. Plus I don't think that I found anything funny even though it's supposed to be a comedy. The game itself was boring and had no semblance to an actual game. Some reason the director thought we wanted to see cheerleaders in drag over and over...

The remake had a better feel to it and was better than I expected. It was an okay movie because I accepted for what it was. I even laughed a couple of times, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It would have been much better if they had made the movie more realistic. They really needed to change it up some so there wouldn't be so many identical scenes from the original.

I'm fine with the original but I thought the remake was crap. If you can't do better than that, why even bother remaking the original?

I never really considered the original "a comedy". I suppose if I went into it thinking it was going to be a comedy and expecting laughs then I probably wouldn't have liked it. Is it classified as a comedy? I never knew that if that is true.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I know some people who saw "Madison" they said it was good, but I forgot all about it. I'll have to watch it

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    I watched Thank You for Smoking again, one of my favorites.
    Yeah, it's up there in terms of satires with South Park, Team America, Wag the Dog, etc. I'm missing a couple but a good satire is always a great movie.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Illusionist I liked, good art direction and cinematography, but I preferred the story behind The Prestige more, especially their tit for tat grudge aspect (not a spoiler, it starts early and is openly expressed throughout.

Odd thing with Prestige, the "twist" seemed obvious to me, but another aspect openly expressed in the film I expected to not be true and was a "twist" to me (more Sci-Fi than I thought it would be).

The Decent is what I last watched. Brilliantly shot horror flick, I mean great cinematography (all the creative lighting used for perfect dramatic and thematic effect at the same time), tight script, hard-core gore yet it doesn't lean on it or shocks to keep you involved.

I'd heard good things and it met my expectations.

The Longest Yard I was just watching the other day (original). That is such a subtle character piece, and yet very funny. I love that sequence of flashes when Burt scores, showing the different faces of people reacting. Pretty artistic for a popcorn comedy. The remake? Totally misunderstood the original, tossed aside all those character angles and went for dumb laughs.

You want a solid LYard remake, go rent Mean Machine with Statham as a soccer player sent to prison instead. Much closer to the intent of the original.

Flags/Iwo Jima - both were decent but underwhelming. Jima was a tighter script, stayed on track with just a couple of key characters and themes. Flags wanders all over the place to the point that you wonder who you are supposed to be following along with and what the point is exactly.
    Good, but not as moving as I thought it would be for me. Actually, it just left me more disgusted with our race (humans).
    You'd be more disgusted if you saw the true Iwo Jima stories depicted. Where in Jima you see the American beaten up, Flags suggests the reality more (unviewable awfulness done to him, not just beaten or stabbed to death). Severe mutilation was a common practice by Jap. soliders at that time (they were drilled to be inhuman to US solider and to not see US soldiers as human beings at all).

Clint backed WAY off of that reality for whatever reasons. Ignoring even that though, it bugged me that their social interactions and needs came across as too American. Compare how similar they are, their social structure, etc in that film vs what Murray experiences in Lost in Translation. It's not just a language barrier, it's a totally different culture. Jima doesn't express that very well.

Irreversible is one of the most difficult films I've ever viewed. Solid film, definitely emotionally engaging, but 2 scenes in the film depict violence on a very uncomfortable level. Worth seeing for certain, but just be prepared and have something light ready to follow it up with.

Pan's Lab. has some unpleasant to watch moments too, but not on par with Irrev.

Good to hear a positive for Zodiac, I love Fincher and this is a compelling true story to say the least.

We're going to see Reno tonight. Love the show, should be light fun.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    "Zodiac" - very, very, very good and I highly, highly recommend it. Great acting and even though the movie is 2 hours and 30 minutes long it held my attention throughout. It is a true story - so if you are someone who likes "perfect endings" where the bad guy is killed in some supposedly crowd pleasing kind of way - you won't see that in this movie. It reminded me of "All the Presidents men". The Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman movie about Watergate. It had the same type of tone and pacing as that.

Yeah, I got the New York Times Movie Review again yesterday and it was about this movie. It's been a longtime ago since I read such a positive review from them. Definitely going to see it when it starts around cinema's here.

I'm going to watch "The Good Shepherd" OR "Letters from Iwo Jima" tonight... haven't made up my mind yet.

Another movie I think I will be interested in seeying is "Breach" anyone happen to see it yet?

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Another movie I think I will be interested in seeying is "Breach" anyone happen to see it yet?

Regards,

Mourning
    I was going to go see that yesterday, but when I read about "Zodiac" I thought it looked better. But if I get a chance I'll see "Breach" maybe this week

Don't Look Back '65 Tour Deluxe Edition
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I almost forgot, I watched "Half Nelson" last week. Ryan Gosling performance is amazing and certainly Oscar worthy. The movie overall was pretty good - not much of a plot at all though, basically just a character study

Just saw "We Are Marshall". Pretty good movie.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Watched The Prestige last night. It was just OK.

My big problem about it was I never had any reason to identify with or care about either of the two main characters. There was a fair amount of suspense and intrigue - as well as some interesting looks at obsession - but it didn't matter much to me. If they'd spent 10-15 minutes at the beginning developing empathy (particularly Bale's character) rather than starting right off with the seeds of conflict I'd have cared a lot more.

To take another movie about magicians to contrast that with, The Illusionist did a much better job with this though the overall story line was no better. But I gave a crap what happened to people there.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GiRL View Post
    Lucky Number Slevin.

Great movie!
    Just saw that yesterday(twice) and I loved it too. BTW, this movie looks great on HD-DVD.

The Number 23

Not very good. Not recommended what so ever. The Real Number 23 Michael Jordan is what I would suggest.

I recently watched The Departed.
    One of the best movies I've seen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Quote Originally Posted by carpediem024 View Post
    I recently watched The Departed.
    One of the best movies I've seen.
    Thought the Departed was a good movie too, however IMO it was far from the best.

streets ahead

THE PRESTIGE ... there are two things i find hard to resist. 1) Christopher Nolan 2) Christian Bale. i really enjoyed this movie. it wasn't perfect, but if you enjoy either of the two things i mentioned above, then you'll probably enjoy this film. its really odd to think of nolan as having only made a couple of films. A-

SMOKIN' ACES ... where to start? is there an actual plot or is it more of a rough concept/idea? who is more disgusting: jason bateman or jeremy piven? the year of the affleck: the academy missed nominating him for his work as George Reeves in Hollywoodland but can anybody tell me im wrong when i propose some of ben afflecks best acting ever comes in the scene when he's laying down in the parking lot next to his car? a lot of questions... the movie was okay, it was like tarantino on steriods (or maybe a better analogy is like barry bonds post-1997). C+

BLOOD DIAMOND ... dicaprio was reliably good, but i really enjoyed djimon honsou's performance. glad he received recognition. the story had good and bad moments, some times feels kind of like a lecture. but the last 10 minutes of the film i wasn't too fond of. C+
    This is the darkest timeline.

"Flags of Our Fathers"

I thought it was good but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I can't really put my finger on where I thought it lost some impact...but I'll try...

I guess I just didn't think it was pulled together all that tightly as it jumped from modern day to the bond tour back to the island. I liked the concept but I think the scenes during the bond tour needed to be tighter and more compact (for lack of a better word). It's not that we saw too much of the bond tour scenes overall it's that each bite was too big I think. Those should've moved the movie forward and I think that is where something didn't quite reach what it was trying to do.

But what do I know...
    -Bball

------

-John Wooden

sweabs

Stranger Than Fiction

Chick flick.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    Stranger Than Fiction

Chick flick.
    I thought it was better and deeper than that.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!