Page 53 of 340 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 8494

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beautiful.
    Your screencap looks sharper than mine. Did you do your own screencap? Could just be the focus or a product of the restoration at those points....

...or you have better software than me....

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume II
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume II
    When you say "Volume II" are you telling us that is as far as you could turn the volume up without the cheesey dialogue driving you crazy?

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Harmonica is correct... It's very innovative for it's day. Some of it would still be innovative. The director obviously had a very good vision and understanding of the camera (or ability to communicate with the cinematographer). He was able to create incredible tension with many of the shots (as well as get some very very good acting out of the cast).

I watched it with the orchestra soundtrack (it's a silent movie). I intend to watch the commentary, but haven't as of yet.

The quality of the film restoration is also very good (and it's obvious the source gave them something to work with). There's a fly buzzing around that should get billed in the credits.

I'm curious if a real corpse was used at the end for the flames. I was surprised the movie actually went there because I didn't figure they had the technology to make that look realistic. I expected to see smoke around Joan and then a cut to the crowd of onlookers and let their faces and reactions tell the rest. It looked realistic to me.

This movie went to some dark places (ie: the body in flames, the worms in the skull, etc) .

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"The Island"

I enjoyed it for what it was.

"Blade: Trinity"

I really liked this film. There were a couple of different endings, depending on which version of the film you watched. I still liked the first one better, but this was decent.

"Bourne Supremacy"

Once again, I enjoyed it, but I really don't like Matt Damon and his acting skills.

I purchased and watched the following movies over the weekend:

Bottle Rocket
    The Royal Tenenbaums (Criterion Collection, like $16 bucks at BB)
    Magnolia
    Kung Fu Hustle
    The Sting
    :thepacers

Quote Originally Posted by BluBlood
    I purchased and watched the following movies over the weekend:

Bottle Rocket
    The Royal Tenenbaums (Criterion Collection, like $16 bucks at BB)
    Magnolia
    Kung Fu Hustle
    The Sting
    Man, I love BR, RT and Magnolia. I've got Kung Fu Hustle, but haven't watched it yet.

How did you like Bottle Rocket. I sat people down and forced them to watch it when it first came out on video. I really enjoyed it.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Man, I love BR, RT and Magnolia. I've got Kung Fu Hustle, but haven't watched it yet.

How did you like Bottle Rocket. I sat people down and forced them to watch it when it first came out on video. I really enjoyed it.
    I liked Bottle Rocket. It was actually my first time watching the movie (I feel ashamed prolonging it so long, because i am a big fan of Wes Anderson's)

I usually don't care for Owen Wilson as an actor, i think he's best as a writer. But in BR, he had me rolling. His best performance IMO.
    :thepacers

What is "Bottle Rocket" Who is in it, when did it come out, what type of movie is it

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    What is "Bottle Rocket" Who is in it, when did it come out, what type of movie is it
    A description of the plot, or what there is of it, doesn't really do the pleasure of the film justice. It was Wes Anderson's first commercial film and stars Owen and Luke Wilson as best friends. Luke is so taken by his friend's good-natured and optimistic plans, that he goes along with his unrealistic schemings to hilarious results. James Caan also appears as a sort of local crime figure. The characters make the film, IMO and it isn't cluttered like I find Anderson's other films. Just very winsome interactions amongst the main group of actors and their guileless attitude towards life. The secondary characters are also very unique, giving you just enough of a glimpse that you think there might be a very strange backstory attached to them.

It's by Wes Anderson, who wrote/directed Rushmore & Royal Tennebaums. It was his first movie and for some reason never found an audience. It's his usual dry humor, but not as grand as Rushmore or RT. Owen and Luke Wilson are in it, if you know them and it interesting to see them before they became part of the Hollywood acting machine. If you read a synopsis of the movie, it'll sound like "So what", but the WAY Anderson tells his story is pretty funny. It's not belly laugh out loouod funny. It's that kind of sustained amusement that makes it really enjoyable.

Basically, it's a crime caper committed by bungling youngsters lacking the self awareness to realize how clueless they are at times.

If you can find it, I really reccomend it if you like dry, quirky humor. It feels like what it is: a small indie film by a first time director, but enjoyable, none-the-less. I think if you liked Rushmore, you'd like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BluBlood
    I liked Bottle Rocket. It was actually my first time watching the movie (I feel ashamed prolonging it so long, because i am a big fan of Wes Anderson's)

I usually don't care for Owen Wilson as an actor, I think he's best as a writer. But in BR, he had me rolling. His best performance IMO.
    Yeah, I actually find Owen annoying as hell, BUT he's hilarious in BR. He's got this sensitive guy persona now that he trots out for the majority of his films that bugs the crap outta me.

I refuse to watch the Starsky and Hutch remake becasue a.) I suspect he's doing it again and b) I think Ben Stiller is one of the biggest no-talents in Hollywood. He's the Steve Guttenburg of the modern era.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Just bought:

- Casualty of War
    - Requiem for a Dream
    - From Dusk Till Dawn

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Yeah, I actually find Owen annoying as hell, BUT he's hilarious in BR. He's got this sensitive guy persona now that he trots out for the majority of his films that bugs the crap outta me.

