Page 55 of 340 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 8494

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Day of the Jackal

It was on the Universal HD channel last night. Good movie altho the climax feels a bit strange. Actually, that's probably because it is restrained and these days we're more used to being fed some fast cutting footage with a chest pounding soundtrack to keep our nerves on edge.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Day of the Jackal

It was on the Universal HD channel last night. Good movie altho the climax feels a bit strange. Actually, that's probably because it is restrained and these days we're more used to being fed some fast cutting footage with a chest pounding soundtrack to keep our nerves on edge.

-Bball
    Strange. I just went on a 70s movies DVD-buying binge and I picked up "Day of the Jackal," looked at it and put it back down.

I finally saw Capote. The awards Phillip Seymour Hoffman has garnered thus far for his acting in that film are well deserved. He displays all the subtle tics and mannerisms of TC without ever coming across as self-conscious or manneristic. Clifton Collins Jr. also deserves high praise for his portrayal of the doomed killer Perry Smith, a sensitive, posturing, violent man who looks to Capote for redemption and salvation. By juxtaposing Truman Capote's delicate sensibilities with an unflinching view of the graphic victimization on all sides of the crime in question, the filmakers adeptly depict the cauldron in which Capote's last great book was written. The scenes with Smith and Copote on death row are extremely affecting. In the end the aspiring writer in Capote is pitted against his inner humanitarian and his recognition that in the killer Smith there exists much of the "there but for the grace of God, go I"
    Only reservations I had were that, if you've ever read the book, In Cold Blood, there had to be a great deal more interaction between Capote and the other killer, Dick Hickock. Probably truncated for time constraints. Highly recommended if you wish to view one of this generation's great actors at the height of his craft.
    BTW, here is a really good inteview with PSH at Slate Magazine from earlier this week:
    http://www.slate.com/id/2135151/

Poltergeist. Pretty damn scary.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Strange. I just went on a 70s movies DVD-buying binge and I picked up "Day of the Jackal," looked at it and put it back down.
    Does that mean you've watched it before but you didn't like it or you had not watched it and the cover didn't interest you enough now to believe you'd like it?

I have some questions about the movie. Did the director want viewers sympathetic to the Jackal? ...or was that just me?

Heh, he's a cold-blooded killer but I admired his drive to finish the job!

Universal HD, and especially HDNet Movies are pretty nice for catching some of these old movies. The HD transfers can really bring some new life to old movies. ...and even some 'not so old' movies. IE: The HD version of Slingblade puts the DVD to shame (visually). While there is undoubtably a difference in the formats, it's really eye-opening to compare a bad DVD to a good HD version.

HDNet Movies is all O.A.R. which is nice. Not sure about Universal HD.

And now I've totally changed the topic...

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

"The Life and Times of David Gayle"

Rousingly "OK" is how I would rate it.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

40 Year Old Virgin

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    "The Life and Times of David Gayle"

Rousingly "OK" is how I would rate it.

-Bball
    You mean The Life of David Gale? (2003)

I saw that when it came out. I would agree that it's very "meh".

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trapped in Paradise.

Flightplan

Probably would've enjoyed it more had I not known how it ended.

IndyToad
    Living down to his reputation

City Of God. Possibly the best movie ever made.

A recommendation to anyone that can find it for rental.

Quote Originally Posted by newman8r
    City Of God. Possibly the best movie ever made.

A recommendation to anyone that can find it for rental.
    I think I've go the DVD somewhere. I need to look becuase I have heard nothing but huge raves about it. What did you think of it? How did it make you feel?

I just watched the original Lolita this morning. What a weird movie. I liked it and despite it's classic status, didn't love it. Peter Sellars was great, but conversely, Sue Lyon looked like a young woman to me, not a gir even though she was 16 at the time of filming. She looked early twenties to me. I keep trying to factor in the times, and that they couldn't get away with too much, but I would have enjoyed it whole lot more if she really seemed young and if she would have come across as more seductive. Like the review I linked to, I just didn't see why anyone would be obsessed with her.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Harmonica

City of God is hardly the best movie ever made.

Bang the Drum Slowly (1973). Early De Niro. Hard to go wrong there. But still, odd film. Worth checking out though.

And Now For Something Completely Different

Mt. Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. It's rather steep till it gets to the top but then it starts to slope away rather sharply...

I love that movie.

IndyToad
    Turn the radio up

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We finally watched Van Helsing last night. It was o.k. How she died at the end after all of the other unbelievable shots she took was lame. Guess they had to wrap it up.

Kate Beckinsale made the movie worth watching though. Very attractive.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    We finally watched Van Helsing last night. It was o.k. How she died at the end after all of the other unbelievable shots she took was lame. Guess they had to wrap it up.

Kate Beckinsale made the movie worth watching though. Very attractive.
    If you haven't seen Underworld or the sequel, please go see it now. Beckinsale is hot in those two movies as well.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kicking and Screaming, 2005, with Will Ferrell.

The only thing that puzzles me more than how this wretched excuse for a film got in my Blockbuster queue is how they got Robert Duvall to appear in it.

It makes Rodney Dangerfield's Ladybugs look a masterpiece.

Mood

40 Year Old Virgin.

I don't know. The first half I just wasn't into it, then I paused it and came back a half hour later, and really enjoyed the second half.

American Beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    I think I've go the DVD somewhere. I need to look becuase I have heard nothing but huge raves about it. What did you think of it? How did it make you feel?

It is by far the best movie ever made in the history of films being made. It is just a really good story told differently and the actors are all very good. PLus the shots they use and the style is unique and unlike anything I have seen. Probably because it is a foreign film, they arent corrupt with the stupid Hollywood mold of explosions, CGI graphics and all shot on green screen. The only effect that i noticed all three times were on set effects with the gun shots.

Plus the fact that it is based on a true story makes it just that much better. A good rental for everyone (Not recommended for kids or people who dont like violence).

Banned

Amateurs: Cream Pies 38

I was impressed with the cinematography.

The Constant Gardener

Ugh...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Hoosiers (for the first time)

Very good movie, reminded me of Friday Night Lights, or I guess I should say FNL was like a football version of Hoosiers. What I got from these two movies is that basketball is to Indiana as football is to Texas.

Layer Cake

Well put together and pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    Layer Cake

Well put together and pretty entertaining.
    I am DYING to watch it. I've had it for a couple of months now, but I want my wife to watch it with me and we just can't seem to make the time. I can't wait to watch it.

I just watched Sharky's Machine!! LOVE that movie. One of my all-time favorites. No, it's not a classic movie and it won't make a 100 best films ever made list, but it just has this great vibe, it's still cool, even today and it may have been the last movie Burt did when he could still convincingly play a bad azz.

The scene where he got his finger...well, just go rent it. I mean it everyone. Do it now. I know how to track down each and every one of you if you don't

Seriously, very cool movie. Matter of fact, I'd imagine Sharky and Layer Cake would make a nice double bill!
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Home Alone