I refuse to watch the Starsky and Hutch remake becasue a.) I suspect he's doing it again and b) I think Ben Stiller is one of the biggest no-talents in Hollywood. He's the Steve Guttenburg of the modern era.
    Yes, Owens IS annoying and you are doing the right thing, I suspected the Starsky and Hutch remake would suck, but got talked into renting it anyway. I really don't understand how that happenned, but I rented it (SHAME ON ME!!! ). The movie sucks really badly, sorry I waisted my time on it.

But, Owens is ok in that other movie? Hmmm... maybe I'll look something up about it on the I-net and see it sometime.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    When you say "Volume II" are you telling us that is as far as you could turn the volume up without the cheesey dialogue driving you crazy?

-Bball
    Clone Wars is a cartoon that covers the time between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The ending of Volume II leads directly into the opening of Revenge of the Sith. They spend more time fighting the Clone Wars and less time talking, so the dialogue isn't a big problem. There are also key points in the saga, including the knighting of Anakin and the capture of Palpatine.

I recommend it for fans of Star Wars.......

(Oh and your screen cap looks like it came from a janitor's closet in a mental institution.........)
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Clone Wars is a cartoon that covers the time between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The ending of Volume II leads directly into the opening of Revenge of the Sith. They spend more time fighting the Clone Wars and less time talking, so the dialogue isn't a big problem. There are also key points in the saga, including the knighting of Anakin and the capture of Palpatine.

I recommend it for fans of Star Wars.......

(Oh and your screen cap looks like it came from a janitor's closet in a mental institution.........)

I forgot about the animated stuff.

Yes, directly from the janitor's closet. I don't yet have the heart to change Joan for something else.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Nerd.
    Mood

"Alexander"

Do not watch this movie. It is very boring and not very good at all. Colin Farrell has to be the most overrated actor of this generation.

"SNL: The Best of Christopher Walken"

Hilarious. Walken is my favorite actor of all time. I've got a fever! And the only prescription is...more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Hilarious. Walken is my favorite actor of all time.
    Have you seen At Close Range? He and Sean Penn's finest moment IMO.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    Have you seen At Close Range? He and Sean Penn's finest moment IMO.
    No, I haven't seen that movie, but I will look it up and see if I can find a copy of it.

"Madison"

(No, not Billy Madison). It's a movie made in Madison, IN about the Regatta and '71 Gold Cup.

I didn't expect much but I thought it would be neat to see since it was filmed in Madison and had some narration by Mellencamp (playing the voice of the son of Jim McCormick (who's the central character). It's based on real events.

This movie was not nearly as cheaply made as I expected (considering it's short theatrical run before going to video... I'm not even sure it didn't go straight to video after the premiere). It's well acted (Jim Caviezel is the star, Bruce Dern is also in it). It has nice pacing. A good story.

It's a sports movie in the mold of Hooisers, Rudy and I suppose Miracle too. It's not just about the boat racing. It's about the town, the people, their lives... and a moment in history. It transcends the sport that surrounds it and goes deeper. It's not Days of Thunder or Dodgeball.

Maybe I am a sucker for those type of movies but I really enjoyed this movie. I think it is a shame it didn't get the national exposure (and thus recognition) it deserved.

And I recommend watching the closing credits as well... they show snippets of the ABC Wide World of Sports video from the actual 1971 event that climaxes the movie.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I finally made it to Narnia. It was good film with a real suprise for me, I have never read the books.

I don't see how they can make a running series of these though, but they will give it the old college try.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We watched SAW last night on Showtime IN Demand. It was much different than I expected. I thought it was going to be more gore. That it wasn't actually made it better. A decent suspense thriller. Now we have to see SAW II.

Harmonica

The Last Detail (1973). Classic Nicholson.

The Constant Gardener (2005). Well-shot and well-told, but not my cup o' tea exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleLip
    Nobody Knows (2004) Just came out on DVD a couple weeks ago.

Great movie, one of the best I have seen for quite a while. Director and writer Hirokazu Koreeda did an amazing job putting this movie together, it was unbelieveable. Its a very emotional movie, it also really puts tough times into perspective when you compare what these kids have been through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    I've read about this and have been on the fence about whether or not to buy it. Looks like I might have to check it out. Great. Another DVD to add to the heap.
    Just wondered if you have seen this movie yet? After rewatching it multiple times it has become one of my top 5 fav movies.

Recently watched:
    Good Night and Good Luck
    Jarhead
    Syriana (3rd time)
    Broken Flowers
    Capote

beaversnducks311

my roommate and i are watching Pulp Fiction right now.....earlier i rented "dead man walking", "i heart huckabees", and the original "psycho". i'm anxious to watch them.

Thumbs up Re: What movie did you last watch?

Saw The Chronicles of Narnia last week while on vacation. I enjoyed it.
    Just took my daugther to see it... very good.

Why Not Us ?